PDA

View Full Version : Neo4All suggestions to Chui

trickytree
September 14th, 2005, 09:39
Hi,

Just tried Neo4All and am extremely impressed.

The only downside I find is with loading/saving, do we have to go back to the interface screens while this is happening? It does break up the 'feel' of the game considerably, I'd prefer to stay with the game and maybe show a disc icon in the corner as DCastaway does?

Also when loading the disc drive seems to stop, then spin up again for every load. Can this be prevented? It does add a couple of seconds to each load.

Overall though it's an excellent emulator (as is your other DC stuff), thank you.

BaldMonk
September 14th, 2005, 10:39
Wow, I didn't realise that I was still signed up here... It's been so damn long. Haha.
Yeah, I had no idea there was a version 2 of his emu... I musta missed the announcment. Man, it's pretty much full speed. I actually think for sure that it is. I emailed him yesterday with a couple of suggestions and bugs... they were....

1) Swap the buttons around. On the real Neo Geo the A + B buttons are the top 2. But on the Dreamcast they're the bottom 2. Makes it a little confusing when first playin a game.

2) Of all the games I've tested, they all do this. If you use the "select" button at any time, especially in the menu, then while playing the game it pauses and unpauses without anything being pressed. The select button is the pause button for the Neo Geo.

3) You may want to make the return to menu feature activate by pressing both shoulder buttons. I've accidentially pressed the left trigger a few times during play ^_-

4) If you go to the menu while pushing in any direction, when you come back your character will constantly be stuck in that direction. It might be the same bug with the select button?

5) If it's possible, remove the custom "loading" screen. It's nice and all, and I like the remix of the Neo Geo tune, but it disrupts the flow of the game. Maybe just a black screen with the Neo4all Logo gradually being drawn as it loads or something?

6) I didn't notice this one at first, and it still doesn't bother me at all, but the backgrounds on the Fighting games (Samurai Showdown 4 and World Heroes Perfect for example) move really really fast. Much faster than they're supposed to.

7) Fatal Fury and Metal Slug seem to be the only games I tested with sound problems. Metal Slug's "pick up item" noise goes for a bit longer than it should. Fatal Fury often doesn't have sound effects and it plays the wrong music on all stages.

Man, I thought the last release was as fast as the Neo Geo CD would ever be emulated on the Dreamcast... I'm so glad I was wrong... I'm off to play some Samurai Showdown 4... Woooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

chui
September 14th, 2005, 12:21
I think that NEO4ALL will be the best homebrew emulator for Dreamcast.

At last days, we are working a new NEO4ALL release.

New features just implemented:

1- FAME fixes. Speed up and now works NeoTurf Masters.
2- New implement of create tiles and fonts (assembler 1-pass store queues). Very very fast, speed up again.
3- Background thread for change cdaudio track and vmu saving.
4- No switch 'loading screen'.
5- New auto-frameskip method, much exact.
6- Sound render improvements.
7- Use new SDL: sound and events improvements.

Now, we want another features for this relese:

1- Patch swap A,B buttons.
2- Try patch 'select' problem.
3- Change enter menu with L+R triggers.
4- Clean events after menu.
5- Solve little FAME cycle-problem with DIV opcodes.

Sound problems will be fix at future releases, NEO4ALL needs a new Z80 core and fixes.

BaldMonk
September 14th, 2005, 12:50
Well, it's definatly on it's way to being the best emulator... but then again, UAE4all is brilliant aswell... So it's hard to choose what's better ;)

Dude, the sound is already near perfect as far as I can tell. Just a few games have issues.

I look forward to playing with the next version... but this current one will DEFINATLY keep me busy ;)

trickytree
September 14th, 2005, 14:52
Awesome news - can't wait!

kingbuzzo
September 14th, 2005, 15:28
ahem, let's not forget arcade stick support ahem

by this I meean support for C and Z buttons since there's none

and some button config as well.

thanks!

DARKGATE
September 14th, 2005, 17:34
a new version di NEO4ALL o_o?
But excuse me For me is perfect : |
:) however good work.

P.S. I hope wich made a new version of emu AMIGA UAE4ALL, This emu has necessity of more work :|
NEO4ALL repeat for me is P E R F E C T ^_^
My list for uae4all continue at the end of this week. :) look on your monitors, auhahuahuahu =D.

chui
September 14th, 2005, 18:03
UAE4ALL never runs like NEO4ALL, but can run more games and more fast using a bit assembler optimizations.

kingbuzzo -> i don't know how use C and Z buttons.

Other freshmeat-new:
Today, i will compile first prototype of SNES4ALL under Dreamcast!!!!
A new project of SuperNintendo emulator for Dreamcast and GPX2 by Fox68k, Franxis and me.
It's a remix of last snes9x and snes9x Zaurus port (SDL video). Also, i convert Unix ioctl audio to SDL audio. Now, it's compile under Windows and GNU/Linux.

What do you think about another SuperNintendo emulator for Dreamcast?

bender
September 14th, 2005, 18:46
:o OMG .
That's incredible news, chui.
If you three, can get the enhancements in asm that are needed for the emu, consider doing it guys. You know, is one of the most awaited emus (if not the most)
I like more the idea of the perfect dcastaway, neo4all,uae4all or the spectrum emu before of this. Perhaps this snes emu would be more interesting for people though. If you are going with it, remember that the dsnes team liberated the main cpu core in sh asm, so you can use it without needing to make your own one(scherzo's port already has it ;) )
thanks for making everything possible :D

DARKGATE
September 14th, 2005, 19:06
:) i understand wich uae4all, don't work my to perfect speed, but now the emu speed is F A N T A S T I C , i don't pretend of more, is marvelous. but i see wich a some of games "LIONHEARTH, AGONY, JIM POWER" don't work, and in the alpha version work very well ,"JIM POWER NO" but LIONHEART i think 95% of speed O_O, however if someone help me to made the list of games wich don't work, in my thread of list compatibility, i appretiate very much :|.
This week was terrible, i made very work -___-,.
snes4all O____O ?
I don't know what tell you chui, are INCREDIBLE :)
P.S. i wait also next brillants emu of old computers of RUI =D "dragon, enterprise"
And i prey every day for see emu of neogeo pocket of great GPF, AND PC-ENGINE of QUZAR. good work at all and sincerly thank you.

BaldMonk
September 14th, 2005, 21:57
ahem, let's not forget arcade stick support ahem

by this I meean support for C and Z buttons since there's none

and some button config as well.

thanks!

The Neo Geo only has 4 game buttons. Using C and Z is pointless. They are needed for select and the menu buttons of the emulator. :)

SNES4all??? Awesome... If you past work is anything to go by, then it'll blow Dreamsnes out of the water. :)

qatmix
September 14th, 2005, 23:06
Its been a while since I posted, but I just want to say, Chui you are doing an excellent Job.. Support for the Arcade stick would be really great for negeo if possible. Did I also ready that it would load std Nep geo roms? (the small ones which will run in the DC memory)

Snes would be great as well, i look forward to seeign what you can achieve with that

dcsteve
September 14th, 2005, 23:47
dreamcast already has 2 good snes emulators, but if u can make snes4all faster than those, then THAT would be amazing. Im more interested in your VBA emu of coarse because GPF took your gp32 port of it, and it runs very slow (~4fps) and buggy on dc.

quzar
September 15th, 2005, 07:57
The Neo Geo only has 4 game buttons. Using C and Z is pointless. They are needed for select and the menu buttons of the emulator. :)

SNES4all??? Awesome... If you past work is anything to go by, then it'll blow Dreamsnes out of the water. :)

the point is that it relies on analog triggers, which arcade sticks do not have.

BaldMonk
September 15th, 2005, 09:04
the point is that it relies on analog triggers, which arcade sticks do not have.

Yeah, but I thought the Arcade stick just replaced them as the last 2 buttons... Is that not the case?.... Ah, I think I get it... Map the Menu and select buttons to those last 2 arcade buttons also? Ahhhhh. Makes perfect sense then :)

quzar
September 15th, 2005, 16:44
Some arcade sticks do, some don't. For most C and Z are actually C and Z, but some map it to trigger all the way pressed/not pressed.

kingbuzzo
September 15th, 2005, 16:50
If you have an arcade stick that is modded or setup in the neogeo style button config, then you wont be able to play neo4all.

here's how it should be for a 6button arcade stick

A=A
X=B
Y=C
Z=D

some games have issues with their own button config as well....they just wont work!

dcsteve
September 15th, 2005, 17:47
A lot of people want to see this. Look at
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=71567

trickytree
September 15th, 2005, 18:49
A lot of people want to see this. Look at
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=71567

I'd rather see improvements to NEO4ALL first, but then I'm the kind of person who can't leave things unfinished :)

Of course it's not down to us though!

Eric
September 17th, 2005, 12:46
I wouldnt mind seeing NEO4ALL being completed aswell my friend but people have waited alongtime to see a very completed SNES emu. I think these guys might be able to do it every emulator so far as shown some good improvements over other emulators. Keep up the good work guys.

Eric

kingbuzzo
September 21st, 2005, 04:34
well, even though I can't play the fighters very well with this emu, the shmups are amazing.

Last resort runs sooo smooth. haven't tried 2player though.

Viewpoint is PERFECT

Pulstar runs perfect with no sfx. around 90% with sfx

Ironclad seems choppy. no sfx it seems. CDDA is buggy too.

chui
September 21st, 2005, 12:11
About neo4all pad buttons:

http://www.lumental.com/sgrunger/eBay/DSCN0951a.jpg

Next release, i write a button config submenu, but current config is correct one:

A = A, B = B, X = C and Y = D.

boule
September 21st, 2005, 14:30
Next release, i write a button config submenu
yesss...

Thanks Chui ,i'm using an arcade stick to play this emu and the button configuration was not appropriate (for this arcade stick^^ , i understand it's correct for the DC pad)

trickytree
September 21st, 2005, 15:35
Chui, if you can't work out how to use the Z + C buttons on the arcade stick, then could you allow for the emu menu to be accessed on the port 2 joypad? Then at least we could use a stick in port 1 for playing the games, and the 2nd joypad for accessing the menu.

Thanks.

Christuserloeser
September 23rd, 2005, 01:47
Chui & Fox68K, I'd like to thank both of you very much :)

What do you think about another SuperNintendo emulator for Dreamcast?

Great! Please get in contact with Scherzo (SuperFamicast) for this. Maybe he'd like to join the SNES4All team ?

DARKGATE
September 24th, 2005, 22:08
If scherzo enter for work on project snes4all, i think wich can be marvelous, :) boys you are greats.
P.S. I think wich your are the real creators of dreamcast, SEGA , have only abandon his system and lost credibility, YOUR CODERS DREAMCAST and hope in future many other boys can work on a great and incredibile DREAM.
YOUR CODERS ARE THE DREAM-CAST ^_^.

quzar
September 24th, 2005, 23:35
Chui & Fox68K, I'd like to thank both of you very much :)

Great! Please get in contact with Scherzo (SuperFamicast) for this. Maybe he'd like to join the SNES4All team ?

I don't understand why you don't see why things like this are supposed to happen the other way around. Someone who is just starting isn't supposed to ask the person already there to join them, he is supposed to ask to join the current project. At least from my point of view, and that of most of the other coders I speak to as friends, is that it would be quite insulting if someone approached them asking them to join a project that would basically throw away the work they had done previously as opposed to being asked if someone can help them with their current project.

Christuserloeser
September 26th, 2005, 02:14
Regarding SNES4All: I meant to suggest to build a team that loves to see SNES games emulated on a DC. Working together. That's all. There's no reason to work against each other. Also I like SuperFamicast as a name for a SuperNES emu for DC ;)

Chui: One of my suggestions to improve Neo4All would be a fix of the screen resolution:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8262

Quzar, NeoDC has a pretty much perfect resolution. Maybe you guys could work together on this ?

quzar
September 26th, 2005, 02:25
It hasn't been done because it isn't really possible. Chui had fox68k rewrite the entire gl video renderer from gneogeo into sh-asm, which is one of the reasons it is faster than neodc, in fact one of the biggest reasons, considering i've tested neodc with fame. in order for him to fix the resolution, major changes would have to be made to the renderer (from what i can tell), so there isn't really a way to get around it. also, the fact that it uses pvr tiles makes for a blurry renderer overall even if it was at the proper aspect ratios because of the fact that floating point numbers (which are used to define the positions of the tiles) are 'fuzzy' numbers.

Eric
October 26th, 2005, 16:35
Very good aspect quzar but i was wondering how things are going with NeoDC cause i understood you were having problems with your pc. Also Chui i have finally tested out Neo4All to me i couldnt find a difference between the 2 Metal Slug being a bit faster and some games work on Neo4all that dont on NeoDC but it goes both ways aswell. Both emu's are great and cant wait to see what comes out of Quzars sleeve for the next release of NeoDC.

Eric

quzar
October 27th, 2005, 01:41
It seems I misread Eric's post twice.

chui
October 27th, 2005, 19:56
Remember this topic, quzar ... relax yourself

dcsteve
November 6th, 2005, 00:28
any updates (news), its been a couple months since the 1st compile of SNES4all.

DCDayDreamer
November 6th, 2005, 01:50
any updates (news), its been a couple months since the 1st compile of SNES4all.

What's that question got to do with Neo4all suggestions?

You've been in the scene long enough to know that badgering coders for news does no good at all, when there's anything worth releasing (news or binaries), chui will do it, just wait like the rest of us have to.

Codex
December 14th, 2005, 15:37
Hi,

First of all thx for your emu. :)

working bioses, rom sets, etc..
Just for information, here are the bios files for NEO4ALL (and on the right side in blue with the real names in accord with MAME):

aes-bios.bin 128k (D27A71F1) --> same name as for MAME/WK/FBA/NEB
sfix.sfx 128k (354029FC ) --> same
name as for MAME/WK/FBA/NEB

neo-geo.rom 128k (9036D879) --> sp-s2.sp1 128k (9036D879) real name in accord with MAME/WK/FBA/NEB
ng-lo.rom 128k (5A86CFF2) --> perhaps 000-lo.lo in accord with MAME/WK/FBA/NEB, but there is no "ng-lo.rom" CRC: 5A86CFF2 nowadays in the neogeo.zip in accord with other emus...
It's easier for the "noobs" to find out the real NEO4ALL bios files, and how to rename them...

You can convert all Neo Geo roms in accord with the actual MAME rom set, except those 29 roms, that don't run on NEO4ALL...

3countb.zip - Neo-Geo 3 Count Bout / Fire Suplex
aof3.zip - Neo-Geo Art of Fighting 3 - The Path of the Warrior / Art of Fighting - Ryuuko no Ken Gaiden
bjourney.zip - Neo-Geo Blue's Journey / Raguy
blazstar.zip - Neo-Geo Blazing Star
goalx3.zip - Neo-Geo Goal! Goal! Goal!
kabukikl.zip - Neo-Geo Far East of Eden - Kabuki Klash / Tengai Makyou - Shin Den
kizuna.zip - Neo-Geo Kizuna Encounter - Super Tag Battle / Fu'un Super Tag Battle
kotm2.zip - Neo-Geo King of the Monsters 2 - The Next Thing
lastblad.zip - Neo-Geo Last Blade / Bakumatsu Roman - Gekka no Kenshi, The (set 1)
magdrop3.zip - Neo-Geo Magical Drop III
mslug.zip - Neo-Geo Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001
neobombe.zip - Neo-Geo Neo Bomberman
neodrift.zip - Neo-Geo Neo Drift Out - New Technology
ninjamas.zip - Neo-Geo Ninja Master's - haoh-ninpo-cho
pspikes2.zip - Neo-Geo Power Spikes II
pulstar.zip - Neo-Geo Pulstar
ragnagrd.zip - Neo-Geo Ragnagard / Shin-Oh-Ken
rbffspec.zip - Neo-Geo Real Bout Fatal Fury Special / Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special
samsho3.zip - Neo-Geo Samurai Shodown III / Samurai Spirits - Zankurou Musouken (set 1)
samsho4.zip - Neo-Geo Samurai Shodown IV - Amakusa's Revenge / Samurai Spirits - Amakusa Kourin
shocktra.zip - Neo-Geo Shock Troopers (set 2)
shocktro.zip - Neo-Geo Shock Troopers (set 1)
sonicwi3.zip - Neo-Geo Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3
ssideki4.zip - Neo-Geo Ultimate 11 - The SNK Football Championship / Tokuten Ou - Honoo no Libero, The
turfmast.zip - Neo-Geo Neo Turf Masters / Big Tournament Golf
twinspri.zip - Neo-Geo Twinkle Star Sprites
tws96.zip - Neo-Geo Tecmo World Soccer '96
wakuwak7.zip - Neo-Geo Waku Waku 7
whp.zip - Neo-Geo World Heroes Perfect
wjammers.zip - Neo-Geo Windjammers / Flying Power Disc
For this 29 games you have to convert the old Neo Geo roms befor MAME v0.74u4 or before WinKawaks v1.49... You can easily find them in WinKawaks 1.46 or Kawa-X (Xbox) e.g...

So after all those little infos I have something to ask Chui:

E.G.: sonicwi3.zip (Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3) for NEO4ALL:
http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/8238/sonicwi38kf.png

sonicwi3.zip (Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3) in accord with MAME
/WinKawaks/Nebula/FBA (nowadays):
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5602/newsonicwi36vj.png

You can see that only the C's roms changed, so that's why if you convert sonicwi3.zip from actual MAME/WK/Neb/FBA set, you will get some bad graphics with NEO4ALL...

Here the Winkawaks v1.55 ClrMamePro.dat (http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=9174476) & some good Fully Decrypted Sets if your are interested in... And about the latest Neo Geo dumps (Metal Slug 5, kof2003, samsho5, samsh5sp and Pochi Nyaa), I didn't have time to check for some good "fully decrypted" sets...

Saludos