PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Beware- Nintendos Warning

wraggster
April 22nd, 2008, 01:48
Your Wii Console and the Wii Network Service are not designed for use with any unauthorized device or any non-licensed accessory. You may not use any such device in connection with your Wii Console or Wii Network Service. Such use may be illegal, voids any warranty and is a breach by you of this agreement. Nintendo may take steps to disable any unauthorized device installed in your Wii Console, including, but not limited to detecting and disabling your Wii Console through the Wii Network Service and/or game software. If a modification is detected, your access to the Wii Network Service may be disabled and/or games may be unplayable until the modification is removed. Further, such use may lead to injury to yourself or others and may cause performance issues and/or damage to your Wii Console and the Wii Network Service. Nintendo (as well as any Nintendo licensee or distributor) is not responsible for any damage or loss caused by the use of such device or non-licensed accessory.

Pirating of Virtual Console games can be easily detected, best stick to free emulators :)

Shadowblind
April 22nd, 2008, 01:51
Lol.

How much can a company really do to cut down the piracy? If we see from Sony who has had a bit more experience with pirates then Ninty has, then pirates are unstoppable :(

markl187ld
April 22nd, 2008, 02:00
That T&C quote seems far more focussed on mod chipping than on VC piracy, hence "accessory" and "device". I don't imagine we'll see many people ripping their Wiis open to remove their chips because of this.

The Hombrew Hunter
April 22nd, 2008, 02:01
AMEN, Nintendo.

Keep those pirates at bay so the rest of us can /enjoy/ the possibilities that have opened up.

Capt_Trips
April 22nd, 2008, 02:16
First, Nintendo must be careful, in America at least. The US disregards half of the copyright conventions we are a party too (UK and Hong Kong can bugger off). Then we have fair use. And last to argue is the "useful" of "useful arts" in the US Constitution. The Wii is arguably a weapon of war designed to destroy us internally and idely (Boxing anyone??)

We own the hardware and usage rights to the operating system and all "End User Lisence Agreements" are on their face presented after the point of purchase and "uncontionable on their face," otherwise unenforcable by any court (of law).

Second, Hiroshima and Nagasaki do not justify the wholesale rape of American youth by Nintendo (of America.)

Third, Nintendo can keep their warrenty: Super Smash Brothers and absolute crap, or Chess?

Last, I want to know, If one buys Virtual Console Zelda, does the creator of Zelda get a royalty, and a pension fund, and a Digital Medium Award? I highly doubt it.

And beside the point, as out of my mind I may be,

Does Nintendo want a class action law suit??

Surely deliberatly breaking your product after the point of sale is unfair and monopolistic: See PS2 Laser scandal.

Is anyone as infuriated over this as I am?:eek:

"Everytime you buy from Nintendo God kills a kitten."

Thanks again to everyone working on the wii, and sorry if my comments are timeless and out of place.

Eviltaco64
April 22nd, 2008, 02:25
Serves pirates right.
Although I havent exactly NOT pirated games from Nintendo.

markl187ld
April 22nd, 2008, 02:25
Is anyone as infuriated over this as I am?:eek:
Not to the point where I have to make rambling nonsensical posts.

gamer4250
April 22nd, 2008, 02:36
Further, such use may lead to injury to yourself or others and may cause performance issues and/or damage to your Wii Console and the Wii Network Service.

UHHHH is anyone else creeped out by that? But at least they're finally cracking down on the cheaters online!

crouchingleech
April 22nd, 2008, 03:00
What's the source of that warning?

h2923j42n2
April 22nd, 2008, 03:27
What's the source of that warning?

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/privacyEULA.jsp

rememberthe8bit
April 22nd, 2008, 03:53
People have the right to modify their consoles in whatever way they choose. Nintendo disabling consoles because they're modified sounds a little too over the top to me. Usually, the industry standard approach is to ban the console from any online functionality, rather than bricking it. And, honestly, people will always find a way to play pirated games.

Also, wasn't there a U.S. court case a while back that said that you can use whatever accessories you want, and not void the warranty?

kingslime80
April 22nd, 2008, 04:07
Do MOD chips count as Accessories in that case?

Lucky me, I'm in Canada. The "Reasonable Use Act" rocks. :)

SnoopKatt
April 22nd, 2008, 04:10
^Nah, warranties are basically under the sellers' condition. The government may have some loose rules on warranties, but modding definitely isn't covered.

markl187ld
April 22nd, 2008, 04:39
^Nah, warranties are basically under the sellers' condition. The government may have some loose rules on warranties, but modding definitely isn't covered.
Don't know about that. Say you buy a car and put 20" rims on it, next day the engine blows up. Are you saying the seller isn't responsible because you modded it?

kingslime80
April 22nd, 2008, 05:00
Well I know that on most computers if you open the case it invalidates the warranty, maybe they have some similar detection.

acg12xu
April 22nd, 2008, 05:01
Don't know about that. Say you buy a car and put 20" rims on it, next day the engine blows up. Are you saying the seller isn't responsible because you modded it?

If you change engine parts I'm sure it voids the warranty.

tehnoir
April 22nd, 2008, 05:14

Well if your Wii bricks and all you have done is add decorations to the outside of the case, I'm sure you're still covered.

SnoopKatt
April 22nd, 2008, 05:37
That's completely different. That's a CAR warranty, not a console warranty. I'm sure most decent car warranties will help you out on that one. If a non-related problem happens, then of course it's the seller's fault, but this is consoles, not cars.

Bottom line for the Wii (and just about every console) is that if you open it, you lose the warranty, and that's final. Even if it's a real defect that had nothing to do with your mod, you basically lose it all and you're on your own. I don't like it either, but it's their terms.

linkinworm
April 22nd, 2008, 10:16
i never really liked mod chips other than in my xbox(original) because of all the stuff you could install like avalaunch, i still brought origianls only had copies to test the games because im not spending £6 for a demo

splodger15
April 22nd, 2008, 11:03
I would take this with a pinch of salt just liked they used the threats on the Wii updates saying "If your console contains any illegal modifcation your console could become inoperable"

rememberthe8bit
April 22nd, 2008, 11:57
I really can't remember on the whole accessories thing. And, it is reasonable for Nintendo to say that opening your console voids your warranty.

I would take this with a pinch of salt just liked they used the threats on the Wii updates saying "If your console contains any illegal modifcation your console could become inoperable"

I totally forgot about that message. I don't like that one either. :P What is considered an illegal modification? Last time I checked, I can legally mod my console. (Though, I live in the U.S., other places could be different.)

____anders____
April 22nd, 2008, 15:25
aah, crap i got a d2ckey on a wii-clip about 3 week ago..

mcdougall57
April 22nd, 2008, 15:28
Further, such use may lead to injury to yourself or others

sounds like a physical threat to me haha

____anders____
April 22nd, 2008, 17:00
sounds like a physical threat to me haha

yeah, it does;)

SchmuckofNI
April 22nd, 2008, 22:53
I wonder if Nintendo can detect the Twilight hack...

____anders____
April 22nd, 2008, 23:14
I wonder if Nintendo can detect the Twilight hack...

my guess:
they can only detect it if you're trying to update the wii firmware with the homebrew channel installed, but that's a long shot though..

just remove the channel when you update your wii in the future, and they can't detect it..

EDIT: i hope the d2ckey is just as stealth as they say it is..

SirDaShadow
April 23rd, 2008, 10:11
They already are enforcing this. I tried to connect to the Nintendo WFC Online and I was getting errors left and right. I tweaked my router to death and nothing worked. Then as I was looking for a solution someone suggested to unplug everything from the wii and try again. I had an AGP and a $3 Intec Gamecube 32MB memory card, so I unplugged them both and lo and behold I connected with no problems. Seems like Nintendo didn't like the memory card, thinking it was an SDCard adapter or Wiikey.

Baboon
April 23rd, 2008, 11:19
Well Microsoft have very easily clamped down hard on modded (soft modded or chipped) xbox machines so I dont see why it would be any different for Nintendo? ...MS get the ban hammer out if they detect anything slightly suspect (they did this on xbox 1 and also now xbox 360). All the people on here saying 'they can't touch me' are just in denial.

Be afraid pirates be very afraid. lol

mcdougall57
April 23rd, 2008, 14:46
to be honest i really couldnt care if i got knocked of online or not ive got my xbox for that. online on the wii is poor at best

icecoolwas
April 23rd, 2008, 18:26
If you get kicked online on wii its an easy problem to fix, depends what they use right? I put it in a good to bad way Order.

1. Mac address Patcher, Would Patch your wii's wifi board with a completly random Mac address, and if u get banned again it will generate a new one.

2. A patcher that would patch your wii to connect to online through a wii made speedy proxy.. might not work to well though.

3. Wii firewall, will block anything from writing to the NAND Memory, There would be a channel to set it up and to disable etc.

4. A full Flash,IPL Format and Reinstallation of the firmware (Would be super dangerous, maybe they could build a flash Battery where u plug it in ur wii power input and it works like ur plugged into a wall socket, but it has a built in sensor for the flasher to check the batterys life, which would have to be like over 70% to do the flashing, would also require you to plug the normal wii's adapter into the battery just in case, and if u have a power cut your battery would take over, (still, flashing is dangerous)

deadthings
April 24th, 2008, 22:23
such use may lead to injury to yourself or others.

You see, as we always suspected. These Japanese corporations are all run by Yakuza, and if you mod your Wii they'll come round and slice off one of your little fingers!

Perhaps they'll only make Wiis explode instead?

I'm shaking in my boots Nintendo. Oooohhh!

D.

WhizzBang
April 24th, 2008, 22:41
Second, Hiroshima and Nagasaki do not justify the wholesale rape of American youth by Nintendo (of America.)

This is a ridiculous statement to make - I hope you were joking. Nobody is saying the holocaust perpetrated by the US 63 years ago is the reason why Nintendo make and sell computer games to children in the US. It is hardly rape as the kids can so 'no' if they want and they can go for Playstation or XBox instead.