PDA

View Full Version : graphDS v0.7 Released!!!

morganDS
April 26th, 2008, 22:35
Here's graphDS v0.7. I added tracing for Cartesian, parametric, and polar equations. You can use the D-Pad to scroll along the function and the bottom screen will display values for the independent and dependent variables. Or, if you prefer, you can enter a value for the independent variable and the cursor will jump to that point on the function. I also tweaked polar graphing so that it graphs 2x faster than before.

Edit: Download (free... see later post): graphDS v0.7 (http://dstats.net/download.php?file=http://robertson.heliohost.org/graphDS.zip)

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7830/graphds2ze5.th.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=graphds2ze5.jpg)

You can find more info at my site (http://robertson.heliohost.org). If you like graphDS and want to help me pay for college, you can make a donation (https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=oRoV1TZiHzSpRquW-eDROGK2WGVRnn3C4lbGwBMpIhGqT8bdfIZFYSVpwuu&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f822cfe4b06d0ea2b4eee6d2d0 c9cb9d6760b9370e77cd1d6). :)

gamev8
April 27th, 2008, 00:58
Is it still a donation if its mandatory? ;)

iofthestorm
April 27th, 2008, 04:06
Indeed, how can we find out if we like the program if we can't download it without paying?

paul3100
April 27th, 2008, 07:21
Well guys if you actually clicked on the download link then you would know this...

Order #56415: graphDS v0.7

Total:$0.89USD

Thats from paypal so i guess its not free! well almost at that price :D $0.89 / £0.46

paul

Stash23
April 27th, 2008, 08:08
Or if it's even compatible with our flash carts? In all honesty, I've come across some homebrews that wouldn't want to even function at boot-up.

Overall, I don't want to purchase something that has a probability of working the way it's intended.

Cid2Mizard
April 27th, 2008, 08:11
Donation OK but Obligation NO

YOU WIN A RED CARD :)

cYb0n
April 27th, 2008, 10:52
I don't know ANY other programmer for DS Homebrew who is as fixed on earning money as you..."Donation" is something totally different, what you do is to sell a product...and, btw, graphDS 0.6 isn't as good as it could be...you can't even see where the graph crosses the axis...you should add marks so we can directly read out the points where the graph crosses the X-Axis or Y-Axis... and I don't think anyone will "donate" for this, I wouldn't, I would donate for a really useful program (just like Emulators, SNEmulDS for example...

BTW in his signature you can still download graphDS0.6 if you didn't know...

morganDS
April 27th, 2008, 19:26
If you want to test out a previous version first, you can still download v0.6 here (http://dstats.net/download.php?file=http://robertson.heliohost.org/graphDS.zip).:)

Sorry, I forgot that we DON'T live in a capitalist society. Profit fuels innovation. I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but I've been working hard on this project for two months and if I want to charge for my product, I have that right. On the other hand, if you don't want to buy my product, you have that right. However, I don't think that it's very courteous for people to complain that they can't get something for nothing, especially when I've already released three major projects for the DS that can be downloaded for free from my site.

And where'd I ever say that the price for graphDS is a donation? I said that you can make a donation if you like my programs and want to support the cause, but nowhere does it say that paying a mandatory fee for downloading graphDS is a donation.

And as for you, Mr. cYb0n, I know that "graphDS 0.6 isn't as good as it could be". That's why it was released as v0.6: the program isn't finished yet. Let's see you come up with something better. I intend to add tick marks to the axes in a future version. In v0.7, I added tracing so that you can see the relationship between the independent and dependent variables.

Considering that graphing calculators cost $100-$150, I think that the final version will be a pretty good deal.

da_head
April 27th, 2008, 20:07
correct me if i'm wrong, but couldn't u just use wabbitds? (a fully function ti-83+ emulator) or is urs better somehow? o.O

morganDS
April 27th, 2008, 20:16
Sure you could. The TI-83+ by itself lacks many calculus-related tools, so it was my intent with graphDS to include some built-in functions like Riemann sums, Euler's Method, slope fields, etc. I am also going to try to implement a simple CAS for simplifying expressions and doing derivatives symbolically. But yeah, if you don't want to pay less than a buck for my program, go download wabbitds instead.:) I have it on my DS. And the next time you buy music from iTunes, castigate yourself for paying that excessive $.99 fee instead of just pirating it from limewire. Have a nice day.

da_head
April 27th, 2008, 20:38
And the next time you buy music from iTunes, castigate yourself for paying that excessive $.99 fee instead of just pirating it from limewire. Have a nice day.

take it easy. i was just wondering how urs was better...obviously i would just pirate music off limewire. lol

masterchief929
April 27th, 2008, 21:14
umm... its kinda stupid to make someone pay for your "game". i think someone should buy it and upload it to a different site so we can download it for free.

cory1492
April 27th, 2008, 22:13
Does 89 cents even cover the paypal fees for transferring cash using their service?

Any rate, giving a "Download here:" link that goes directly to paypal is somewhat more than misleading. My first reaction to such shady things is to assume the person behind it is shady. "Purchase here:" ... wasn't that difficult to type, and probably would avoid a lot of negativity. To me it's not the 89 cents, it's about being up front about it.

Not to mention the simple fact, the toolchain this was likely built with isn't pay per download either.

morganDS
April 29th, 2008, 00:15
umm... its kinda stupid to make someone pay for your "game". i think someone should buy it and upload it to a different site so we can download it for free.
How's it stupid (other than it's not very profitable:D)? If you think something's a rip-off, why don't you just not buy it?

Does 89 cents even cover the paypal fees for transferring cash using their service?

Any rate, giving a "Download here:" link that goes directly to paypal is somewhat more than misleading. My first reaction to such shady things is to assume the person behind it is shady. "Purchase here:" ... wasn't that difficult to type, and probably would avoid a lot of negativity. To me it's not the 89 cents, it's about being up front about it.
Paypal charges $.30 + 2.9%, so it's not like I was making that much. And about the shadiness... good point, I'll keep that in mind. The negativity seems mostly to be about the fact that I was charging for my product though.

Anyway, I think I've learned two lessons through this: 1) Selling homebrew isn't very profitable, and 2) the homebrew community is obviously quite hostile towards selling one's own work. For the mostly the first reason, I've decided to make graphDS freeware.

Download (free): graphDS v0.7 (http://dstats.net/download.php?file=http://robertson.heliohost.org/graphDS.zip)

gamev8
April 29th, 2008, 01:43
I for one am not opposing selling your work, However if your going to I would recommend not giving out early releases for free perhaps starting a beta tester list would be beneficial so that you can work out bugs with users that you trust not to leak your product, To summarize, Work until your project is complete and then sell it.
I would be very happy to buy this app in its full and complete form for around $4.00-$6.00 because its quite good.

DanTheManMS
April 30th, 2008, 01:00
While the whole "homebrew should be free" thing did cross my mind, in my case at least the problem was that your post sounded very much like "here's the download to v0.7 and please make a donation" rather than "v0.7 is only available to those who donate, please make a donation." That's what made it sound very shady to me.

If the product is good, people will pay for it. See no$gba for an example. I feel this has that potential, as long as you are up-front about the fact that it requires money.

I'm sure programming a graphing application isn't easy, and I commend you on your efforts. Keep it up.

cYb0n
April 30th, 2008, 14:37
I think it would be great if someone would upload it for us...I really want to know, how "much" money he earned by selling his little homebrew application, that doesn't really help you. Only the graph function is new, and this function is still not useful, just like I've already said: You can't even see where the graph crosses the axis or where it has its highest point or something like this. And that's what a graph application should show you, because this is the most important feature about a graph application...

I can only laugh about your 0.89$ for you application...if you want to receive money for your project, you better could visit bux.to and get some referrals...pooooor.....

morganDS
May 1st, 2008, 03:16
I think it would be great if someone would upload it for us...I really want to know, how "much" money he earned by selling his little homebrew application, that doesn't really help you. Only the graph function is new, and this function is still not useful, just like I've already said: You can't even see where the graph crosses the axis or where it has its highest point or something like this. And that's what a graph application should show you, because this is the most important feature about a graph application...

I can only laugh about your 0.89$ for you application...if you want to receive money for your project, you better could visit bux.to and get some referrals...pooooor.....

What are you rambling about?:rofl: Maybe you should go back and read previous posts before you make a fool of yourself by posting on a topic that you clearly know nothing about. Just a thought. Go ahead, Mr. cYbOn, outsmart me. Here's a special link (http://www.bytecommerce.com/buyproduct.aspx?id=2509) just for you. Why don't you buy graphDS v0.7 for $.79 and and then upload it somewhere where everyone can circumvent my evil ways and download it.:rofl: (Everyone else... just look in my signature...)

To gamev8 and DanTheManMS: Thanks. Advice heeded.

Drego
May 2nd, 2008, 14:37
Great Application.
I agree in most part that this probably should have been alittle more clear about the whole "Donation Required" thing, but in the long run, I am greatful that you have made it free to download. I personally use WabbitDS for my graphing needs, but I do understand that it has its limits which is also why I like your app. If I could through my 2 cents in:

1: For those of you who are looking for a simple calculator with massive potential, this is it. Those of you who want to stick with WabbitDS, It wouldn't hurt to try this out also. They are about the same, except there isn't much for Statistical work (unless I missed it somewhere). Other then that, it is just the GUI thats different :-P

2. @morganDS: I wouldn't take the criticism from some of the people here. Most of them have good things to say, while the select few... are kinda like bugs with gifts. The look creepy and can get under your skin sometimes, but other times they can act as a good judge of your own character.

Hope you don't mind my 2 cents and I say "Great Job" and don't give up.