PDA

View Full Version : OpenTyrianWii v0.9

wraggster
April 28th, 2008, 16:06
Nuvalo (http://www.nacionarcade.net/wiiscene-opentyrian-para-wii-1251/) has ported Opentyrian to the Nintendo Wii, heres the release details:

This is a wii adaptation of TYRIAN, the game edited by Eclipse and published by
Epic MegaGames.The original game was programmed by Jason Emery, illustrated by Daniel
Cook, and its music composed by Alexander Brandon and Andreas Molnar.

This port is based on OpenTyrian project code (http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/),
maintained by mindless2112, syntaxglitch,emacs.hacker, yuriks.br.

This README file was based on the README found on the OpentyriamPSP project.

GAMEPLAY
________
Tyrian is an arcade-style vertical scrolling shooter. The player controls a space ship
fitted with different weapons and enhanced energy shields. Money is earned by destroying
enemies and grabbing bonuses, which is then used to purchase upgrades such as weapons,
shields, energy generators, and different ships from interlevel menus. The game is fast
paced and presents a variety of enemies and bosses.

CONTROLS
--------
[ANALOG/DIGITAL PAD] MENU NAVIGATION & SHIP'S IN GAME MOVEMENTS
[A] Button 1/ Start
[b] Button 2/ ESCAPE (Cancel)
[Y] Button 3
[X] Button 4
[Z] ESCAPE (CANCEL)
[START] ENTER (Start)

INSTALLATION

To play with this game, you need a Wii homebrew enabled console (Twilight hack or Homebrew Channel). And you will
an SDCard .

To install this version of openTyriam:
- Copy the files "opentyriam-wii.elf" to the root directory of your sdcard, and rename it to boot.elf.
- Copy the directory tyrian and its contents to the root directory of your sdcard.

To play with this game:
- Insert the SDCard on the front SD adapter of your wii.
- On your wii, execute the file "tyrian.dol" using your favourite method for loading
aplications (Twilight hack or homebrew channel).

KNOWN ISSUES
------------
- Network play is not yet implemented.
- 2 player mode buttons are not mapped (might work, i diddnt tried it)
- The default SaveGame works, but the "Select new savegame" option doesn´t work,
as you cant type the name of the new gamesave.
- The Analog joystick does not work properly, use the Digital joy instead.
- No keyboard or wii joystick support
- Problems using TV in 480p or rgb components

TODO
____

- Solve the gamesave option, in order tbe able to select a new savegame.
- Add keyboard/wii joystick

Thanks to:

- mindless2112, syntaxglitch,emacs.hacker, yuriks.br and all the people behind the Opentyrian poroject port
DENISKA for his README file.
- All the gc-linux team

Download HERE (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/opentyrian-Wii.zip) and Give Feedback Via Comments

iofthestorm
April 28th, 2008, 18:01
Nice! Finally a homebrew game actually worth playing, even if it is a port of an (awesome) old DOS game.

lincruste
May 16th, 2008, 10:17
Hello, thanks for this information.

Since Opentyrian is GNU v2 licensed, aren't they supposed to release the source code and the license text or to make it available somewhere?:confused:
Just asking.

AshTR
May 17th, 2008, 22:38
Hello, thanks for this information.

Since Opentyrian is GNU v2 licensed, aren't they supposed to release the source code and the license text or to make it available somewhere?:confused:
Just asking.

Yep, they're supposed to. The OpenTyrian guys aren't pursuing that stuff yet but they probably will soon.

masterchief929
May 17th, 2008, 22:46
i'll have to try this later.

FGOD
May 19th, 2008, 16:34
is there any way to get old dos/win95 games converted to elf?

mbv401920150
May 20th, 2008, 16:25
I played in my old Pentium 1... these old days!

I wanted!

GPF
May 20th, 2008, 22:02
Yep, they're supposed to. The OpenTyrian guys aren't pursuing that stuff yet but they probably will soon.

Well just checked the developers's site and there is a link now to the source, looks like its a gc-linux port, or I am misreading the Makefile.

Troy(GPF)

Gideon007
May 21st, 2008, 09:38
is there any way to get old dos/win95 games converted to elf?
short answer: no
long answer: not directly :)
Some games are now open source and MAYBE it can be ported to the Wii/Gamecube. For other games there is an engine, like scummvm that can maybe be ported (scummvm IS ported).
Or if anyone ports Dosbox then maybe old Dosgames and Win 3.x games can be played on the Wii.

malefactor
May 21st, 2008, 11:55
It works, but saving doesn't. If you turn it off you have to start all over again :(

tttyyyyyyyy
May 28th, 2008, 22:43
It works, but saving doesn't. If you turn it off you have to start all over again :(

Here was an idea, though I am sure they already thought of it. Since they are using the GC part of it, is it possible to make use of the GCs keyboard connector? Works for the action replay, I'm sure they could figure it out. Might be able to save it then.

Cheezwizz
June 5th, 2008, 03:26
of course this game ends up being an unplayable piece of shit because even if you have a save already existing, you can't use it because of ONE LITTLE KEY. at the same time, you're ****ed if you happen to WIN the game because YOU NEED THAT KEY AGAIN. Thanks a bunch. If anyone wants to play the damn game they're better off going to their computer and playing Tyrian 2000.

Cheezwizz
June 5th, 2008, 04:54
Let me clarify by saying I HAVE pressed every button on my controller to no avail. It gives a specific button right in the instructions there, but that button didn't do it for me either. Is this your (the creator of this port's) fault or did I somehow get a bad copy?

KristenBaldousor
June 7th, 2008, 23:59
Man, people do like to bitch when thing don't go the way they want, do they...

Give the creator time, he is working on getting the saving done, its not something you can get right the first time, it takes time to program something the way you want it.

@Cheezwiz: It must be you, I just downloaded the last version of this game and works perfectly, just like the PC version. I'd suggest reset the game or reinstall it

Cheezwizz
June 9th, 2008, 00:30
Man, people do like to bitch when thing don't go the way they want, do they...

Give the creator time, he is working on getting the saving done, its not something you can get right the first time, it takes time to program something the way you want it.

@Cheezwiz: It must be you, I just downloaded the last version of this game and works perfectly, just like the PC version. I'd suggest reset the game or reinstall it

First of all, I DO have the latest version, and second of all, IT STILL DOESN'T WORK.

Agent D
July 13th, 2008, 01:55
When i run it in the homebrew channel its starts to go through the whole scrolling text readout then, stops and says "Can't locate tyrian.bz2, i checked and the file is on my sd card in the same folder it came in, anybody know whats up?