View Full Version : Im beginning cracking 2.0 . . .

YourStillWithMe
September 17th, 2005, 16:16
I would like to announce that I am starting a project to begin cracking the psp system 2.0 However I MIGHT need the 1.51 firmware system because I believe that should be the easiet to crack! Don't get insane yet im not asking for any form of donations or anything like team WAB did. Just so you know incase you insult my age lets forget that team WAB let you down and as we know of right now there not doing jack. I mean no disrespect to them but they did let you down after all. . . .

Anyway to give you some quick info on myself to let you know im not a complete moron

I am currently 20 years old, attending Quinnipiac University in Connecticut as a Sophmore, dating a girl named Rosey, and I was an honor roll student during high school and my previous high school years (not my middle school. . .I was a slacker there, haha) I also played basketball for three years, played football for two, was on the track team for four years, drama club for on year, and I played baseball as a freshman.

Once again that was just to let you know that im not like 12 and im thinking, "Wow! I have an idea."

What I would appreciate is things that you know that have been tried that DID NOT WORK or ideas. Once again if you post here please only give me ideas or report things that HAVE NOT WORKED no flaming of the sort please

Also do not say "swap the memory sticks" because I dont have 2 as of right now and i think thats a one way ticket to a vegtable. If team WAB could get that far with on memory stick so could I. Wish me luck

SoQb0nc5r
September 17th, 2005, 16:23
I am with you mate, i need a 2.0 downgrade... i cannot provide 1.51 (i got a 2.00) and any money, but i will support u cos there is no1 else to support (i think). GOOD LUCK!

but have you made any breakthroughs? or tried anything that makes you sure? hope u have ;)

pspfan
September 18th, 2005, 01:11
Good luck...you're going to need it. But if you are successful you will be famous and everyone will love you, hehe. (There's a little motivation, I guess.) I, too, can't get you 1.51, nor can I give you ideas or things that don't work, but I do wish you a ton of good luck.

Humbug
September 18th, 2005, 01:56
the answer is not to downgrade 2.00 but merly crack it to run homebrew you are not gonna downgrade a psp this century

nonzero
September 18th, 2005, 02:04
I am currently 20 years old, attending Quinnipiac University in Connecticut as a Sophmore, dating a girl named Rosey, and I was an honor roll student during high school and my previous high school years (not my middle school. . .I was a slacker there, haha) I also played basketball for three years, played football for two, was on the track team for four years, drama club for on year, and I played baseball as a freshman.

Even though you give us all this detail (that whilst soul baring isn't much help in establishing your tech credentials) you haven't told us what you are studying at school...

Whilst I'm sure the skills you have obtained through social interaction, baseball, football, track and drama will be invaluable in cracking the 2.0 firmware I (and forgive my lack of insight or vision) cannot see how you intend to apply them to the problem in hand.

Cracked any other system in the past?

Cap'n 1time
September 18th, 2005, 02:15
Seriously, this is software thats been locked by a Billion dollar international company. Its been looked at by some of the scenes finest and is still... so the real question is... who are you and why should we care? - no offence meant by that statment.

YourStillWithMe
September 18th, 2005, 02:37
I'm an English major and I plan on becoming a teacher. Yes I understand that those do not tell much abut my computer and system cracking capabilities. . I am a rookie in the field but I do not plan on being impulsive in terms of my actions such as a lot of people would be. "ooo this looks good let me try this!!!" I plan on not thinking too quickly, becoming excited, or distracted easily. This work is serious. Regardless of whether you all believe I am capable, I want to contribute. I plan on researching the eboot.pbp (boot.bin) file, how it is read, how it is created, what systems and programs recognize it aside from the psp, and if the file can be split up further as opposed to the 1.5 ver firmwares files. I just stated my activities to let you know that I have intelligence.

once again im looking for things that you know HAVE FAILED so i don't waste my time and hopefully the time for me (hopefully. . .) cracking this sytem will be shorter. Even if I cannot do this I would be more than happy to let others know of what I made progress with, and what I did not. I really want to contribute to the PSP scene. I am sick of waiting around! If you want something done sometimes the only way to do it is by means of Yourself.

Also please do not PM me and ask me about my progress because im sure I will get a lot and its not too polite.

Thanks again!

nonzero
September 18th, 2005, 02:43
Kudos - Go for it.

You might want to check out the ps2dev.org forums for some methods that have already been attempted and general tech info.

I do agree with the other poster who stated that if you are serious about this you should be looking at an exploit for 2.0 rather than searching for the "holy grail" ;)

OmegaNine
September 18th, 2005, 03:13
I agree that the best way to "crack" the system has nothing to do with cracking the system at all. But the best way to do it would be to learn how to spoof the "authentication" that Sony uses to sign all its code. Once you have that the PSP will think its official software long in to 2.xx.

robotdevil
September 18th, 2005, 06:10
I think your idea of looking into the eboot.pbp file is a good start. I cannot offer you a 1.51 file either, but I can offer a mountain of ideas. First being, look into cracking an emulator, I know there are emulators out with v1.51 and v1.52 firmware, if nothing else it's safer than trying your own PSP. 2nd cross reference the eboot.pbp files from different liscenced games (as games made for v1.50 still work on v2.00). If nothing can be found in the eboot.pbp file, see what other files they may have in common. Anyway, that's about all for now, post a reply on how that works out. I don't have the time to try this stuff myself, but I'm more than happy to lend my ideas to anyone who will listen. Good luck.

nonzero
September 18th, 2005, 08:56
Oh yes - one more quick pointer.

Screw looking at firmware all together - check out some of the first gen games for an exploit that will allow you to boot unsigned code ala Mechassault on the Xbox.

This method circumvents all firmwares and will work on all machines too - plus I think it will be easier to find a flaw in a game (esp. gen 1 titles) that it will be in 2.0

Combine this exploit with the new firmware launcher thats currently in devlopment and you may be onto something...

l_drum
September 18th, 2005, 21:15
I wish you the best of luck in your project/mission.

If I was using 1.51, I'd send it to you, but I'm a 2.00-head.

I'm NOT going to whinge about how others have tried and failed, which apparently means that you definitely won't succeed - because you just might do it. Just gotta have faith.

One thing I will say, lots of people will LOVE you if you can find an exploit or a way of executing unsigned/uncertified script within 2.00, rather than trying to compile a downgrader for 2.00.

Just my two cents. Good luck dude.

YourStillWithMe
September 18th, 2005, 23:39
Thank you I drum and your willingness to assist me im still trying to learn more about the eboots and im going to visit ps2dev.org and learn up on some stuff there. I'm a rookie at this for the most part but I believe that i am capable to do SOMETHING.

once again people I am looking for suggestions or things that have NOT WORKED. Also a 1.50 ( i would feel bad if you sent me this. . . ) or a 1.51 firmware would be golden. NOTE-If I BRICK your psp i will not give you a whopping 250 but i will make it up to you to some extent. But I will try most of my attempts on my 2.0 because its mine and i wouldnt feel bad for ****ing it up because i have 1 .5 too I just want to do this to benefit the community

comments are appreciated here! no flaming other users ideas please! that just takes up worthless space. Some stupid ideas are even good because i can breech off of them and possibly dig deeper into them.

FF10Freak
September 19th, 2005, 00:00
stupid ideas? You read my topic? XD if yes ... what do you think about that? You know more than me ... im working together with a friend on that ... well now. We think to know that those "data.psp" and "data.psar" are written in C++ are we right? dont know exactly. If you know sumthing tell us ... its for the community XD XD. k ... thats all to me. >_>

alexh
September 19th, 2005, 11:14
the answer is not to downgrade 2.00 but merly crack it to run homebrew you are not gonna downgrade a psp this century
Erm if you can run anything I suspect you can downgrade ;)

I think the front line attack (i.e. a modified firmware file) isnt the right way to go... the use of modified saves for original UMD games which exploit overflows etc. may be the way in as with the X-box soft-mods, plus the added bonus of not bricking your PSP during development ;)

Edit: NoNZero has already suggested this :)

YourStillWithMe
September 20th, 2005, 03:13
I have downloaded the program pbp unpacker and am in the process of learning more about the eboot files. I have learned what is in this little file though (all the parts that are in it that make the games people create. . . )
I just dont exactly know yet about ho to make a game. . . once i learn how to ddo that i just need to make adjustments to how to create it and try the files out on the 2.0, 1.51, or 1.52 i think i can whip up some form of progress.

Cap'n 1time
September 20th, 2005, 04:20
just an idea (which is weird because i hate hearing ideas on this subject). Would sony begin to try to load extracted data from a UMD on a MS? Its already signed, so it might do... well.. somthing. Play with that idea for a while eh?

Dj SaTuRn
September 20th, 2005, 06:36
Seriously, this is software thats been locked by a Billion dollar international company. Its been looked at by some of the scenes finest and is still... so the real question is... who are you and why should we care? - no offence meant by that statment.

hell, Bliazzard is probably a billion dollar company by now, you know, warcraft series. Well im just saying that they tend to leave flaws in their programming that allow us hackers to take advantage.

So you could be right most likely, but i think that they must have left something out.

nonzero
September 20th, 2005, 11:08
but i think that they must have left something out.

A lot of devs have alluded to the fact that there is a glaring security hole in 2.0

Wishful thinking or the truth?

AJB2K3
September 20th, 2005, 20:15
Pbpunpacker isn't showing all fields, look in advanced mod.
ive hadd little to no luck but ive documented my resaults on my forums @ www.ajb2k3.co.uk join the forums and enjoy a private chat.

Cap'n 1time
September 20th, 2005, 22:16
hell, Bliazzard is probably a billion dollar company by now, you know, warcraft series. Well im just saying that they tend to leave flaws in their programming that allow us hackers to take advantage.

So you could be right most likely, but i think that they must have left something out.

excellent point, the same is true for many. And I doubt that the people who are hacking Starcraft and Diablo II are the brightest in the world. ;)

King Llama
September 20th, 2005, 22:28
Nice one YourStillWithMe you have the right attitude.

Can't see that someone with no experience in coding will have much luck with this but I if we all thought like that nothing would ever get done. Thinking about it if we all got off our arses and at the least tried instead of whinging on at others we might stand a better chance!? (not having a go as I know many of you on this forum have 1.5)

Might have a go at it myself actually. Not bothered if I brick my PSP as it's a little scratched and I can get sony to send me a nice new one.

But where to start....

robotdevil
September 22nd, 2005, 04:45
This may sound long and tedious, but I still say the key will be in looking into the similarities of the games that do run. I meaź the full licenced games. Even a random code generator will have a pattern, randomness (at least true randomness) is not something a computer can handle. It goes against all logic and therefore against the very foundation of computing (all processors/controllers have logic circuits). Therefore there has to be some similarity between the code in every game made for the PSP. Like I said, it's a long process of reverse engineering, but it could be worth it to someone who has the time.

On a different note, It's nice to see that no ones really flamed here yet, and that a bunch of ideas have come forward. I agree that someone with little to no programming experience has little chance of finding the secret, however their efforts, however futile, may shine a light for someone who does have programming experience but not the time required to get this job done. I myself am going to start looking into the files, but as I stated in an earlier post, I have VERY little free time right now (in fact, writing this post took all my time tonight :rolleyes: ), but whatever I find will be posted here.

Good luck to everyone working on this hefty project. :)

OmegaNine
September 22nd, 2005, 15:18
I notice there is a Free game making took for 2.00, maybe the key in there. I will download it and see if I can find anything. Dose anyone know what language the system is compiled in?

Stew2000
September 22nd, 2005, 15:26
I notice there is a Free game making took for 2.00, maybe the key in there. I will download it and see if I can find anything. Dose anyone know what language the system is compiled in?

That works through the Web Browser.

porjay
September 23rd, 2005, 00:24
I think the web browser may be another good place to look at I've seen a gameboy emulator that runs in java

http://www.davidwinchurch.com/applets/GameBoyEmu/GameBoyEmu.html

Heres a good example. The guys even left the source code!!

I'm unsure the true compatablities of the browser on what it can/can't run as i've left my PSP on 1.52 (damn euro) hope this helps. :)

Sollen
September 23rd, 2005, 08:33
It's written in Java,not javascript.

AJB2K3
September 23rd, 2005, 18:43
Im only interested because i have an idea for a wipeout pure mod.

YourStillWithMe
September 24th, 2005, 02:51
Another step----I now know how to create my own game from an FAQ on pspupdates.com i just want to (for now) edit that game file to see if it will run on 2.0 I'm sure 9483050 other people are thinking the extreme and adjustin like 4583043932 things sometimes the simplest change is key. . .probably not but i think its a good start. . . I have not realy FULLY DEDICATED my time to this people its not like i sit here all 24 hours in the day and stare at my psp just to let you know this probably wont be cracked by me but i def try a good hour a day at least

Thank You All

ps-an idea i had but im not good at creating would be a website that allows the playing of eboots directly from them. Or a site that hosts an emulator possibly so you could run it straight fromt he browser? Stupid idea? I think so but the browser def helps our thinking a bit . . .

im spent. . .

RedKing14CA
September 24th, 2005, 03:48
ummm, isn't the update in the Flash? i mean, if you can delete the gameboot.pmf and such, why can't you delete all 2.0, or 1.51 etc. files? i mean..... hmm.... i guess it would be because of not being able to boot pbp's on psp.... hmmm

AciD2025
September 30th, 2005, 09:29
Ok I'm not a rocket scientist so I can't program the bloody toaster to dance! So bear with me on what I have to say!!

Ok I was reading somewhere that a homebrew developer has 64kb to play with! (Dont shoot me if i'm wrong!). Now I dont know how this homebrew stuff works, but what if you created a homebrewed flaw or a little tweeny program that is able to load emulators (just an idea!) or if not why dont you do what that other guy said and get someone with abit of web page knowledge and boot an emulator up through a webpage! :D

Ok I may be an idiot but still an idea is an idea!!

VI VA LA ENGLAND!!

ForteGSX
September 30th, 2005, 15:16
Has anybody just tried to put a different eboot in the update folder? Maybe it'll run it? Who knows emu's on V 2.0.

Cap'n 1time
September 30th, 2005, 15:36
Has anybody just tried to put a different eboot in the update folder? Maybe it'll run it? Who knows emu's on V 2.0.

I dont think its quite that simple... but perhapes some loader will come from the update eboot somehow.

ForteGSX
September 30th, 2005, 15:41
Well that would be a great thing... Hope someone can do that soon...

AciD2025
October 2nd, 2005, 10:24
Not sure how much credit this story has, but it says someone has "managed to figure out a buffer overflow condition" for the 2.0 firmware!

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/psp/psp-20-software-cracked-001604.php

candrews
October 3rd, 2005, 07:54
That looks like the tiff buffer over flow which is old news

bundi
October 3rd, 2005, 21:07
Check the XBOX scene. How did they crack Microsofts baby with software and no Mod chip to allow non MS progs to load.

Maybe the PSP needs to be done in a similar way. But I think it would screw up the DNSA of Sonys for future online play if there is a hardware hack. So it has to be software.

Best of all why not Update the Wab version changer. And try to unpack decompile and repack the 1.5 EBOOT with the browser in it. Check out your PSP folders on its memory after doing a downgrade.

The Brwser cache and history are still in the PSP`s memory after a downgrade. So the update seems to be software too. in the user flash area. And there is a regitstry like windows on there. Maybe it is close to ms or something. Or am I being thick???

Fanjita
October 10th, 2005, 18:06
Check here (http://www.fanjita.org/psp.html) for an EBOOT loader for the v2.0 firmware.

So long as your EBOOT doesn't do kernel-mode stuff, there's a good chance it will work. I haven't tested any emulators with it yet, but if you have the 2.0 firmware it's worth a try - and I'd appreciate hearing the results. It's still work-in-progress, but the results have been promising so far.

scx0r
October 13th, 2005, 10:54
my thoughts are , we're all able to set our 2.0 to 1.0 to trick the system and then upgrade our firmware to 1.5 flashing and loosing our webbrowser etc. and that people have come up with ways to play the eboots in user-mode... but surely the fact that we're able to do anything in 2.0 is such a success that ppl need to start lookin into a way of getting a pc to do all the hard work, via wireless :D fs mount a hard disk etc...

would be awesome! wi-fi to pc and hack up!

DevX
October 13th, 2005, 17:52
Hehehe, jump thru all authentication routine!!!??? not easy. good work