PDA

View Full Version : ScummVM Wii - Wiimote Edition

wraggster
April 28th, 2008, 21:33
The port of ScummVM for the Nintendo Wii has been updated with support for the Nintendo Wiimote.

For those of you who dont know what ScummVM is heres a description

ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!

Some of the adventures ScummVM supports include Adventure Soft's Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2; Revolution's Beneath A Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1 and Broken Sword 2; Flight of the Amazon Queen; Wyrmkeep's Inherit the Earth; Coktel Vision's Gobliiins; Westwood Studios' The Legend of Kyrandia and games based on LucasArts' SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) system such as Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and more.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DimensionT
April 28th, 2008, 22:39
I can't get it to work at all... The archive only contains a .DOL file. Loaded it up, and I get the SCUMM menu... But I can't select anything with the Wiimote or the GC controller.

icecoolwas
April 28th, 2008, 23:04
I can't get it to work at all... The archive only contains a .DOL file. Loaded it up, and I get the SCUMM menu... But I can't select anything with the Wiimote or the GC controller.

i guess when u load a dol it goes into gamecube mode and u cant use the wii mote.. idk

DimensionT
April 28th, 2008, 23:07
Well, it does something... The buttons work on the Wiimote, but I didn't have any game in the menu so I couldn't play (can't browse without the pointer).

I added Day Of The Tentacle to the menu using an earlier version, then tried this one again. Loaded the game up with the Wiimote. Everything works but the pointer. It's just stuck there.

Sir_Voe
April 28th, 2008, 23:08
The .dol file works fine for me using the Twilight Hack and SDelfload 0.4. Then when you get to the emu menu, push 1+2 to synch your Wiimote.

DimensionT
April 28th, 2008, 23:22
That's what I've been doing. When it syncs up, the pointer switches spots... But after that it's stuck.

quadomatic
April 29th, 2008, 00:20
Rename the .dol file to .elf and just load it up how ever you would normally. I didn't have to press buttons 1+2 to sync either. I just pressed A. It worked great.

Using Twilight Hack alpha 3a and Wii Homebrew Launcher

dahun
April 29th, 2008, 00:24
its random if the pointer works or not...well at least with wii paint it does...

bobnova
April 29th, 2008, 01:23
I can get ScummVM to run but can't add a game to it since I don't know how to press the 'add game' button. Tried gamecube controller and wiimote (after pressing 1+2) and getting no where.

Anyone got any ideas?

middle man
April 29th, 2008, 01:56
it seems to me like it only works with the nunchuck unplugged.
i renamed it boot.elf and loaded as normal.
monkey island1 loaded but the whole bottom menu is missing, making it unplayable.

bobnova
April 29th, 2008, 02:47
Thats it!! Without the nunchuck attached it plays sam n max perfectly.

Thanks middle_man!

middle man
April 29th, 2008, 03:12
i take that back the menu works fine in monkey island 1, don't know what happened the first time. it seems a bit slower than the DS version or even the symbian version i have on my phone. is this an optical illusion because its bigger? if not is this something that may be improved?

bobnova
April 29th, 2008, 03:26
I usually use my wii in hdtv mode using a vga adaptor so I can connect it to my pc's lcd screen. is it possible to use any homebrew in this setup or do I have to use the standard wii video lead and pal50 only?

DimensionT
April 29th, 2008, 03:42
If you're using your computer's monitor, why not just use the PC version?

NegFactor
April 29th, 2008, 07:01
I actually can't get this version to load at all. If I use DolTool and convert it, it recognizes it as a valid .elf file, but then halts shortly after that. If I don't convert it, it gives a "dol image detected?" line and then halts again at the same spot shortly thereafter.

I guess I should ask, is it an instantaneous load or does it take a couple minutes? I waited a minute in case there was some particular reason (it is a large file in comparison to other .elf files), but I figured it was just halted.

DimensionT
April 29th, 2008, 07:32
Are you using the Homebrew Loader that looks like the Wii menu? If you are, you can't really tell that it's loading. Just leave it there for a while and it'll work.

mr_nick666
April 29th, 2008, 19:56
Preliminary tests...

1. Use this file (http://pspplayground.condor.serverpro3.com/index.php?topic=7621.msg41625#msg41625) on the Wii (the official download has a .dol which I had to convert) :rolleyes:

2. Seems to work superbly :D Pointing is nice and controlled (if you can use your pointer just power off your Wiimote then restart it and you are off) ;)

3. Tested Broken Sword 2, Beneath a Steel Sky, and Simon the Sorcerer.

BS2 - Works fine as far as I saw - Even loaded an old gamesave

BASS - Worked fine as far as I saw

STS - Ran ok but died on saving (need an enter key!)

All in all bloody good with the need for a few minor tweaks :thumbup:

hypochondriac
April 29th, 2008, 21:52
I triedyour file but it just ges to a black screen.

NegFactor
April 30th, 2008, 03:20
Okay...messing around, I figured out a few things.

1) The reason I couldn't get it to load before was because I didn't have the original ScummVM program, just the Wiimote edition file. :P

2) Lure Of The Temptress had some major issues with the Wiimote. If you selected an action, the Wiimote would force you to change quickly to either the first or last action in a series. Read as: You can't exit the first room of the game because once you set fire to the straw bed, when the ogre/whatever comes into the room, you have to choose "open" on the door in order to leave and "open" is a command in between "unlock" and "close"...so you can't pick it by any means. The game also crashed shortly thereafter. :(

3) Sam And Max plays FLAWLESSLY. I heart you, ScummVM.

skedone
April 30th, 2008, 08:20
what version are you using for ORIG files mate because i have tried the wii version that is on wiibrew with this and it dont load

mr_nick666
April 30th, 2008, 09:02
I converted the .dol to an .elf and it works fine on my PAL Wii using the Wii Homebrew Launcher ;) If you check my post on the page before this there is a link to my converted file :D

Edit: Just to remind you you have to rename the file to "boot.elf"!!

NegFactor
April 30th, 2008, 16:04
@skedone -- What I actually did was search the forums for the original ScummVM, then converted the .dol file in this thread to .elf and replaced the old release version. From what I can tell, the old release had several more files that might matter (or not), including:

General files: Author, Copyright, Copying, News, Readme, ReadmeII

VM Data files: igor.tbl, kyra.dat, lure.dat, queen.tbl, sky.cpt (all required for specific games and can be found on the official ScummVM website)

The probably important files: modern.ini and modern.zip (which contains bmp files for buttons, logos, widgets, and other things that more than likely make up the GUI)

mr_nick666
April 30th, 2008, 16:49
You only require the single .elf file for this to work ;) It creates its own "scummvm" folder for configs, etc. :)

NegFactor
April 30th, 2008, 17:11
Yeah, I kinda just came to the same conclusion. What was actually causing my run of it to hang was the fact that I had memory cards in the GC slots. Strange, but after removing them, it runs fine.

rokumanxes
May 3rd, 2008, 21:44
Um, it all worked fine for me, but...

Any chance of the Maniac Mansion for NES getting supported?
I liked that one so much better.

It had cooler graphics and music...

8-bit ftw~!

iSynic
May 4th, 2008, 04:17
Um, it all worked fine for me, but...

Any chance of the Maniac Mansion for NES getting supported?
I liked that one so much better.

It had cooler graphics and music...

8-bit ftw~!

ScummVM does support the nes version. Props to Teknojuce on the ScummVM forums for this:

This is how you prepare your nes rom for ScummVM usage there is NO hex editing required.

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=ucon64&filename=ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin.zip

Extract that any place, for example we will use C:\

So now we have:

C:\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin\ucon64.exe

Next grab this file from the download tools section of the scummvm.org page...

http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=scummvm&filename=scummvm-tools-0.11.0-win32.zip

Extract the file extract_mm_nes.exe to our other folder we made before on the C:\ drive...

C:\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin\extract_mm_nes.exe

Find your rom and toss it or extract it to the same folder that we just extracted the last file to...

C:\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin\Maniac Mansion.nes

so go to Start -> Run type: CMD Then press <enter>

Type in the Command Prompt window:

CD C:\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin\

(or what ever place you put the extracted files.)

now type:

ucon64 -s "Maniac Mansion.nes"

^--(or what ever the roms name is type m and hit the Tab key a bunch of times if you don't want to type the full title)

You should see this if done properly:

C:\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin>ucon64.exe -s "Maniac Mansion.nes"
uCON64 2.0.0 Win32 (Visual C++) 1999-2005
Uses code from various people. See 'developers.html' for more!
This may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU Public License

Create: NTUSER.idx
ERROR: Can't open "C:\Users\TeknoJuce\NTUSER.DAT" for reading
Please see the FAQ, question 47 & 36

WARNING: "NTUSER.DAT" is meant for a console unknown to uCON64

C:\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin\Maniac Mansion.nes

00000000 4e 45 53 1a 10 00 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 NES.............

iNES header

Nintendo Entertainment System/NES/Famicom/Game Axe (Redant)

Jaleco
U.S.A.
262144 Bytes (2.0000 Mb)

Padded: Maybe, 2 Bytes (0.0000 Mb)
Interleaved/Swapped: No
Backup unit/emulator header: Yes, 16 Bytes
Internal size: 2.0000 Mb
Internal PRG size: 2.0000 Mb
Internal CHR size: 0.0000 Mb
Memory mapper (iNES): 1
Mirroring: Horizontal
Save RAM: Yes
512-byte trainer: No
VS-System: No
Date: 9/1990
Checksum (CRC32): 0x0d9f5bd1

Wrote output to: Maniac Mansion.prm
Wrote output to: Maniac Mansion.prg

So basically you are left with the file you need to run in ScummVM

Maniac Mansion.prg is all you need you can toss that in your ScummVM games folder and play away after you add it to your ScummVM gamelist, now if you want to go a bit further you can extract that file also but YOU DO NOT NEED TO!

so we are still in Command Prompt under the directory:

C:\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin\

so to continue now type:

extract_mm_nes.exe "Maniac Mansion.nes"

C:\ucon64-2.0.0-win32-vc-bin>extract_mm_nes.exe
"Maniac Mansion.prg"
ROM contents verified as Maniac Mansion (USA)
Creating 01.LFL...
Creating 02.LFL...
Creating 03.LFL...
Creating 04.LFL...
Creating 05.LFL...
Creating 06.LFL...
Creating 07.LFL...
Creating 08.LFL...
Creating 09.LFL...
Creating 10.LFL...
Creating 11.LFL...
Creating 12.LFL...
Creating 13.LFL...
Creating 14.LFL...
Creating 15.LFL...
Creating 16.LFL...
Creating 17.LFL...
Creating 18.LFL...
Creating 19.LFL...
Creating 20.LFL...
Creating 21.LFL...
Creating 22.LFL...
Creating 23.LFL...
Creating 24.LFL...
Creating 25.LFL...
Creating 26.LFL...
Creating 27.LFL...
Creating 28.LFL...
Creating 29.LFL...
Creating 30.LFL...
Creating 31.LFL...
Creating 32.LFL...
Creating 33.LFL...
Creating 34.LFL...
Creating 35.LFL...
Creating 36.LFL...
Creating 37.LFL...
Creating 38.LFL...
Creating 39.LFL...
Creating 40.LFL...
Creating 41.LFL...
Creating 42.LFL...
Creating 43.LFL...
Creating 44.LFL...
Creating 45.LFL...
Creating 46.LFL...
Creating 47.LFL...
Creating 48.LFL...
Creating 49.LFL...
Creating 50.LFL...
Creating 51.LFL...
Creating 52.LFL...
Creating 53.LFL...
Creating 54.LFL...
Creating 00.LFL...
All done!

Toss all those files that just got extracted into a Folder Called something like "Maniac Mansion NES" WITH OUT that .prg file and then toss this new Maniac Mansion NES folder we made with all the LFL files in it, into our ScummVM games folder then add the game in ScummVM and it will detect this one as:

Maniac Mansion (extracted/NES/English (US))

where as the .PRG file would get detected in the game list as:

Maniac Mansion (NES/English (US))

So its up to you, both run the same, so it does not matter either way.

Enjoy! Happy Scumming! :D

P.S. Vista hates when you try to play around on the root of the C:\ drive partition so you may have to use another folder like your desktop or right click run as Administrator Command Prompt.

rokumanxes
May 4th, 2008, 09:35
ScummVM does support the nes version. Props to Teknojuce on the ScummVM forums for this:

You, my good sir, deserve a hug.

You're not getting one though.

Thanks.

+1 internets

christian.remboldt
May 25th, 2008, 04:34
Ive loaded this version and the gamecube controller version and they both seem to work well. My problem is that the outside edge of the screen is unreadable. It seem to be a frame buffering issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

christian.remboldt
May 26th, 2008, 02:46
The scummvm version that comes with the new full version of the homebrew channel, has a smaller screen so it solved my problem. I just thought id post in case anyone else had this problem

Baboon
May 26th, 2008, 17:26
Using the latest scummvm on the new homebrew channel I don't seem to be able to save my games? I've added mokey island 1&2 and Sam and Max but whenever I got to save a game and select a slot to save to it comes up with an error and does not save?

Any ideas people what I'm doing wrong? ...wheres the correct place to save my files? .. folder name? etc

christian.remboldt
May 27th, 2008, 01:03
The homebrew channel version automatically tries to save to a folder labeled scummvm/SAVES/. you can add the saves folder to scummvm or just change the folder in the options menu. That is what i did. It is under the paths tab and labeled saves path. I hope youll be able to get it working. Im very pleased with the newest release and have just finished indy3fmtowns with out any problems

Baboon
May 27th, 2008, 08:12
The homebrew channel version automatically tries to save to a folder labeled scummvm/SAVES/. you can add the saves folder to scummvm or just change the folder in the options menu. That is what i did. It is under the paths tab and labeled saves path. I hope youll be able to get it working. Im very pleased with the newest release and have just finished indy3fmtowns with out any problems

Thanks for the info... I'll give it a whirl later tonight. :thumbup:

edit: I poppped home at lunch and tried it and it works... cheers. :)

AkumuHau
May 28th, 2008, 00:01
The latest version (the one that was released with HBC) doesn't seem to load the Maniac Mansion games. I tried both V1 and V2 but they both return to the HBC. Every other game works flawlessly

Anyone else experienced this?