PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar Support: No GTA Freeze Fix in Sight

Shrygue
April 29th, 2008, 18:29
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/385183/rockstar-support-no-gta-freeze-fix-in-sight)

Earlier today we broke the news that some Grand Theft Auto IV gamers were having problems with the game on both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

For them, the game was freezing up during the introductory cut-scene, something that neither I nor Mike experienced during our time with the game on both systems. To be clear, we have no idea how widespread the problem is, but it's certainly on Rockstar's radar and making the rounds both in our tips line and on forums.

Rockstar declined to comment on the issue officially, so I went to the phone and called up Rockstar Support to see what they had to say about the problem.

A very friendly, and obviously unhappy, fellow answered the phone who, after thanking me for not yelling at him and apologizing profusely for the problem, spilled quite a bit of beans on the issue:

The man told me that the problem is apparently only effecting the 60 GB version of the Playstation 3, but that it didn't matter than my particular console was a launch console (Yes, I told a little white lie and said my copy was locking up.) He said the problem is not across the board for the 60GB PS3s but rather only impacts some, so their tech folks are working around the clock to try and figure out what is causing the issue.

He did ask me to make sure that my harddrive wasn't full and that I had the latest firmware update, but confessed that that really isn't what's causing most of the problem. He also said that the Xbox 360 is having the "exact same problem," which has further stumped their tech folks.

I asked him if wiping the harddrive and reinstalling the PS3 version would help, as seen on the PS forums, he said I could try but that he hadn't heard of it helping a single person.

He ended the call by saying that they really have no idea when a fix will be coming because they can't figure out what is exactly causing the problem and then once more apologized.

"I feel terrible about this."

If only more support folks were as empathetic and genuinely concerned about the problems their customers are going through.

**1_Man_Matrix**
April 29th, 2008, 23:12
Hmmm... I have a 60GB, pretty full hard-drive and played for 8 hours straight yesterday and didn't have a single problem, or even skip a single frame.

Don't fret, Rockstar will make it a primary objective to get this fixed up ASAP.

By far the best game I have EVER played :cool:

Accordion
April 30th, 2008, 00:24
Sure, freezes during the opening movie are bad, but i have had three severe freezes during gameplay within two hours. The first only lasted a few minutes, but the last two required a forced [triple beep] shutdown. Music continues to play and sound effects become stuck. Not fun.

Completing MGS2 again was however. Very spooky that i played the game over a weekend ending on April 29th.

Ultima Chocochu
April 30th, 2008, 03:30
That sucks for the few that have it
I've not experienced it, but I have an for 80GB so, yeah lol.

Amazing game though.

urherenow
April 30th, 2008, 06:13
I noticed a couple of hickups but only 2~3 times (in the 45 minutes or so I've played around with it) and they were all like 1 or 2 seconds so not that bad for me. I certainly haven't had a complete freeze yet.

I have a fairly new 40GB (Spiderman3 movie bundle) with a 250GB HDD installed

Triv1um
April 30th, 2008, 20:38
Ive got the original UK release day 60gb.

I havent experienced a freeze yet.

Accordion
April 30th, 2008, 21:12
I can only play with my internet connection turned off.