PDA

View Full Version : Working Doom wads and how to merge wad files for Doom-Psp Tutorial

wraggster
September 19th, 2005, 01:49
Ap0calypse in our Doom, Quake and Game Modding Forum has posted a great tutorial on how to merge wad files for Doom-PSP, heres part of what he posted:

I have put together a tutorial on using WinTex for anyone who wants to learn how to merge wad files and use the modded Doom wad file on their PSP. See the attached file...

Download WinTex 5.0: http://zephyr.doomrepublic.com/files/wintex50.zip

Also I have compiled a list of wads that I have tested and work on my PSP

My PSP Specs
-firmware version 1.5
-32Mb pro duo memory stick (the one you get with the value pack)
-PSPDOOM version 0.04u1

These wads I have tested don't need to be merged with the doom2.wad but need to be named doom2.wad and put in your \PSP\GAME\DOOM-PSP\WADS directory.

Working Wads without merging:
-Duke3d, only one level of duke madness 8/10
-Half Life, looks nice but doesn't truly represent half life's greatness 8/10
-Quake2, good wad with sound but the PSP-QUAKE port is better 7/10
-Heretic, excellent quality wad this one really suprised me 8/10

These next wads I have merged with doom2.wad. If your not sure on how this is done read my tutorial I have attached to this post.

Working merged wads:
-Doom64, Classic Doom style WOW! 10/10
-Fistfull of Doom, western mod absolutly brilliant, Download it Now! 10/10
-Simpsons, another excelent mod if your a fan get it now! 10/10
-Pinochestien, mix of wolfenstien and doom (In Spanish!) suprizingly good 10/10 (download came with Legacy port so you can play on your PC too)
-Fallout, updates the graphics of Doom2, excellent wad 9/10
-Otakon, crazy anime madness plays OK 8/10
-DragonBallZ, strange mod this one but if your a fan its not bad 7/10
-Sub Zero, another weird mod but it plays OK 7/10
-Star Wars, this was OK no new levels though 7/10
-Zombie, have you seen Dawn of the Dead? well this is sort of like it! dodgy graphics though 7/10
-Aliens, dodgy graphics and hard (even on easy) maps are complicated 7/10

To read more and find the awesome tutorial check out our Doom, Quake and Game Modding Forum Here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7864&page=7&pp=10

Thanks to Ap0calypse for the great Tutorial that will help all Doom Noobs like me :)

aruka57
September 19th, 2005, 06:07
very nice bit of news, this.. now PSP can play over a decade of mods ^^

Doom PSP definitely rules, and this makes it moreso.. now we just need a wad selector :P

urherenow
September 19th, 2005, 09:12
moreso.. now we just need a wad selector :P

I agree 150%. I was dissapointed to put doom doom2 and hexen on there just to find out it would only load doom2. Call this my second emulation request EVER (first one was to add Battle Toads into MAME :p )

*o*
September 19th, 2005, 11:03
I Want Homebrew Ssooooo Bad!!!

urherenow
September 19th, 2005, 15:35
I Want Homebrew Ssooooo Bad!!!

ssooooo bad?
If that were really true you'd just click on the <a href="http://www.success-hk.com/affiliatewiz/aw.asp?B=131&A=50&Task=Click"> Success HK </a> link on the front page and order a 1.5 PSP :P

ap0calypse
September 19th, 2005, 15:48
I just want to say I was blown away by DCEmu displaying my forum post on the main news page...

When I wrote the tutorial and forum post I never expected to get this much feedback!

Thanks wraggster

*o*
September 19th, 2005, 22:44
i cant afford to buy another one

Mourningstar
August 18th, 2006, 22:16
Did ap0calypse die or something?

Silkdeath
April 21st, 2007, 01:09
Where do you get the Wads??????????????????????????????????????

Buddy4point0
April 21st, 2007, 02:23
you can get free wads from google, but the original doom and stuff (the big full game ones) you "suppoesed" to buy

MrPeanut
April 21st, 2007, 03:32
For the doom wad selector... Can't you just write a *very* small app to rename one of the wads you have in your directory to the one the engine loads by default before you run doom? Or you can always add it to the engine itself, which would look a lot nicer. I forgot what it was like to play doom, my fps of choice was quake, where you could just load the mods by going:

"glqwcl.exe -game fortress" (loads the paks (equiv of wads)) from the fortress subdirectory of quake.

Shadowblind
April 21st, 2007, 04:18
There already is a doom-PSP version with a WAD selector.

Colek
September 25th, 2007, 12:19
WinTex download is down :/

michalt441
January 4th, 2008, 20:10
I use Patcher to merge wad files with my DOOM2.WAD.

Worked on me:
These wads worked on my PSP.

- Star Trek, works perfectly well but I can't find the blue key... Maybe I can't see it because PSP-Doom can't display this texture. 8/10

- Half-Life Doom2, excellent wad that really suprised me, no new levels though. PSP-Doom shows explosion texture instead of Soda Can but still kicks ass. 10/10

- Batman Doom2, I like this wad very much and I play it only second time! Some textures like Armor Bonus are changing to other texture every milisecond... Same as some of enemies that are down. Good WAD though 10/10

- Duke Nukem 3D, cool WAD. Works but in MAIN MENU when you move nuke icon, it leaves a trace... Only one level: Hollywood Holocaust, also some textures get crazy. This is Doom of course so I can't jump on the box so I couldn't get RPG and then go through the window. I played and completed the level, is good. And next levels are Doom 2 levels but with Duke Nukem 3D enemies weapons etc. Author worked very well. Come Get Some! 7/10

- Quake 2. That wad so kicks ass that I can't even tell you how. All weapons are replaced with Quake 2 weapons, 10 new levels, enemies and lots of extra textures. Also HUD is well, sound and music. Author worked very hard. If you ever played Quake 1 and 2, you'll love it! 10/10

Doesn't work on me:
These wads worked on my PC, but failed to play on my PSP. If you know how to solve the problem please tell me.

- Zombies. Is merged and I'm sure files isn't corrupted but I started the game and it says something about two textures linked or something. If somebody knows how to run this it would be great. Game is excellent and not so hard like other people say. You just need to get some practise. 10/10

- Alien vs Predator vs Terminator. I seen this WAD first time. Loaded OK. But when I pressed New Game -> Hurt Me Plenty or any other skill level, PSP freezes and turns off after 20 seconds. 5/10

- Blood, by JS Graham. I love Blood. Unfortunately I found out Blood on PSP port will never ever happen. But we can use Blood mods on some other games that has been already ported to PSP. I wanna play this WAD on my PSP but it says something about textures and same as Zombies, turns off. EDIT: Now I know, I need to click X on doom2.wad and Triangle on bludv2.wad. Problem solved but no new weapons or enemies, but they exist when playing this in Zdoom, which is weird. 5/10

CaptainMorgan4
January 5th, 2008, 19:55
Cool maybe I can play my Doom wads made by Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold on my psp.

ps. If you don't know who they "were" then maybe you should look em up.

Rbman
January 5th, 2008, 22:25
Cool maybe I can play my Doom wads made by Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold on my psp.

ps. If you don't know who they "were" then maybe you should look em up.

wow aren't you cool

CaptainMorgan4
January 6th, 2008, 03:18
No but I do find it interesting to play a level of Doom designed and created by a psychopath, it's fun being able to look inside they're head. If you haven't gotten it by my avatar you can tell I'm a little off, I don't know I'm sort of fascinated by psychos.

Tithe AD
January 6th, 2008, 16:54
Wintex50 does not work for me i have tried but wether i want to join wads or merge wads i get deuSF errors,ive made sure the path to the folders c/wintex/doom2.wad/Fistful.wad are short and sweet,but i heard that this is a dos program and does not work on xp.
I would really appreciate some help/advice.

THX.