PDA

View Full Version : hope : Shenmue for psp

khalid-neo
May 2nd, 2008, 00:42
hey everybody

intro:
i am a BIG DC FANS and as much of fans i liked Shenmue & all DC games so wouldn't be great if we could in some how make them playable on psp

subject:
only for information only three games in the history of games that costs Their companies about 100 milions to make them:
1-Shenmue (DC : December 1, 2000)
2-GTA IV (XBOX 360 & PS3 : April 29, 2008)
3-TOO HUMAN (XBOX 360 : not yet)
so ppl you figure it out the Difference between the three games in time and Platform(s) and how Shenmue was a great game so it will be a big lost to the gaming world to lose a game like Shenmue.

MY Hope:
if we could find any way to play it on any other Platform espicially psp because i have read that the psp is nearly equal the DC in many ways & it has a popular Homebrew community, so if there is any way to play it on psp that would be perfect i don't care if it ported to the psp or make an emulater for the dreamcast in the psp or any way else i really hope to find the answare in this form so please help me and i am waiting for your commets

yaustar
May 2nd, 2008, 15:20
A DC emulator will not be possible (at the very least, not at playable rates).

Unless the original games get ported by the current IP owners, then it is not going to be seen on the PSP anytime soon.

khalid-neo
May 2nd, 2008, 21:01
ok can't we ask sega to remake it for psp or any other platoform or if they refuse then we will ask them to give us the ip and the whole codes of the game and we will make it soooooooooooooooooo who with me ???

JKKDARK
May 2nd, 2008, 21:46
Sega will never give the source code to the public.

And the Shenmue games weren't profitable for Sega, so they will not touch this serie again. Shenmue Online was going to be a spin-off for PC but it was cancelled.

khalid-neo
May 3rd, 2008, 11:31
but you know as every one here that psp play psx games smoother the psp games it self and as i know the ps1 is equal the dreamcast perfumance (sorry about the spelling im to lazy to find the right one) so why we can't do the same things that we done to ps1 and convert them to be playable on psp sorry if that is stupid question but i need to know

reizencroft
May 3rd, 2008, 13:42
but you know as every one here that psp play psx games smoother the psp games it self and as i know the ps1 is equal the dreamcast perfumance (sorry about the spelling im to lazy to find the right one) so why we can't do the same things that we done to ps1 and convert them to be playable on psp sorry if that is stupid question but i need to know

Yes, performance wise, ps1 and DC are quite similar. But DC and ps1 has very different architectures. We see many ps1 converts to psp because, in terms of architecture, they are very similar. So there is little needed to be changed to play ps1 games to psp. Im betting that DC and psp has very different architecture, hence, we need to create an emulator from scratch. I only played a few games in DC but seeing it hardware, it is a bit better than ps1, so psp will need to work extra hard to emulate DC games.

JKKDARK
May 3rd, 2008, 16:51

No. Dreamcast is similar to PlayStation 2, since they are from the same generation.

khalid-neo
May 3rd, 2008, 21:08
i got 2 Dreamcast one is made in japan and have a red color logo and the other one is made in indonesia and have a blue color logo and i also have ps2 and ps1 & psp and when i play them i can see it clear that the psp is better than ps1 and a little less than ps2 and just like DC if not better so guys i want to understand, from reizencroft words is it Possible to make a converter just like the ps1 for a DC ,and also the game could be playable (i mean in the FPS Situations) and thanx.

reizencroft
May 5th, 2008, 13:07
As i looked at the specs of PSP and DC, in the processor department, PSP has a 133MHz advantage. With the main RAM, PSP has 32/64MB and DC has 16MB. But in the VRAM, we will have a problem, DC has 8MiB@100MHz while PSP has 2MiB@166MHz. Though the psp has extra 66Mhz extra, I don't think we can offset, the missing 6MiB in VRAM. It is possible to emulate DC games since it has the computing power to boot, but it graphics rendering will not be enough. I really doubt that we can have a playable framerate in contrast to the original DC. In my opinion, it is highly improbable to port DC games to PSP without getting our hands on the actual source code because we need to adjust graphics rendering of the game to make it playable with the PSP.

dangee
May 6th, 2008, 01:10
I don't think we can offset, the missing 6MiB in VRAM.

a 0.5 resolution, single frameskip , interlaced display @15-20 fps, using main RAM as a VRAM cache may do it

bacalacadaca
May 6th, 2008, 04:26
no shenmue 3 :(

khalid-neo
May 6th, 2008, 11:24
we will have a problem, DC has 8MiB@100MHz while PSP has 2MiB@166MHz. Though the psp has extra 66Mhz extra, I don't think we can offset, the missing 6MiB in VRAM. It is possible to emulate DC games since it has the computing power to boot, but it graphics rendering will not be enough..

dude loooooooooook at what u just said, you just give us a new hope and you know what i really love you dude (don't understand me wrong :cool: ) from what i see we don't need the full FPS that the DC use and as the bro dangee have told us we can have the lost 6MiB from the main ram add to that (0.5 resolution, single frameskip , interlaced display @15-20 fps) & the small screen that the psp have which i think may use less of the VRAM and also i think that a lots of games use lower than the full Potential of the DC system (i mean the VRAM memory) so at the very bad luck we can at least port the 2d fighting games ,right ? am waiting for your answer :thumbup:

reizencroft
May 6th, 2008, 11:50
dude loooooooooook at what u just said, you just give us a new hope and you know what i really love you dude (don't understand me wrong :cool: ) from what i see we don't need the full FPS that the DC use and as the bro dangee have told us we can have the lost 6MiB from the main ram add to that (0.5 resolution, single frameskip , interlaced display @15-20 fps) & the small screen that the psp have which i think may use less of the VRAM and also i think that a lots of games use lower than the full Potential of the DC system (i mean the VRAM memory) so at the very bad luck we can at least port the 2d fighting games ,right ? am waiting for your answer :thumbup:

oh, i forgot to consider the resolution of the PSP and DC. Thinking about it, we can lessen it to fit the PSP. Seeing the success of the ps1 emus, IMHO, it is possible to emulate DC games.

But now where do we start. Personally, I just started out on the homebrew scene, I don't own a DC and didn't played that much on it. And not familiar with many of its games. I'm just stating my opinion to the best of my knowledge. But it is feasible.

khalid-neo
May 6th, 2008, 19:49
ooooooooooook now we can play our old great DC games again

immmmmmm, damit i am new too to the homebrew scene but old DC & PSP Fan ( i know that isn't helping) , ok i have an idea can you code a homebrew for the psp as much complicated as the exist one's because my idea is to ask for help from the DC programmer and also from the psOne emulator's creator & also from the professional PSP devs in here sooo what in your mind ???

yaustar
May 6th, 2008, 23:45
It isn't going to happen. A playable DC emulator is not feasible on a PSP. There is barely a playable DC emulator for the PC and the minimum specs for the said emulator completely outclasses PSP. Again, a playable DC emulator is not feasible on the PSP, end of story.

The PS1 'emulator' wasn't homebrew, it is a hacked version of the Sony's PS1 'emulator' for the PSP.

khalid-neo
May 7th, 2008, 09:01
The PS1 'emulator' wasn't homebrew, it is a hacked version of the Sony's PS1 'emulator' for the PSP.
No its not its a homebrew & also for information it wasn't one only but i think there was three of them as i remember and i will look for them to prove what am saying . here is the link see and make sure for what i am saying : http://www.psp-hacks.com/category/42

yaustar why your so damn negtive about this, it could work because the psp have enough power to boot the DC games and the minimum specs you r talking about is for the pc to play the emulator to play the DC games and at the last chance i am talking about is to convert in some how the DC games as we do in the PSX games by the POPstation so they work at the dc specs which the psp have them, i dont know a lot about homebrew scene but i think that could be done if we got enough ppl and coders too & ambition too

dangee
May 7th, 2008, 12:11
Yaustar's just being realistic. And look, a hint.

There is barely a playable emulator for the PC
That might be a starting point for the disassembler you'll need.

By the time the nosound alpha is ready, there could be a PSP
model powerful enough to host a Dreamcast emulator.

yaustar
May 7th, 2008, 12:13
No its not its a homebrew & also for information it wasn't one only but i think there was three of them as i remember and i will look for them to prove what am saying . here is the link see and make sure for what i am saying : http://www.psp-hacks.com/category/42
Correct, there were three PS1 emulators except no-one uses them. Everyone uses the hacked official PS1 'emulator' because it is the only one that plays at full speed.

The Dreamcast is arguably technically superior then the PS2 let alone the PS1 (they were still using the NAOMI base hardware in arcades up to a short while ago). So trying to 'convert' them to work with any PS1 emulator based on specs alone is impossible (let alone the fact to do the conversion itself to is impossible to a target platform with vastly different hardware).

Even speculation to do a Dreamcast emulator on the Pandora handheld which has higher specs then the current PSP is deemed impractical to do.

khalid-neo
May 8th, 2008, 10:42
yaustar you have my respect as a coder & as a psp dev & as a friend , ok i am newbie at this but if see what i am thinking of, you will understand and now lets answer you speech :
first it doesn't matter wether every body use the emulators or no body uses them the important thing is that the emulators work and they are exist end of story (hint: look at the download numbers for the 3 homebrew).
second who said that we will try to convert them to work on ps1 emulators nop we will make our own DC emulator and also who said that we will only depends on the specs information we just want to know at the beganning if the psp has enough power to boot up the DC games (so if the psp cant it will be the end of the story and no body will gonna talk about it again) but its clearly that the psp can do the job.
third the writer of the pandora form did not mention the DC emulation and he also said its all speculation so nothing is in the real world yet

yaustar
May 8th, 2008, 16:45
first it doesn't matter wether every body use the emulators or no body uses them the important thing is that the emulators work and they are exist end of story (hint: look at the download numbers for the 3 homebrew).
Not at full speed they don't and that is the key difference.

second who said that we will try to convert them to work on ps1 emulators nop we will make our own DC emulator and also who said that we will only depends on the specs information we just want to know at the beganning if the psp has enough power to boot up the DC games (so if the psp cant it will be the end of the story and no body will gonna talk about it again) but its clearly that the psp can do the job.
As I said in my post, the conversion process you are talking about is extremely difficult to the point of where it isn't practical. The two platforms (DC and PS1) are vastly different for it to be done.

third the writer of the pandora form did not mention the DC emulation and he also said its all speculation so nothing is in the real world yet
Really?
http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#Will_Pandora_be_able_to_emulate_the_Sega_Dream cast_.2F_Anything_recent.3F
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=41026&hl=

daknight
May 8th, 2008, 17:11
From my understanding of emulators from my reading. A system must have twice or even three times the power of the original system is going to emulate.

Unless you have every single documentation of the system and you can optimize every inch of a system and create and emulator that way. I don't think a DC emulator will ever appear on the PSP, nor a 'port' of just Shenmue to the PSP, unless you have the source code is impossible, heck even Sega and Nintendo go the emulation route when re-releasing classics in systems (such as the release of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Gamecube, it was simply done via emulation). Just as a PSX or N64 emulator won't appear on the DS, even though is somewhat near the kind of 'power/specs' those systems had is the same reason a DC won't probaly appear on the PSP by homebrew.

khalid-neo
May 8th, 2008, 21:16
Not at full speed they don't and that is the key difference.

as i said it doesn't matter if we still at the beginnig of the work (alpha stage) maybe latter in the beta version or in the final relese it will work at the full speed (maybe).

As I said in my post, the conversion process you are talking about is extremely difficult to the point of where it isn't practical. The two platforms (DC and PS1) are vastly different for it to be done.

i dont care how much difficult it will be and the DC fans too. we will do the job.

Really?
http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#Will_Pandora_be_able_to_emulate_the_Sega_Dream cast_.2F_Anything_recent.3F

i am from DCemu.co.uk and also all ppl in this form so the pandora form that i was talking about is the one in our form and you r the last one who post in this form and if you lost here is the link : http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148062763#post2148062763

& at last you r answering (wrong spelling ??) your self in the links you gave us

Really?

they all talking about the same subject and (don't get me wrong) but you r really giving me more hope about the project by those links you gave me (so i guess i have to thank you so thanx dude :cool:).

khalid-neo
May 8th, 2008, 21:41
From my understanding of emulators from my reading. A system must have twice or even three times the power of the original system is going to emulate.

Unless you have every single documentation of the system and you can optimize every inch of a system and create and emulator that way. I don't think a DC emulator will ever appear on the PSP, nor a 'port' of just Shenmue to the PSP, unless you have the source code is impossible, heck even Sega and Nintendo go the emulation route when re-releasing classics in systems (such as the release of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Gamecube, it was simply done via emulation). Just as a PSX or N64 emulator won't appear on the DS, even though is somewhat near the kind of 'power/specs' those systems had is the same reason a DC won't probaly appear on the PSP by homebrew.

after all this speech did you read the previous posts in this form because if you do you wont write what you have just did & if you say that you read the previous posts & you belive that you did not make any mistake then what do you say about the PSX homebrew and for information only those homebrew was relesed before the original one of the psp and you also say that the emulating device system must have twice or even three times the power of the original system is going to emulate so from your word i can understand that the psp have the double or maybe the trible power that the PSone have, awesome !!! (the prove is the 3 psx homebrews & that is just give me and the readers more hope). so dont tell me that the psp do not have the power to emulate DC games (hint : i have a friend who put MS windows 95 in his psp and its work perfect). see you bro :cool:

yaustar
May 9th, 2008, 00:37
This is going to be my last post on this thread since I really feel like I am talking to a wall:

as i said it doesn't matter if we still at the beginnig of the work (alpha stage) maybe latter in the beta version or in the final relese it will work at the full speed (maybe).
You are missing the point. If some of the best programmers in the PSP homebrew world cannot emulate a PS1 at full speed by now, what actual reasoning do you have in saying that playable emulation of a faster and more technically advanced machine is possible?

i dont care how much difficult it will be and the DC fans too. we will do the job.
Difficult? Sorry, I have to reword that. Impossible. Think about it. Your plan to 'convert' using whatever methods you are thinking up a Dreamcast game to run on a PS1 which is vastly slower then a Dreamcast makes no logical sense.

& at last you r answering (wrong spelling ??) your self in the links you gave us
Did you actually read those threads?

Will Pandora be able to emulate the Sega Dreamcast / Anything recent?

No. Anything newer / more advanced than the Playstation that is not otherwise mentioned here is not likely to ever be emulated on Pandora in a useful manner.

I have no idea what you mean by "playable standard", to me that basically means full speed, not something like half speed. And you probably mean it in a way that applies to more than just some game no one cares about.

It's very unlikely, it's safe to just say "no."

No. There will never be a DC emulator for the Pandora that will run at anything close to a useful speed. That is the answer.

I think the consensus from devs (the people who MAKE games and ports) is that it isn't possible. Listen to the more experience people.

after that, we have the SH4 processor. Now, the PSX arch ran at 34mhz main + 16mhz video or something, the SH4 runs at 200MHZ. we have around 600mhz to play with here, but looking at the psx/GP2x ratio we got only bare minimum playable performance off that, and that was due to the awesome coders optimizing everything, and probably implementing hacks every which way.

I'm not saying that emulating the DC would be impossible in the least, but unless we have a very impressive dynarec core for the cpu, and something that can map out the older series PowerVR to the SGX530, I'd call it grim at best.

(Anything past the end of page 5 is referring to the PC emulators.)

And this is about a machine, technically more powerful then the PSP.

IF the PSP had similar architecture as the Dreamcast then it puts it in the realms of 'maybe'. Since it doesn't, I am seeing it as an impossibility to get a Dreamcast emulator working at playable speeds on the PSP.

DPyro
May 9th, 2008, 01:00
The DC can barely be emulated on a PC, what makes you think anyone in their right mind would try and create one for the PSP?

khalid-neo
May 9th, 2008, 10:41
you was right & i was wrong is that it , is that what you want to hear .
you know what i had enough too , i am trying to start some kind of great work and you do the opposit and what is that all about oh i remember the dc emulator and we didn't even do any thing its just all talking and talking so this was a really waste of time , and you know what i would love to waste it on emulator that does not work on waste it to try to convence some body who already hated the psp (i dont even know why) that the emulator could work but its okey at least i gave the same hope that razocroft give me to the 370 viewers and i hope that will be somebody who do the job because i had enough so ppl see you around and i will keep my eye on this form from a while to another to see any (good) updates so goodbye

souLLy
May 9th, 2008, 12:28
Playable Dreamcast emulation on a PSP will never happen.
locked.