PDA

View Full Version : Wii lifespan will last over four years

Shrygue
May 2nd, 2008, 17:54
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188207)

We already knew that Nintendo was shying away from the traditional four/five-year console lifespan, but it comes as a surprise to learn that Nintendo sees the cycle being extended further, rather than shortening it.

Speaking to investors President Satoru Iwata pondered over the current assumptions about console lifespans. "I have to wonder if it is all right to think that this current generation of hardware will have a four-year lifespan just because the past generation's lifespan was four years," he said. "I believe a different time cycle must be considered."

Iwata went on to say that he suspected customers reluctantly buy a Nintendo console just so they can play the software. Because of this, Nintendo owes its customers a longer lifecycle for Wii.

"Accordingly, we would like to offer new proposals one after another as long as that hardware can still provide fresh and pleasant surprises," he added. "If such efforts can be resulted in the prolonged lifespan of a hardware, that is good to us."

So can we expect to be playing the same old Wii come 2019, then? Or is this further evidence that Nintendo is looking towards adopting a business model akin to the iPod, where newer models are released without making former units obsolete? We suspect the latter.

JKKDARK
May 2nd, 2008, 18:09
mm but since many causal gamers use this system, I think it will be used for more years. Just see the PlayStation 2, it's still being played and has new games released.

PeyeRate420
May 2nd, 2008, 18:33
I agree JKdark BTW hello its been a while ;) (aka vetta)

i read somewhere that the wii was to have a short life but the next gen console may be DOUBLE backwards compatable?! meaning it would play original gc games original wii games and Wii2?! games?! of course thats speculations n such but none the less microsoft IS MAKING A MOTION PADDLE for the 360 and who knows what sont is up too! so IF there motion control IS indeed better....then wii2 will happen faster than we may think....likewise if M$'s motion support fails and Sony ps3 doesnt do better in the long run (and i beleave ps3 will do much better when the price drops a bit) then the original wii may well be around for a bit!

guess wii will have to just wait and sii LOL