PDA

View Full Version : FrodoDS - c64 emulator new screenshot

GPF
September 20th, 2005, 08:57
Iv partially implemented headspin's C64 keyboard bmp for Uppercase and shifted. Here is a screenshot of it running Bruce Lee. I still need a little work on the keyboard cant figure out why im getting the corruption at the bottom of the screen.

Also if anyone has a ndslib opengl example using a 512X512 texture so i can use a smaller view window minus the borders or give me some better ideas on scaling a 384X360 screen to 256X192 :)

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/brcleec64.png

GPF
September 21st, 2005, 02:07
heres a couple more screens running on hardware

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/kb.jpg

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/blfull.jpg

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/brleehwre.jpg

thanks to Trez from #dcemu on efnet for taking the time to take the pictures for me.

Troy(GPF)

obelisk
September 21st, 2005, 23:31
... pardon me, troy, mr gpf sir, i dont mean to bug you, but, any chance of this on the ol' dc?

obelisk
September 21st, 2005, 23:36
... pardon me, troy, mr gpf sir, i dont mean to bug you, but, any chance of this on the ol' dc?

GPF
September 22nd, 2005, 00:02
there already is a dreamcast version ported by Tolga Abaci.

Zherae
September 22nd, 2005, 01:56
Bruce Lee love that game, good idea putting the keyboard on the bottom screen with the stylus should work great.

scrabbus
October 31st, 2005, 16:37
AMAZING, AMAZING ABSOLUTELY F*ing AMAZING, I LOVED THE c64

quzar
October 31st, 2005, 22:15
Don't know if you've already done it, but you should make keys mappable to buttons and dpad. if not, it would probably be a pain to use a stylus all the time (since you could only really push one button at a time).

GPF
November 1st, 2005, 22:13
yeah im working on that support, So far only add the b button as a the spacebar for throwing grenades in commando.

Im still awaiting some help in fixing the sound and still need to figure out some kind of filesystem to load d64 etc images from, since right now iv only hardcoded prg files.

Troy

jimiz
November 5th, 2005, 11:10
I'm 45 years old... and I never forget my C64...(and before VIC 20 )
so..I read this fantastic news , and I promise me when YOu release the emulator..I take the DS of my child and I never give back!!!! :D

Please ...hurry up ! or I'm to much old for see something on the DS screen.... :D :p

Really Thankyou for what you make!!
W c64 !

A old man...

jimiz
November 10th, 2005, 11:47
any little new NEWS about ?!?!?

GPF
November 10th, 2005, 22:03
sorry been busy working on dreamcast project for the last couple weeks. My plan is to return to some of my DS projects next week as time permits.

Troy

jimiz
November 16th, 2005, 15:38
DEAR GPF
first really thanks for all what you try to do with the C64 emulator x ds!!!

...So for ANY help , betatester , test , news (I write in the emulation scene , in many sites/forums)... I'M READY & HAPPY to give my time!

BYE

Jimi

pippo
November 24th, 2005, 11:27
when the 1' release ? :confused:

GPF
November 24th, 2005, 18:41
well I had planned on releasing something this week, but ran out of time. New baby in the house cuts back on a lot my of coding time.

I havent looked at my code in a month or so. So its basically still in the same state as all the alphas iv released in #dcemu and #dsdev on efnet.

Still need to figure out streaming sound, and some way to load d64 etc images, right now it only loads 1 prg file, by pressing one of the shoulder buttons. So the prj file has to be included into the build process, unless you use a gbfs injector to replace the current embedded prg file.

Right now I have no way of testing any of my code on my DS, I need a flashcard , gbamp/cfcard etc, I am awaiting my free neoflash mk2, so that will handle part of the issue, but unless I receive a donation of a flashcard etc- its very difficult to do ds coding.

I can't promise anything yet, but Ill see if I can get what I have released soon.

Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

jimiz
November 27th, 2005, 17:48
well I had planned on releasing something this week, but ran out of time. New baby in the house cuts back on a lot my of coding time.

I havent looked at my code in a month or so. So its basically still in the same state as all the alphas iv released in #dcemu and #dsdev on efnet.

Still need to figure out streaming sound, and some way to load d64 etc images, right now it only loads 1 prg file, by pressing one of the shoulder buttons. So the prj file has to be included into the build process, unless you use a gbfs injector to replace the current embedded prg file.

Right now I have no way of testing any of my code on my DS, I need a flashcard , gbamp/cfcard etc, I am awaiting my free neoflash mk2, so that will handle part of the issue, but unless I receive a donation of a flashcard etc- its very difficult to do ds coding.

I can't promise anything yet, but Ill see if I can get what I have released soon.

Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

Right...
but....You can also accept help for who , like me , like give my time and my hardware for testing the code...can be also a good trick for make something more concrete , or not? so..You not must wait flash...I try for you...

GPF
November 28th, 2005, 17:24
like i said I have plenty of people that can test my alpha binaries in the irc chat rooms, if you hang out there eventually Ill post something for test. 8)

Im still going to continue working on it, I was just hoping that someone might start a fundraiser for me or send me donations :), since I would really like to play the c64 on my nintendo DS too, as that was my favorite computer of all time.

Troy

jimiz
November 29th, 2005, 09:19
GOOD!

something also for my email ?
( [email protected] )

=) TNX !

j3rk
November 30th, 2005, 00:22
I would be happy to donate a bit for a flash device if someone set something up. If you have a Paypal account, I'll send a bit to it. I recommend the M3 Adapter http://www.m3adapter.com You can get them here: http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/search.html?id=xvBeY6Vp

There is a CF and an SD model. This is quite nice because you can just swap out the memory card when it gets full. Also, the MK2 you're getting, can take SD cards right? (I know the MK3 does.) If so, you could order the SD version of the M3, and be able to swap your SD cards back and forth.

I have the CF version, and couldn't be happier with it. No problems at all with it.

I also know some other people who would be VERY interested in seeing this emulator work, so there are some more possible donations right there.

jimiz
December 1st, 2005, 16:06
GOOD!

something also for my email ?
( [email protected] )

=) TNX !

UP!

jimiz
December 8th, 2005, 12:30
thanks!
=(

pippo
December 8th, 2005, 12:37
SPASH II' ....... :rolleyes: :cool: :rolleyes:

You remember the FAKE c64 emulator for GBA ? 100 pics preview , many "spot" L & R ...and later? nothing! no demos, no beta releases...
We know the NDS is only for little childs , and the emulators scene is really poor (look the PSP !) but please...when YOu can not MAKE something....NO PREVIEW is better!

:mad: pippo :mad:

jimiz
December 8th, 2005, 13:54
ahhhh splash o similar name , I remember
a big big big idiot like every body who have reviews his preview for months and later the fake was true, have not sayd somthing.

I hope now here is another music , but I think here the DC have the priority
and "GPF" have not interesting to release something and take beta testers or help from us ( or me) :(

GPF
December 8th, 2005, 16:35
actually if you follow what iv been working on you'll realize iv been working on the DS lately, I needed a filesystem that I could load from so I can implement snapshots and d64 images etc.

I now have snapshots partially loading, they display the first screen offset a bit and then it resets the emulator, So Im getting closer.

I have released many alpha bins in #dcemu and #dsdev on efnet for beta tests, I have also released the source code to someone else for help with sound as it doesnt sound the best right now(I guess - again I can't test it except on emu which dont support sound yet)

Troy (GPF)

jimiz
December 9th, 2005, 23:34
I hope the best way... ;)

zektor
December 14th, 2005, 12:39
I'm sure you have heard this over and over...any news on a release date? I am so eager to give it a go and test some of my old c64 group demos :) I also wouldn't mind playing beach head 2 on the DS :)

j3rk
December 14th, 2005, 22:47
Still willing to donate for a flash device too. Anything more on that?

GPF
December 16th, 2005, 17:58
I'll try to get something setup over the holidays hopefully, for now my wife has paypal linked to our bank account so I prefer not to use that :)

Iv got the snapshot code kind of working now, but with the updates to libnds the keyboard is not working quite right now.

I can always use testers, stop by #dcemu and/or #dsdev during the weekdays, Im occasionally on the weekends but usually only late nights.

Troy(GPF)

scrabbus
January 4th, 2006, 14:06
You know I have been following the work on this emulator very closely over the past few months now. It does sadden me that there arent more people helping here. I am offering my illustrating/design services for splash screens etc, but what we need are a few more coders, SO COME ON PEOPLE LETS GET TOGETHER AND MAKE SOME MAGIC FOR THE WORLDS BEST SELLING HANDHELD EVER!!

j3rk
January 5th, 2006, 00:09
Best selling handheld running an emulator for the best selling computer. :) Quite the combo. I don't code, but I do know what just about every game for the system (yes I know that's a bold statement,) should look and sound like, so I would make an excellent tester when it's in the shape to run games. (I'm also a software tester by trade.) A friend and I have built SID based synthesizers, and I'm pretty familiar with how most of the C64's graphical tricks work (in a general sense,) and what types of games and demos to run to see if they work. I will be glad to help in these aspects. I'd like to see the file system up and running so that I can just load and test though. (I don't have tons of free time.) I've got a lot of friends with DSes, who are just as big of C64 fans as well, all of whom could do some testing. I'm also still willing to donate some cash for an M3 or something of the sort.

scrabbus
January 7th, 2006, 02:24
cool, i cant wait to see this baby in action

scrabbus
January 9th, 2006, 16:34
As I have already stated , me and about 1000 other people WANT AND NEED THIS NDS EMU, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZE

scrabbus
January 10th, 2006, 11:40
I Know, I Know, But Is There Any Chance Of This Appearing Any Time Soon Or Is This A Dead Thread?

GPF
January 10th, 2006, 20:27
its not :) I'm reworking my filesystem right now since in its current implementation only certain beta tester can get it to work with the m3, everything else never finds the snapshot to be loaded. and for some reason there is a load buzzing/humming sound constantly when running on hardware and a couple minor issues with the virtual keyboard to fix.

I need some ideas for how best to handle snapshot loading, d64 etc popup menu? Let me know what you would like it to look like and Ill do that exact opposite because its easier lol, but please give me some ideas.

Troy(GPF)

scrabbus
January 14th, 2006, 11:13
a simple file selection screen would suffice, that and the ability to save is paramount. I can work a very good splashscreen etc if your interested and I also have an M3 so testing wouldnt be a problem.

j3rk
January 19th, 2006, 00:29
I agree, a simple file selector would be fine. Maybe if you hit the two shoulder buttons together, it could pop up a disk/file selector. Once the disk is "inserted" then loading/saving could occur.

zektor
January 20th, 2006, 05:59
I have been testing the latest test on my DS with Supercard, and I am happy to announce that it works fine, aside from the buzzing noise that has been reported. The keyboard is of course a little flakey, but does indeed work. The C64 sounds are working fine, although that buzz really has to go :) The game it has been compiled with "Hero", but I will try to insert another snapshot this weekend...perhaps try to get some of my group demos to run. All in all, it really is great progress. With a little work this will definitely be one of the best emulators the DS will have to offer. The touch screen is a life saver when it comes to keyboard input, and it puts emulating this computer on the DS a step ahead of most other console frodo ports. Looking forward to updates for sure!

BTW, just for information sake, I used the ds.gba file renamed to .nds of course to enable it to run on the supercard, and it needed no patching to run...because of the loader I would assume.

scrabbus
January 20th, 2006, 11:21
Excellent news, really excellent. Now all that remains is for a nice splashscreen a la pocketnes, and I also like that menu system, but it cant hold enough roms, but thats another story. But to all concerned well done!

jimiz
January 20th, 2006, 22:15
M3 + CF
hero snap work nice...

problems:

a "buzz noise" stay long the game to the end...you can heart the c64sound but only a little...

On Hero...you can't see the "LASER" gun when you move...on the emulator (frodo) on pc.. you can see!

In the old release...with out key controll BRUCE LEE run nice... i'v not see bugs... (but I must play for examine better...)

Bye GPF & Zektor ;)

PS...but FrodoDS witch what program is compiled ? mmmh...

scrabbus
January 22nd, 2006, 12:48
great news again! But how will you tackle the problem of the buzzing noise?

scrabbus
January 22nd, 2006, 12:55
Have you got a version that I can try out? I can test a few games etc, thanks

jimiz
January 23rd, 2006, 11:15
Have you got a version that I can try out? I can test a few games etc, thanks

...only a test -release for bugs report.. YOu can'T play games but ONLY test one.... ;)

scrabbus
February 2nd, 2006, 12:43
Ok I've tested this , and I can already state that this is an absolutely fantastic achievment. Yes there is a way to go in regards to the sound and touch screen implementation, but what I have seen so far deserves a medal. EXCELLENT WORK, WELL DONE.

sice dice
February 22nd, 2007, 20:38
i am having trouble with this emulator , i know it only plays a couple of games , but i have tried several different releases , i found one that will work on my sc sdmicro slot1 without being patched , but it won't get past the compo' screen properly unless i press the a button , then you get the c64 blue screen , which absolutey makes me feel great for the old days of c64 , but i can't select any directories or load anything , i have tried v4.2 and patched it and it goes all the through even has dir selection , i select a rom and then the c64 screen comes up , i type in the usual line to load up a disk and pow .... nothing .... i got excited that i got further this time . what am i doing wrong . which version should i look for as in a working beta . i have seen vids on one working , i miss paradroid .....badly . love the game . good work on this project , great idea with the keyboard , although any version with the keyboard at the top half of the touch screen doesn't work properly .

well done , fantastic work so far . good luck with it . can't wait for the next release getting closer to playing games .

coyote_nl
August 8th, 2007, 21:52
Looks like a great app!
But how do I make it work on my Supercard Lite?
My screen (white) freezes at start then nothing :-(

Please help!

Thanks.

GPF
August 10th, 2007, 19:42
dldi patch the .nds file

bumjeans
August 26th, 2007, 12:09
Is there full SID emulation on this? Can I use C64 music trackers?