PDA

View Full Version : What features would you like to see in Next-Gen consoles?

HSK
May 5th, 2008, 15:54
Hi guys, I'm doing some research and I'd like to see what kind of features or services gamers would like see utilized in consoles of the future, or in the future for the seventh generation consoles on the market now.

any input would be great!:thumbup:

beetroot bertie
May 5th, 2008, 18:07
As a 360 owner who's had RRoD I'd put reliability/quality build at the top of the list or a 5 year warranty out of the box.

Other than that I'd go for the following:

- well designed robust pad/controller with rumble
- good/reliable behind the scenes networking for online play/services
- dreamcast compatibility (wishful thinking) :)
- in built wi-fi
- power pack preferably smaller than a brick
- superb 1st and 3rd party support for games and peripherals
- firefox and email client
- support for any USB keyboard and mouse, hard disk, webcam etc

I guess I'd boil it down to ease and convenience of use, reliability and great games.

Accordion
May 5th, 2008, 19:17
As a 360 owner who's had RRoD I'd put reliability/quality build at the top of the list or a 5 year warranty out of the box.

Other than that I'd go for the following:

- well designed robust pad/controller with rumble
- good/reliable behind the scenes networking for online play/services
- dreamcast compatibility (wishful thinking) :)
- in built wi-fi
- power pack preferably smaller than a brick
- superb 1st and 3rd party support for games and peripherals
- firefox and email client
- support for any USB keyboard and mouse, hard disk, webcam etc

I guess I'd boil it down to ease and convenience of use, reliability and great games.

That list is almost current generation…

quzar
May 5th, 2008, 19:42
I want, and have wanted for a long time, a modular system. A lot of the hardware of most systems is dedicated to power, a/v, and i/o, all things that could be pretty much identical between multiple consoles.

Basically, my ideal concept system was made 15+ years ago: the Pioneer LaserActive.

beetroot bertie
May 5th, 2008, 19:42
True Accordion, but I'd hate to see those things left out :D

And to be honest, I'm not expecting a huge leap from this gen to the next but I hope they learn from the mistakes of this gen with regards to initial pricing, reliability, good controllers etc.

Quzar - the modular system sounds spot on. It should be like that for PCs too.

splodger15
May 5th, 2008, 20:01
Maybe the ability to actually be in the game by putting on a headset and pads and you can feel all the shocks like if your shot you feel it and its done all by mind control

beetroot bertie
May 5th, 2008, 20:15
OK, how about an invisible console? So it's all built in to the TV or the OS is downloaded instantly to your screen via a super speedy wideloadband connection. Games could do the same or just piggy back your DVD player/Blu-ray Player etc. for access.

Kinda makes ultra fast internet connection for everybody a must though, and I can't see that happening in the UK.
And you'd have to buy the TV, so maybe not a good idea after all :o

I think the whole idea (I know it's not new) of measuring your heart-rate, stress levels etc could be interesting both in a Wii fit kind of way and also as a way of directly impacting the gameplay etc. It would be nice to see a new genration, or even this, try to incorporate stuff like that.

gdf
May 5th, 2008, 23:11
That list is what the PS3 can do...

;)

HSK
May 6th, 2008, 01:31
This is great guys, thanks for the suggestions, very interesting - keep them coming!

JKKDARK
May 6th, 2008, 02:38
online cross-platform

Buddy4point0
May 6th, 2008, 07:07
Head tracking.

ninja9393
May 6th, 2008, 13:04
Food Printer

I want the next gen consoles to print out Tacos

Triv1um
May 6th, 2008, 18:27
online cross-platform

Hell yes!

----

I want the next gen to have a built in time machine, and I want it to be a toaster.

ninja9393
May 7th, 2008, 04:23
Hell yes!

----

I want the next gen to have a built in time machine, and I want it to be a toaster.

I 2nd the toaster

but, the time machine on a game system wouldn't work because it makes too much sense

#1 Idea How about DVD burner, you can burn dvds of your saves and movies and music and stuff

#2 Idea why not make it transform into a crime fighting dog robot?
Call it the PS-K9 or Craptacular KITT

http://www.techgadgets.in/images/sony-aibo-ps.jpg

gdf
May 7th, 2008, 21:51
I'd like to see brilliant AI, bigger HDDs, more DLC, prefferably free.

Accordion
May 7th, 2008, 22:14
I'd like to see brilliant AI, bigger HDDs, more DLC, prefferably free.

I can see it also.

gdf
May 7th, 2008, 22:21
I can see it also.

Yes, the PC is a great machine.