PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Homebrew FAQ/Guide

wraggster
September 21st, 2005, 03:08
Tonight ive made a little guide/FAQ on what you need to play homebrew and emulators on your Nintendo DS,

Check it out here --> http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/nintendods-homebrewfaqguide.shtml

souLLy
September 21st, 2005, 10:01
looks good wragg but found a little mistake:

"...then download to your memcard and play on the PSP."

wraggster
September 21st, 2005, 16:57
shit thats what i get for doing a page at 3 am :P

Gaso
September 22nd, 2005, 13:19
This guide made me even more confused..

I have files called "whatever.ds.gba" and "whatever.nds" (not .nds.gba, but i'm guessing that extra N is a typo in your guide..)

Only thing I need is the "whatever.ds.gba"? I rename it to "whatever.gba.nds"?
What for is the .nds file? Why is it included if I don't need it?

Do the homebrew apps make saves or temp files to the flash card? Is it better to have every app in its own folder or can I just have all .gba.nds files in same folder?

wraggster
September 23rd, 2005, 00:06
the .nds files dont work on the supercard just use the .nds.gba and rename to .gba.nds or they will boot in GBA mode if you dont (weird i know)

all the apps will have to be on the root as far as i know

hsimon
November 3rd, 2005, 19:16
how can you tell if your ds is not IQue DS or the Red DS?

souLLy
November 4th, 2005, 10:34
if you have a regular store bought ds and it's not red coloured then you're fine.

Xtonic
November 6th, 2005, 14:56
when the WiFi connection comes up, will we be able to download the DS demos by the USB device?

Onetonbullet
December 15th, 2005, 17:14
I just bought a red mario kart DS. This topic is more than a month old, and I was wondering...Can the red DS run homebrew yet?

pinky007
December 19th, 2005, 19:11
I just bought a red mario kart DS. This topic is more than a month old, and I was wondering...Can the red DS run homebrew yet?
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve just got the Mario Kart Pack and bought the Pass Key & M3 (CF version) and I can’t get the NDS to see the M3. I’ve been looking around and there’s talk about updated Firmware on the NDS. How do you check which Firmware you have and have I wasted my money buying a Pass Key?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Mike.

monaug5
January 6th, 2006, 12:57
how do you make a DS homebrew game?

sormint
January 9th, 2006, 16:28
Aaagh!! I just got a Mario Kart Red DS for X-mas and was hoping to play videos and gba backups on it. I'm not really interested in emulating NDS backups. Is there anything currently available that will work for me? If not, what are we waiting for - software update for existing devices, or new hardware?

Onetonbullet
January 19th, 2006, 23:55
gba backups work on it...
(wow that was a bump)

hacker1
January 20th, 2006, 04:25
is it nessicary to use 1 GB SD Mem. Cards?

Pattesai
March 1st, 2006, 08:53
DO you have to do something with you nintendo ds before playing games from foreign countrys.

cndnlink
April 12th, 2006, 00:40
As most of you proabably know by now, the Mario Kart Red DS can play homebrew, I use the M3-Adapter and Passkey2 which is specifically designed for the new NDS hardware. It also works on the DS lite. Go to www.m3adapter.com to check it out. You can also purchase at Diveno.

C44
May 3rd, 2006, 11:00
is there a thread in this forum where i can ask about running my backed up nds roms? cant find a good guide on it :(

Selfaggressive
May 11th, 2006, 09:44
I've just got a DS from the U.S. I live in the UK though. I want to play movies and Homebrew Apps and games on it. But I haven't got a clue what to buy or where from, I've being looking at the Datel Media Player with a 4 gig harddrive but I don't really want to pay more money than I did for my DS.

Can someone suggest where the best place is to buy, and what to buy because all the sites I've being on look a little like they'd take my money and that'd be it, plus I don't really understand the difference between all these Flashcarts and passkeys etc.

Thank You!! :)

Mr_Biggs
May 20th, 2006, 00:52
Ok here's a question. can i use this combined with the supercard adapter?

http://www.linker4u.com/pp/item_detail.asp?itemID={A35FC3E4-4488-48DE-8693-0BC30F47C463}

Which are faster, CF or SD cards?

gamermole
June 4th, 2006, 23:41
is there a decent web browser for the ds that works in the same way as the opera browser that can be added to my flashcart?

also whats a good ds wifi chat app?

Kooldino
June 6th, 2006, 16:53
Ok, I have a USDM DS Lite. I'd like to play some backed up NES and SNES ROMs on it.

I also don't want a big clunky thing that sticks out of my DS (such as the M3).

Is this possible?

Also, I see that the standard way to do this is to buy a SuperPassKey, and then a card reader.

What does the SPK do, exactly? Do I need to use it once, or do i use it each time I want to run the emus?

linkenski
June 8th, 2006, 14:34
does the MAX Media Dock from http://www.codejunkies.com work?

linkenski
June 8th, 2006, 19:40
Answer Me Man!!!

fragger
June 13th, 2006, 10:57
ok i a newbie
so i have a dssupercard
a 1gb sd card
and m3 passcard( the new 1)
do i need any software oin my pc ? to run ds games on my ds ??
ta

Selfaggressive
June 13th, 2006, 11:00
Well for a start, you'd best mean homebrew games, I don't think that playing copied games is all that legal, I just got a supercard and am now waiting for my Datel Media Launcher thing, which (crossed fingers) will play homebrew apps and games..

But if you go to the supercard website www.supercard.cn then you should find the software on there.

Did that help?

fragger
June 13th, 2006, 11:03
homebrew games of course !!
copied games are bad for the industry

linkenski
June 13th, 2006, 15:55
I Need An Answer Now!!! Can I Use The Max Media Dock Or What!?!?

orangeade
June 25th, 2006, 06:44
I am in dire need of some help. I bought my Max Media Player the other day and so far it has been pretty awesome, but now I am terribly confused. I have downloaded quite a few games and applications onto my 4GB hard drive, some of the games/apps work fine, while others don't work at all. For the ones that don't work, I am just brought to a glitched screen where nothing happens. I very much want to utilize this device and I need some help. Thanks in advance.

Dictated but not read,
Dave

kittiegurl
June 30th, 2006, 11:12
Hi Everyone :)

I've been looking at the site for a while now after my little sister bought me a ds lite for my birthday :)

Her boyfriend told me that it is possible to play DS backup's on these ??? I've read loads of your posts on here, but i'm a bit of a techno phone when it comes to stuff like this.

Can anyone help me out with the following questions, i'd be ever so grateful if you could.

1. I am not that worried about older gba games, mainly just want to play ds lite backups off the memory card. So I would just need something that plays these as if they normally running off a original card (Does that make sense, i think i've just confused myself, im so silly!!!)

2. I have seen some of the cards stick out of the bottom of the ds lite, are there any that don't do this ????

3. Do I need a pass key ?? if so do i need to leave it plugged in all the time when i am playing backups, or is there some sort of "Swap trick" (Hey look i'm picking up the lingo :) ) If I do need a passkey where does it plug into

4. Is there anyway of not using a passkey ???

5. Do I then need to buy a micro sd card, if so where does it plug into (I'm guessing the supercard right???)

6. Can anyone recomend me, from a-b in very basic terms what I need to buy and where I should buy it from (I'm in england!!!)

7. I just want the easiest way to do this (also the prettiest if possible, as in nothing sticking out kind of thing :) )

Thanks for looking at this and if you can help me out it would be great and really appreciated. Thanks guys.

katerina xx

linkenski
June 30th, 2006, 13:58
i suggest you buy MAX Media Dock from www.codejunkies.com and then download Maximum Overload.

Extraction guide: after downloading the Maximum overload, simply just put it to the Root folder of the CF card.

gamermole
July 8th, 2006, 18:07
my ds touchscreen has become uncaliberated over time and the calibration wont work. ive flashed my ds using flashme and i was wondering is there an update or something to resolve this?

Ellocooliver
August 16th, 2006, 01:20
HI I'm super new to Dsemulation world, i just got the Media player with 4gb and was reading on the website that you can play some emulation on here
I would like some help on how you can play SNES games on the DS. Thanks in advace.

smokeybanana
August 29th, 2006, 18:00
HI! I AM SO NEWBIE but i want to know IF i was to get a brand new DS LITE right now, WHAT are the exact things i must get in order to get my dslite to run a homebrew game on a super card?? i read up on many things but there are so many things iam over confused now. could someone give me a simple list of what i need to get it running? supercard? SD CHIP? IS superPASS KEY AND SUPERPASS the same thing? different?? Do i need a linker?? whats a linker do? does it update my ds?? please give me a simple list of what i need in order to get everything working.

Runefox
August 30th, 2006, 22:40
Hi, again with a newbie bit. I'm thinking about getting a DS Lite at some point. I may, instead, go for a GP2X due to its homebrew base, so I have a few homebrew-specific and general questions I'd like to ask. I'm not able to create a new topic in this forum, so I figured I'd post it here. I'd like to thank whoever replies in advance, and I hope I don't sound like a total moron:

Homebrew:
1. SD / CompactFlash cards. How much can the SuperCard DS Lite/Passcard 3 address? Can it use an entire 4GB SD/CF card? Is there any difference in recognition of different brands? Is it necessary to have the bootcart inserted to boot to homebrew, or is that only for (pirated) commercial NDS games?

2. How are multiple applications on the same card handled? Is there a menu system, or does there need to be a separate card per program?

3. What about a 4GB DS-X? Are they recommended (in total, they seem to cost less than purchasing an SD/CF card, reader/writer, and SuperCard)? EDIT: Apparently it's not 4GB, it's 4Gb, which makes it 512MB. Nevermind.

4. What media players are recommended? What formats do they support? .MP3 is OK, but .OGG, .AAC/.M4A, .WMA, etc would be nice. What about the video player? How well does that work? Is there a limit to the length of the video (assuming there is enough space on the card)? How well does the SWF player work?

5. Emulators. Is there an NES emulator to the point of, for example, full speed/sound with fair compatibility? Genesis? SNES? This is fairly important.

Generic:

6. Is there a North America release date on the web browser?

7. What is the Wi-Fi gaming / communication like? Is it generally stable?

8. Stupid question: Is it a bad idea to spray paint the casing with plastic paint? If not, is it generally non-harmful for the DS to place an adhesive printed overlay over the shell? I would like to personalize the DS rather than simply going with the shiny white look.

9. Does the DS Lite come with an AC adaptor? I've read that it isn't compatible with the GBA adaptor and that it's a problem for some.

10. Final question: DS or DS Lite? I've got large hands and found handling the DS with stylus-intensive games to be an act of futility and generally very awkward. Is the DS Lite, with the larger stylus, any better? Is the screen sharper as well as brighter? How about durability? Is it quite as durable as the DS was? Are the screens prone to scratching or loss of calibration?

CrackA
September 2nd, 2006, 14:36
Thanks for all the links, but, could someone please give me a link showing how to make ur DS homebrew and Bakcup ready? please.

xdanny_boyx
September 4th, 2006, 23:51
hey guys and gals...

which of the supercard adapters (flash type) won't stick out of my nintendo ds lite, even with the flash card in it?

also.. is there anyone around Manchester with a superpasskey willing to do me a paid favour?

cheers guys
danny xx

The Hombrew Hunter
September 4th, 2006, 23:59
How come...my guide (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32500) was ignored...?

Well, if anyone needs something answered that's not on Wragg's guide, ask me on my guide.

xdanny_boyx
September 5th, 2006, 00:27
sorry i meant SD Type not Flash type...

diggert
September 19th, 2006, 17:26
ok

here goes,

i would like to play homebrew,snes,nes,genesis and backed up nds & gba games alongwith movies and mp3's (dont want much do i )

please can somebody let me know what hardware would be best to buy.

ta in advance

digger

iball
September 20th, 2006, 08:27
ok

here goes,

i would like to play homebrew,snes,nes,genesis and backed up nds & gba games alongwith movies and mp3's (dont want much do i )

please can somebody let me know what hardware would be best to buy.

ta in advance

digger
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?p=217800#post217800

las_kecap
September 24th, 2006, 14:24
do tou all have the link to a site with complete gbc or gb rom?thanx before
and can we play gbc roms with save status like we play gba on ds so we dont have to start from the beginning when we turn it off
im sorry if my english doesnt good
im from indonesia
nice to meet u all
thanx

Rollwithit
November 5th, 2006, 10:34
Hi all,

a total newbie to the forums etc etc, ok here goes,
ive just purchased a pink ds lite for my daughter for xmas,
i'm sure you have had this question 1000 times before, what is the best way of getting homebrew games etc etc to run??? also where would i get the homebrew games? sorry to sound so new, lol, but i am, any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

NoQuarter
November 5th, 2006, 11:09
It is against the rules to ask for links to roms.Google....

Homebrew is found here at Dcemu.

NinTenDoh
November 14th, 2006, 01:09
I want to run MSN on mine and my girlfriends but I dont even know where to start I know i need a pass key and something else as I have been reading into it, where is the best place in the UK to buy 2x of what i need (as i need one for my girlfriends ds)....

help appreciated....

I'm sorry for posting asking this, I did try pming a few people first.

vraz
November 20th, 2006, 03:36
do u think u can tell me how to put an emulator on my new nintendo ds

Rollwithit
November 22nd, 2006, 21:57
AS you can see there very helpful here, perhaps if they got there heads out there own asses it might help, its very encouraging , really makes you want to visit forums again here doesn't it??

jefklak
December 13th, 2006, 09:30
Lovely guide, thanks! :)

zidanerick
December 30th, 2006, 09:37
Good stuff, just gotta buy me some toys now :D

Masterz13
January 15th, 2007, 02:49
How come I cant make a thread (sorry if this is off topic) and is there a Game Boy/Advance emulator for DS (NDS format)? Thanks.

DanTheManMS
January 15th, 2007, 03:53
You can't make a thread because only moderators are allowed to post news here. If you want to submit news, there is a "submit news" subforum from the main page.

And no, there is no GBA emulator for the DS. If you want to play .gba files on the DS, you'll need a device that supports it.

kurtless
March 5th, 2007, 04:51
Hey I just formated my CFC for my MMD.And the screen is now white whenever I start it up.I remember it did this the first time I did this.But anyways I also remember fixing it.And I have been watching videos,and doing other stuff.Does anyone know how to start it up again?

JushinLiger
March 9th, 2007, 16:58
That FAQ was most good, I had a few questions about DS Homebrew and thats answered a couple. I'm still waiting for my Superkey to come through though.

kiwovo
March 16th, 2007, 20:47
Hi, Im new and i never got email from admin..
anyway i have a serval questions.
1.i have n-card how can i run gba roms on it? or where can i find gba emulator for nintendo ds?
2.can someone give me a link for a program who can convert media so it will work on my nintendo ds?
Thanks i hope i didn't do anything against the rules.

DanTheManMS
March 17th, 2007, 01:06
Slot-1 cards cannot run GBA binaries at all.

Try Moonshell to convert your video files. The DPGenc program is included with the latest download.

kiwovo
March 17th, 2007, 13:58
Ty ! i found better program that even add subs!!!!!
this rocks i can see lost on my ds! bwhahahaha!
Anyway i hope i can find something .. i really want to play GBA games.. :(

Organicreflex
March 18th, 2007, 12:08
Hello, we're new to this emulating business

We tried to download 'Earth Invaders' and the file is there on our PMP Giga pack but when we select the file, the top screen stays black and nothing happens. Could you please tell us if we have missed out a step or if we have done something wrong here's what we did:

-Clicked on the 'Earth Invaders' link
-selected 'ds 0.4 28th June 2005'
-transferred it to the giga pack
-file is there with an arrow and cartridge icon, but nothing happens when we select it.

DoctorEggman
April 2nd, 2007, 07:44
Hey, is it possible to launch home-made Game Maker games on my DS using Max Media Dock?

petman
April 5th, 2007, 14:22
how do,
petman here..
I have never used this site before so you will have to bear with me..
i love playing NETHACK and have recently found out that you can play it on the ds..(how)?...

I am not that computer minded so if anyone knows of a card you can just plug in or do you just play it direct off the pc,( which seems pointless to me)..
I'm hopng it's a card that you can buy...

Hope you can help.
petman

sammysausage
April 10th, 2007, 09:58
Hello!

Could someone please help...

I have set up everything for my homebrewed games but when i turn the DS on it just sticks at Loading, any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks xxxxx

Harshboy
April 14th, 2007, 22:00
Does anyone know how good the N-Card is? I found a 16 Gb (2 GB) version on Sky2k and its only $45 I was gonna get an R4 with a 1 GB TF card for $50 Shipped, but then i found this.

Just wondering about support for Games on the N-Card (Not Homebrew, i know about the DLDI issue) and if this is even real or fake being i've only seene 8 Gb (1 GB) models of the N-Card.

DanTheManMS
April 14th, 2007, 22:19
The N-card is a series of clones that come in 1 GB and 2 GB varieties. I'd personally recommend the R4 for its removeable storage, but I've heard the N-card and clones are fairly good at playing back games.

By the way, I'm glad I'm not an epileptic after looking at your signature, lol.

Harshboy
April 15th, 2007, 03:50
Hehe, well Ok. Maybe I'll get the N-Card. 2 GB is plenty of space for me, heck, so was 1 GB.

LoneWolf-v7
April 15th, 2007, 11:28
uhh im confused
i got a fw4 ds with GBA movie player
could anyone give me a couple of pointers

DanTheManMS
April 15th, 2007, 21:34
For the CF version, you'll need to first get a NoPass device and then install Chishm's hacked firmware. This will let you boot DS homebrew that's properly named.

For the SD version, you'll need to first get a NoPass device and then install the latest official firmware, which will let you have very limited DS homebrew capability.

bing04777
April 26th, 2007, 09:02
I have my NDS for about a month now and bought this ninja supercard with a micro sd slot it fits on the NDS slot 1 runs NDS roms with some exceptions. you can also view pictures and has a built in sofetware for wifi connection and MP3 playing. One question though do i need to upgrade my firmware or anything. I also would like to know if i would be able to run emulators on this card and if if possible what can i run?

Thanks for the help

DanTheManMS
April 27th, 2007, 01:27
I'm really unfamiliar with any card with "Ninja" in the title, as I don't know anyone who's bought one. I would check their website to see if they have any firmware updates.

If you can run regular .nds homebrew files, you can probably run emulators. For NES, use NES DS with the "R4" instructions found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/NES_DS but saving most likely will not work. For SNES use SNEmulDS patched with the correct DLDI file for your device. PicoDrive also apparently has DLDI support for playing Genesis games.

Llamatron
April 30th, 2007, 09:19
Someone needs to make a Llamatron homebrew game...

Llamatron
April 30th, 2007, 11:06
Im currently looking for a new flashcart for my NDS Lite, i just took my Max Media Dock back to walmart to get my money back, cause it was horrible! I was wondering if anyone would have any info about flashcarts and what not.. whats the best ones out there. Im looking for one that can do the whole works. mp3's, video's, pictures, and can also play multiple homebrewed games... I have my eye on the CycloDS Micro because its fairly cheap and it seems better, and i like how it fits my NDS Lite snug. Is this a good buy? please reply anyone thanks! :) http://www.cyclopsds.com/cgi-bin/cyclods/engine.pl?page=products-cyclodsmicro-specs

Memento
May 4th, 2007, 08:20
All i got to say is lol

aznTerz
May 6th, 2007, 13:25
umm....
heyz.... i just wanna ask
do u need to play an extra adapter to play homebrew and backed up games?

pagdodd
May 27th, 2007, 20:22
Having been a PSP fan for the last two years, I found it to be really easy to "modify" and play "legal back ups of my games"

....but I just got bored with it and fancied a change. So I sold it.

I already have a Wii and figured that it will have some sort of connection facilities with the DS in the future so I bought a brand new DS lite yesterday, in the hope of playing back up games. I have purchased a M3 DS Simply & 2GB Micro SD Card from ebay for £45 with delivery.

Firstly, is this a good deal or not?

Secondly, how good is this card for playing DS backup games and do I need to do anything to my DS before it will work?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :)

ninz
May 29th, 2007, 03:05
First off, I fooled around with the PSP before ever buying a DS...

I mostly used my PSP to hold SNES, Genesis, GBA, NES emulators/roms/games... and I would like to do the same with my DS.

My question is, is it possible to put old gen emulators on the DS and which ones work well.

(Also, I just ordered an R4 a few days ago, will I be able to run these emulators on R4, or is the R4 strictly for .nds backups?

Billo-Exx
May 29th, 2007, 08:22
well is it so hard to open a new thread ??? >_<
the search function has helped many people >_>

the r4 and m3 simply are both the same , with the exception the r4 gets firmwareupgrades earlier.
both of them only accepts .nds files , hb must be patched with dldi patcher. NDS gamegs works perfectly
i bought myself the R4 some months ago for 50 € because my M3 Perfect SD has broken ... i want it back >_>

some emulators exist for genesis & co although they are currently in development so they dont run perfectly
NES and SNES works mostly fine , Genesis ... my informations may incorrect but i think it doesnt run at full speed , sound problems ...

hope that helped , but please use in the future the search function >_>

Kulawend
June 19th, 2007, 18:29
I have purchased a M3 DS Simply & 2GB Micro SD Card from ebay for £45 with delivery.

Firstly, is this a good deal or not?

Secondly, how good is this card for playing DS backup games and do I need to do anything to my DS before it will work?

1. Some might call that a good deal.
2. If you want to know how good a cart will work, simply use Google! Just search for "(cart name here) Reviews". Simple as that. Not trying to be rude, but asking about things that you can easily find on Google wont give you much respect in most forums.

My question is, is it possible to put old gen emulators on the DS and which ones work well.

(Also, I just ordered an R4 a few days ago, will I be able to run these emulators on R4, or is the R4 strictly for .nds backups?

1. There are some emulators for the Nintendo DS on the DS news page. http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/

2. Yes R4 can play homebrew.

Also, I think some of you might be wondering what the laws are on Backups (ROMs). (these were the current laws last time I checked, if the laws have changed please notify me.)

When you download a backup you can use it for 24 hours, after that you must delete it, UNLESS you own the game in its original form.
If you do not delete it after 24 hours and you do not own the game, you are breaking the law and promoting piracy.
The 24 hour time limit is so that you can TEST the game and decide if you want to buy it or not.

DanTheManMS
June 19th, 2007, 22:56
As far as I know, the whole "24 hour" thing is complete BS made up by these rom sites to make you think you're not doing anything illegal.

I was under the impression that a single backup was allowed if, and only if:
1. The backup is made yourself, using your own originally purchased hardware
2. The backup is used solely as a backup, sitting in archive in case the original hardware breaks.

Regardless, even if you backup the copy yourself, we are not allowed to discuss them on DCemu according to the rules.

AlanGray
July 2nd, 2007, 19:39
I've read all the faqs i can find, and i cant make heads or tails of them.

Most FAQs i've read are either very old or say "you can try this...or this is also an option...or what about this?" and they are confusing. I had to search for an hour before i found somewhere that explain what "homebrew" meant in emulation terms...

Can someone please just give me a shopping list of their recommended items to buy; dont worry about links to the shops, just the name of them.

I know the information will be out there somewhere but would please someone be so kind to just write up a "starter pack" shopping list for me?

steve280
July 3rd, 2007, 22:22
Hi guys

I am new to this site, and also new to the nintendo ds.
I have bought a ds and the m3 cartridge and 2gb transflash memory card.

I have a few zipped games on dvd, but cannot seem to get these games to play from the memory card. I have unzipped into a folder and copied to memory card but still no joy.

What am I doing wrong?

DanTheManMS
July 4th, 2007, 02:03
AlanGray, there are so many products out there that it's hard to give a specific "one size fits all" recommendation. What are you interested in doing with the homebrew device?

AlanGray
July 4th, 2007, 12:17
Playing my back up NDS and GBA games, that's about it

AlanGray
July 4th, 2007, 13:33
its alright now, bought an R4

DanTheManMS
July 4th, 2007, 19:07
GBA binaries will not run on the R4 or any other slot-1 device. If you wish to do that, you could consider the slot-2 EZ-V 3in1 expansion pack. It's only about $20 and while it's not as fully featured as some of the other slot-2 devices out there, it works pretty well for its price.

Thax
July 9th, 2007, 17:21
As you can guess I'm still a n00b(lsorry XD) but is it possible to download a freeware game:

http://www.acid-play.com/download/sonic-3d-robo-blast-ii/

like that, and that put it onto a DS flash card? So you can play it and all. :)

DanTheManMS
July 9th, 2007, 23:38
That game was made for the PC, correct? If so, then no it will not run. Programs need to be written specifically for the DS before they will run.

zfunk007
July 17th, 2007, 06:27
I am also new to the DS homebrew scene and would like some info. I have been researching it and basically what I want to do is use a slot 1 card so that I can basically use emulators for things like NES, SNES and Genesis game emulators as well as possibly running DS games off of the card.

So what exactly do I need? One of these supercard things?

d_smush
July 19th, 2007, 23:40
Hello, been reading alot of topics on this and beup live 0.3e still doesnt work for me I get stuck on the IP config page Ihave tried many things that are mentioned in these forums like using a retail game to set up manually your wifi settings and patch the files etc etc etc and still i get stuck with the wifi config page my friend has the old DS and worked first time for him and what I dont understand is i enter everything manually on retail game (42 all time classics) and i can still get online with it but not on beup. (when i say manually i choose auto set up then go back into the setting and put everything in as manual. also the part i get confused on is does it want your PCs IP and stuff or your routers? this isnt my main querey that is how do i get past the IP config screen.

Thanks

PS - would of suplied a picture of what im stuck at but cant find it (i had it before :()

Da_ALC
July 23rd, 2007, 12:24
Hi there people. I am wondering if there is a way to boot GBA roms from the R4DS using Slot 1 only?

InsaneMonkey
July 23rd, 2007, 15:05
Da_ALC: No, I don't think so.

My question: How reliable is the USB adapter that comes with the R4DS? Like, what are the chances of it frying my USB port? Thanks!

Da_ALC
July 24th, 2007, 20:26
None at all, its a tidy piece of kit.

norniron
August 9th, 2007, 10:25
Hi, could somebody tell me what i should be looking to buy so that i can run emulators for old snes games and gameboy games etc and to be able to watch movies, mp3s and ebooks on my ds lite?

all this passme, flash, supercards, slot-1 + slot-2 stuff has me completly confused.

i've seen on a website a "M3 DS Simply Package with 2Gb Micro SD Card" for £39.98, would this do the job and is it a good price?

deltadj3
August 10th, 2007, 04:10
Are there any emulators to play PSP roms on the NDS? If so do you have any links?

Llamatron
August 13th, 2007, 01:08
Can anyone send me a link to a good NDS homebrew game maker?

DanTheManMS
August 13th, 2007, 01:23
The only real option you have for making programs on the DS is to use DevKitARM with the C++ language. You can use PALib to make it easier, and perhaps you could try doing something in LUA using DSLUA, but there's no "Game Maker" type app for the DS, sorry.

yunhe
August 15th, 2007, 15:25
haha you can try seach the net

Jax0
August 18th, 2007, 12:12
I saw something that looks similar to the supercard adapter it's called "DS Movie Player". I don't know if it will run any homebrew apps or games. And do I need a SuperPassKey if I'm not going to play GBA stuff? (its a DS cartridge).

DanTheManMS
August 18th, 2007, 23:08
I've never seen a "DS Movie Player". I've seen a slot-2 GBA Movie Player, a slot-1 Datel Games N' Music, but no DS Movie Player. Could you please provide a source for the device or a picture or something?

russianjap
August 23rd, 2007, 18:34
i am ez5(slot 1) user but don't have ez5 shot2.

are we play gba on nd(without ez5 slot2),now?

(my think is able to homeblew or anyway,do it)

answer plz.

vicks7005
August 25th, 2007, 13:26
hi im new to all of this and was after a bit of help. i just got a maxmedia player ang 4gb card. I plugged into computer and drop and drag some photos, i then went to my ds to open these in pics and can see the file name but when i double click it doesnt open the picture! I have now downloaded moonshell to my computer and saved in my docs. Can someone help me how i can open my pics and use other stuff, cheers

DanTheManMS
August 26th, 2007, 05:13
russianjap, no there is no GBA emulator for the DS. You must have something in slot-2 to run GBA files.

vicks7005, you will likely need to repatch the Moonshell.nds file with an alternate DLDI file for the Max Media Player giga-pack thing so that Moonshell will be able to talk to your filesystem. Download and install the latest version of DLDIrc from the Tools section of http://dldi.drunkencoders.com and then right-click Moonshell.nds to patch it with the new patching option that appears.

You will need to put the Moonshell.nds file somewhere where the MMP can boot it like a homebrew file. Maybe it needs to be in a special "applications" folder or something, I dunno. Basically, you use the MMP loader to launch Moonshell, which is where you can browse your card and view images, text, mp3s, etc.

Skan
August 31st, 2007, 09:47
I wish to participate but why I can't get on after registered some time ago?
I want to know more on NDS lite & ez card etc

ButterBeer121
September 3rd, 2007, 15:37
I have a 40-50 dollar budget and I need a good Slot-1 card that plays ROMs, homebrew games, DLDI support. Preferably uses an SD card and that cartridge won't stick out. Also, I have a white DS lite.

What is a good card I could get?

I won't need a Slot-2 card unless I want to play gba homebrew games right?

Phant0mZero
September 3rd, 2007, 16:37
M3 simply, supercard slot 1.

ButterBeer121
September 3rd, 2007, 17:48
Thanks. How much does M3 cost?

MrKuenning
September 4th, 2007, 00:40
got my simply for 32 dollars, and a 2 gig micro for 19, total wasnt much over 50.

I also bought the ezflash 3n1 for $19 that lets me use the browser and play gba games with the M3 Simply. But its not required.

The DealExtreme site sold me the simply for $32 and the shipping was only a penny. So look through their stuff for anything else you might want.

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3179

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134478

ButterBeer121
September 4th, 2007, 01:40
I bought and R4 before you posted that. I wish you would've posted earlier.

DanTheManMS
September 4th, 2007, 05:09
The R4 and M3 Simply are the exact same thing.

ButterBeer121
September 4th, 2007, 11:37
Alright, thanks for all the help. Can't wait until it gets here.

DanTheManMS
September 5th, 2007, 03:56
We cannot discuss roms here, sorry.

ButterBeer121
September 5th, 2007, 22:12
Sorry, edited.

JosephStalin
September 14th, 2007, 21:48
Are there any emulators to play PSP roms on the NDS? If so do you have any links?

no but the psp can play ds roms!
lol sorta, it can play the intros

Anyways, i just got an old DS, the m3 is the best homebrew opener out there?
I want to play ds and gba backups, and maximize the ds' potential without spending my life fortune.

ihlau
September 28th, 2007, 06:50
I bought a DS with a Firelink card in Hong Kong. http://www.consoleplus.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=ds-fire-link-slot-1-for-ds-and-ds-lite-8gb
it was working fine before, but now it doesn't work. when i try to load games, it says that its unable to write data. And when i try to run DSOrganize, it says my card is not compatible with Chishm's library.
Does anyone know where to find info on this? or can anybody help me please?

Thanks

zillion94
October 3rd, 2007, 02:31
Ok, I am sooo confused with homebrew on the DS. I am fine on the Wii but I just bought a DS and I have a pending order for a DS-Extreme 2 Gig that I am tired of waiting on... DCEMU just listed new devices today and I want to know which one is the best all in one simple solutions so I can run/play emulators on my DS. I still have time to cancel my order (and not pay $130) for the DS-Extreme if another one at a fraction of the price does the same. I'd like great storage capacity but wonder if getting one with Micro SD support is better for upgrading (I have multiple Sd cards for my Wii and can use the same cards) instead of the slow erasing process of swapping files on one 2 gig capacity.

So, is there a definitive review or general consensus on the best method? Supercard's new one from Diveno? Ds linker? Or should I just keep my order on the DS-Extreme?

gears_of_war360
October 15th, 2007, 23:43
i have games n music card and i cant get these games to run on it?? Im using winrar and patching them all up but they just dont work.
Drugwars, Whee!, Fishtank are the maine games that dont work. Please Help!!

fat-chunk
November 23rd, 2007, 02:22
I want a slot-1 card for my DS to play DS ROMS AND GBA ROMS. Which peripheral would you recommend? I am not too bothered about the music or video players as long as they have the best ROM compatibility for both DS and GBA...

spencino
December 10th, 2007, 17:00
I have the Supercard Lite and Passcard three how do I get homebrew / various Roms to run on this..? bit new to all this.. bought on recomendation from this site?

Flygon
December 11th, 2007, 08:58
I want a slot-1 card for my DS to play DS ROMS AND GBA ROMS. Which peripheral would you recommend? I am not too bothered about the music or video players as long as they have the best ROM compatibility for both DS and GBA...

Thats at the moment impossible, they haven't quiet figured out how to run GBA code from DS slots yet really.

aedes993
December 22nd, 2007, 11:04
hey i am new to the forum...
but anyways i took a look on other sites first and i happened to cross over this...
its called dsmplay its a homebrew application made for the Nintendo DS and and the DSlite ...
it plays both mp3 formats and within the download itself there was this application called dsmenc which converts avi, flv, and mpeg into a format playable by the application...
here is the link http://dl.qj.net/DSMPlay-v0.8-Nintendo-DS/pg/12/fid/14572/catid/220

there is goin to be a download button somewhere in the middle a bit when u 'll scroll down

and if u need any help email me on [email protected]

hope u enjoy it....

pokey8349
December 28th, 2007, 23:50
i am thinking of buying a nintendo ds lite. Can anyone help me to mod it to play homebrew and stuff? I am very capable at modding psp's (done many before) but the DS seems a bit more confusing - something about a passkey 3?

Thanks for the help

hiway7
January 5th, 2008, 03:20
thank you for this.

gamer8000
January 26th, 2008, 15:53
If you're looking for a great UK supplier of R4DS and DSTT cards, go to www.r4revolution.co.uk

I bought an R4DS from them and i received it after 2 days. Just thought i'd share this with all my fellow gamers.

brendo8686
February 7th, 2008, 15:13
can anyone recomend a good nintendo wii emulator that works well. also i need to know how fast a pc needs to be to run it.

also here is a good site for lots of emu's and roms for nintendo 64, ds gba sega playstations series and mac and iphone mobile phone emulators

http://www.techagesite.com/emulators%20New%20and%20good.htm

dirty_cousin
February 8th, 2008, 20:58
Hey dude this is for DS stuff. Thanks for the link to the what seems useful DSMplay aedes993 but yeah I've got a Mac :(. Please someone help with the mac and this crap.

gaz12
March 1st, 2008, 18:33
Can someone help,copied all files onto card and installed into the R4 turned on the Ds but just comes up with a loading screen left it for around 5 mins but still the same????????

please help.

mrgimpface
March 9th, 2008, 21:51
Can someone help,copied all files onto card and installed into the R4 turned on the Ds but just comes up with a loading screen left it for around 5 mins but still the same????????

please help.

tried the old gameboy trick of taking out the card, blowing into the slot in the console, and on the card where it plugs in?

if that doesnt work, try formatting the SD card.

check that you have the R4 system files on it

luminouslight
April 3rd, 2008, 23:07
I just bought my M3 Real DS. I have been playing arround with it by getting the system files and stuff ,but I am totally stumped on how to get my homebrew to work. Whenever I try to run it, it comes with a DLDI compatible on a loading screen and stays there forever. I have tried a wide variety of homebrew programs but they all do the same thing. Help?

JEFFERS186
April 6th, 2008, 18:37
Hi folks i am a complete newbie and i am just about to order the M3 real ds rumble packs for my 2 boys and was wondering:
1: Is there anything else required to get this working and also where are the best sites to getgames as i have been mostly using Mininova for more other downloads.
2: How do i get movies on there so they can watch them in the car and give me some piece thanks any help would be great

thejoker37
April 13th, 2008, 13:39
I'm a novice at this but hopefully this should help some new people.

How to get up and running playing games straight away.
( less than 5 to 10 minutes depending on your computer skills)

Just bought N5 card** and MicroSD cards from http://www.techsplosion.co.uk other cheaper shops are available. :) but they suppplied me within 24 hrs and I had dealt with them before so I knew they were reliable and not ripoff merchants.

Inserted the microSD card into the USB card reader

1. Formatted card to FAT. ( N5 cards seem to prefer the FAT rather than FAT32.)

2. Downloaded the latest 1.17 system files from http://www.dsn5.com/EN-N5/n5-en.htm The N5 cards comes supplied with a CD with the system files on it, these were older 1.16 version that probably had some bugs in the programming. The newer version 1.17 has these bugs fixed. From what I have read about the N5 card they hope to be updating the software regularly unlike some of the other card manufacturers.

3. Unzipped /extracted the files to the MicroSD card.

4. Other methods fo finding games are available but this is quickest method I used. Googled this exact phrase:

"Parent Directory" ds roms .nds

Downloaded the backup games I required from the first decent site (Right click on file name and select save as.. save these to a folder on your hard drive.).

5. Extract/unzip the file to the MicroSD card which is still in the USB reader. If it is just a .nds file you have downloaded just copy it straight to the MicroSD card.

6. Insert the MicroSD card into the N5 card adapter.

7. Insert this into your DS LITE and turn it on.

8. Using sytlus tap the first Icon on the left of the bottom screen.

9. Top screen should have list of the games you put on the microSD card.

10. Using the + pad on the left of your DSlite you can move up and down the menu. Bottom screen will show you the name of game in a box like original games. To play the game just tap the box. If the screen show a cheat box you can tap on it to disable the cheat modes (which are ON by default). Otherwise just play the game as normal. Most games will give onscreen instructions on how to play.

** N5 cards are newest clones of the R4 /M3 card they run the exact same system files (R4 file encrypted N5 files are not.) These cards plug in SLOT-1 ( exact same way as original carts). You do not need any any passcard and supports all version of DS. The N5 cards support 1Gb up to 32Gb MicroSd cards. (The brand I use are Kingston and they work pretty well)

PLEASE NOTE: I do not own any sites or have files available for downloading. I do not condone priacy of any kind, the information supplied is for software programming educational use ONLY and is easily and freely available on the internet you just need to know where to look. You should only download the games if you have bought the original. The .nds files are backups in case your original games gets damaged.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SELL THESE BACKUPS IT IS ILLEGAL. THEY ARE FOR EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY.

DanTheManMS
April 13th, 2008, 20:50
You act as if downloading the games is more legal than selling them. The "backup" argument is not valid, despite what people want to believe.

Whatever, it's not worth arguing.

xxTDGPainxx
April 22nd, 2008, 01:18
What slot-2 devices can i use to run gba roms on my M3 Simply and how do i do it.

unc3heels
April 30th, 2008, 08:17
kay i got a quick ?. I just bought a DS lite, but it doesnt let me save GBA games on it...any1 kno whats up?

says "save failed, checking backup memory" but just stays at that screen.

aiat_gamer
May 1st, 2008, 17:15
can some one help me with pictods pleez?i want to convert a pdf file to jpg,and i have program called pdftojpg but i dont know how to set up the third party section(the pdf to jpg section).it gives me an error .i only added this but wont work:"C:\Program Files\PDFtoJPG\PDFtoJPG.exe" (seems that i need to add some extensions but i dont know how.

DanTheManMS
May 1st, 2008, 21:39
Try installing Paperless Printer instead to print your PDF file to a series of JPEG images which can then be converted with PicToDS.

I know PicToDS has some form of PDF-to-CBDS conversion built-in, but I honestly have no clue how to work it.

aiat_gamer
May 1st, 2008, 22:07
1)how do i install a paperless printer?
2)pict ds doesnt accept jpg files,does it?i only can add cbr,cbz and pdf files to it...

if someone tell me the original path for pdf to jpg part in pictods under the option-->configure path i can make it work.(i screwed up when i tried to change it!!)

DanTheManMS
May 5th, 2008, 02:56
Paperless Printer installs just like any other program. AFter installing it, go to your document and go to File - Print. Choose Paperless Printer and hit "print" to see the various options you have.

PicToDS can select a folder full of regular *.jpg images with the Choose Folder option (or whatever it's called).

soloster
May 5th, 2008, 23:11
or you can use this online convertor...
http://convert.neevia.com/
Its what i use!!!

rzester
May 8th, 2008, 02:28
This thread is a bit of a minefield to navigate for those of us who are a bit new to all this. I got an M3 DS Real for my birthday and am just trying to work out what I can do with it. Is there any chance someone who knows what they're talking about could compile all this information into one post with descriptions that mean something to those of us who might not instinctively know what an emu is (other than a big flightless bird that runs fast, that is)? Maybe a new post for beginners? I'm really trying to learn but there doesn't seem to be much info out there that is catered for beginners, and you have to just through hoops to find what there is.

This got me started with Moonshell, if there's anyone in the same boat as me: http://www.mobydisk.com/techres/nintendods/index.html but there were quite a few things I still needed to work out for myself and from there I'm a bit stuck. I spent hours trying to work out how to play a video file using the inbuilt media player, then discovered that I can't find a converter that works for .dsm files. Another wasted day got me using Moonshell, and DSOrganize, but it took me a while to work out. While I've never been all that into game colsoles etc. I am an IT professional so I at least have some understanding of what people are talking about. I'd hate to think what's like for people who aren't! I'd really like to learn to use the inbuilt software before jaunting off into the Homebrew world but where do I even start?

DanTheManMS
May 9th, 2008, 02:41
The problem is that homebrew changes quite often, and it's usually pretty difficult to maintain a large amount of material like this since everything is so dynamic.

You can try looking through the various wikipedia-like sites out there, like the PocketHeaven wiki, GBAtemp wiki, DS-Xtra wiki, etc.

Just for the record, an "emu" is short for an emulator, which is used to make a system simulate another system. For instance, with an emulator you can run NES games on your DS because the emulator interprets the NES games and translates them into something the DS can use. Each emulator requires different setup methods.

rzester
May 14th, 2008, 04:52
I need Help! I've just recently gotten the M3 DS Real bundle but now I'm having problems with the T-Flash Card Reader (http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/servlet/the-4799/microSD-%28T-Flash)-Card-Reader/Detail), meaning I can't copy anything to my DS. Whenever I plug it in I get an error saying:

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it".

It has been working fine up until today. I've tried all the normal avenues - different USB port, rebooted, uninsalled the USB root hub and rebooted... Nothing seems to work. When I plug it in to a new port it starts to install the drivers but part way through says there was a error and gives me the above error message. The problem only affects this device and all my other USB devices work fine. The error appears whether I have the memory card in it or not and I can read the memory card if I use a different card reader (borrowed...).

I think that I need to manually reinstall the drivers for the card reader but I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know either where I can download a fresh copy of the drivers or another way to fix this? Maybe if I could replace the .dll...? I'm stumped!