PDA

View Full Version : Japanese WiiWare titles pirated on U.S. Wiis

wraggster
May 6th, 2008, 20:59
For those readers who just can't wait one more week for the U.S. launch of WiiWare, Twilight Hackers have now made it possible to illegally install downloaded Japanese WiiWare titles on North American Wiis. The below video shows how a WAD installer can be used to extract game data from an SD card and install it to show up on the Wii's Channel Menu, just like a normal, legally downloaded game.

While playing Tetris and Pong on your Wii is one thing, playing pirated WiiWare games is another thing entirely -- a thing that could cost Nintendo a lot of money, to be specific. We have to wonder how long the company can turn a blind eye to this hole in its system security now that it has the potential to impact an extremely profitable part of its business.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/05/japanese-wii-ware-titles-pirated-on-u-s-wiis/

masterchief929
May 6th, 2008, 22:11
thats retarded! so is piracy! wait.... did i just repeat myself?

duffmmann
May 6th, 2008, 22:59
For those readers who just can't wait one more week for the U.S. launch of WiiWare, Twilight Hackers have now made it possible to illegally install downloaded Japanese WiiWare titles on North American Wiis. The below video shows how a WAD installer can be used to extract game data from an SD card and install it to show up on the Wii's Channel Menu, just like a normal, legally downloaded game.

While playing Tetris and Pong on your Wii is one thing, playing pirated WiiWare games is another thing entirely -- a thing that could cost Nintendo a lot of money, to be specific. We have to wonder how long the company can turn a blind eye to this hole in its system security now that it has the potential to impact an extremely profitable part of its business.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/05/japanese-wii-ware-titles-pirated-on-u-s-wiis/

Actually, Nintendo doesn't make much money on the wiiware titles, I just saw an interview, the 3rd party companies make the most money on the wiiware titles as opposed to vc titles where Nintendo makes most the money despite the fact that the game may have been made by sega or whoever because Nintendo is the one that encodes all the vc titles while wiiware is left completely to the developers

as for this news its actually a little old, I even tried it myself a few days ago with Dr. Mario, and while the start up screen loaded, trying to play the game only brought me back to the channel selection screen, I assume my wii isn't updated enough or was confused by the different region channel and just went back

Jay_PaRaDoX
May 7th, 2008, 01:40
Pirated on US Wii's and PAL ones too.

I've installed a few on my PAL console, but they aren't a big deal...

DimensionT
May 7th, 2008, 02:19
So you didn't care about the dangers of removing the time limit from the channels when people had no idea what could happen to them for using 'em... Now you don't care when said channels are going to be made useless when Nintendo decides to paths this? That's nice.

It's going to happen... Hacked channels are based on the same exploits as pirated VC games, and pirated VC games are based on the same exploits as pirated WiiWare games. Fix WiiWare and VC, say goodbye to custom channels.

Jay6
May 7th, 2008, 02:51
I never really got into the homebrew channels... I still have yet to try the WiiWare hack. I may not even do it, or I may. I don't know. I'll just stick to the Twilight Hack.

idapimp
May 7th, 2008, 03:31
that isnt cool

JKKDARK
May 7th, 2008, 11:10
Damn, I hate when it happens. I hope Nintendo can solve this problem soon :(

CoinCollector
May 7th, 2008, 19:08
Ugh, it sounds like they're blaming it on Team Twiizers, but they're completely against piracy!

h2923j42n2
May 7th, 2008, 20:34
Damn, I hate when it happens. I hope Nintendo can solve this problem soon :(

They probably will. Unfortunately, when they do, it will probably also break things like the Homebrew Channel.

linkinworm
May 7th, 2008, 22:30
So you didn't care about the dangers of removing the time limit from the channels when people had no idea what could happen to them for using 'em... Now you don't care when said channels are going to be made useless when Nintendo decides to paths this? That's nice.

It's going to happen... Hacked channels are based on the same exploits as pirated VC games, and pirated VC games are based on the same exploits as pirated WiiWare games. Fix WiiWare and VC, say goodbye to custom channels. ok 1, there might be custom firmware soon and 2 they can "fix" all they like, hackers always win FACT, even the invunerable xbox360 was hacked, not modchips im on about homebrew(linux basicaly) which is the goal of all of this in the 1st place, linux open the hardware to its fullest

DimensionT
May 7th, 2008, 23:18
Neither of those statements really have anything to do with what I said. I know custom firmwares will come, and I follow the PSP scene... So I know how updates go.

All I was saying is that Jay dangerously (possibility) hacked the custom channels and posted them online for all the impatient people to download. Now he's supporting pirated WiiWare by installing it, which Nintendo IS going to fix. Pushing us back into the hole filled with more impatient people waiting for a work around.

Making what he did in the past even more pointless and reckless.