PDA

View Full Version : SDLMame 0.125 on WII - MAME Arcade Games Emulator for Nintendo Wii

nuvalo
May 9th, 2008, 14:10
http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/screenshots/mame1.pnghttp://chui.dcemu.co.uk/screenshots/mame3.png

Here i have another wii-linux distribution, this time with SDLMAME inside , what will let you play all those old arcade machines. I donīt recommend to use the homebrew channel to launch the wii-linux kernel, as it has some problems with NWC24. Apart of that, to use this version of SDLMame for wii you will have to be VERY patient, as it has very high times of loading. Once the rom is loaded, it works all right (85-90% of original speed without frameskip). Here are the downloads and the and the readme for wii (you have the original documents and manual with the binaries):

Download binaries:
http://rapidshare.com/files/113669516/release-wii-sdlmame-full.zip.html

Download sources:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EEABKJDU

SDLMame 0.125 for Wii-linux distro

This is a wii-linux distribution that includes the emulator SDLMAME 0.125
compiled for PowerPC. This emulator is the result of the efforts of the MAME
team MAME. The source code that was used for this distro was taken from the
SDLMame project, kept updated by Olivier Galibert and R. Belmont, and with the
colaborationcon of Sven Gothel, couriersud and Vas Crabb. The original code
can be found here:

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=163

Also, this distribution uses the wii-linux kernel POC 0.4, that can be found
on its original page:

http://www.gc-linux.org

Specifications

This distro uses

- Kernel 2.6.24 (wii-linux POC 0.4)
- 52MB of MEM2 for swap
- 100 MB of swap on the SDCard

How to use
_________
SDLMAME will let you play roms from old arcade systems. Here is the basic configuration,
but it can be change by the user whenever he wants:

CONTROLS
--------
[Grey ANALOG/DIGITAL PAD] Move the characters and handle the menu options
[A] Button 1 / Select a rom
[b] Button 2
[Y] Button 3
[X] Button 4
[L] Button 5
[R] Button 6
[Z] ESCAPE (CANCEL)/(EXIT)
[START] Pause/Options menu
[YELLOW Analog UP] Coin PLAYER 1
[YELLOW Analog DOWN] START PLAYER 1
[YELLOW Analog LEFT] SAVE STATE
[YELLOW Analog RIGHT] LOAD STATE

INSTALLATION

To play with this emulator, you need a Wii homebrew enabled console (Twilight hack or Homebrew Channel).
And you will an SDCard.

To install this version of SDLMame:
- Copy the files "boot.elf" and "mamefs-fs to the root directory of your sdcard.
- Copy the directory mame and its contents to the root directory of your sdcard.
- Create a dyrectory called "mameroms" on the root of your SDCard

To play with this game:
- Insert the SDCard on the front SD adapter of your wii.
- On your wii, execute the file "root.elf" using your favourite method for loading
aplications (Twilight hack or homebrew channel).

KNOWN PROBLEMS
------------

- Loading times VERY HIGH:
- For little roms (2-4MB, CPS1) can take 3-5 minute in loading
- For big roms (13-20MB, CPS2,NEOGEO) It can take 30-60 minutes in loading
After the loading part, it plays at normal speed (85-90% of original speed without
frameskip and without lags)

- No keyboard or wii joystick support
- Problems using TV in 480p or rgb components

Missing things
____

- Add keyboard/wii joystick

Thanks to:

- Olivier Galibert ,R. Belmont,Sven Gothel, couriersud , Vas Crabb and ALL the MAME team
- All the gc-linux team

Download HERE (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/release-wii-sdlmame-full.7z) and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

Baboon
May 9th, 2008, 18:01
Nice release... hopefully those loading times can eventually be improved?

I've only just finished pimping my xbox hard drive out with all the latest mame goodies too. lol

Category
May 9th, 2008, 19:54
Awesome news! I think I'm gonna wait until load times are improved though - with my pc and a hacked old cabinet, i've got a perfectly acceptable way of getting my mame kicks... But the thought of playing from my sofa without changing machines is VERY interesting!

Starscream
May 9th, 2008, 20:44
Judging from what he listed under "missing things", I wouldn't count on improved load times in the future.

It's certainly doable in some way - splitting the programm essentially up like Chui's Mame4all or the PSP editions which different drivers in each package. I don't think SDL Mame has such a long history that he could simply port an older, less memory-consuming version, though I wouldn't mind that at all.
The GC port of Advance Mame 0.83 showed some potential, but is suffering from some issues, like speed and no real sound (load times are bearable).

Sir_Voe
May 9th, 2008, 21:24
Guess it's time for me to get a bigger SD card. The huge mame-fs file doesn't leave me enough space for the 100 mb SD swap. Going out to get one now. The load times won't bother me much, as I mainly play smaller classic games. Will report back.

c4105
May 9th, 2008, 22:03
Anyone got this working?
I'm trying to load small ROMs (like Bubble Bobble sets), these sets work in a Win build of the same version (SDL 0.125). On the Wii, I'm getting an intro-screen, freeze and then a console reset.
"The system is going down... NOW!"
Tried a few others, small Toaplan ROMs. Same.

There's enough room for the Swap on my SD, it's not write protected. I've tried loading the Emu through Hell_Hibou's loader, and as the only boot.elf in the root - same result.

I don't get it.
I'm aware that some ROMs need their BIOS sets, but not the ones I've tested.

Ah well, have probably missed something obvious.
Will wait for others to report back.

@Sir_Voe, any luck?

Sir_Voe
May 10th, 2008, 00:26
No, no luck. Loading via TP hack, I got to the rom selection menu, loaded a small game and waited for about 30 mn, powered down and retried. This time It hung on the initializing screen before the rom selection menu. I ran chkdsk and tried again only to have it freeze at the rom selection menu. I'll probably try again later, and post if I get anything to run.

PeyeRate420
May 10th, 2008, 04:11
http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=xx_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.elotrolado.net%2fwiki%2fEje cuci%25C3%25B3n_de_AdvanceMame_en_Wii

found this while browsing dont know if it will help but thought hey it cant hurt 2 share a related link huh lol

exicution on SD tut.
http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=xx_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.elotrolado.net%2fwiki%2fEje cutar_gc-linux_desde_la_tarjeta_SD

Sir_Voe
May 10th, 2008, 07:15
Well, after repeatedly freezing and hard reseting my Wii, I'm ready to give up. I've never managed to select a rom except the first time it froze after loading. Since then it either freezes at initializing, or freezes at the rom selection menu before I can even move the cursor.

c4105
May 10th, 2008, 13:12
Same. Loads ROMs and resets every time. Tried so many things, given up.

Ah well, it starts, and there is source code. That's a starting point for MAME on the Wii.

Still can't help but think someone somewhere has it working.

nuvalo
May 12th, 2008, 13:51
Hi, sorry for the issues. The "autorreset" bug is caused by the autoframeskip option. I dont know why, but when it is set on the wii, it causes a reset on mame .

Iīm working in a thematic version of mame (like in PSP), that will reduce the loading times. I will take out the drivers and cpus that does not work (CPS2 gives too many problems).

havoc_012
May 13th, 2008, 04:47
Thanks, awesome emulator, Nuvalo.

agenericperson
May 13th, 2008, 20:25
can't get it working. tried small and big roms. it just said "initializing..."

i guess it's a first step but there are three major problems i have with this release.

loading times, getting it to work and the size of the emulator.

thanks. hopefully this will start working sometime soon. wii need mame.

nuvalo
May 13th, 2008, 20:52
I uploaded a new version, that solves pronblems like resets on small roms (bigger ones still might erset the console, but that is another problem) or the savestate. You can download it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EEABKJDU

Sir_Voe
May 13th, 2008, 23:17
The first two times I tried this new version, I was able to access the rom list and attempted to load Double Dragon then The Simpsons. It froze both times. Now I'm back to not getting beyond "initializing..".
Thanks for continuing on this project though. I'm sure it will all be worked out in time.

c4105
May 13th, 2008, 23:39
Thank you Nuvalo! :)

goshogun1
May 14th, 2008, 05:53
First time I was able to acess the rom list, and tried Rastan. It wouldnt start after like 20 mins of waiting so I reset. Now its stuck "initializing", and I can't even get to the rom list. Just the fact that this is being created really makes me happy though. Thank you Navulo! :thumbup:

PeyeRate420
May 15th, 2008, 21:53
got the reset on a few cps2 games but after fining all the CHD files it seem to decrypt load ect just fine its a really nice benchmark in wii homebrew and i feel blessed to have this! thanks navulo!

neogeo123
May 17th, 2008, 03:59
First time I was able to acess the rom list, and tried Rastan. It wouldnt start after like 20 mins of waiting so I reset. Now its stuck "initializing", and I can't even get to the rom list. Just the fact that this is being created really makes me happy though. Thank you Navulo! :thumbup:

same here after trying to load Aliens

Sir_Voe
May 17th, 2008, 04:34
same here after trying to load Aliens

Have you disabled WiiConnect24?

neogeo123
May 17th, 2008, 11:04
Have you disabled WiiConnect24?

I have now, and just like magic, aliens loaded straight away, thank you

psppsp
May 18th, 2008, 22:29
SLowMAME: the most pointless mame in the universe

what is the point in having enabled game support when the loading times are too sick to play any? what's the point in adding new improved features when the core feature (actually being able to get the games to load in a reasonable time) is always missing? this emu might as well have broken everything support for what good it is in its current state - utterly pointless

Skm
June 7th, 2008, 20:21
what the point is?
that i am playing my beloved sichuan2 puzzle game on my wii. and its working great!! thanx a lot!!!!!!!

DimensionT
June 7th, 2008, 21:46
SLowMAME: the most pointless mame in the universe

what is the point in having enabled game support when the loading times are too sick to play any? what's the point in adding new improved features when the core feature (actually being able to get the games to load in a reasonable time) is always missing? this emu might as well have broken everything support for what good it is in its current state - utterly pointless

What's the point of that post?

*To bash a coder that made progress you can't hope to do yourself.
*To make yourself seem like a greedy asshole.
*To request the first release of something free to work perfectly.
*To expect coders to give a rat's ass about comments with negative attitude.
*To try to be funny and fail horribly.
*To make yourself sound more important to the scene then you are.

If you don't like it, go play MAME on your computer and stop being a prick.

scrabbus
June 8th, 2008, 11:18
True DimensionT there is always one lazy fanboy tosspot, who sits on thier arse and spews pathetic criticism at anything positive. Sometimes I just think that there should be a 3 strike rule for all the arsehole fanboys that come in here

rmh3
June 16th, 2008, 05:43
Anyone else having palette issues?

After turning off Wii Connect 24, I was finally able to load and play several roms, but most seemed to have garbled palettes. I tried Mappy, Spy Hunter, Star Castle, Pooyan, Mr Do's Wild Ride and Pengo, and all seemed to have color problems.

Additionally, all but Spy Hunter seemed to play at a nice speed.

cw64
June 17th, 2008, 20:39
I have 77 roms on my card, but only 15 seem to be accessible. Can you scroll the romlist?

PS This is awesome thank you so much :thumbup:

badako
June 18th, 2008, 08:37
Weird, the post I made yesterday disappeared. Is it forbidden to ask for help here ? If it's something bad I've done, then I apologize.

Anyway, I asked for help because each time I launch a game (SegaSonic and DBZ VRVS), I get a warning screen "this game is to be used only in Japan" and then it reboots about 30 seconds later.
Maybe this is because my Wii is PAL and the Rom is a Japanese one, but there should be a way to fix this.

So, I really need help here, I've already spent 2 hours yesterday trying to fix another problem and now there's this... :(

mikebeaver
June 22nd, 2008, 07:36
Any news on how this is progressing?
Has there been another update, is there a compatability thread or a users guide?
Thanks for any info's,

Mike..

Baboon
June 23rd, 2008, 21:03
I got to play with this earlier and I think its defo got potential!

I tried a couple games that don't even work at all on xbox mame and got pretty good results...

Osman - (the excellent game by Mitchell Corporation and Strider's spiritual sequel) loads up fast and plays very well!
Street Fighter - Loads up a bit slow and takes its time introducing the characters - but it works!

I didn't think I'd really try mame on the wii as my xbox pretty much takes care of my arcade needs. lol ...but considering the wii mame has only just been released and already its playing games that my xbox can't (I know its a different/newer version of mame but hey it works! ;)).

Once the emu boots up and initializes quicker, has wavebird and classic controller support, is a little more stable and the gui is sorted out, then this could be a killer app on the wii! :)

Any news on how this is progressing?
Has there been another update, is there a compatability thread or a users guide?
Thanks for any info's,

Mike..
A few weeks ago Nuvalo posted on tehskeen: "And about the promised new release: It will take some time, as iīm working on a wii-linux gui, in order to have a serios distribution, with all the applications and the mame versions on the same distro".

So I guess we've just got to be patient and wait eagerly for the next instalment. :)

folderol4
July 2nd, 2008, 17:33
This emulator is very sensitive to finding my wavebird gamecube controller. I have to have it turned on and hitting buttons while it is loading or when the Mame emulator finishing loading it will not work with my gamecube controller.

I can get the Simpsons and frogger roms to load. Once loaded it drops support of my gamecube controller and I can not do anything. I have to reset my Wii.

WizardOfOdd
July 3rd, 2008, 12:02
I'm just looking forward to being able to play oldies like R-Type and Turtles etc in full speed, not really worried about the later games.

melcrose
August 11th, 2008, 07:06
I'm having GREAT luck since following the instructions earlier in this thread.
I've loaded up a ton of "old school" (small-ish) roms and never had a problem. I'm using the Thrustmaster Wireless GC controller and it works without a hitch.

THE ONLY PROBLEM is that the emu won't recognize more than 15 roms. :(
It simply doesn't see them. :(
It would be perfect if you could "see" directories so you could sort them by "a", "b", etc.

H I N T FOR BETTER PLAY:
Remap Save / load state to your shoulder buttons.
(easy access, frees up the analog for Crazy Climber and Robotron!)

Add coin / player 1 start to your start button.
(When you hit it, game will pause, it will bring up the game menu, a quarter will be dropped and player 1 start will be hit. Scroll down to "return to game" and punch it again to add another quarter, punch start again, and unpause game. This frees up all 4 buttons and the right analog stick)

AMAZING emulator, thanks so much to the author! Hope you can get it to see more than 15 roms, though. :)

madmak55
August 24th, 2008, 19:36
I've turned off WiiConnect24

But still the Roms that load (small) ...usually just reach the first title screen --> then freeze --> then goes back to black screen, your system will now reboot.

I tried this with Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Robocop, and bad dudes vs Ninja

I have a gamecube controller plugged in.

Any suggestions as to how to get past the first screen freeze / Reset problem?

Wiiconnect24 is definately switched off.

melcrose
August 26th, 2008, 22:45
Same thing happened to me, then I downloaded the "lastest" version and had no further problems.

nhusch
August 30th, 2008, 04:43
i have it works like they say it does, but you can use homebrew channel just have to shut off 24 connect, and runs some large games reasonably on speed, just cant seem to get neogeo roms to load.

your sd should be set up like this in the root a folder called mameroms also the mame fs goes in root
and a folder called mame this hold controler setup
a folder called apps and inside apps a folder called mame where you put the elf file and most of the configs

but like i said most games are alright some could use more speed but oh well.

sean.aaron
August 30th, 2008, 08:49
i have it works like they say it does, but you can use homebrew channel just have to shut off 24 connect, and runs some large games reasonably on speed, just cant seem to get neogeo roms to load.

your sd should be set up like this in the root a folder called mameroms also the mame fs goes in root
and a folder called mame this hold controler setup
a folder called apps and inside apps a folder called mame where you put the elf file and most of the configs

but like i said most games are alright some could use more speed but oh well.

Read the mame.ini file for pathnames; I presume you can change settings there and layout your SD card however you like?

melcrose
October 4th, 2008, 22:52
Anyone working on this or know of a different version? On mine, if I have 30 roms, it only sees 15 and seems to randomly choose which 15 are displayed.

Anyone? :)

sean.aaron
October 5th, 2008, 11:50
Last I read on it there's only the one guy working on it; he's got other obligations, so it's slow going. There's really a lot that needs doing in terms of trying to optimise loading (if that's even possible -- the SD card uses the USB bus, from what I understand), a more usable interface without a 15 ROM limit, support for Wiimote and Nunchuk (after playing Block Breaker Deluxe and Geometry Wars I think the back-and-forth sweeping of the Wiimote would make an excellent substitute for dial control for games like Tempest or Arkanoid -- among others) as well as Classic Controller.

If you know anyone with programming skills (I'm only a shell-scripter myself and don't have the setup to program the Wii anyway), rope 'em in!

melcrose
October 5th, 2008, 20:42
Programming?

The last programming I did was on an atari 400 when I was 8. (I'm OLD)

Hope somebody gets going on it, it's really amazing. Heck, I wouldn't change a thing (other than the 15 Rom Limit!) :)

sean.aaron
October 6th, 2008, 07:36
That's good, because I'm hoping that when my Wii gets back from Nintendo (hopefully in the next couple of days), my copies of Gamecube titles Namco Museum 50th Anniversary and Midway Arcade Treasures 1&2 will be redundant...some of those ports are good, but some, well, not so good!

sean.aaron
October 8th, 2008, 00:36
Well, looks like I'm waiting for the next release; I don't know if it's using 480p settings or what, but I couldn't launch Robotron 2084, I mean come on, it's freaking Robotron!

Hopefully we'll see a new release in the near future; in the meantime it's Gamecube port collections for me.

kevenz
October 8th, 2008, 00:50
forget about this emulator for now, it's too slow and buggy...... it's just a "demo" of what a real wiimame emulator could do.

melcrose
October 8th, 2008, 19:19
If, by slow and buggy you mean "perfect and bug-free" .. I agree. :)

Honestly have not had problem one with this emu, other than the 15 Rom limit. True, it may not support all roms (large) .. but the small ones are perfect!

sean.aaron
October 8th, 2008, 20:43
I limited myself to under 1MB ROMs; granted I've only tried one, but the only thing I can think is that it's one of the early issues noted with displaying over component.

Robotron should be pretty basic; I don't see why it won't load, but I've got a raft of proper Wii and Gamecube games not to have to wait to initialise without an option to get back to the main MAME menu when the video hangs meaning I have to do a hard reset on the Wii. I just don't have enough game-time to waste with that.

jbardi
October 14th, 2008, 07:44
The idea behind emulating older systems on newer systems is that they fulfill the following requirements:

1) They are quick and easy to get up and running (turn on and play)

2) They run faster than the original hardware

3) They do not have enough system control to cause instability with the parent system

4) The blast from the past is actually fun and enjoyable!

This fails miserably in every aspect:

1) It is not quick and easy to get up and running, as it sometimes doesn't run at all, tends to have problems with Homebrew Channel and normal Wii options/settings

2) It is not faster, as it takes 5-30 minutes, depending on the size of the game, just to load (if it loads at all)

3) More than 75% of the time, it causes the Wii to lock-up and requires a hard reset

4) By the time you get any game to load without crashing, you are so frustrated, the retro enjoyment is GONE!

Why on earth would I waste my time (even 5 minutes worth) to load PacMan? My Mac Mini loads PacMan in a tenth of a second.

Like I said... the concept is nice, but ultimately it is a failure and a complete waste of time.

sean.aaron
October 14th, 2008, 09:26
Yeah it's a real shame; I think a large part of the problem is it's running via some kind of mini Linux Kernel as opposed to being compiled for the Wii Homebrew environment from scratch. If you could boot straight into Wii linux I bet it would run a lot better.

Ideally you'd want someone to do a native port (well, as native as using the free Wii development tools can be) a la MAME OS X on the Mac, but that would take a lot of time and coding experience.

I'd rather see this than a Homebrew version of Missile Command or Breakout myself.

In the meantime I have Namco Museum Remix, Namco Museum 50th Anniversary (even if the dots in Pacman look like little rectangles!) and Midway Arcade Treasures 1&2+AnyRegionChanger for my classic arcade fix on the Wii.

Baboon
October 14th, 2008, 10:45
If you could boot straight into Wii linux I bet it would run a lot better.

I'm sure the developer of wii mame Nuvalo said that he is currently working on wii linux... which is why wii mame has been put on hold.

sean.aaron
October 14th, 2008, 13:07
I'm sure the developer of wii mame Nuvalo said that he is currently working on wii linux... which is why wii mame has been put on hold.

Cool, that should be interesting and will hopefully mean a lot of other things will be possible, like MAME keyboard support or even USB mice/trackballs -- I've got a wireless Kensington Turbo Mouse that would be awesome to use with Wii MAME.

melcrose
October 17th, 2008, 05:19
Wow, I totally appreciate what you guys are saying, but my experience differs DRAMATICALLY.

Nothing is slow, the roms I load load in.. 60 seconds?
Admittedly, I'm running Crazy Climber I and II, Defender, flying shark (sky shark), etc. BUT IT'S PERFECT!
Never a lock up, never a problem.
I load it, I choose, I'm in it, I play it, I'm done.

FWIW, I'm running component (HD), w/ Wiiconnect24 off.

Hope he does complete his plans on everything, I'd love to see more work put into this.

BUT, to anyone reading this, grab the latest version of this and stick to small roms: a blast to play!

sean.aaron
October 17th, 2008, 07:34
Hmm, something must be different. Is yours a PAL Wii? What firmware version? What video mode setting?

The only ROM I tried launching was Robotron which worked fine on Mac/PC versions of MAME and is very small (less than 100k); I also figured small ROMs would perform well, but nothing happened and relaunching meant a hard reset -- it's a bit time-consuming just for testing purposes.

The SDL-Linux implementation probably made it quicker to port, but I think a native version would be a lot better. Kind of like running MAME OS X versus SDLMAME on Mac.

goshogun1
October 25th, 2008, 07:38
Went back and messed with this emulator. Pretty much most of the roms in my folder of 200 or so worked great. The average time to load games was around 65 seconds. These were all smaller games though, with the largest being 3MB. (macross 2 took 5 mins to load. Played well tho) Pre-93' Namco, Konami, Irem, Taito, and Capcom all worked quite well, minus a few non-working ones just because of special graphics etc. ie: Arabian Fight, Salovou.
I just finished playing Gain Ground, and Eswat. Both worked really nicely Even Simpsons and the TMNT games work well. That alone is awesome. :D

Also, the problem of only having 15 games listed is easy to deal with. Press start while in a game and then select, "select new game". It takes like 30 seconds to load the list of 15 roms the first time. Then, select "return to prior menu." Select the "load new game" option again. Now the list of 15 will appear instantly rather than 30 seconds. But most importantly the list will be completely different compared to the previous 15. You can just keep re-entering the rom list until you find the grouping of roms you want. Real time saver if you want to use this emu.

sean.aaron
October 25th, 2008, 13:42
You try anything not Japanese? I've only tried Williams games so far: Defender and Robotron. Neither one of them will start up; both are extremely small.

What's your setup (tv, wii video settings, etc.)?

Well, another reason I gave up on this. After wasting 10min. just getting the basic app launched, doing something as basic as setting default button settings causes it to crash; happened last time, but I forgot.

Not wasting more time with this until a more stable release comes out (if ever).

melcrose
November 22nd, 2008, 01:14
I'm running USA wii, 3.2U firmware.

I've reconfig'd the buttons, never had a crash.
The only problem I've had is if I push it a bit.. say load a 1mb rom and then flip out and try to load another larger rom.
Otherwise, never a lock, never a crash, never a problem. (and I spend a lot of time in this app) :)

I am running a 4gb SD (not SDHC) card, and those are supposedly much faster, maybe that has something to do with it. (mine was like an 80x I spent 100+ for a few years back)

One other nice tip: Hit walmart, and go to their "crap sold on TV" isle. Pick up the light switch anywhere thing for 15 bux. Plus your wii into it. If it ever locks, just flip the switch, and flip it back on. Way nice. :)

kunsanboog
December 23rd, 2008, 12:36
I have loaded the mame emulator using TP. After it says loading and initializing the menu displays with the first game on the list highlighted in yellow but no matter what button I press I can't get it to scroll up or down the list and no game ever loads? And I do have wiiconnect24 turned off. Any ideas?

Excalibur212
January 25th, 2009, 06:58
Same probem. Every time i've tried to load SMLmame, the Wii remote just loses connectivity as soon as it loads and you can't do anything. You get the list of ROMs, and if you try to press any buttons, the four blue LED's on your Wii remote just flash (what does this mean? I assume it means it's lost the connection). Only thing you can do is reboot your Wii.

I went out and bought Wii Classic Controllers and plugged them into my Wii Remotes thinking that was the issue, but still same problem.

Will someone who supposedly got this working please explain how they did it???

1) What remotes/controllers are you using? Do you need a GameCube controller or something??

2) Do you still need to put mamefs and boot.dol in the root if you have the Homebrew Channel installed, or can you just put them under \apps\sdlmame? No one seems to explain this anywhere...

3) Is SDLmame 0.125 still the latest version? There are 2 versions posted in this thread... Where is it officially maintained, or isn't it? Google just seems to come back to this thread as the only source of this emulator in existence.... I'm starting to think this is all a big prank!

Frustrated,

Thank you.

Sir_Voe
January 25th, 2009, 07:04
Will someone who supposedly got this working please explain how they did it???

1) What remotes/controllers are you using? Do you need a GameCube controller or something??

2) Do you still need to put mamefs and boot.dol in the root if you have the Homebrew Channel installed, or can you just put them under \apps\sdlmame? No one seems to explain this anywhere...

3) Is SDLmame 0.125 still the latest version? There are 2 versions posted in this thread... Where is it officially maintained, or isn't it? Google just seems to come back to this thread as the only source of this emulator in existence.... I'm starting to think this is all a big prank!

Frustrated,

Thank you.

Yeah, you need a GC controller. 0.125 is still the latest version, and it seems to be maintained here: http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48732#post48732

sean.aaron
January 25th, 2009, 18:04
I've never gotten this thing to work and every attempt is 20min. lost, so I feel the frustration Excalibur, I really do. It needs better support than is currently in place, that's for sure.

tts
January 27th, 2009, 05:24
nuvalo, Great work on porting MAME to the Wii! I download the source, and was going to try to compile it myself, but I'm not sure how to get started. I ran a diff on the SDL MAME source and your modified source, and it appears you used a cross compiler. Which cross compiler did you use? The source also referenced sdl-config2. That file was not included in the source, probably because it was part of the SDL package. Do you still have a copy of that file, or do you remember what parameters need to be changed?

Thanks in advance.

- TTS

sean.aaron
January 29th, 2009, 11:52
it seems to be maintained here: http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48732#post48732

Excellent link, cheers! Looks like we can look forward to an update soon that will address a lot of issues, which is outstanding.

slaydezero
February 5th, 2009, 23:26
Hmm... I have tried everything but can not get it to recognize the games. It always says "no games found." I would check the mame.ini as it suggestes if I could find one, but there is not one to be found, I now have 3 directories in EVERY folder on my SD card containing the games: roms, mameroms, mame_roms (to cover the link someone posted saying to use mame_roms and the readme file in the dwnload that refers to "roms".

Help!

sean.aaron
February 6th, 2009, 15:18
Some people have had success, but since the dev has made progress with Stella, I think we'll hopefully be seeing a more usable version of this soon, so best have a little more patience I think.

I personally find the idea of a working Wii MAME to be totally awesome.

Belva
July 29th, 2009, 19:32
Hi I'm new. Installed the updated version of mamewii. After some tweaking for gamecube controller, it worsk.. but heck FRAMERATE IS SOOO SLOW. On games like aliens or altered beast , I mean music stutters. Anyone has suggestions?

Belva
July 29th, 2009, 19:33
Anyone still here?

kevenz
July 30th, 2009, 04:27
forget about mame on the wii for now, it's not really worth it.

Belva
July 30th, 2009, 08:34
aw shit... :(

sean.aaron
July 30th, 2009, 14:40
Well, the original Altered Beast arcade game can be had for 900 points on the European VC (800 in Japan).

Otherwise I'm not sure. I think there's issues with using component video. I'm still hopeful either the original dev will make some much-needed improvements or the fellow that did the ports of Stella and the Atari 8-bit computer emulator (neither of which used GC Linux) will take a stab at this.

Heck, even breaking it up into separate emulators for the various arcade boards would be worthwhile if the quality is there!

Baboon
July 30th, 2009, 15:36
Well, the original Altered Beast arcade game can be had for 900 points on the European VC (800 in Japan).

Heck, even breaking it up into separate emulators for the various arcade boards would be worthwhile if the quality is there!

VC Arcade seems to be the way forward seeing as no devs seem to be even slightly interested in mame for the wii...

On Japan vc arcade they've already got Starblade, Shinboi, Space Harrier, Golden Axe, Ninja Ryukenden (aka shadow warriors/ninja gaiden), Galaga 88, Rolling Thunder etc. :)

Problem is most of my fav aracade titles will probably never get released via the vc store. :( ...I guess until things improve I'll just stick with my xbox1 for perfect mame/neogeo/cp3 etc emulation. lol

Fred1977DK
February 13th, 2010, 16:19
are there any risk of brick by installing SDLMame ?

dilashyaa
February 28th, 2014, 06:06
Game Informer or Nintendo Power? My Game informer magazine just got canceled, and i got Nintendo Power. Should i re-new my old subscription or get Nintendo Power alone?

healthy recipes ~ australia lifestyle ~ life in australia