PDA

View Full Version : A couple of question about the PSP's Dosbox

SpectrumDCE
May 9th, 2008, 16:07
1. Is there a way to make it render on 4:3? That's pretty annoying and pointless to play with a stretched image.

2. Is there a way to make it use frame skipping or something like that? Because Heroes of Might and Magic II works too slow even with no sound at all, and it tries to render all of the frames so the result is a slow-motioned gameplay, so if there's a way to make it play on the normal speed it would work better.

Thanks in advance.

cheater99
May 9th, 2008, 16:25
Hi,
1. To change resolution is dosbox you can change the fullresolution=original in dosbox.conf to a custom resolution, for example it could be fullresolution=480x272 (this is in the first section labelled [SDL] in the dosbox.conf)

2. Yes, it does support frame skipping. In the third section of dosbox.conf called [render] there is an option called frameskip. The default is 1 but you should be able to change this to anything you want (not too high or it will look like lag). Also in the render section there are some options to check/change the aspect ratio, you can try these but apparantly they lag.

Hope this helps,

Angus

SpectrumDCE
May 9th, 2008, 16:55
Thanks, actually I just saw in the windows dosbox config file the frameskipping (at least there it's set to 0), for some reason the PSP's config file is really messed up and not arranged in appropriate lines.

And if I'll put in the value "auto" or something like that, it won't recognize it, right? Because this kind of option would be the ideal as it would adjust by itself the needed amount of frames to skip so it would run at the normal speed.

Oh, and another question.

There is no way the make the PSP's dosbox play all of the sound? In this game particulary I think there is a bit of a problem with some of the sound because at some forum they wrote the midi songs should be read from a CD for some reason, I don't know how it'd apply to the PSP though, but I think it might be that the original DOS version of heroes didn't have all of the songs and the rest was added on the windows port, but I'm don't really think it should be this kind of thing.

Any way, can it even read midis?

cheater99
May 9th, 2008, 22:01
Hi again,
regarding the sound issue, bear in mind that the psps dosbox is still in development and has no-where near the compatibility of the pc version. I myself think it is probably one of those wierd things dosbox does. Heck, i had people saying other people's lines in LBA2, so...

Hope this helps,

Angus