PDA

View Full Version : New Nintendo Wii's - UNMODDABLE!?

MayD2CWii
May 10th, 2008, 10:44
I have just read an entry on Wiki that states the follwing:

As of May 2008, Nintendo has released a new batch of Wii systems with drive chipsets that look identical D2C drives but cannot be modified with any current modchip. The D2CKey team claims that this is due to the removal of a certain drive function on newer revisions of the D2C chipset.

Most older modchips are compatible with the following chipsets: GC2-DMS, GC2R-D2A, GC2-D2B.

Modchips designed for D2C are compatible with the following chipsets: GC2-D2C (excluding certain newer Wii systems)

Does this mean I may end up with a Wii that can't be modded if I buy now?

Can I look for any serial number on the Box, before buying to check if it's a older model?

:( :confused: :eek:

____anders____
May 11th, 2008, 00:26
hmm, there's no serial number on the box that i know of, so according to that article you will get the one you can't mod, but if you buy ZELDA TP you can do all sorts of crazy cool stuff with your wii..

..like having the media player so you can play movies, and many emulators, if you only want to use the modchip to play imported games, then the region-free homebrew app is the thing for you, it look's quite promising and it's already supporting alot of games..

i have the d2ckey modcip, but i found out that the virtual console games are alot more fun, i can't resist getting all the super mario games on my wii;).

samoflak
May 28th, 2008, 00:03
zelda tp + hbc should have you sorted

BlueCrab
May 30th, 2008, 00:21
In all honesty, there's no real use for chipping a wii other than somewhat shady uses.

Sendaii
June 8th, 2008, 15:26
Heh, I'm glad I bought mine at launch, now =)

@BlueCrab: I don't know, there is a lot of homebrew that can be booted from the disc drive, I wouldn't call that shady.