PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto: Ocarina of Time could have been in first-person perspective

wraggster
May 11th, 2008, 18:29
There aren't many gamers who don't harbor fond memories associated with the Nintendo 64's classic adventure (and to many, the greatest installment in the Hyrulian franchise), Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. In addition to its beloved story and incredible visuals, it was a groundbreaking third-person adventure through an intricately detailed fantasy world -- but would we (and Game Rankings) still hold the triforce-hunting adventure in such high regard if we had experienced Hyrule directly through the point-eared protagonist's eyes?

In a recent discussion between Nintendo president Satoru Iwata and revolutionary game developer (and Time's most influential person of 2008) Shigeru Miyamoto, it was outed that Shiggy secretly possesses a penchant for first-person shooters (notably, Rare's seminal N64 shooter Goldeneye), and that he'd considered creating Ocarina of Time using an Oblivion-esque first-person perspective. We're not quite sure how this would have affected the title -- but we're certainly terrified of the prospect of witnessing Darunia's sexy dance of seduction first-hand.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/11/shigeru-ocarina-of-time-could-have-been-in-first-person-perspec/

limming
May 11th, 2008, 20:15
I think it would have been harder to play if it was first person.

Shadowblind
May 11th, 2008, 20:16
sigh. Miyamoto, as much as I respect you, stop saying "I COULD HAVE DONEZ THE FIRST PERSON SHOOTERZ IF I WANTZES TOOZ!" and actually do it. First Halo, and now wishing you'd done LoZ:OOT in FPS style.

Lets face it; I could have taken over Austria, bit I didn't know how. Same thing here.

Don't be a hypocrite, hm? You don't have all too much FPS experience, but i think you could make a darn good one.

mcdougall57
May 11th, 2008, 21:11
ocarina would've been crap in fps style all i ever see is fps's anymore

masterchief929
May 11th, 2008, 21:26
i agree with mcdougall57

JKKDARK
May 11th, 2008, 23:00
Luckily it was released as third-person. I wouldn't like to play this game on first-person.

onetwentyeight
May 12th, 2008, 02:32
i believe he did help out on metroid prime? for fps cred

anyway, the transition from young to adult link would have been alot less dramatic on an fps - access to weapons changes? pov raised slightly?