PDA

View Full Version : USB storage Beta Release

wraggster
May 11th, 2008, 19:58
Sven (http://svenpeter.blogspot.com/2008/05/usb-storage-status.html) one of the most active Wii Hackers has posted this on his site:

I'm currently working on USB mass storage support for the Wii and just wanted to give you an update of my current status.
I've released (again) two or three semi-public betas in #wiidev to be able to test the code with a few more devices and already fixed a few compatibility issues. Most storage devices seems to be working now and there are only a few that fail at the initialization that I still got to fix.
It also looks like I originally just messed up the set configuration request code - even that is now working without any problems.
But there are also some really strange sticks where a mass storage reset request just returns the error code -7004 but still seems to be working. I think that this might be related to some timeout being reached because the following code is working when I add a short delay. This is not a really clean solution but it's working(tm).
The writing part of the code has also been tested and fixed by me and there are only a few minor issues left. However, this update has not been pushed into my git yet but I'll promise that the code will be available soon.
But I think that the code is stable enough now for a really public beta test. I wrote this small application that looks for any USB mass storage devices connected to your Wii and tries to display a file listing of the root folder and creates a file called testtest.txt with the content 'test' there. This code is based on chishm's libfat and wintermute's port to the Wii which does currently not check if the device really contains a FAT filesystems - this means that the usage of ANY DEVICE THAT HAS NOT A FAT FILESYSTEM ON IT WILL RESULT IN DATA CORRUPTION. I'd also recommend you to create a full backup of your data even if you're sure that a FAT filesystem is used because this code is still very untested and might easily corrupt your data. (This did not happen yet but don't say that you haven't been warned by me.)
Even though the application tells you to press A on your Gamecube controller a Wiimote should also worked - but that code is even more untested by me ;)
Please report any error codes here if your device is not working. It would be great if you are able to create a usb log of the device connection on your PC as this would really help me to fix the problems with your stick.
Download usbmss2.elf (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1U91X0XO)
Update: The following version probably fixes some devices that were previously hanging after "LUN #0".
Download usbmss3.elf (http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=OHA6419Q)

Download Above and Give Feedback Via Comments

KristenBaldousor
May 12th, 2008, 00:25
Feedback

Memorex Travel Drive 2Gb FAT32 with 1.8 of used space recoginzed perfectly. Also, was able to to find my wiimote connected and use the B for the confirmation of the device

After, it showed me my device ID and then stopped. It's that all it does??

Still, nice going man, will be looking forward to more of your future releases

linkinworm
May 12th, 2008, 00:48
yea this didnt list anything on my sony walkman. it just said something then it said reset then it went a little wierd because i was useing the homebrewlauncher channel
this need to be run through the TP loader to reset correctly

PeyeRate420
May 12th, 2008, 00:59
is there any chance my external 300 gig HD would work with this? is there a size limit?

KristenBaldousor
May 12th, 2008, 01:33
Give it a try.

As far as I saw, it won't list the content, will only show if the device was connected or not

alsso, make sure it is in FAT32, tried a fat16 format and woldn't bugde, also, didn't found it with NTSC

I run it using the normal homebrew loader way, i mean, not using the homebrew loader, migth try as well using the loader, I already set it

linkinworm
May 12th, 2008, 01:57
is there any chance my external 300 gig HD would work with this? is there a size limit?
try it, it only makes a list on the USB device, this cant be used for anything yet, stuff like this is new to the wii, not like reading from front sd i think its slighly different how it handles to IO devices on the usb

Dbgtgoten
May 12th, 2008, 04:04
Isn't Fat32 have a maximum size of like 4gb or something...? i am confused but this seems nice i just can't wait for more homebrew stuff to come out =)

DPyro
May 12th, 2008, 04:56
Fat32 has a filesize limit of 4gb.

____anders____
May 12th, 2008, 11:19
Fat32 has a filesize limit of 4gb.

and a partition size limit of 30 GB..

this is cool, it can be used for cool stuff in the future:)

justinswood
May 12th, 2008, 14:33
Most external HDD come already formated to FAT32 with one partition (I have a 300 HDD and all 300 is on one partition).

If this is not the case then, you can download a free tool on the net (can't remember the name off hand) that can create a single large size partition of FAT32. A google search should find it.

skedone
May 12th, 2008, 15:30
this is very true i use a 500gig in my media player for my telly and that two is in fat32

PeyeRate420
May 12th, 2008, 19:56
mine external Hd is also fat32 but would have guessed it to have to be fat16 (being its what emulators like eke eke's genisis plus require off a sd) but thanks for clearing things up

LinkinWorm try it, it only makes a list on the USB device, this cant be used for anything yet, stuff like this is new to the wii, not like reading from front sd i think its slighly different how it handles to IO devices on the usb

thanks again bro DCemu is lucky to have a member like you i think wraggy really should make you a moderator for the wii section...you are well spoken and always give educated responses to our querys.. i have tons of respect for that bro! thanx again....

CrAzY_fLiP3
May 24th, 2008, 06:53
is it possible to load the Twilight Hack through this? im deprived of an SD card/usbgecko thing =[

nigolon
May 24th, 2008, 11:46
sweet

tehnoir
May 25th, 2008, 00:28
is it possible to load the Twilight Hack through this? im deprived of an SD card/usbgecko thing =[

How do you intend to load it?

KristenBaldousor
May 26th, 2008, 19:03
How do you intend to load it?

Well, we know have the homebrew channel, might be good to test it there

tehnoir
May 26th, 2008, 20:50
Well, we know have the homebrew channel, might be good to test it there

And how will you install that if you don't have an SD card?

My point was, how do you expect to use homebrew to run the TP hack if you need to run the TP hack to install homebrew?

KristenBaldousor
May 27th, 2008, 07:29
And how will you install that if you don't have an SD card?

My point was, how do you expect to use homebrew to run the TP hack if you need to run the TP hack to install homebrew?

Oh, in that case, you cant. To run homebrew you either need the Gecko USB memory card or a simple SD Card