PDA

View Full Version : Tectoy Dreamcast update

wraggster
May 12th, 2008, 22:14
More interesting news from the guys at insert credit (http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/002333.html)

Fernando has translated the Tectoy blog response to the "what should we release?" poll, in which Dreamcast was the undisputed winner. The company said that a Dreamcast re-release is not currently possible, because the Dreamcast was licensed by Sega, and discontinued years ago. This is an odd thing to say, given that they have the rights to most Sega licenses... But they said they want to re-release it, and hope that a solid showing from fans will help in that regard.

Next, they say they will have some good news for game fans in a short while (I still guess Game Gear). Here's Fernando's take on the Tectoy backpedaling, which I largely agree with: "What I think is that they can't afford it right now. Both Tectoy Master System and Mega Drive are a bit expensive for vintage machines, and a Tectoy Dreamcast would come at about the price of a PS2 in the Brazilian "gray market", which everyone is used to dealing with." So, no Tectoy Dreamcast just yet - but perhaps in a year or so as technology gets cheaper?

JKKDARK
May 12th, 2008, 22:43
I understand, it's because the price. Also I don't know if there are enough Dreamcast fans there.

Blandco
May 14th, 2008, 21:18
Yeah I don't know.

Is the tech *ever* going to get much cheaper though?

It's not like they can create a system like the Genesis on a chip thing.