PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim or Phat - Which Really is King ?

wraggster
May 13th, 2008, 22:55
In the homebrew scene for the PSP we have at this time two contenders the PSP Slim and the PSP Phat, those with both versions which in your opinion is the better version of PSP and Why?

Give your answer via comments

Elven6
May 13th, 2008, 23:03
The slim, just because their is more hardware to work with meaning more capabilites.

The old one was great, but it's time to move on and optimize for the future.

BelmontSlayer
May 13th, 2008, 23:04
I've owned a Phat since launch and it's great. However, when the Slim was released I bought one ASAP. I've been using it since then and haven't touched my Phat. The light weight makes it sooooo much better and the TV out function is awsome if I'm by my laptop.

The only reason I still have my Phat is for the 1.50 kernel and my hopes for the future builds of Daedalus. But I'm sure the hackers will eventually find a way to incorporate it in a custom firmware so DaX's TimeMachine isn't needed.

ian h
May 13th, 2008, 23:14
this is EXACTLY what ive wanted to know for a long time now. im still not sure what homebrew mainly emulators work aswell on the slim as they do on the phat and also the tv out support with the said emulators. and do these emulators run as well on the phat as they do on the slim? i only use 1.5 kernal on my phat so i wouldnt know. its my main reason for not getting a slim although ive been very tempted to get one with the homebrew release of the tv out support for any tv and with full screen

benpwarner
May 13th, 2008, 23:16
the slim is better if you have time machine so you can play a much better version of super nintendo

ian h
May 13th, 2008, 23:20
why can you play a better version of snes 9x? i think you maybe mistaken there mate

and with my previous comment, if any one says why would you want to play a handheld on a big screen? well some people like my self dont have a console and only a psp and theres a cerain satisfaction from playing on a big screen. and in my opinion most psp games should be played on a big screen and not the psp, i think handhelds should be just for arcade games like loco roco, street fighter and the superb tekken on psp, i mean who plays rpg's on lets say a car journey really? how many people agree with me here?

juiceface
May 13th, 2008, 23:37
The phat of course.

But the slim does have 1 up on it, the TV out.. :(

spychacz84
May 14th, 2008, 00:05
skype & TV-Out vs IRda :)
I think slim is better.
That's why i sold my fat and get slim.

Elven6
May 14th, 2008, 00:22
skype & TV-Out vs IRda :)
I think slim is better.
That's why i sold my fat and get slim.

IR was a weird feature to take out, it barley took up any room in the system itself and had potential.

The Hombrew Hunter
May 14th, 2008, 00:22
Phat.

The slim is just another gimmick. TV out is fine, but why? It was made to be portable because it's supposed to be portable.

It'd be nice to not need that rubber band and coin setup to stop the analog stick, though...

Hope Dad can fix it.

Besides, I scored the phat for 25 dollars so, win.

pspmodel1001
May 14th, 2008, 00:43
For me, it would be the slim. But I'm stuck with my Phat which I still love.:thumbup:

acn010
May 14th, 2008, 00:55
slim... im modding my phat to be better.... which is cool case i use both

MrMuzz
May 14th, 2008, 01:06
I like the slim's innards better but, only the version 1 motherboard so battery conversions can be done as the V2 and V3 motherboards have no current means convert the battery (I will not get rid of the v1 Slim, have had TA-79 and TA-82 phats and sold them both). I do prefer the PSP Phat's feeling of being more durable. TV out is cool if you have an auto-formatting TV that will make the output full screen. I use the TV out sometimes however I still prefer the screen in hand. The FUSA plugin seems quite promising if the dev keeps working on it for fullscreen fun

I never used my IR port on the phat 'cept with the keyboard and PSP-SSH, that was pretty cool but who wants to ALSO carry a folding keyboard??

So, I guess you can say I prefer the Slim and other than lack of IR support with the Time Machine hybrid firmware regarding software support why wouldn't anyone? The main drag for me is it feels cheaper than the original, plastic slightly more pliable (SP?), and the UMD door is pretty cheesey but being cheesey there are less mechanical parts to break.

Again, I still say the Slim, and I'll shut up now.

Oh, did I say...I like the slim

mike03$$$
May 14th, 2008, 01:14
i own a phat and i like it alot but for some reason on the slim the xmb runs quite a bit faster (borrowed a friends) but i like the fat better due to the irda port like when i dont feel like finding a remote i just turn off tv with my psp and messing with kids on ps2

mike_jmg
May 14th, 2008, 01:48
I don't know, I really like my phat psp, I mean, I'm really used to it being kind of heavy and fat. The slim feels a bit flimsy and cheap but it has more ram wich really helps on some things (on the xmb and I think browsing the net). i'm planing to buy a GOW PSP bundle once it comes out but I don't want to forget about my fatty and give it to my brothers

I guess I'll have to do that anyway :(
mehh, mine will have Kratos on the battery cover :p

Broadus
May 14th, 2008, 02:39
Um... Obviously the slim because it was designed to be better in every way anyway? More memory, less battery hogging and video out capabilities don't exist on the phat. I'd still like to play PSP games on my big TV, just for the heck of it.
All the phat really has on the slim, if you don't take into consideration price or age or anything superficial like that, is that the phat supports more homebrew thanks to the 1.5 kernel.

Who comes up with these questions, anyway?

osgeld
May 14th, 2008, 03:24
slim for

extra ram
tv out

phat for

better construction
ir port (since sony wont give us a effin keyboard)
better components (screen battery ect)
history

Who comes up with these questions, anyway?

ever hear of 10,000 monkeys @ 10,000 typewriters writing shakespere (or something along those lines)

well dcemu only has 5 monkeys working part time at shared computers :)

mungrin
May 14th, 2008, 04:34
Um is it just me or does the Slim own the Phat in almost everyway?? First off they redesign the contraol pad so it feels way better and easier to play fighting games and such.Next,its lighter,the screen is better and brighter,TV out,Skype.I can play just about all the emulatoras i used on PHat.My Sne Emu on my SLim is better than the one i had on my phat.UMD cache.More ram.Also the battery seams like it last forever in my Slim and charges really quick as well.

It just feels better to me.

Just my opinion,i still use my phat but pfrer my slim.

Art
May 14th, 2008, 06:46
Phat all the way.
I thought about getting a slim, but when I saw it up close in a shop,
it actually looked like a cheap PSP knock off rather than a real PSP.

jamotto
May 14th, 2008, 06:53
I prefer the Phat, Sony sacrificed build quality too much for the sake of cutting costs.

noname1
May 14th, 2008, 07:06
Slim is much better because it is so small it haves extra ram and a tv-output.
But not all homebrew is made for the slim it does not support 1.5.
That's a shame but there's always a e-loader ;)

P.S my english isn't very good.

Aryn
May 14th, 2008, 07:37
Phat.

The Slim has lower compatibility with homebrew, and no IR which means no use of a PDA keyboard, as well as fewer accessories. The only thing it has that the Phat does not is more RAM to work with and only one or two programs (that I know of) actually utilize it. The Phat can have TV Out as well, if you purchase and install the PSP2TV addon. It is not any more difficult than replacing the analog stick or screen (both of which I managed to replace with no real hassle). Of course, the PSP's screen is so big that a TV Out feature is notr eally necessary unless you happen to own an extra large high definition TV, which is still quite uncommon.

I recently broke my Phat PSP and purchased a Slim to replace it, and I have been regretting it ever since. I may shell out the money for a Phat again in the near future.

alanparker05
May 14th, 2008, 14:46
TIME MACHINE!!! The 1.50 kernel was the only advantage the phat had but now thats gone the slim is lighter, thinner and has better hardware and capabilities if you want to give up all that just for irda you really must like changing tv channels

babyboi828
May 14th, 2008, 17:23
Phat.

It'd be nice to not need that rubber band and coin setup to stop the analog stick, though...

Hope Dad can fix it.

what?? lol anyway if there was a mod to put an IRda on the slim omg the fat wouldnt have a chance :thumbup:

Cloudhunter
May 14th, 2008, 17:58
Owned both, prefer Slim. Build quality is absolutely fine, feels like the real deal to me. Lighter is a plus when playing laid down (which I do quite alot). No IR port is a shame, but it can be lived without.Especially when Sony bring out their own keyboard for the PSP :D

As for homebrew support, not come across one thing which can't run that hasn't been updated.Also, source is available for most things. And if it isn't - Time Machine :D

Cloudy

dangee
May 14th, 2008, 18:33
slim: chic
phat: geek

but fashion costs;
$(slim) = $(phat+phat)

babyboi828
May 14th, 2008, 19:13
anyone find a slim ir mod?

Rocksil
May 14th, 2008, 19:48
slim is better really with the more inbuilt like tv out and more memory its just better. Snespsp works so much better on slim and espically when you put it on full screen with the slim it runs smooth and crappy slow frameskipping but with phat i can play full screen with certain roms :| but anyway i only own a phat but i got acess to a slim aswell and tbh i really prefer my phat lol just that i go way way back with my psp since 2005 :P

fpcreator2000
May 14th, 2008, 19:59
I love my CF 3.90 Slim with the TV out and the 64MB of RAM, but without the PSP Phat there would be no homebrew Slim (at least not for a while). This make the vote that much harder. I also owned the Phat since two months after release, and this being the 5th replacement.

The phat is much easier to homebrew. Also the phat is capable of playing 1.50-designed homebrew.

The Slim is getting conversions from all 1.50 homebrew, also most new homebrew is being developed with 3.xx compatibility in mind (making it cross compatible with both Phat and Slim.

I will have to go with the Slim because of the TV-out built in, and the 64MB of ram. The d-pad has significantly improved in the second iteration of the PSP, making fighting games more enjoyable, and less "I should press the buttons in a certain way because the d-pad sucks for fighting games", or the I wish I had the d-pad addon from Capcom.

This and the fact that the 2200ahm battery of the Phat nearly double the battery life of the Slim, where on the Slim this increases to 20%.

Weighing in all of these factors, I'm going with PSP Slim, not forgetting that the Phat made this all possible.

The Hombrew Hunter
May 14th, 2008, 20:28
what?? lol anyway if there was a mod to put an IRda on the slim omg the fat wouldnt have a chance :thumbup:

My analog stick is busted. It always moves up-left.

So I have some rubber bands and coins over a pressure point that almost stops it.

I need to buy a new stick from Divineo.

wiggy fuzz
May 14th, 2008, 20:41
tried the slim. traded it for a phat and a 4GB memory card and tekken DR. didn't like the build quality of the slim, felt plasticky... and had a rubbish UMD door.

buttons feel the same as the phat - same rubbish analogue thing

the phat feels much heavier, i've dropped it a few times and nothing's happened. much better build quality, just the battery door doesn't fit on totally, it feels like it's digging into my fingers.

the slim was good, but too light and too papery...

the phat was too heavy, but felt much more solid. i'm buying a psp slim, though, because i'm thinking for the future. the phat can strain my handsafter a while because of its weight and i think that's the deal breaker here. plus my phat has some dead pixels - not stuck.

Sterist
May 14th, 2008, 22:37
I prefer the Phat, Sony sacrificed build quality too much for the sake of cutting costs.

strongly agreed.

regarding an earlier post here:

Skype is NOT a slim only function. came out on phat first, matter of fact. thanks fanjita! :)

Veskgar
May 15th, 2008, 02:03
The Slim is by far the better way to go. Mine isn't so light because I have the extended battery with enlarged battery cover. I just have to voice my preference and that is for the Slim.

mungrin
May 15th, 2008, 02:44
I cant play fighting games on the Phat anymore.So much easier to do moves on the Slim.

HexenDarkside
May 16th, 2008, 06:47
The Original PSP is the superior system. The trend of re-releasing a system just smaller always gets on my nerves... I like a system with more mass to it. Also, it seems the slim took away some of the originals home brew (some started developing it especially for the slim) so I like it even less.

Art
May 16th, 2008, 09:13
but fashion costs;
$(slim) = $(phat+phat)
In terms of manufacture cost it's closer to the other way round.

Sony are never really going to be able to make much use of the extra RAM for anything more than firmware features
since licensed games still have to work on the fat.
Even the UMD cache option is useless to most homebrewers using Memory Sticks.

Panini
May 16th, 2008, 09:47
I really don't see the point in the slim psp? lol

Phat all the way! :)

In terms of manufacture cost it's closer to the other way round.

Sony are never really going to be able to make much use of the extra RAM for anything more than firmware features
since licensed games still have to work on the fat.
Even the UMD cache option is useless to most homebrewers using Memory Sticks.

Good points!
:thumbup:

andwhyisit
May 17th, 2008, 03:57
..i think handhelds should be just for arcade games like loco roco, street fighter and the superb tekken on psp, i mean who plays rpg's on lets say a car journey really
I do.

Haisook
February 25th, 2009, 10:50
I owned a phat, and then upgraded to a slim. I'd say the phat is much much better. It's the true Sony PSP. The slim is like a cheap rip-off. Extremely flimsy, poorly manufactured, and the parts are very movable while you play. Very annoying.

Companies produce upgrades to cut down the costs and so get more profit. That's what the slim is all about. Only a cheaper model with some gimmicks, how could it better? I should've known that. :(

jxx2005
February 26th, 2009, 17:17
only reason i'd rather the slim is for the extra ram, and maybe tv out
i like how easy it is to put CFW on the phat

Jinx1337
February 27th, 2009, 00:14
Had a Phat, japanese imported PSP-1000 white model for 2-3 years straight.

Hell, it came with 1.0 fw originally, heh! No kxploit, no "signed" homebrew.

Long story short, I sold it to my friend and bought a black Slim this December.

I don't ever want to go back now! Slim is just SO MUCH better for me -

1) Fighters. I can't rest a day without training some Garou, Kof98/2002, Samurai Shodowns on emus or Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Double Upper Max.

They're IMPOSSIBLE to play on Phat.

2) Exult PSP. Ultima 7: The Black Gate + Serpent Isle. ( http://www.thefoodsucks.com ). It uses Slim's additional mem. and doesn't crash like the Phat does. Amazing RPG ported to PSP.

3) Brighness - Slim's backlight is so much brighter, and with plugins like HOLD+ or CwCheat, you can unlock the hidden 4th brightness which burns your eyes.

4) It's freaking lighter. Ever watched a movie on your PSP or read a comicbook/manga while laying on your back? Yup. It's THAT much better.

But - each to his own I guess.