PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 User, New to Scene, Needs Advice..

MilesBergz
May 14th, 2008, 06:33
Hi There,

I am new to the PSP homebrew scene, and it's a bit more complicated than the NDS homebrews.

I have read alot of posts and information regarding the different options I have as to customizing my PSP to better operate homebrew,etc.. but I need some clarification, please..

My PSP is currently running 2.0 firmware, and I do not believe it has the TA-082+ motherboard. I understand the 1.5 firmware is one of the most desirable firmwares for homebrew, but some of the information I have been reading seems to be out of date? I know that it is easy to downgrade with the TIFF Exploit, but is that my best option?

Will I need a Pandora's Battery and/or Magic Memory stick still? Should I use Dark_Alex's TimeMachine? Should I just keep it 2.0 and use the eLoader?

3x 1GB Sony Duo Pro Memory Sticks are coming to me in the mail. I am assuming I will need to format them. Any special process? I hope to use each stick for a different function (emus, music, movies).. If I get the hang of things, I will probably get a larger chip. Does the MicroSDHC adapters work well with PSP homebrew?

I am most interested in running Emu's for the NES, SNES, and PSX.. would be nice to run UMD and ISO files, as well.. but which firmware version and/or route of options should I take to make it the most compatible?

I just want to make sure my information is up to date so I don't have to re-doing my customization all over again. Any links provided would be great, I can do the reading..

So if it was YOUR PSP, what route would you take it to make it run the most effectively?

Thank you in advance,
Sorry for being a n00b.

-Milez

Wally
May 14th, 2008, 07:47
Best idea would be to downgrade to 1.5 after updating to 2.80 then use the 3.52 M33 installer and then the 3.90 M33 installer.

Hopefully this will get you off your feet, you could also use the MPH downgrader but its got some scary things that you have to watch out for (BSOD at the end of the downgrade, errors etc)
Wally

P.S im suprised that there are some 2.0 users around still :)

MilesBergz
May 14th, 2008, 14:08
Thanks for the swift reply..

I am only a 2.0 user because this is a pretty old, hardly been played, PSP I got on a trade with a friend..

What are the advantages of upgrading before downgrading? I am assuming it has something to do with Kernels and/or compatibility issues if I were to not upgrade before downgrading.. right?

Also.. what are the M33 installers? I haven't read much info on firmwares/PSP homebrew for systems running 3.0 and up, and/or the M33 types.. I had assumed that since that was all applicable to newer PSPs with newer firmwares, I wouldn't really be needing them.. however, I am mistaken.

Im also guessing this is to increase compatibility and make the PSP more adaptable to newer homebrew programs that came out more recently.. right?

Bricking my PSP kinda scares me.. but I hear it's fixable now with Pandora.. either way I was hoping to find an FAQ and/or Walkthrough (with links) that isn't from 2006.. most of the newer/recent stuff is so cluttered and jumbled with all the firmwares, it get's confusing.

Once I have the basic stuff installed, I think I will be able to figure it out from there.. it just seems like the old method 'fiddle with it until it works' increases the chances of bricking the PSP.. that's why I am asking questions first :D

Again, Thanks in advance to all who reply.

-Milez

MilesBergz
May 15th, 2008, 07:01
After a few more hours of reading, I think I understand..

I will upgrade to 2.80, as it is the last available firmware that doesn't require GTA in order to make your PSP homebrew enabled..

Then from 2.80, I will downgrade to 1.50 as it has the capability of running the M33 loaders..

With the M33 Loader 3.52 installed, I will be able to upgrade to the M33 Loader 3.90.. and then I will be very current, both with my capability to run new stuff and old.

I am curious though.. what type of GUI/program do I use to navigate through my Memory Sticks? Is it the HEN-D ?

This seems to be the safest route without ruining the PSP.. thanks for the help.