PDA

View Full Version : Squarez v0.8.2 Beta 24

wraggster
September 26th, 2005, 02:19
Globware (http://www.globware.com/psphomebrew_wifijukebox.php) have updated their awesome game for the PSP, heres the info:

I'm creating a public beta for v0.8.2 of Squarez to help test the new multiplayer features.

New Features from v0.8.1 to v0.8.2
* Control Layout options. In this beta, DO NOT use the L1 key and DO NOT change R1 keys. They are currently being used internally.
* Updated pause menus.
* USB Mode - allows you to connect to your PC and transfer new themes, backgrounds etc. Make sure you press Triangle to re-load squarez data if you add new Squarez related data.
* Added Multiplayer using IR port and WIFI Access Port (infrastructure mode)
* Features True collision detection for sprites which are not squares.

More information and Download Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/squarez.shtml

Jacktimus_Prime
September 26th, 2005, 05:36
Can this WI-fi/ IR multiplayer technique be applied to, say, those roms that encorporate multiplayer action?

Tweak420
September 26th, 2005, 06:46
I was just comin to ask that same question. I think it could if this is open source but i'm not positive. If it can I hope the devs of the emulators jump on it and implement it in their next release

Psyberjock
September 26th, 2005, 13:47
Found some bugs!!

PSP v1.0 Cannot find Static WiFi Profile but PSP v1.5 can.

Also, IR game doesn't work between 1.0 and 1.5. (don't know about wifi between the two cause 1.0 can't find the profile) It starts up the game but gets lots of CRC errors when trying to swap data through the IR port.

Help me please! I want to play Squarez on my PSPs!

Psyberjock
September 26th, 2005, 13:49
Also, if anyone reads this from the Globware site, please resend my activation email as my hotmail account was blocking all unknown email addresses at the time of registration. Thus preventing me from posting bug reports on your website. Also, I apologize to DCEmu for posting this on their forums, but Globware seems to have no other way of contacting them other than in the forums and I really don't want to have two name. Sorry!!!

FrozenIpaq
September 27th, 2005, 00:29
Also, if anyone reads this from the Globware site, please resend my activation email as my hotmail account was blocking all unknown email addresses at the time of registration. Thus preventing me from posting bug reports on your website. Also, I apologize to DCEmu for posting this on their forums, but Globware seems to have no other way of contacting them other than in the forums and I really don't want to have two name. Sorry!!!

I've contacted Socals to look at this thread and hopefully he will ;) I believe he has noticed your error in the game and will now take this into consideration, about your account, I'm not sure about how the progress of that is

Psyberjock
September 27th, 2005, 00:59
Wow, that was prompt! Thanks!

Giga Phil
September 27th, 2005, 03:45
Yeah well Ipaq loves this game too much ;)

socals
September 30th, 2005, 02:35
Found some bugs!!

PSP v1.0 Cannot find Static WiFi Profile but PSP v1.5 can.

Also, IR game doesn't work between 1.0 and 1.5. (don't know about wifi between the two cause 1.0 can't find the profile) It starts up the game but gets lots of CRC errors when trying to swap data through the IR port.

Help me please! I want to play Squarez on my PSPs!

I myself don't have a v1.0 PSP, or know anyone either so I didn't know it even ran on 1.0 :)

Have you ever tried wifi example 2 by PspPet or FTPD? If either of these programs works for you, then it should work for Squarez, or we atleast have a chance of getting it to work. If you cannot get either of those programs to work then mine won't also, since I used PspPet's connection picker from his wifi example 2.

As for the IR ports, if your a developer yourself and can compile the IR test program from the PSPSDK then you can test to see if that example works on 1.0 and 1.5 since that is where I learned to program for the IR port.

Sometimes it takes some practice getting the IR ports aligned correctly. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to align them but you would be surprised. If they are slightly off, then it can produce lots of bad data (bad CRC's). Try them on a flat surface like a table at first. Since the ports won't line up with the PSPs head to head, you need to ofcouse offset them to get the ports to line up straight. (i'm sure you've done this already, so hopefully the PSPSDK IR test program will help us figure this out)

BTW: I just resent your activation, if you still have any problems post them here and i'll just setup your access manually.

Psyberjock
October 1st, 2005, 01:13
Sorry for the late reply. Been busy at work and unfortunatly I only have a few minutes now or I'd sit down and figure out the IR program you're speaking of. I'm not a developer per se. (I only took 1 semester of C++ in University) :o But I can do basic editing and follow functions, classes, objects, etc. So I think we could get something rolling on my bug squashing. I think tonight or Sunday evening I can do something (Japan time).

I can use FTPD and until the most recent build, I could use PSP Radio. (No problems with FTPD, I use it often.) With PSP Radio it seems that there was no problem until the program wanted to ask me which profile to use instead of automatically selecting the first one found. I asked myself (being a curious creature) why? I think perhaps the main difference between 1.0 and 1.5 (in this regard) is having to deal with languages. v 1.0 only has 2 languages and Japanese is the primary. 1.50 has the European languages added in (English being the primary) and though I am only speculating, this is one of the causes. I say this because the new version of PSP Radio attempts to display the name of the wifi connection and it only shows me a bit of garbled data. I tried changing the name of the connection to "1" and it gives me the exact same peice of garbled data for a name, so I think there is some problem with where it is looking for the name of the profile.

Which brings me back around to Squarez. It askes me which profile to load and that causes me a problem.

Heh heh, I was actually planning on posting this PSP Radio bug right now, I think I'll copy and paste it for them. Make things easy on myself. Sorry for the delay and thank you for the reply.

Psyberjock
October 1st, 2005, 15:58
Well I just ran some tests and I have some very conclusive data.

My problem, and probably others', lies within the language and character page set.

On my 1.0, which previously did not work, I deleted my only connection profile (it was static and named "1") and recreated it with the exact same settings but this time I left the default "Connection 1" name. This time the PSP will find the profile and connect, but I still can't figure out how to actually carry out a game. This problem is probably just my infamiliarity with the game and not so much a profile problem.

I have encountered this problem with windows and some programs as well. The problem lies within the language character sets. The PSP has the ability to type in Japanese as well as English. This is not new information nor is it surprising that even the US PSPs carry the Japanese character set.

The problem that we encounter is that the Japanese character set contains English characters as well as Japanese characters. Keep reading for a better explanation of this.

The PSPs handle these languages and language sets differently depending on the firmware version and the language selected. On a 1.50 PSP you can only type in the language character set of the language that you have selected. But on the 1.0 PSP you can type in the Japanese character set even if you have the English language selected.

On a 1.0 PSP at any time (while inputing text) you can select 1 of 2 Japanese character sets (by pressing "select"), Hiragana or Katakana; 1 of 2 English character sets (wide and thin); or numbers. This seems all good and handy, especially if you live in Japan. But like a computer and the M$ Global IME, one of the English character sets is treated as part of the Japanese character set, escape codes and all.

This was my problem. My original profile name was typed using the Japanese character set's version of the English alphabet. *When I renamed it I simply replaced the text with numbers but the escape code format remained. (*bit of theorizing involved here)

I'm a bit drunk and I'm getting tired so I'll stop explaining and just give a simple fix.

If you have a 1.0, remake your profile and leave the default name to ensure that the profile will work. If you want to mess around and see if you can figure out which character set works, go for it but know that it will work if you leave it at default.

For a 1.50, make sure you have your language set to English and nothing else, then remake your profile. *leaving it at default will ensure compatiblilty but with the language set to English you should be able to rename it.

I just posted this message in an almost identical format and content on the PSP Radio page cause they were having similar problems. Luckily it works for both programs. Isn't it nice when we can all come together and solve our problems as a team? Heh heh, peace rules. (sorry, I'm drunk.)