PDA

View Full Version : Altair costume unlockable in MGS4

Shrygue
May 14th, 2008, 20:56
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=140440)

Metal Gear Solid 4 will have an unlockable Altair costume in it after all.

Originally shown in a video released on April Fools Day, the Assassin's Creed character model will actually be in the game when it ships on 12th June worldwide.

How you unlock it is a mystery being kept by those to whom the secret was revealed in Tokyo this week, but it's not the only bizarre collaboration in MGS4.

According to GameSpot's account of the MGS4 wrap party, Snake also has an iPod in-game, which lets him play music he collects, with additional tracks set to be offered as DLC.

There's also a lot of raw product placement, like Triumph motorbikes, Sony Ericsson mobile phones and even some real-life clothing.

This being a Hideo Kojima production, and this being the last in the MGS series (at least until they change their minds again), goodness knows what else we'll discover - Psycho Mantis doing horoscopes, perhaps, or a radio contact who doesn't want you to lie on your tits in a warzone having existential discussions about soldiering.

We'll have to wait and see. The full game's out on PS3 on 12th June and we'll have a review for you very soon. In the meantime, check out our hands-on impressions of the finished game, which Oli was lucky enough to play in its entirety.

jamotto
May 15th, 2008, 05:42
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=140440)

Snake also has an iPod in-game, which lets him play music he collects, with additional tracks set to be offered as DLC.

There's also a lot of raw product placement, like Triumph motorbikes, Sony Ericsson mobile phones and even some real-life clothing.

Sigh, they had to ruin the game.

Napalm-Death
May 15th, 2008, 12:55
Sigh, they had to ruin the game.

Have you seen the screenshots from the game? It's not as if they're throwing the advertisements directly at you.

jamotto
May 15th, 2008, 16:36
Will have to wait and see, however I suspect that the product placements will be more obvious than in the current batch of screen shots. If no one notices the product placements then they do no good, besides all previous games have had no advertisements why can't the last installment go untainted? Do they really think the game is not going to turn a profit on its own?

Accordion
May 15th, 2008, 16:59
Will have to wait and see, however I suspect that the product placements will be more obvious than in the current batch of screen shots. If no one notices the product placements then they do no good, besides all previous games have had no advertisements why can't the last installment go untainted? Do they really think the game is not going to turn a profit on its own?

Dont remember Calorie Mate, Kerotan Frogs and instant noodles from MGS3 then, those were all real products and i believe there was a Calorie Mate advisement featuring Snake in Japanese television.
Metal gear, and ZOE models were also in Granins office, and real life gaming magazines feature on a table.

MGS2 featured several references to other Konami games, including ZOE.

Not to mention many references to movies and plenty of barely dressed models from magazines such as FHM.

I dont know what can be more obvious than using Calorie mate to regain stamina, and hunting Kerotan Frog. If you missed those, i dont think seeing people wearing clothes, riding motorbikes and using mobile phones will affect your gameplay experience too much.

jamotto
May 15th, 2008, 17:41
If you missed those, i dont think seeing people wearing clothes, riding motorbikes and using mobile phones will affect your gameplay experience too much.

Never got a chance to play Snake Eater, the last MGS game I played you still used a "ration". Thanks for informing the uninformed. :cool:

Accordion
May 15th, 2008, 17:55
You really should, fro what i can tell MGS4 builds upon the no-radar, stamina effects and camouflage that features in MGS3. Great game, baroque bliss.

F9zDark
May 15th, 2008, 17:58
Dont remember Calorie Mate, Kerotan Frogs and instant noodles from MGS3 then, those were all real products and i believe there was a Calorie Mate advisement featuring Snake in Japanese television.
Metal gear, and ZOE models were also in Granins office, and real life gaming magazines feature on a table.

I have a Calorie Mate box sitting on my shelf. They are actually pretty good. One of the benefits of living in the shadow of NYC, there is an all Japanese mall 20 minutes from my house. :D

But yes, the MGS series has long been a game series that ties real world events, places, culturally significant ideals into the game world. It makes it seem more real.

In fact, the biggest tie in into our movie culture is Iroquois Pliskin, from MGS2. As well as Snake's "redesign". Escape from NY anyone?