PDA

View Full Version : Kim "confident" 360 will last 7 years

Shrygue
May 14th, 2008, 20:58
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188943)

Microsoft is "confident" that the Xbox 360 will live out at least a 7 year life-span, accommodating all three games in the Too Human trilogy, Microsoft Game Studios boss Shane Kim told CVG.

Speaking at the Microsoft spring media summit in San Francisco, Kim said it was the plan from the beginning that the 360 had a "long tail".

"We said from the beginning that we expect the Xbox 360 to have a long tail," he said. "Clearly we didn't do that with the original Xbox, which was a strategic decision we made. Admittedly, we don't have any experience doing this, but we're pretty confident 360 will have a long tail."

Sony has already gone on record that it has a "ten year plan" for the PS3, so it's not entirely surprising that Microsoft is also planning for the long haul with Xbox 360.

When quizzed on what this means for the Xbox 360 hardware, which will probably start to age down the line without a hi-def disc format and mandatory hard drive, Kim said Microsoft would continue to tinker with technology.

"You're going to continue to see technical innovation, it might be additional capabilities to the current format - but honestly we haven't made those kind of decisions yet.

"As far as technical limitations? We're not seeing those. I think there's the potential for more multi-disc titles, we've already shipped a few of those already. But I don't think this is so drastic that people will start saying that Microsoft missed a trick with not using Blu-ray. I just don't believe that.

"What we've been able to see with the vast majority of titles on Xbox 360, is the range of experiences that haven't been restricted with the lack of a hard drive and a larger capacity disc."

Hit this link (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188949) for the full interview.

royvedas
May 14th, 2008, 21:23
No - I don't want multidisc games. Its annoying as hell. Fix it with a new revision with a blueray drive - NOW!