PDA

View Full Version : Is Sony losing 260 USD on every PS3 it ships?

wraggster
May 14th, 2008, 23:06
Sony's gaming arm lost around $1.2 billion last year - an impovement from the $2.2bn loss the year before. But is Sony losing $260 per PS3?

"On Sony's own figures, the games division made a loss of $130 for each PlayStation 3 shipped. Let's assume that it's making pots of money on the PSP and the PlayStation 2: the PS2 is now hugely profitable and still sells more games than anything else. These two platforms could easily have made a profit of $1.2bn in the year. In that case, the total PS3 loss would have been $2.4bn shared between 9.24m PS3 consoles, or $260 per PS3 -- including any attached Sony games."

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2008/05/14/is_sony_losing_260_on_every_ps3_it_ships.html

ketchup
May 15th, 2008, 08:01
I guess that is an average of $130 per console, as the loss per unit in Europe is certainly a lot less than in the USA.
Even in Finland it costs around £78 more than in the UK, (5% higher VAT in Finland doesn't count for much of this difference). I daren't even calculate the cost hike from USA prices to Finland's. I bet they don't make much if any loss at all here in Santa's land.

wiggy fuzz
May 15th, 2008, 09:00
it's the gamecube's kamikaze sales tactics all over again.

how long can sony keep flogging the ps2?i t's like a dead horse and anybody else would have ended the system already (i don't think nintendo make or sell any more gameboy advances, even though they are still popular)

lmtlmt
May 15th, 2008, 09:24
lmao @ your logic, the ps2 is not dead, they are still developing games for it, very good games.