PDA

View Full Version : I wanto to buy my first Dreamcast!

NoBonus
September 26th, 2005, 20:21
Okay, I have $65 total to spend on a Dreamcast system setup. I have been trying eBay, but lost in the last 5 seconds twice. Here are my questions:

How do I know if a Dreamcast will play CDRs? (pre-Oct 2000)
I want a minimum of two controllers, what else should I shoot for? VMUs? Memory? Other accesories?
Are there any sources other than eBay to buy cheap dreamcasts?
Is there anything else I should look for or avoid when searching for a Dreamcast?

Thanks!

NoBonus

fackue
September 26th, 2005, 22:26
Right, if it's before (I believe the dates correct) October 2000, then it should play fine. Try to avoid the Dreamcast that are a revision 2 (number in a circle on the bottom on the Dreamcast) as those were the revisions that began to not play CD-Rs.

I recommend going to Dreamcast Pawnshop (http://forums.dcpawnshop.com) if you can't find any thing you want on eBay. There's probably a few people how have what you're looking for over there.

I also recommend getting a couple VMU (or even those mega block cards) cause you will definately want to save your games. The Dreamcast doesn't have any internal memory to save to like the N64 did.

NoBonus
September 26th, 2005, 22:34
DC pawnshop! Perfect!

NoBonus
September 27th, 2005, 00:13
Nevermind, I guess. I won a system off of eBay! (Finally I wasn't outbid in the last 5 seconds!) Thanks for looking anyway!

DARKGATE
September 27th, 2005, 22:11
Yes good, buy a dreamcast, we have a new adept devote at DREAMCAST =D ehehehe, i have two dreamcast, one DREAMCAST i have build with the rest of DREAMCAST wich don't work.
I have take the single components and i have made a dreamcast made in home ahuahuahuaauh =D .
WELCOME no bonus =).

ptr.exe
September 28th, 2005, 16:08
The Dreamcast doesn't have any internal memory to save to like the N64 did.
The N64 didn't have internal memory, did it? i'm sure you saved to the game cartridge. Maybe you mean the Saturn? that had internal save memory.

Darksaviour69
September 28th, 2005, 16:29
ptr.exe is right, with the n64 u saved to cart, but the saturn has built in memory (not much and it gets wiped if the internal battery dies)

Christuserloeser
October 4th, 2005, 14:51
How do I know if a Dreamcast will play CDRs? (pre-Oct 2000)

I never saw a DC that doesn't play CDRs.

Is there anything else I should look for or avoid when searching for a Dreamcast?

Look For:
-RGB Cable
-ShenMue
-Power Stone
-Arcade Sticks
-Controller Cable Expansion Chords
-VMUs
-Rumble Packs
-4 Controllers
-Maybe 1 (Cheap) Keyboard

Avoid:
- RF/SVHS Cable

quzar
October 4th, 2005, 16:42
If you get a post october 2000 dc it is worth more for modding than normal ones ;)

most DCs that don't read CDs are simply old and worn. I have had 3 DCs that only read CDs and 2 that wouldn't read CDs. I also had 2 that were picky about what GDs they would read (based on game, not on physical disc).

Christuserloeser
October 4th, 2005, 18:13
LOL! Hey, is it true that you had like 25 DCs ?! O_o

I only ever had four. Two that do work fine (from the beginning til today) and then I bought a broken one to fix the broken one of my brother which I then gave a friend as a present.