PDA

View Full Version : Sony: Go Ahead And Buy An XBOX 'Their Support Isn't Much Better'

wraggster
May 15th, 2008, 21:53
Reader Adrian's PS3 is broken and since the console was a gift that didn't come with a receipt, Sony is denying warranty coverage. Where it gets tricky is that there's a "manufactured on" sticker on the back of the machine indicating that it is clearly less than a year old -- meaning that there's no possible way it could be out of warranty coverage. Adrian tried explaining this concept to Sony, but they weren't interested. No receipt. No warranty. When Adrian threatened to switch to XBOX, Sony's only answer was that "their support wasn't much better."

http://consumerist.com/5008866/sony-go-ahead-and-buy-an-xbox-their-support-isnt-much-better

Elven6
May 15th, 2008, 23:47
With the 360 support service you don't need a receipt, as long as the serial number states it was manufactuered at a time within their repair policy, your good to go. So I really don't know how Sony can go off saying it isn't much better.

Ultima Chocochu
May 15th, 2008, 23:59
Yeah but what if you hadn't had your 360 in a year? And they said they couldn't, because it was past due the repair policy for it or whatever?
Can you use a receipt in that case? Just curious, on another note
It was kind of funny for Sony to say that, but maybe their policy is easier for them to go by.
But what's the point of threatening Sony? That's just kind of stupid.

Plus I just realized one thing, maybe Sony doesn't want to repair something that could possibly have been stolen. Just a guess.

F9zDark
May 16th, 2008, 00:10
First off, I doubt MS takes Manufactured On date into consideration: what of the person who buys a console manufactured a year ago? Is that not covered, although it states clearly FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE?

Secondly, Sony and other companies only warrant products with receipts because who is to say that the unit isn't stolen, or a failed demo unit that was tossed in the trash at Walmart that an Employee picked up?

In either case the companies got their money initially, but someone ends up with a free, working PS3...

JKKDARK
May 16th, 2008, 00:32
Typical comment by Sony.

Napalm-Death
May 16th, 2008, 02:23
Typical comment by Sony.

Typical JKKDARK comment.

masterchief929
May 16th, 2008, 03:04
both services fail. :P

rageteam1000
May 16th, 2008, 03:13
here's my two cents: person gets PS3 (as a gift, as a self purchase, etc).
person finds out PS3 is broken.
person calls sony customer support.
customer support says no service.
customer says "well this isn't fair. I'll go get a 360."
customer support says "okay get a 360, not like you'll get better service. have a nice day."

next should be:

customer support person gets told off by supervisor/or fired.

no one should get that kind of treatment from what should a be service to the customer. or at least that's how I feel.

DPyro
May 16th, 2008, 05:22
The point of their receipt policy to to prevent people from buying broken consoles off places like ebay or such and then turning around and getting it fixed for free. Besides that, your always welcome to pay the standard $150 to get a refurbished console.

Mazu
May 16th, 2008, 16:35
Woh woh hold it. Anyone care to think about the fact that this was not an official statement by Sony? Listen before you jump the gun.

My PS3 a few months ago stopped working for some reason. I was surprised to say the least. I've never heard of them just "Stopping" but heres the deal: I didn't have a receipt (My PS3 was also a gift) and I was only a few weeks over my warranty. I was fairly scared I wouldn't get my fix or new PS3, but I called Sony anyways and talked to them and a manager. They worked it out and said that it's fine and sent me a new PS3. I just used a bank statement instead of a receit which was perfectly fine. They were very nice to let me have a new PS3 even though I was a few weeks over my warranty.

I'm sure this person just got a jack ass on the phone. It happens. It's certainly not the best job in the world.

F9zDark
May 18th, 2008, 05:19
Yeah I agree it was a pretty bad statement; but so is saying "I am gonna buy a 360". I mean seriously, tech support persons aren't paid their "equal" share for the stupidity they have to deal with, but a loyal customer wishing to get their console fixed wouldn't have said that. There are other ways of getting the receipts, especially if a credit card was used, and most companies will produce the credit statement for the purchase and Sony has accepted this as a valid proof of purchase.

Thing of it is, this goes both ways, Costco for instance had a no questions asked 1 year return policy on TVs. Well as you might have guessed, people would buy a brand new TV, return it 364 days later and get another brand new TV for absolutely free. Needless to say, Costco caught on and changed their policy to 90 days.

My point is, companies have to balance what is good for consumers and what is good for themselves; if Sony allowed everyone with a PS3 to get it repaired, how many people who DIDN'T BUY a PS3 would benefit from it being repaired freely?

Use the example of Costco, imagine how many people would look around for busted PS3s or buy them on Ebay and simply say "I got it as a gift please fix it for me?" and if Sony obliged, you'd have many people who paid very little or nothing for a PS3 getting it fixed for nothing.

In all honesty, thats not very fair for those of us who bought a PS3 and may have a legitimate problem, because that would slow down the repair process since everyone would be using it at that point.

Shadowblind
May 18th, 2008, 05:24
Reader Adrian's PS3 is broken and since the console was a gift that didn't come with a receipt, Sony is denying warranty coverage. Where it gets tricky is that there's a "manufactured on" sticker on the back of the machine indicating that it is clearly less than a year old -- meaning that there's no possible way it could be out of warranty coverage. Adrian tried explaining this concept to Sony, but they weren't interested. No receipt. No warranty. When Adrian threatened to switch to XBOX, Sony's only answer was that "their support wasn't much better."

http://consumerist.com/5008866/sony-go-ahead-and-buy-an-xbox-their-support-isnt-much-better

Lol. Warrenty support covers every Xbox 360 ever made. They aren't 3 years old yet. Support is much better.

Lol Sony.

F9zDark
May 18th, 2008, 05:28
Lol. Warrenty support covers every Xbox 360 ever made. They aren't 3 years old yet. Support is much better.

Lol Sony.

But thats only because MS wanted to cut costs and make a cheap piece of crap console...

Sure service is good NOW, but what of all the RRODed consoles BEFORE MS made their vow to fix the consoles for 3 years?

And even then the service isn't any better, its only if the console dies because of RROD issue, everything else is still 1 year.

Shadowblind
May 18th, 2008, 05:40
But thats only because MS wanted to cut costs and make a cheap piece of crap console...

Sure service is good NOW, but what of all the RRODed consoles BEFORE MS made their vow to fix the consoles for 3 years?

And even then the service isn't any better, its only if the console dies because of RROD issue, everything else is still 1 year.

I know how it was. My first Xbox RRoD. I cursed Microsoft terribly. If my brother hadn't fixed it on his own, I would have dropped them. Microsoft can shove they're first generation 360s so far up they're--

That doesn't change they're service now, however.

Triv1um
May 18th, 2008, 10:59
When I had my first XBOX years ago, I was having problems with it, and MS's service was terrible.

By the sounds of it, Sony's aint much better.

DPyro
May 18th, 2008, 15:21
The 3 years for Xbox only covers RROD, if something else fails its only the standard 1 year warranty.

Napalm-Death
May 18th, 2008, 15:36
When I had my first XBOX years ago, I was having problems with it, and MS's service was terrible.

By the sounds of it, Sony's aint much better.

Actually, it is. This guy (the PS3 owner) just had to deal with a prick. I've dealt with Sony's tech support before and they're actually helpful people.

Elven6
May 18th, 2008, 18:21
I think with the 360 it is the date you register the serial number with Microsoft.

Baboon
May 19th, 2008, 09:30
The 3 years for Xbox only covers RROD, if something else fails its only the standard 1 year warranty.

Yep this is correct. When my machine died a few months ago I had to fork out as it wasnt the rrod but something else. :( ...I had to pay £65 for them to fix my machine and they also then extended my warranty for antoher year.

They did also give me an extra months xbox live gold membership for free though and also the choice of either a free game or accessory (I went for the blutooth headset seeing as this was the most expensive option at £37 lol). The whole process from ringing their helpline to eventualy getting my machine back only took a week and a half so the turnaround was pretty good.

In all fairness though Isn't a one year warranty the standard on all electrical goods purchases now? ...After the standard one year cover I can't see sony paying up either if your machine is no longer under warranty?

trugamer
May 19th, 2008, 12:04
Surely if it was a refurb the warranty seals would be broken? if i legitimatley bought a PS3, opened it up, it broke, I have no more right to a fixed console than someone who bought a broken one off ebay?
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the telephone guy was fired, he basically said Sony's customer support is rubbish, not a great way to represent the company you work for