PDA

View Full Version : PSP piracy fears resurface as v2.00 is cracked

wraggster
September 27th, 2005, 17:49
Source - GI.Biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11809)

Hackers have found a security loophole in the most recent version of Sony's PlayStation Portable firmware which may allow the console to run homebrew software, emulators and pirated games again.

The loophole is down to a bug in the new feature that allows users to set their own wallpaper on the device, and can be exploited by placing a specially modified image file on the Memory Stick in the PSP.

At present, only a range of simple applications such as "Hello World" text printers and a version of Atari's classic Pong game have been created that run through this exploit, as hackers only have 64kb of space to use for their code.

However, that limitation is unlikely to hold back homebrew application creators - and pirates - for very long.

"Once you can run unsigned code on the device at all, the floodgates are open," according to a development source who spoke to GamesIndustry.biz this morning. "The chances are that they'll be able to run full size apps and games on version 2 firmware within a couple of weeks."

This will be unwelcome news to Sony, which issued a number of firmware updates last month to try and crack down on earlier security loopholes which allowed homebrew and pirate software to be used on the PSP.

Version 2.00 encouraged users to upgrade by including a web browser, wireless picture sharing and a host of other new functionality, but also beefed up the security on the device significantly - a step which now appears to have been in vain.

(How long before Sony release the 2.5 firmware)

Shapyi
September 27th, 2005, 18:03
Its bound to happen. Especially since Sony was stupid enough to include libTIFF without fixing the KNOWN buffer overflow bug.... that was fixed in May 2005. I guess it was probably over looked when they originally were programming it.

candrews
September 27th, 2005, 18:53
It seems from the article that with the last expiolt is that alot of the news organization see that the only reason that people hack the psp or any console for that matter is to pirate games. That what I took from this article .

wraggster
September 27th, 2005, 19:08
yeah the last thing the homebrew community needs is a UMD loader for v2.0, Sony arent happy with the PSP homebrew scene as it is

Cap'n 1time
September 27th, 2005, 19:28
yeah the last thing the homebrew community needs is a UMD loader for v2.0, Sony arent happy with the PSP homebrew scene as it is

sadly, that dosnt stop the whores of the scene.

samui_samu
September 27th, 2005, 19:45
I for one have no plans for playing any psp games through my memstick, and neither do most people who run homebrew on their psp i think. That is what Sony is afraid of right? the umd loader. I mean the emulators only help Sony. And I find it hard to believe that many people will be able to afford the cost of putting PS ISOs on their memsticks in a practical manner.

I know this always comes up, but i wish Sony would just back off and embrace the genius of the GP2X

Cirus
September 27th, 2005, 19:54
withouth emulators and homebrew 1-2gb memory cards have little use. one of the main reasons i bought psp was able to play emulators which equals people buying memory cards more. I got emu's to work on my v2.0 i would buy a 1gb mem and still buy games like Pro Eva.. adn Gta ( and lemmings :D )

YourStillWithMe
September 27th, 2005, 20:16
2.00 is cool and all but 1.5 is better . .the only thing i love about my 2.0 is this pic of my G/F is absolutely beautiful on it :) it fits perfectly.

Anyway though i dont see how games over 64KB are gonna be created unless theres a HUGE overflow file out there see ya

im just gonna wai ton the 2.0 hacking scene to see which psp i want to keep my 1.5 or 2.00 because im not gonna keep 2 psp's thats dumb

Cirus
September 27th, 2005, 20:56
2.00 is cool and all but 1.5 is better . .the only thing i love about my 2.0 is this pic of my G/F is absolutely beautiful on it :) it fits perfectly.

your gf is that wide :eek:

Psychondrius
September 27th, 2005, 21:15
just watch. there WILL be a umd loader within the next 3 months. btw, i heard the latest umd loader they have out there actually 'emulates' discs in the PSP menu, allowing you to create custom iso's and make avc run on 1.x psp. I personally hope they dont make one on the 2.0. I dont want to see the homebrew scene end completely.

tenuvene
September 27th, 2005, 21:34
--- posted by MPH I TESTED AND IT WORKS
WELCOME 2.0 TO THE HOMEBREW WORLD :D
-> This is has not been tested, it could brick your PSP <-

-> I AM NOT RESPONSABLE FOR EVENTUALS DAMAGES <-

Downgrading 2.00 -> 1.50 method
-------------------------------

Requires :
----------

- PSP 2.00 (if you have an 1.51 or 1.52, update to 2.00)
- The 1.50 EBOOT.PBP update (http://shockzone.free.fr/PSP/Tool/EBOOT_1.50.zip)
- MPHDowngrader (http://www.chez.com/mph/)

Installation :
--------------

- Create a UPDATE folder in PSP/GAME/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy EBOOT.PBP (update 1.50) in UPDATE folder
- Unpack MPHDowngrader.zip
- Copy overflow.tif in your PSP/PHOTO/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy h.bin in root of your memory stick
- Copy index.dat in root of your memory stick
- Plug the AC adaptor

Then, enter in VSHELL PHOTO MENU, this will launch Version Changer.

Create an USB connection and if the Version Changer has been installed, a new file is created in your root of your memory stick (ms0:/index.dat.bak).

Then go to VSHELL GAME MENU and launch 1.50 update.

Follow the instructions ...

MPH

ghost2258
September 27th, 2005, 21:58
hmm can't someone make a homwbrew loader thats like under 64k and use it to load homebrew files?

cmspodwy
September 28th, 2005, 11:36
I agree with you guys that an ISO loader is bad when used for piracy but it definately has its merits when playing games that you already legally own. Personally when I'm on long journeys I like the fact that I can have a umd game in the machine while iso's of two other games I own available to me on hand to swap to quickly and easily.

Plus, the loaders all have the ability to play umd and iso games at 333Mhz which is a big plus in my book. Bet GTA will work a hell of a lott better at 333Mhz when it is released.

(Remember, piracy kills the industry and without the industry we wouldn't have a PSP. Support the developers, buy the games).

Rant over!

plonk420
September 29th, 2005, 01:57
you sure don't need a 1-2gb MS for homebrew... you only need it for other certain illicit uses (99 out of 100 times)

now you CAN use a 1-2gb MS if you're into doing your own movie conversions or storing music on there......

plonk420
September 29th, 2005, 02:30
I agree with you guys that an ISO loader is bad when used for piracy but it definately has its merits when playing games that you already legally own. Personally when I'm on long journeys I like the fact that I can have a umd game in the machine while iso's of two other games I own available to me on hand to swap to quickly and easily.

sony (and the dcma if you're a yank) unfortunately finds "backing up" your own game illegal. they've gone to the "effort" of putting their games in that shell (to "protect" the physical media) and encrypt it (to "protect" it from copying). unfortunately, it's a bitch if you've lost the game to continue playing legally, like i have with Wipeout Pure (the first console game i've bought since my Dreamcast, which was the last console system i've owned). ain't no Alcohol 120% for PSP :(

SchmuckofNI
September 29th, 2005, 06:51
Not to mention there isn't any replacement cases for the umds if they break. That really sucks. :/