PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo apologises for Wii Fit "fat" verdicts

Shrygue
May 16th, 2008, 19:24
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189128)

Nintendo has apologised to those offended by Wii Fit after the software came under fire for dubbing children "fat".

Update: Nintendo has issued CVG its full statement regarding Wii Fit complaints: ""Nintendo would like to apologise to any customers offended by the in-game terminology used to classify a player's current BMI status, as part of the BMI measurement system integrated into Wii Fit.

"The BMI classifications featured within Wii Fit are universal, standard measurements widely used within the medical and fitness profession. We have used BMI and its associated terminology as the in-game measurement in Wii Fit as it is a widely recognised indicator of a healthy weight range since it measures a player's weight, scaled to their height.

"As such it is the best available generic measurement that can assess a
player's progress whilst using Wii Fit. The different classifications applied in Wii Fit are those used officially with BMI.

"As stated in the Wii Fit manual, BMI is essentially a measure of body fat, based on an adult height and weight. Wii Fit is still capable of measuring the BMI for people aged between 2 and 20 BUT the resulting figures may not be entirely accurate for younger age groups due to varying levels of development.

"The BMI results will differ depending on an individual's stage of development. People with more muscle mass than normal will also have a higher BMI rating due to the heavy weight of muscle tissue, so the resulting figures should be used for reference purposes only.

"We appreciate that some players might want to keep their in-game assessment details private. Users playing Wii Fit have the option to hide their on screen weight so it will not be seen when playing in a group environment. In addition, if users prefer to play Wii Fit in a group environment, but do not wish their BMI rating to be viewed, they
can choose to play the Wii Fit activities as a GUEST without having to participate in the weighing and BMI measuring process."Update Ends.

The game uses the BMI system (Body Mass Index) to determine the physical condition of users, but Tam Fry, a spokesperson from National Obesity Forum says that it's inaccurate for children, and should not be used.

"I'm absolutely aghast that children are being told they are fat," Fry told Daily Mail, after a father reported the trauma of his 10-year-old stepdaughter, who the software labelled as "fat".

"BMI is far from perfect but with children it simply should not be used," he added. "A child's BMI can change every month and it is perfectly possible for a child to be stocky, yet still very fit."

The kafuffle started when one father told of his "devastated" 10-year-old stepdaughter, who the game labelled fat, despite apparently being "perfectly healthy". "She is solidly built but not fat.," said the anonymous parent.

Fry called upon Nintendo to include warnings with the software. "I would be very concerned if children were using this game and I believe it should carry a warning for parents."

darkness angel 777
May 16th, 2008, 21:35
That is FUNNY

vicious1988
May 16th, 2008, 21:52
Aw man, Nintendo caved. BOO!!!!

kingslime80
May 17th, 2008, 04:19
Caved or not, the BMI is the ONLY "Generic" measurement of Weight according to Hight, it is incapable of taking into account a person's muscle or bone mass or gender, therefore it is completely inaccurate. If that wasn't bad enough it was invented over 150 years ago. You'd think in this age of political correctness they could come up with a more accurate, less offensive measurement. Even Full Figured is less insulting.
Nintendo shouldn't have even included a scale program for the game anyways.

Shadowblind
May 17th, 2008, 04:26
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189128)
"I'm absolutely aghast that children are being told they are fat," Fry told Daily Mail, after a father reported the trauma of his 10-year-old stepdaughter, who the software labelled as "fat".
The kafuffle started when one father told of his "devastated" 10-year-old stepdaughter, who the game labelled fat, despite apparently being "perfectly healthy". "She is solidly built but not fat.," said the anonymous parent.
"
People who can't laugh or admit they're faults deserve to be called out.

Don't apologize for the truth, Nintendo. Whatever happened to "sticks and stones" you panseys?

wolfpack
May 17th, 2008, 04:31
Shadowblind... youre fat!!

ICE
May 17th, 2008, 04:40
Dont want Wii Fit to call you fat? Eat right and exercise.

iofthestorm
May 17th, 2008, 04:58
Seriously, BMI might be slightly inaccurate but most kids aren't freaking body builders, and the BMI score is pretty generous in terms of calling people overweight. I consider myself overweight but according to BMI I'm average. And it's just a game FFS, if you don't like being called fat than don't buy the game that freaking tells you how fit you are. This is such bullshit it's ridiculous, and Nintendo really does not need to be apologizing for this. Solidly built my ass.

R4mbo
May 17th, 2008, 09:50
I cant believe that Nintendo excused themselfes... this really has not been neccassary. +rep for nintendo^^

rememberthe8bit
May 17th, 2008, 11:57
"I'm absolutely aghast that children are being told they are fat"

But what if they really are? Children are in the best position to establish good eating and exercise habits...

waqster
May 17th, 2008, 15:58
hi

____anders____
May 18th, 2008, 18:03
hello fatties:p

haha how the hell can you be offended by a game?
i'm not anyway, i just play to pass the time and to have fun, i don't give a crap about what they say on a GAME, that's why it's a GAME, you shouldn't take it too seriously, just have fun with it..