PDA

View Full Version : DownGrader for V2.00 to V1.50 is Released

wraggster
September 27th, 2005, 22:30
UPDATE- This works on the Ceramic White PSPs and also when you downgrade you can also upgrade back to v2.0 also :)

The downgrader for v2.0 down to V1.50 is released and its confirmed working by multiple sources including admin from pspupdates and well as the hitmen team.

For now check out this topic for more info and please dont upload the 1.5 eboot to the forums, the downgrader is ok but the firmware will cause major problems for any site hosting it, youve been warned :)

Heres the readme.txt:

Downgrading 2.00 -> 1.50 method
-------------------------------

Requires :
----------

- PSP 2.00 (if you have an 1.51 or 1.52, update to 2.00)
- The 1.50 EBOOT.PBP update
- MPHDowngrader

Installation :
--------------

- Create a UPDATE folder in PSP/GAME/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy EBOOT.PBP (update 1.50) in UPDATE folder
- Unpack MPHDowngrader.zip
- Copy overflow.tif in your PSP/PHOTO/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy h.bin in root of your memory stick
- Copy index.dat in root of your memory stick
- Plug the AC adaptor

Then, enter in VSHELL PHOTO MENU, this will launch Version Changer.

Create an USB connection and if the Version Changer has been installed, a new file is created in your root of your memory stick (ms0:/index.dat.bak).

Then go to VSHELL GAME MENU and launch 1.50 update.

Follow the instructions ...

Download Below (via the comments) and follow the instructions to the letter

More discussion here -->

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11352

More tutorials etc in the comments

wraggster
September 27th, 2005, 22:44
The Dan posted this on pspupdates as well:

Welcome to 1.50, PSP firmware 2.0 users! MPH has created a WORKING downgrader from PSP firmware 2.0 to firmware 1.50. This takes advantage of the toc2rta exploit and allows for the full downgrade of firmware 2.0 to firmware 1.50. I have tried this myself and have successfully downgraded from firmware 2.0 to firmware 1.50.

Although this has been tried and found working, this does not mean there is no risk involved so use at your own risk.

Steps to use the MPH downgrader:
- Create an UPDATE folder in the /PSP/GAME/ folder of your memory stick
- Copy EBOOT.PBP (update 1.50) in /PSP/GAME/UPDATE folder
- Unpack MPHDowngrader.zip
- Copy overflow.tif in your PSP/PHOTO/ folder of your memory stick
(make sure you have changed your background to frame_buffer.png as explained in the toc2rta exploit.)
- Copy h.bin in root of your memory stick
- Copy index.dat in root of your memory stick
- Plug the AC adaptor

What you do next is go into the Photo Menu on the PSP and it will show some jumbled text, which is normal. Wait about 30 seconds and then restart your PSP.

From there you will now have a new file in your PSP’s root directory called ms0:/index.dat.bak. In the next step you will go to you Game Menu, Then Memory Stick, and then Launch “PSP Update ver 1.50.”

It will then ask you to downgrade and lead you along to installing. Here is where I got scared. It installed to 99% then errored. This is OK. Restart your PSP and reboot it. It will come up with another error which is OK as well. Restart it again and you will have PSP firmware version 1.50. Enjoy, and welcome to the world of legal homebrew, not piracy.

jimjamjahaa
September 27th, 2005, 22:50
oh my god!!!!

q. do i have the balls
a. no, i will research more thoroughly.

needless to say, omfg!!!!!!!!

edit: ok a noob question, where can i get the eboot.pbp?

edit 2. dont wory, its in the readme.

will edit with results. i could almost wet myself with anticipation

AHAAAA ahooo aheeeee

the blue screen scared the sh*t out of me! they didnt say anything about any blue screen! needless to say, press circle and its all sweet.

i followed the instuctions on pspupdates to the letter. i cleared out all the gunk that was in my root dir. i also removed my mp_root dir for some reason, it made me feel safer. i have a european 1.52 upgraded to 2.0 style psp (the uk release one)

it works.

im in heaven. i now actually have a reason to visit this site!

*o*
September 27th, 2005, 23:07
should i do it????

Renzatic
September 27th, 2005, 23:27
SUCCESS!

At first I wasn't gonna do it. After seeing the progress hackers are making with 2.0 I could just wait a few weeks and be perfectly content without having to risk bricking my lovely PSP.

But when it came right down to it I just couldn't resist. It kept calling out for me... "DOWNGRADE ME, RENZATIC! PILLAGE ME RAVAGE ME MAKE ME A WOMAN", so I figured I'd go ahead and do it. After all, I can't ignore my electronics calling out thinly vieled innuendos at me...and I have a one year replacement warrent on the thing, if I ended up killing it I could just go back to EB and switch it for a new one.

Sure enough, after a few glances through the readme and a tense 2-3 minutes of garbled text, corruption warnings, and other scary stuff...it worked. All I had to do was set the date again, rename my PSP, and it's running bios v. 1.50.

I don't recommend doing it if you don't have the cash for another or you don't have a replacement warrenty like I do. But...it worked for me and it seems to be doing alright.

aruka57
September 27th, 2005, 23:45
wow, talk about left field.. a mere 4 days after that was discovered, success

being a 1.50 user, it doesn't help me a lot, but i'm so very glad that this happened ^^

happy homebrewing, former 2.0 users ^_^

Drumst1ck
September 27th, 2005, 23:50
oh yeah oh yeah!! This is a great day for PSP0rs. We kindly welcome the 2.0 clans to the wicked emulation/homebrew scene. Enjoy!

JordaNinten
September 27th, 2005, 23:54
I pray this works... I'll say the results after it's over. If this crashes, I am gonna be SOOOO PI--I mean--MAAAAD!!!!

I've seen many posts that it confirms this works, so I'm gonna go for it, but if this crashes, I'm in trouble!!!

Shapyi
September 27th, 2005, 23:54
Haha looks like Yoshi wasted no time getting MPH (also from France) to join his new team and get some credit haha. I guess he accomplished this downgrade by using Yoshihiro's version changer or by the same sort of method so its fair. By changing the firmware version, 1.50 UPDATE could be run. Great work guys. Can't wait to see what SonyXTeam can do.

Anyway great news for the scene and all people with European PSPs who were forced to have 1.52.

jimjamjahaa
September 27th, 2005, 23:57
just played first homebrew game! it was sh.. crappy, but it was *homebrew*!!!! now for teh emulatoorrzzzzzz oh happy day! oh happy joyous day.

JordaNinten
September 28th, 2005, 00:10
One question: is VSHELL the slideshow? If not, then what is it?

tsf42m
September 28th, 2005, 00:19
What is the correct file size for the 1.5 eboot?

13.2mb?

dman32
September 28th, 2005, 00:27
One question...so this program is not something where you can easily switch back and forth...like the previously released version changer.

Odie
September 28th, 2005, 00:28
I can also confirm it worked for me, downgraded my v2.00 (JPN) PSP to v1.50 (still the circle button to select, so I'm assuming the v1.50 eboot was the Japanese one)

I'm hunting down some homebrew to get a quick taste before I head off to sleep.

mastercheif
September 28th, 2005, 01:17
Think this will work with 1.0? No more KXploit.

Sonict
September 28th, 2005, 02:46
I did a crazy thing today. I updated my PSP from 1.50 to 2.00. Then I decided to test out the new features. Then I tested the downgrader. It WORKED!! Nice job!!

P.S Even though I knew that the update failed message came at 99%, I was scared that it would not work.... The web browser in 2.00 is nice.

IndianCheese
September 28th, 2005, 03:00
What is "frame_buffer.png"?

brakken
September 28th, 2005, 03:45
Yoshi, the ex-member of WAB who recently got kicked out for mischievous activities including stealing money in a PayPal SCAM and ripping off code from other authors now states on his new page that he created the PSP v2.0 Downgrader with MPH and that MPH simply "forgot" to include that in the readme. With his past history and apparent lack of ability to spell correctly I highly doubt that he had anything to do with this downgrader, but until MPH responds or if they don't respond we'll know who is telling the truth or not.

UPDATE: MPH has just spent some time online and didn't mention a single word about Yoshi's involvement. Guess Yoshi is trying to take credit for something he had no part in afterall.

UPDATE: www.wab.com the group Yoshi was kicked out of has an information article about Yoshi and the fact that he didn't have anything to do with the downgrader.

Datre32
September 28th, 2005, 03:47
the downgrader works both ways, say... if you have 2.00 then roll back to 1.5, you CAN safely reupgrade to 2.00 the offical site warns about

This [h]as been TESTED how[e]ver we are not responsible for the eventual da[m]ages
by: http://www.sonyxteam.com/
(the brakets are my correcting their spelling :p)

ataribob
September 28th, 2005, 03:53
So far at least 15 user had success (from all the PSP boards)

No one bricked thier PSP yet.
Who wants to be the first one ;-)

Festizzio
September 28th, 2005, 03:56
I just did it, and it worked for me! Hey, I have a question. If the new white PSPs come with 2.0, doesn't that mean you could theoretically have a white PSP running homebrew?

Datahax
September 28th, 2005, 03:59
hey I'm thinking of upgrading to check out the 2.0 webrowser and stuff, and then downgrading again. Question -

I have a US 1.5 PSP, will the eboot provided work fine?

and

Would you reccomend this or would you say "Don't frippin touch it, leave it alone, it's not worth the risk"

?

Gaming Psychotic
September 28th, 2005, 04:03
Ok, I REALLY dont wanna mess this up, so I'm gonna ask some very n00by questions. Sorry in advance. Ok, when it tell you to copy certain files to the "root" of the memory stick, what does that mean? Also, when it says "unpack MPHDowngrader.zip" what does that specifically mean? Sorry again for asking stupid questions, but you really cant be careful enough when you're dealing with something so risky. Thanks for your help!

mrmachine
September 28th, 2005, 04:13
i just downgraded my japanese 2.0 to 1.5 without any problems.

so is there any chance of a 1.5 to 1.0 downgrader? so i don't need to bother with anything tricky to run homebrew?

ataribob
September 28th, 2005, 04:15
Just read the instructions that are in the downgrader.
Anyone could do it.
Just print the instruction and read them until you understand them.

Have fun in the Homebrew and emulator world . PS :Use the wab changer to trick your new 1.50 PSP to 2.00 and enjoy all the new Psp Games and the hombrew

ataribob
September 28th, 2005, 04:17
hey I'm thinking of upgrading to check out the 2.0 webrowser and stuff, and then downgrading again. Question -

I have a US 1.5 PSP, will the eboot provided work fine?

and

Would you reccomend this or would you say "Don't frippin touch it, leave it alone, it's not worth the risk"

?

there's an old saying

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

geise69
September 28th, 2005, 04:20
Just get PSPBrew. It's far better than Kxploit. I upgraded from 1.0 to 1.5 and love it all the same. Save yourself the hassle, and just try psp brew. It seriously takes 10 seconds. Also I'm glad that this downgrader finally happened so everyone can finally play homebrew stuff and also people will finally stop complaining. Now we get to look forward to all the kiddies saying "This emulator is slow. Why doesn't XX game work? When will GBA emulation be playable? Why is n64 not emulated yet?" Anyways this is still good news I guess. Glad people finally get a chance to play quality stuff on the psp next to some good UMD games.

ataribob
September 28th, 2005, 04:23
Yes but they will still need the Wab Changer to play the newest PSP games that require the UPgrade.

phantomk
September 28th, 2005, 04:31
Yes but they will still need the Wab Changer to play the newest PSP games that require the UPgrade.

No You Dont!!!!!! Waggster needs to post this on the main page!

If you have an older game that doesnt require a firmware update (tony hawk, wipe out, ect ect) you have the ability to preform a UMD swap trick. It's alot like the original swap-ploit trick we had to do with the with the ms duo's to play home brew before the "%" trick was discovered

Heres what you do. Take a older game on UMD that doesnt require a firmware update to play it. Pop it in. Go to the game icon on your PSP. Launch the UMD game. The white screen comes up wth the PSP logo. Eject the UMD game from the PSP before this animation is over- you have a few seconds dont fret. Place in a game like Madden 06 or Coded arms, or Whatever game it is you want to play that requires a firmware update in order to play it. Tada! it is now loading. Dont mess with that WAB crap anymore then you have to. This way is pretty easy and I'm sure someone can make a msduo command to exacute a partial iso faked save file, with out the need for this swap trick.

ataribob
September 28th, 2005, 05:14
No You Dont!!!!!! Waggster needs to post this on the main page!

If you have an older game that doesnt require a firmware update (tony hawk, wipe out, ect ect) you have the ability to preform a UMD swap trick. It's alot like the original swap-ploit trick we had to do with the with the ms duo's to play home brew before the "%" trick was discovered

Heres what you do. Take a older game on UMD that doesnt require a firmware update to play it. Pop it in. Go to the game icon on your PSP. Launch the UMD game. The white screen comes up wth the PSP logo. Eject the UMD game from the PSP before this animation is over- you have a few seconds dont fret. Place in a game like Madden 06 or Coded arms, or Whatever game it is you want to play that requires a firmware update in order to play it. Tada! it is now loading. Dont mess with that WAB crap anymore then you have to. This way is pretty easy and I'm sure someone can make a msduo command to exacute a partial iso faked save file, with out the need for this swap trick.

That's the hard way.
The wab changer you run once to change your firmware to 2.0 then leave it at 2.00 and delete the program.

PSP_Newbie
September 28th, 2005, 05:18
for people having trouble w/ this, i would recommend the guide here, as its the most easy and complete guide ive found so far http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11365
heh, congratz to all those finally getting to play homebrew on psp,
now a rush of new people to the homebrew community^^

and i have read positive feedback on the wab version changer, as it doesnt require much hassle of the swap trick, and is less dangerous that popping out the drive and quickly swapping every time you want to play a new game, and it doesnt require you to have a 1.5 game umd you arent going to play(or dont have) at hand.
it works like the 2.0 downgrade exlpoit, or anyways the 2.0 downgrade exploit works kind of like it, as it was released first.
it makes the psp think that is is a higher version that it is and allows the games to run, while still happily on a psp with 1.5 firmware

ClintiePoo
September 28th, 2005, 05:19
This is a glorious day for the PSP

phantomk
September 28th, 2005, 05:21
I dont trust WAB's code to be honest. People said that after running the updater to say 1.51 that they couldnt upgrade to the 2.0 legit firmware because it would crash at 99%. Also how is this trick hard? You have time, once you have the knack- it's pretty hard to get the error code. Also I'm willing to bet if someone ripped a manipulated save game file to the msdou and tinked with it, it could be used as a launcher. It would have to be from a non firmware game I think. I have a pristine 1.5 and I personally dont want to put it thorugh any kind of risk. I got this trick down pat- It's not that hard at all. Also the UMD drive spins the disc around once, reads the AES key and then the umd symbol comes up in the menu. This drive doesnt spin when the white PSP logo animation is launched so it's about as harmful as clicking open the dvd tray lid on your flip top dvd player when the disk is stopped or the device is shut off. Listen to the drive if you dont believe me.

slayer2psp
September 28th, 2005, 05:30
there is no risk it wont brick your psp what a bunch of dumb ass questions

grayjaket
September 28th, 2005, 05:34
ok..ive followed all the intstructions TO THE LETTER yet everytime i try to run the "update" it says "The game could not be started." (80029148).

help?

^^^^

pepsolman
September 28th, 2005, 05:47
Yeah... this great news comes on the day that I receive my new White 2.0 PSP.

I bought it cause its white and cause I wanted to play madden 2006 because you have to upgrade to play it and I didn't want to upgrade my 1.5 black psp to stupid 1.52.

So hear I am with 2 psp's. What should I do now? I'm gonna try to sell one now that I know that I can safely step back to 1.5 now.

GEEEEZZZ WHY COULDN't THIS HAVE HAPPENED A FEW DAYS EARLIER???

STUPID MADDEN FOR PSP!! WHY??

PSP_Newbie
September 28th, 2005, 05:55
im in practically the same situation as you pepsolman, with only slightly different reasons
either way, im stuck w/ 2 psp's, a 1.5, and a 2.0 i havent bothered to downgrade yet, but will if one of my friends decided they want one

Zergling
September 28th, 2005, 06:05
THIS WORKS, today i used the 2.0 web broswer for the first time !!! pritty cool but then i went back to 1.5 homebrew ROCKSSSS!!!! allll this is some amezing stuff they made. MPH Your the ****ing man!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP IT UPP

dman32
September 28th, 2005, 06:51
so basically right now there isnt a reason to use this program if you have 1.5....what I want is to have a 2.0 but still be able to do all the homebrew/emulation stuff...I guess that should be coming soon?

cmspodwy
September 28th, 2005, 11:19
Hello all and welcome to the world of homebrew. I've been using v1.50 on my Jap PSP for ages now and have been well impressed. Anyway I thought I'd clear a few things up.

WAB Version Changer V2
http://www.wab.com/tools/Wab_Version_Changer_V2.rar

This works brilliantly. Basically, when you have a v1.5 psp and try to play a new game you'll get told you need to upgrade to v1.52 or above to play. If you run this program you can fool your system into thinking it is higher than v1.5 and play all new games (tested with colin mcrae, virtua tennis and toca 2) When you have done it you will notice that when you check the system settings on your PSP it will say it is on the updated firmware version. Yet when you run homebrew apps like fastloader it will tell you that you are still really on v1.5. So it appears that it just basically fools the system without updating your firmware.

So it works!

http://www.psp-hacks.com/downloads/UMD_Emulator_V0.8C.zip
http://www.yankidank.com/article.php?story=20050821213905170

You can use this program to launch iso images of UMD games from a memory stick. But best of all you can set your PSP to run at 333Mhz when playing games from iso images or originals from the UMD. Works brilliantly and clears up slowdown in some games like Winning Eleven 9.

To all PSP n00bs : the system is designed to run at 333Mhz but was scaled down to 222Mhz to improve battery life. I've been playing all my games at 333Mhz now for months and I can see a definate improvement over my mates 222Mhz PSP (though he'll be downgrading now to take advantage of this feature)

(Note:: Only keep iso backups of your purchased games as without supporting the industry there would be no PSP).

Anyway, hope this helps you guys.

heyOKE
September 28th, 2005, 11:35
what happen if I downgrade my 2.0 Italian to 1.5 firmware taken from shockzone... will became an english PSP?... and most of all, it's possible to?

mrevertonfc
September 28th, 2005, 11:41
OK I'm stuck. I've run the downgrader but now my PSP just has a screen saying PSP System Software Version 1.50. It's been like that for about 20 mins now and I cant turn it off. Should I take the battery out or will that ruin my PSP completly. Oh god I'm begining to regret this. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

cmspodwy
September 28th, 2005, 11:42
heyOKE

I don't know for sure, but from the other posts about the downgrader it says that your psp is completely reset.

I'd imagine that you would have to reset the language to Italian once you have restarted after the downgrade.

Can anyone confirm?

mrevertonfc
September 28th, 2005, 12:11
Ok its now working.

But does anyone know of any emulators that work with 1.5? cause I've tried several Megadrive and SNES ones but it say the game could not be started 80020001

cmspodwy
September 28th, 2005, 12:33
MrEverton - Glad to hear you haven't got a brick mate. Anyway, which emulators are you using? Have you tried PSPGenesis for the megadrive?
Are any other homebrew apps working? Try loading the UMD emulator that posted earlier on this thread and see if it starts. At least then you will know if your downgrade has worked for sure.

By the way, what happened after you waited for the downgrader to finish? Did it just take that long or did you shut it down and reboot?

PS. As a fellow Evertonian I'm praying for a bigger miracle for Thursday that having a downgrader!

jimjamjahaa
September 28th, 2005, 12:41
you got to use the kxploit trick on 1.5 remember.

PSXP
September 28th, 2005, 12:50
Please guys help!
I dont know if i should do it or not.
The instructions look very confusing and im worried if ill stuff up.
I have an Australian psp, do u think it will work or stuff?
Help im really nervous!

Mr.Modem
September 28th, 2005, 13:15
This is great!!! I have 1.5 so it doesn't affect me but it's great that so many people can enjoy homebrew now.

spillway
September 28th, 2005, 13:19
I have an Australian psp, do u think it will work or stuff?

I have seen it work on an Australian PSP... go for it... you won't regret it.

v_toe
September 28th, 2005, 13:48
once downgraded can u delete the update file?

jimjamjahaa
September 28th, 2005, 14:31
yepo

Largo_W
September 28th, 2005, 14:37
Yes u can delete it. also the .bin stuff and the .tiff image.
I had 2 Points where i thought i bricked "it" :
1. After nothin happend after the overflow (after 5 Min with off-powered screenlight) -> Resolution: get off the battery
2. After the "Upgrade failed" screen. I waited 5 Min, the get off the battery again.
"Reboot" *switchin on again, bluescreen, 1.50. Im fine with playin Mega Man1, thanks :D

@heyOKE
You will stay at your foreign language when u downlgrade. I also still have mine :D

Edit: Bah. Too slow typing..

infer0s
September 28th, 2005, 15:28
Same happend here!Man i thought i bricked but everything worked ok in the end
with the battery trick. :)

echel0n
September 28th, 2005, 16:19
i have a USA psp that i bought on the first day it came out, with firmware 1.0. I bought a game that told me i needed to upgrade to 1.5.2 to play and like an idiot i went and did it, thinking all 1.5.x still took homebrew. i kicked myself after..
Now I have a chance to go back, this is great news, thanks to u guys who managed this.

has anyone made this work with a USA PSP? im so scared, i dont want to end up with a "brick" :( we should have a poll or something that shows how many people this worked for and how many people ended up with a brick. so far, everyone i read, even those who had problems initially, have ended up with it working which is brilliant!

echel0n
September 28th, 2005, 17:17
someone brought up an interesting point to me: has anyone tried reupgrading to 2.0 after using the downgrader?

Lets say further down the line after using this downgrader,we would like to upgrade again to 2.0 for some reason (like for example if 2.0 one day would support homebrew or whatever) , but when we tried then it didnt work because of the way we downgraded. there would be a lot of unhappy people on this forum..

Is this a valid question or am I just being paranoid? I guess Im just really concerned about doing this and Im thinking about all the "what-ifs"..

Elbereth
September 28th, 2005, 18:03
Well I answer my own question: YES it works fine with Ceramic White PSP.

Here is some proof (video playing Snes9x-TYL 0.2c and high def pictures) :
http://msluga.free.fr/psp/

Feel free to use them.

ShinSean
September 28th, 2005, 18:08
echel0n someone brought up an interesting point to me: has anyone tried reupgrading to 2.0 after using the downgrader?

Yeah I can confirm this :) I live in Cally

I actually run the 2.0 exploit twice just to be sure that the index.bin.bat file actually appears -

press down quickly after you enter the photo option in your PSP (the second time you run the overflow eploit) and you should see a black screen with some numbers on the left side (if you see this you know its ok to run the 1.5 eboot on the next restart)

I've up and downgraded like 5 times so far ;)

echel0n
September 28th, 2005, 18:36
Yeah I can confirm this :) I live in Cally

I actually run the 2.0 exploit twice just to be sure that the index.bin.bat file actually appears -

press down quickly after you enter the photo option in your PSP (the second time you run the overflow eploit) and you should see a black screen with some numbers on the left side (if you see this you know its ok to run the 1.5 eboot on the next restart)

I've up and downgraded like 5 times so far ;)

Thanks- so that means it works both on USA PSP, AND its possible to re-upgradew/out problems. woo hoo ok, i think i got enough reviews that this works, i'm going to try it..cover me lads, i'm going in :D stay tuned for update!

IndianCheese
September 28th, 2005, 19:58
why did it say "X Back" on the video? shouldn't it say "O Back" like on mine?

IndianCheese
September 28th, 2005, 20:12
Poll: Downgrader bricks!

Downgrader did not brick: about 100,000
Downgrader did brick: about 0

There you have it. Of course, you are all going to hate me now, but who cares! So far there have been no reports of PSP bricking due to the downgrader. Eh-O.K.

echel0n
September 28th, 2005, 20:49
jaja :p

i hope thats the way it goes :rolleyes:
Poll: Downgrader bricks!

Downgrader did not brick: about 100,000
Downgrader did brick: about 0

There you have it. Of course, you are all going to hate me now, but who cares! So far there have been no reports of PSP bricking due to the downgrader. Eh-O.K.

Renzatic
September 28th, 2005, 20:53
My props go out to MPH and everyone else responsible for making this a reality. I haven't had this much fun with my PSP since I bought it, and I'm sure there are plenty of other people around here that feel the same way.

But anyway, here's a couple of screenshots showing off some SNES action. I'm so glad I can finally do this. :D

WOOT! (http://users.chartertn.net/greymatt/punchout.jpg)
WOOT2! (http://users.chartertn.net/greymatt/dragonquest6.jpg)

Elbereth
September 28th, 2005, 21:02
why did it say "X Back" on the video? shouldn't it say "O Back" like on mine?

I dunno. It is a japanese PSP, maybe that's it. On my black "normal" PSP with 1.50, japanese too it is X Back too.

chronotimer
September 28th, 2005, 22:05
seem like i got the same pb with launching game:
i did like the instruction said the firmware version is the 1.50 but i still cant launch any emulator or homebrew even not a demo homebrew
i have an european psp when i bought it it was 1.52 firmware and its a 1004 model
when i try o launch a game i have the 80020001 error message

do u have any idea ???PLZ!!!!!!! :D

pepsolman
September 28th, 2005, 22:18
Ok... I tried once... said battery was too low to do it.

Took battery out... put AC adapter in.

Still gave me the "battery is too low" message.

Charged battery to 100% kept ac adapter in with battery after charging... it finally worked.

Said upgrade failed when it was done. Did a cold reboot. Came up fine and and I had to set all of my settings again like time, date, nickname, as if I took it out of the box and it were 1.5.

I did this test on a new Japan White 2.0 PSP.

I already own a black 1.5 US PSP. I need to sell it now. Me and my impulse buying.

MOSOND
September 28th, 2005, 22:26
This might be a noob question, and this might have already been addressed under this topic but I didn't see it

My only concern is that the 1.50 EBOOT.PBP that I have under the readme.txt states its the Japanese version. Now will this create region problems when trying to play American UMD movies?

The first part of the second question can be answered with just a yes or no - is there an American dump of the 1.50 firmware, and does it even matter.

pepsolman
September 28th, 2005, 22:44
As the Rock would say... it doesn't matter what kind of PSP you use the downgrader on!

There are no region problems... no language problems... you can reupgrade back to 2.0 if you feel like then back down to 1.5 if you want.

You can use a wab version changer in your 1.5 to fool it into thinking its 1.52... 2.0 or whatever so you can play games like Madden 2006 while using a 1.5 firmware psp which mean you get to play homebrew and decent and new psp games as well.

I wish I would have found all of this before I went and bought a White PSP. Its cool though... I just have to find a way to sell my old 1.5 black psp.

Elbereth
September 28th, 2005, 22:59
The PSP was released in the USA with the 1.50 firmware. The only 1.50 update that exist is for the JAP PSP v1.0. So no there should not be a 1.50 update in US or EUR version. But I don't know what is the problem with that. If the botton switch is bothering you, you can change it. And that is the only difference.

As far as I know the region isn't stored in the firmware.

rorshach17
September 28th, 2005, 23:38
Downgraded and it seems to be working fine, but no homebrew apps will work on it, or will work but very strangely. JPEG Viewer was what I wanted but it crashes as the cache skyrockets and doesn't look right at all.

I upgraded and downgraded again, still the same problem. What am I doing wrong?

bobcobb
September 28th, 2005, 23:42
I guess you can't play new games on the downgraded version? If you can, then It's gonna rock!

Cirus
September 28th, 2005, 23:48
weird how mine downgraded, cant remember even putting firmware 1.5 on it.. but after it came on a black screen with numbers i panic'd then when to system to find this

http://www.mnomic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downgrade.jpg

PSP_Newbie
September 29th, 2005, 00:11
cirus...thats the downgrade exploit, which changes some values and makes your psp *think* its a 1.00, but its still completely a 2.00
however, this gives you the option to run the 1.5 update file to *upgrade* your psp from the 1.00 version it thinks it is to 1.5, while it is really downgrading

PSP_Newbie
September 29th, 2005, 00:14
and to all those having trouble playing homebrew on a 1.5, go to a "Playing Homebrew on a 1.5 PSP" FAQ, it will explain how to use the kxploit program (though i recommend getting Seipsp tools, PSPbrew, etc) to convert the eboots to run homebrew on a 1.5.
its not the downgrader that doesnt let you play it, you just need to know how to play homebrew on a 1.5

plonk420
September 29th, 2005, 01:52
i have a USA psp that i bought on the first day it came out, with firmware 1.0. I bought a game that told me i needed to upgrade to 1.5.2 to play and like an idiot i went and did it, thinking all 1.5.x still took homebrew. i kicked myself after..

uh, no US PSP came with 1.0. i bought it release day and it was 1.5... :P

echel0n
September 29th, 2005, 02:12
it worked babyyyyyyy! woo HOO! YES! ***dances round the room*** thank you!! :)

alexh
September 29th, 2005, 12:57
I guess you can't play new games on the downgraded version? If you can, then It's gonna rock!Of course you can.. you just need to use one of the Version changers (WAB or MHP) to change your version number back to 2.00

Megaman6201
September 29th, 2005, 13:47
ok yes you 100% can re upgrade to version 2.0 after the downgrade i have now upgraded and downgraded 3 times with no problems. I do have one question though if i use the Version changer so i can play newer games like burnout on version 1.5 will i still be able to upgrade back to 2.0

ataribob
September 29th, 2005, 14:19
Yes
for all new 1.50 users you will need to
Use (SeiPSPTool.exe) or (KXploit Tool )
To put youe emulators on your pSP If not you will get a "Game could not start" warning

Search this forum for the word (pre made emulators) and you can find them already made and ready to use in 1.50

ataribob
September 29th, 2005, 14:21
ok yes you 100% can re upgrade to version 2.0 after the downgrade i have now upgraded and downgraded 3 times with no problems. I do have one question though if i use the Version changer so i can play newer games like burnout on version 1.5 will i still be able to upgrade back to 2.0

Just use the wab changer and put your system at 2.00 and then delete the wab changer
After that you can play ANYTHING!

Tomppa
September 29th, 2005, 15:31
Here goes a N00B question; Where I can get the 1.5 eBoot?

Edit; Please, forget it?

echel0n
September 29th, 2005, 16:17
Just use the wab changer and put your system at 2.00 and then delete the wab changer
After that you can play ANYTHING!

if you do that-use the version changer to change it to 2.0 and then delete it, and can play everything-can u still load more HB and EM that way, or just play the ones you have? I thought you had to put the changer back down to 1.5 again in order load new stuff?

sorry if someone has asked this already, i havent seen the answer to this quest.

urherenow
September 29th, 2005, 16:27
you need to search the forum. the answer is here, just not in this thread.

wel, until now anyway. The version changer doesn't really upgrade your PSP, it just makes it SAY that it's a version 1.0 or 2.0. even while it says 2.0, it's still really a 1.5 and you can play the newer games and your home brew apps at the same time. No need to upgrade and downgrade all of the time ;)

Megaman6201
September 29th, 2005, 17:48
OK now im having a small problem with playing umd disks after the downgrade to 1.5 it wont play umd movies aneymore. i update back to 2.0 and they work fine any ideas on how to fix this?

silentgamer
September 29th, 2005, 18:23
i'm having trouble getting the downgrade on my psp can someone help me please? i have the eboot 1.50 and i have the downgrader zip but it won't work please help.

echel0n
September 29th, 2005, 18:41
i'm having trouble getting the downgrade on my psp can someone help me please? i have the eboot 1.50 and i have the downgrader zip but it won't work please help.

whats the problem exactly? dont forget to unzip everything, i know that sounds obvious, but unzip everything..the first time I forgot to unzip the files because i was so nervous and almost bricked my PSP , i smacked myself in the head..anyway unzip it all, then you need to follow the instructions to the letter. if youre still having problems, then at what point of the process isnt it working for you, and what happens?

GizmoSan
September 30th, 2005, 03:12
I've been using homebrew emu's for a while now. The community is great and has extended the life of my psp ten fold. I downloaded the 2.0 update from Sony's website today for a friend who has 1.51, but does anyone know if the update stops the downgrade from happening? Because this downgrade is all over the net, im just worried that sony may have added some extra code.

Has anyone download the update via the internet recently. I just don't want to risk my friends psp. thanks

Cap'n 1time
September 30th, 2005, 05:01
I've been using homebrew emu's for a while now. The community is great and has extended the life of my psp ten fold. I downloaded the 2.0 update from Sony's website today for a friend who has 1.51, but does anyone know if the update stops the downgrade from happening? Because this downgrade is all over the net, im just worried that sony may have added some extra code.

Has anyone download the update via the internet recently. I just don't want to risk my friends psp. thanks

I would guess that it would be safe.. for now.. but i recomend you grab it within the next couple of days. fixing that TIFF exploit is apparently a very simple job for sony.

theDrunkenDog
September 30th, 2005, 10:08
Okay, I have THIS Problem and it makes me really angry:

I know, that it's normal that the PSP shows this weird white text on the black screen, but it won't go away, yesterday I waited about 2 hours and it did not stop! After 6 Minutes the screen turns black, but if I hit a button, the text comes back, I can't switch it off, I have to remove the battery pack. After this, everything is as it's explained in the readme (blue screen with warning and so on), and the PSP also says, that it's 1.50, but the Emulators don't work! Can anybody please help me??

monkeyspank
September 30th, 2005, 10:33
It worked for my orignal release Jap machine. Here's my experience in case it helps anyone:

Had a Jap v1.00 upgraded to 1.50, then 2.00. Following the instructions as far as loading up the overflow tif which is meant to give a black screen with white text. I DIDN'T get that, my machine just froze on the picture selection bit on the homepage. I left it 30 seconds then took the battery out (and AC lead) + put it back in. I noticed in the root of my memory stick the backup file and also my PSP was saying it was V1.00 !! :D Then I used the 1.50 update and all went according to instructions after that. Been playing emu's ever since :D

So, I did NOT get the black screen with crazy text, but the exploit still worked. It goes to show that it is worth checking to see if the ms0:/index.dat.bak file was created, and also checking the firmware version in the system properties to see if it thinks it is a v1.00.

Thanks to everone who made this possible. I'm confused about who this might be but thanks all the same!

echel0n
September 30th, 2005, 15:00

I did on wednesday without problems.

echel0n
September 30th, 2005, 15:22
Okay, I have THIS Problem and it makes me really angry:

I know, that it's normal that the PSP shows this weird white text on the black screen, but it won't go away, yesterday I waited about 2 hours and it did not stop! After 6 Minutes the screen turns black, but if I hit a button, the text comes back, I can't switch it off, I have to remove the battery pack. After this, everything is as it's explained in the readme (blue screen with warning and so on), and the PSP also says, that it's 1.50, but the Emulators don't work! Can anybody please help me??

I had the same problem. I downloaded 3 sets of instructions for this in case something went wrong, i was really nervous and wanted to make sure i knew what to do. one set says the psp will turn off after the numbers screen, another says to wait a few secs and then to turn it off and back on. mine didnt turn off and then i tried to turn it off and it wouldnt...after 3 or 4 mins i got really nervous and took out the battery. if u check the threads, ull see many people had the same problem and had to take out the battery. but then i went thru the rest of the process smoothly.

as for the ems not working, try some different ones. ive found that some worked and some didnt even before i upgraded by mistake. then after i redowngraded those same ones didnt work, but i did have success loading others. for this reason, i dont attribute the problem to the downgrade at all. you may have a different issue, but I would still try loading some other ems before giving up

chrisvenn
September 30th, 2005, 15:42
Yeah it works :D Love it homebrew here i come :D

echel0n
September 30th, 2005, 18:00
Yes u can delete it. also the .bin stuff and the .tiff image.
I had 2 Points where i thought i bricked "it" :
1. After nothin happend after the overflow (after 5 Min with off-powered screenlight) -> Resolution: get off the battery
2. After the "Upgrade failed" screen. I waited 5 Min, the get off the battery again.
"Reboot" *switchin on again, bluescreen, 1.50. Im fine with playin Mega Man1, thanks :D

@heyOKE
You will stay at your foreign language when u downlgrade. I also still have mine :D

Edit: Bah. Too slow typing..

I saw a bunch of files in the root after i did this downgrade. which ones can i delete and which ones need to stay? I dont want to delete em all and wind up with a brick. i could always save them in a temp file on my HD but i dunno if i can replace em just by dragging em back in if i was wrong.

GizmoSan
September 30th, 2005, 20:14
hey guys,

I found a version of the original Japanese release of version 2, on a japanese website. followed the instructions to the word, OMG i was so nervous because I didn't want to give my friend his PSP Brick. :(. Anyways, after reading through it 10 times and step by step, all works well. He too can now enjoy the homebrew scene with me. Thanks for your suggestions :). I really don't want to do that again. hehe

dkode
September 30th, 2005, 21:40
Ive a problem with the downgrader. i have all the stuff on my memorystick and when i open the photo, the jumbled text appears. now...if i just push the power swich up nothing happens. do you mean restart psp by taking the akku out? and the ac adaptor of course otherwise there is still power.....if i take out the akku and put it back in. the files exist in the root of the memory stick but when i want to open the 1.50 eboot it says that i already have 2.00 and its not neccesary to update so no downgrading. what shall i do? plz help me i wanna use homebrew!!!!
cya DkoDe aka Extra_Crispy

skyline128
September 30th, 2005, 21:42
Hi I also am a newby running an english machine on 2.0, if you are saving all this on the memory card is it possible to have 1 memory card on 2.0 and the other on 1.50 and just swap between them, as I so want homebrew and ems but am so addicted to winning eleven.

dkode
September 30th, 2005, 21:54
Maybe it helps if i say that i have an us psp with europe firmware 2.00

silentgamer
September 30th, 2005, 22:16
i'm having trouble getting the actual downgrader to work, the s/ystem is showing the update but won't let me change it back to 1.5 what should i do

echel0n
September 30th, 2005, 22:43
Hi I also am a newby running an english machine on 2.0, if you are saving all this on the memory card is it possible to have 1 memory card on 2.0 and the other on 1.50 and just swap between them, as I so want homebrew and ems but am so addicted to winning eleven.

No, the firmware is installed on the unit itself, not the memory card, if im not mistaken..although it would be cool if you could do that! haha, in retrospect, maybe someone already has somewhere.. some brilliant people out there..:p

silentgamer
October 1st, 2005, 02:27
why won't it go into the version changer after i have put everything where they need to be. plz help, i want homebrew

RedKing14CA
October 1st, 2005, 03:18
i downloaded it, now i must await my psp to be fixed...

GizmoSan
October 1st, 2005, 05:10
why won't it go into the version changer after i have put everything where they need to be. plz help, i want homebrew

did you follow the instructions to the word? You have to put the files in the correct places on the mem stick. I used the 32mb stick as for my test stick. When I first ran the photo app, the screen went black and there was lots of garble.

I took out the battery, and rebooted. saw that it had made the .bak file, a few more steps, rebooted the psp and it was back to 1.00, then updated to 1.5 and golden. Make sure u follow the directions exactly!.

looks whats selling on ebay :(
http://cgi.ebay.com/PSP-Downgrader-2-0-to-1-5-play-homebrew-backups-game_W0QQitemZ8222409734QQcategoryZ91513QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

This is why sony doesn't like homebrew, because of idiots on ebay!

dkode
October 1st, 2005, 13:30
i found the reason for my problem. i had a backround picture. as soon as i put i away and tried it again. it worked! now im getting some homwbrews.
http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000687060851/ <----- go to that link and there is a description for downgrading with pictures and tells you have to restart your psp. that site worked for me!
cya dkode

IndianCheese
October 1st, 2005, 18:07
I NEED HELP QUICK I downgraded but when I restarted my PSP I received an error in multiple languages saying that the setting data is corrupted and to press the O button to restore default settings. Should I do this? I already restarted my PSP a few times and it did not make the error go away.

Tron_Fan
October 2nd, 2005, 05:31
From what I understand (from the link in the message before yours) that message is part of the process:

Step 8: After the PSP reboots you will receive an error screen that is scary and confusing because it is in multiple languages. Don’t panic. Find the language you can understand and read the corresponding line. It notes that your preferences are fragged and that you need only hit the O button to restore some default-ish settings. Hit the O button.

Did you do that? Does it work OK now?

PSPFR3AK
October 2nd, 2005, 17:36
downgrader 2.0 to 1.5 worked for me ...
it got stuck at 99% and gave me a error message and i restarted the PSP and now i have 1.50
im looking for emus now...

Zaibach333
October 2nd, 2005, 20:47
well I'm glad I finally got to try out that browser

grayjaket
October 2nd, 2005, 23:09
i found the reason for my problem. i had a backround picture. as soon as i put i away and tried it again. it worked! now im getting some homwbrews.
http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000687060851/ <----- go to that link and there is a description for downgrading with pictures and tells you have to restart your psp. that site worked for me!
cya dkode

so THAT was my problem. heh.

anyways..i just borrowed a friends copy of coded arms, since the eboot didnt work for me....just used ITS upgrader(to 1.5)...w00t.

now to figure out what i have to do next...

oh yeah..can i delete all of this crud off my psp now? like all those files frmo the downgrader?

Megaman6201
October 2nd, 2005, 23:30
gotta say i was loving the whole 1.50 thing although 5 mins ago i was having a heart attack i really thought i had bricked my psp. i downgraded to 1.50 whitch for some reason took it all the way to 1.00 so i decided to go back to 2.0 and wham at 99% i got that message. Luckiley after a restart it still works fine and is running 2.0 but i think my downgrading days are over :(

*o*
October 2nd, 2005, 23:44
when it says its 1.0 you should run the 1.50 upgrade

hiazu
October 3rd, 2005, 00:08
im having trouble and i think the problem is that the update is the JPN version so does anyone know where to get a usa update?

funy56
October 3rd, 2005, 03:08
I managed to downgrade my psp from version 2.00 to 1.50 however I can't run emulator on it. Anyone can help me?

I put the emulator folder in PSP/game/ emulator
and I know there's 2 version of emulator.

Thanks guys! :)

creoleplane
October 3rd, 2005, 07:00
Just succesfully downgraded my JAP white PSP to 1.50, freakin sweet. Even though I already have a 1.50 black US psp I really wanted to see what the homebrew stuff would be like on the white one as the buttons have a slightly diff feel. Now the question is what PSP to upgrade to 2.0 for the new games as that is why i purchased 2 in the first place.

funy56
October 3rd, 2005, 09:20
Hi

I managed to downgrade my psp from version 2.00 to 1.50 however I can't run emulator on it. Anyone can help me?

I put the emulator folder in PSP/game/ emulator
and I know there's 2 version of emulator.

Thanks guys!

monkeyspank
October 3rd, 2005, 10:53
There are loads of guides available for getting emulators to work. Read the stickies at the top of the guides and tutorials board on this very forum.

This thread is meant to be about the downgrader.

maliciousturnip
October 5th, 2005, 02:51
Does anyone have a link to the 2.0 update im afraid i can only find the 2.01 update
thanks

Twimfy
October 5th, 2005, 03:24
Does anyone have a link to the 2.0 update im afraid i can only find the 2.01 update
thanks

I don't know where to get it but it's now going to be highly sought after now that you can't upgrade to 2.0 via wifi anymore.

I had a 1.5 PSP to begin with and I upgraded to 2.0 to get the browser a while back, nice to be back where I started, now that I no longer have a GP32 I need the pocket emulation.

Gonna give wab version changer a try now, its amazing how many people in this forum just fail to read simple instructions. Here's a few tips for people.

During the downgrade, when you see the numbers on the black screen wait 30 seconds and then switch it off, you do not need to take the batter y out just keep the power switch held up for about 10 seconds, do the same to switch it back on.

The data rebuild is part of the process.

grayjaket
October 7th, 2005, 04:54
ack...i need 2.0 as well...if anyone updated to 2.0 and forgot to delete the update or something...*i needs*

divzero
October 7th, 2005, 16:15
Bought an Aussie PSP today, came with 1.52 and with the 2.0 update on the Demo UMD Disk. Followed instructions (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11365) to the letter.

Got black screen with white writing when did the version trick. Waited 5min and rebooted. Upgraded, crashed at 99%. Waited 5min and rebooted. Got config error screen told to press O, screen cleared after I pressed X. Left for a bit and rebooted - 1.5 :D Download tetris (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8042) and Attack of the Mutants (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11069), both working great.

When rebooting I had to remove battery and power cable.

Awesome stuff! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the code, tutorials and just saying "it worked" to mitigate my fears of bricking this baby.

I noticed that Sony has updated their site now to 2.01, the documentation should probably be updated to warn people :) I was lucky I had a copy on the included UMD so I didn't have to worry.

Now to code my own game...

Cheers,

Will.

vincesecuricor2005
October 8th, 2005, 00:42
the downgrader works superb i upgraded from 1.52 (im in england and thats the firmware they came with on launch date) then downgraded using the MPH also helped 5 friends downgrade no problems

vicviper74
October 8th, 2005, 14:55
Some one uploadload the 2.0 update since sony just removed it from the us websote. some one must have it backed up

m@tch
October 8th, 2005, 15:24
Has anyone tried the downgrader with 1.51 / 2.01 ? If not, what he said ^
Cheers

monkey_magic
October 8th, 2005, 15:25
Why is it that all Version of MPHDowngrader that I can find are all infected with the "Trojan.PSPBrick" virus - reported to remove critical system files from your PSP.

There are no other mentions of this on here and I am obviously a bit nervous about downgrading for this reason....

If that isn't bad enough, it is also apparent that people are offering 2.01 firmware for download, listed as version 1.50 so that when you downgrade, you actually end up upgrading to a point of no return....

Oh bugger - I'm doomed.

tyrell36
October 8th, 2005, 22:49
Why is it that all Version of MPHDowngrader that I can find are all infected with the "Trojan.PSPBrick" virus - reported to remove critical system files from your PSP.

There are no other mentions of this on here and I am obviously a bit nervous about downgrading for this reason....

If that isn't bad enough, it is also apparent that people are offering 2.01 firmware for download, listed as version 1.50 so that when you downgrade, you actually end up upgrading to a point of no return....

Oh bugger - I'm doomed.

Here to...Norton always detects Trojan.PSPBrick...

ataribob
October 8th, 2005, 23:17
Some one uploadload the 2.0 update since sony just removed it from the us websote. some one must have it backed up

http://www.psp-hacks.com/downloads.php

These are clean firmwares

ataribob
October 8th, 2005, 23:21

Oh bugger - I'm doomed.

Get it from the people who made it
It's safe here

http://www.sonyxteam.com/

m@tch
October 9th, 2005, 09:18
Cheers for the 2.0 link bob. Worked fine for me :D

tyrell36
October 9th, 2005, 21:29
Will the Japanese 1.50 Firmware work on euro psp when downgrading....does it have english language and so...

ataribob
October 9th, 2005, 21:40
any firmware has the Language settings in the system settings to pick from as far as I know

Zaibach333
October 11th, 2005, 04:25
woa, I was just browsing around and thanks a bunch for the 2.0 link

echel0n
October 11th, 2005, 17:29
woa, I was just browsing around and thanks a bunch for the 2.0 link

Hey Zaibach333,

Sorry to be OT but that avatar is really cool, i like the animation :)

Greenskull
October 14th, 2005, 01:24
Sonyxteam's site dosn't work for me and i NEEEEEDDDD the downgrader. I don't wanna screw up my psp! help!

Heran_Bago
October 14th, 2005, 02:10
If you want a 100% chance of not screwing up your psp, don't downgrade.

echel0n
October 14th, 2005, 15:48
i havent heard of any case where someone has bricked their psp, i'd say its reliable as long as you follow the instructions.

Greenskull
October 15th, 2005, 00:44
This sucks! I downgraded then noticed I had like 6 broken pixels so I replaced my psp. Then i turned it on and found it was a-ok. so i downgraded it. once again, 6 broken pixels! 3 out of 6 were in the excact same place! I ran the Pixel Cleaner and nothing. It seems that when you downgrade you break pixels! My mom will get angry if tell her there's ANOTHER problem! What am I gonna do?!?!?!?!

*o*
October 15th, 2005, 02:45
ignore it

Greenskull
October 15th, 2005, 05:02
There's three bright green ones side by side so theres a green line!

echel0n
October 17th, 2005, 16:02
that sucks mate, im sorry to hear that happened. its also strange that it happened twice, I could understand one anomoly but 2 times? are you sure you are following the instructions to the letter? Im not trying to be cheeky, I am just trying to help.. although I know that prob doesnt help much..anyway, I hope you sort things out, i know i would feel just as frustrated, you have my sympathy :(

Zaibach333
October 17th, 2005, 23:10
I've been hosting a chain with my friends where I downgrade all of their psps and I haven't come across any of those problems, sorry to hear of em man.

lonemalegerudo
October 18th, 2005, 00:48

Oh bugger - I'm doomed.

I'm getting the same thing. It's finding a file within overflow.tif called Trojan.PSPBrick. Norton deletes it instantly and links me to this page (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.pspbrick.html) . I'm not taking the chance.

Of course, it's possible that the folks at Symantec are just using a scare tactic to prevent people from downgrading, but it's still not a risk I'm willing to take.

pickup712
October 20th, 2005, 23:21
I need help, i have tried the downgrader program and every time i go in to the picture part it frezes and turns off. I am 99% sure i have done every thing right up to that point, i just cant understand why it frezes and then turns off. Plz Help!

Zaibach333
October 21st, 2005, 06:16
hmmm, are you sure the h.bin and the index.dat file are in the root of the memory stick? I seemed to get that same problem when I unpacked the file wrong

pickup712
October 21st, 2005, 17:51
hmmm, are you sure the h.bin and the index.dat file are in the root of the memory stick? I seemed to get that same problem when I unpacked the file wrong

I think its the right folder, when i connect via the usb it brings two files up, psp & mp_root. I placed the two files in question in the mp_root part. Is that correct?

Green_Hawk
October 22nd, 2005, 06:05
I'm glad there is an option to go back to 1.50 from 2.0. I recently parted with my 1.50 PSP when my g/f ordered one from Ebay and the seller told her it was a 1.50, turns out it was a 1.52 that lying SOB. So I felt horrible and traded her my like new 1.50.

Zaibach333
October 22nd, 2005, 07:16
sounds like something I'ed do Green_Hawk.

and pickup712, I'm going to tell you the procedure just one more time incase you missed something earlier.

okay

you have a psp with the firmware of 2.0
your memory stick should at least have this

- PSP
- - +
- - PHOTO
- - - +
- - - overflow.tif
-
- h.bin
- index.dat

then, you turn on your psp and try to view photos with that stick in.

you shouldnt be able to press any buttons at this point.

once the psp restarts you try to run a 1.5 update (from a game or from an update on your stick)

if the downgrade program worked the 1.5 update program will think you have a lower version so it can <i>update</i> to 1.5. if it says you have a higher version, something went wrong.

after <i>updating</i> to 1.5 *with or without error warnings* you will have a 1.5 firmware.

tell me if ya missed anything in those steps and I hope this helps.

vincesecuricor2005
October 24th, 2005, 19:37
lovin the downgrader ive downgraded like 6 now

fpcreator2000
October 27th, 2005, 05:41
Not that I do not trust the MPHDowngrader, but as I was going to place it on my PSP Norton detected it "trojan.PSPBrick" on the file and deleted it so I completely removed it from my system for fear the version of that file might brick it. I just redownloaded it again but I'm waiting to pick up a second PSP or maybe go with a GP2X instead for homebrew. $250 is too much for me to risk loosing, and the Eboot loader works fine on my 2.00 even though I used the GTA:LCS version.

Zaibach333
October 27th, 2005, 06:32
was it you who posted that earlier this thread? cause... I've never come across that. but maybe if I had norton.

if you want I could give you a copy of mine, that I have used already. I'm sure it's fine.

vincesecuricor2005
October 27th, 2005, 08:58
norton does this because the downgrader accesses the firmware (so im told) but it is safe ok

Green_Hawk
October 27th, 2005, 15:07
I downgraded this 1.52 back to 1.50 after upgrading to 2.0 of course. Only problem is I killed a small pixel on the left side of the screen. Hardly noticable, but strange!

Zaibach333
October 28th, 2005, 00:58
if you look back in this thread, somebody else had that same problem... it is odd, maybe you could use the lua pixel fixer game, not sure if it works much. I used it and it makes it less bright.

vincesecuricor2005
October 28th, 2005, 01:08
if it annoys you that much just phone sony and they send a brand new one to your door

tricky nicki
November 3rd, 2005, 04:54
hiya,
i've followed the guide but when i get to the downgrade it says 'already running version 2.0 no need to update'.
what have i done wrong?

vincesecuricor2005
November 3rd, 2005, 10:42
make sure you leave the overflow picture on for 35 secs or more works for me

NoSavvy
November 6th, 2005, 06:59
I am such a NEWBIE! Could someone please give me step by step instructions on how to even "Create an UPDATE folder in PSP/GAME/folder of your memory stick". Or should I put out a plea for someone in Bunbury, WA who has already downgraded their PSP 2.0 successfully to downgrade mine?

Greendragon91
November 6th, 2005, 07:50
Hey guyz could u help me i upraded my ps to 2.5 and i am wondering how i could downgrade it to 1.5 . i tryed all those things and it didnt work for me. And i also need to know if i really need to downgrade to play emulaters. Thz so much if u could help me.
Peace Out!

Zaibach333
November 6th, 2005, 11:58
okay... if you are beyond 2.0 you're pretty ****ed - but keep uptodate cause you never know if somebody makes something work.

and to make any "game" appear on the psp you put any folder in the rootX:/psp/game/ folder by plugging your usb cable to your computer and doing it simply in a file manager... c'mon it works like any usb flash device... the txt file is really self-explanitory, I hope you can figure it out.

sorry greendragon... and sorry vets for aiding to the needs of newbs ^__^.

vincesecuricor2005
November 6th, 2005, 12:17
just right click when ur inside the game folder and rename it to UPDATE sorted

pspben
November 8th, 2005, 15:56
Just try PSP 1007K can't downgrade....

vincesecuricor2005
November 8th, 2005, 17:55
no homebrew for you, phone up sony and say its faulty (i.e. dead pixels) and they send u the older model to ur door to swap with the courier (well thats what happened with my friend might be different now)

Zaibach333
November 9th, 2005, 05:51
Just try PSP 1007K can't downgrade....
... what? - Im willing to help if I knew what you were talking about

pspfr33k
November 9th, 2005, 15:17
1007k is from Asia, this has nothing to do with the version 2.0FW or whatever. It should work if you have 2.0 so try it again with reading the readme carefully!

FreeWorld
December 6th, 2005, 01:17
would you guys recomend this?

FreeWorld
December 6th, 2005, 01:18
haha... no body's here.....

FreeWorld
December 6th, 2005, 01:20
yup...jus wait'n here....

FreeWorld
December 6th, 2005, 01:21
poopie pants!! .....hehe

FreeWorld
December 6th, 2005, 01:22
Yippee!! my 5th post

FreeWorld
December 6th, 2005, 01:22
yup.... my 6th

FreeWorld
December 6th, 2005, 01:23
If your reading this, your as hopeless as me

Festizzio
December 6th, 2005, 01:39
Of course I would recommend this.

Zaibach333
December 6th, 2005, 05:58
Brakken, I highly appreciate that well thought input.

I was wondering about that guy and now I dont have to look.

*by the way, I checked that out on the wab site, thanks

tyke
December 14th, 2005, 18:09
I have done this and got ver 1.50 tried to run some more software didnt work gave up then put umd in it showed up as norm put would not run it says corupt sotware then I looked at ver evenly and there is nothing in ver just blank :confused:

eye_share
December 25th, 2005, 01:14
Yo, I Have Norton Anti-virus and it says its a virus, should i trust u and deactivate my norton or just forget this?

christopherloriz
December 26th, 2005, 04:41
hello everyone.
i'll be the first to acknowledge my n00b-ness both in this forum and to the psp.
i just got my first psp today for christmas and i dont know very much about it.
one of the things that intrigued me about it, was the downgrade and ability to play emulators.
ive read through this entire thread and im going to attempt the downgrade very soon but i had a few n00b questions that i would like directly answered.
thanks for anyone who takes the time to read my questions and answer them.

-i have a US version 2.0 and i enjoy my web browser. if i do this downgrade to a version 1.5 will i be able to play new games, and will i be able to retain my browser. if so...how is this possible?

-i dont know much about emulators, where they are available, how they work. if anyone can share important information, or at least links directing me to info that would be a great help.

-anything else you'd like to share so i dont brick my brand new psp would be greatly appriciated as well.

thanks!!

-chris

echel0n
January 9th, 2006, 16:52
this is sort of a late reply but i thoguht i would write anyway..if i were you, i'd first try the eboot loader, before trying to downgrade. that way you can keep your web browser. if but be careful if you downgrade, theres a lot of fake downgraders out there with viruses, u dont want to brick your new psp. theres quality h-brew on this very site, you dont have to go searching around too much. i know it can be a pain to go thru all the threads but it is worth it, trust me. also, if you follow the directions and make sure you get your h-brew from quality sites like this one, it is unlikely you will brick your psp. hope you enjoy your xmas pressie!

hello everyone.
i'll be the first to acknowledge my n00b-ness both in this forum and to the psp.
i just got my first psp today for christmas and i dont know very much about it.
one of the things that intrigued me about it, was the downgrade and ability to play emulators.
ive read through this entire thread and im going to attempt the downgrade very soon but i had a few n00b questions that i would like directly answered.
thanks for anyone who takes the time to read my questions and answer them.

-i have a US version 2.0 and i enjoy my web browser. if i do this downgrade to a version 1.5 will i be able to play new games, and will i be able to retain my browser. if so...how is this possible?

-i dont know much about emulators, where they are available, how they work. if anyone can share important information, or at least links directing me to info that would be a great help.

-anything else you'd like to share so i dont brick my brand new psp would be greatly appriciated as well.

thanks!!

-chris

mpaxaros
January 13th, 2006, 23:22
Καλησπέρα φίλε ή φίλη.Διάβασα κάτι που έγραψες σχετικά με το MPHDowngrader. Όμως μe τιποτα δε μπορω να το βρω καθαρο αφου οπου κ να εψαξα εχει μεσα τον ιο κ μου σβηνει το αρχειο.μηπως εσυ το εχεισ καθαρο; ξερω οτι σου ειμαι ξενος κ δεν εισαι υποχρεωμενος/η αλλα βλεπω οτι εχεισ στειλει πολλα μηνυματα οποτε εισαι απο αυτουσ/εσ που βοηθουν τους αλλουσ.please θα σου ειμαι υπόχρεος. το e-mail μου ειναι [email protected]

MGFox
January 14th, 2006, 00:01
Καλησπέρα φίλε ή φίλη.Διάβασα κάτι που έγραψες σχετικά με το MPHDowngrader. Όμως μe τιποτα δε μπορω να το βρω καθαρο αφου οπου κ να εψαξα εχει μεσα τον ιο κ μου σβηνει το αρχειο.μηπως εσυ το εχεισ καθαρο; ξερω οτι σου ειμαι ξενος κ δεν εισαι υποχρεωμενος/η αλλα βλεπω οτι εχεισ στειλει πολλα μηνυματα οποτε εισαι απο αυτουσ/εσ που βοηθουν τους αλλουσ.please θα σου ειμαι υπόχρεος.

Erm...anyone?...translation maybe? :confused:

Cheers,
MGFox

sourfrenzy
January 15th, 2006, 18:10
Καλησπέρα φίλε ή φίλη.Διάβασα κάτι που έγραψες σχετικά με το MPHDowngrader. Όμως μe τιποτα δε μπορω να το βρω καθαρο αφου οπου κ να εψαξα εχει μεσα τον ιο κ μου σβηνει το αρχειο.μηπως εσυ το εχεισ καθαρο; ξερω οτι σου ειμαι ξενος κ δεν εισαι υποχρεωμενος/η αλλα βλεπω οτι εχεισ στειλει πολλα μηνυματα οποτε εισαι απο αυτουσ/εσ που βοηθουν τους αλλουσ.please θα σου ειμαι υπόχρεος. το e-mail μου ειναι [email protected]

translated
Good evening my dear friend. I read something you wrote about the MPHDowngrader. I can't find it clean(virus-free) since everywhere i searched i find it infected and the file is deleted. Do you have it clean? i know i am a stranger to you and you don't have to do it but i see that you have sent many messages which means you are a helpful person. Please do i will be very much grateful to you. my e-mail is [email protected]

Uku
January 26th, 2006, 14:37
its not a virus , it detects it as a trojan horse due to the nature of the code afaik , dont worry and deactivate nortons while you download/use it , i downgraded my psp a while back then installed nortons recently , it then promptly removed the file from my pc and my psp memory card. thankfully it isnt needed on the psp once downgrade is complete.

bigboy42
January 30th, 2006, 20:41
I have followed the instructions given but on reboot the version says 1.0 whicj i assume is right
but i have a file called bak_index.dat not index.dat.bak

don't know if this will blow it when i run the 1.5 update

so help should io run it all again or is this correct

thanks for any help

bcj_i
March 6th, 2006, 18:37
I dont understand! help me please. what does the copy EBOOT.PBP bit mean? do i copy a file called EBOOT.PBP or do i just copy the words EBOOT.PBP into my UPDATE folder? PLZ write back.

Gazmec
March 9th, 2006, 16:17
I got myself a PSP firmware 2.0 and I was really worried that I would not be able to get help to downgrade it to 1.5. All I can say id I read this forum and this post and I am happy to say. I have now got a Sony PSP firmware 1.5. Thanks you all for your help. If anyone out there wants to downgrade to 1.5 like I did but are worried like I was dont. Read this post because I did every thing it said and it worked.

Thanks again
Gaz

BELCHER
May 21st, 2006, 10:28
Hey i have downloaded the mphdowngrade from this forum and then click extract but nothing is there to extract so i was stuck on that part and were do i find the eboot and the other files

Shrody
June 29th, 2006, 00:02
guys i have a proble why does my psp say that the overflow.tif is a corrupt data? what do i have to do? pliss help me thx for any help

SweetFA
June 29th, 2006, 00:14
This should help

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/downgrade_psp_2.cfm