PDA

View Full Version : c64PSP v0.1 (Commodore 64 Emulator for PSP)

wraggster
September 28th, 2005, 02:42
Hi all PSP Homebrew and Emulation users and esp to all those who have joined us today, we are PSP Emulation News and yes we have a new emulator today released by Urchin (http://urch.in/c64psp/), heres the info:

c64psp is a Sony PSP port of Christian Bauer's Frodo C64 emulator.

Currently, disk image handling is not implemented, but pressing "Start" will load the file "snapshot.fss" from the main c64psp directory. USB connectivity is enabled on startup, so simply replace "snapshot.fss" with a snapshot saved from a desktop version of Frodo running your favourite game and just hit "Start" to reload.

Control is limited to emulation of the Port 2 joystick. Diagonals may not seem to work properly, but this seems to be a PSP problem, not an urchin problem. Response seems to improve after a bit of breaking in (of the PSP, not urchin)

Video seems to work well, though is not centered at the moment. Sound is working, but there seems to be some voice drop out - not sure yet whether this is Frodo, SDL_mixer, or urchin related.

Download Here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/c64psp.shtml

urherenow
September 28th, 2005, 04:22
I'm glad to see C64 coming to the PSP and thank the author for his work... but IMHO, VICE/winVICE is the best (free) C64 emulator around and I'm quite certain that it's open source as well (or at least the source is available on it's download page).

Why wouldn't someone port that to PSP instead of frodo?

melime
September 28th, 2005, 04:30
Thank youuuuuu very very much for this great old days of gameplay :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

keep up the god work!!!

han
September 28th, 2005, 05:09
Great, most of excellent work, kuddos for bringing C64 to the PSP. I love you :)

As the lad above did say Vice is a much better emulator, but its also much more complicated port process than Frodo. Give it awhile and we might see it.

Definately looking forward to menu, .d64, .t64 and keyboard overlay support.

Could you please release the source code so others could also work on adding in these type features and fixes.

ArugulaZ
September 28th, 2005, 06:20
I'm still waiting for VIC-20 emulation, myself. :D

JR

urchin
September 28th, 2005, 11:03
Hiya, glad you are enjoying the emu. This is my first PSP development, so I wanted to go for something easy, hence my choice of Frodo. I did look at VICE, but it looked way more complex, and from their knowledge base:

"Anyway, it is not a job which can be done on one or two afternoons; from experience, porting VICE to a new plattform takes approximately one year."

It only took one or two afternoons to port Frodo :) It was fun doing the initial port and I hope to add new features as soon as possible.

ultros
September 28th, 2005, 12:14
YES! awesome!

i'm an absolutely C64 lover. i've been looking forward to this news since i have a PSP.
thank you and keep up the good work!

PRESS PLAY ON TAPE ;)

Nige
September 28th, 2005, 12:55
Nice one Urchin! :D

Mr.Modem
September 28th, 2005, 13:08
Finally! I've been waiting for this since I got my PSP. Now the three greatest computers in history is emulated: Amiga, Atari ST and C64.

han
September 28th, 2005, 13:48
Thats cool man, its great, i already had a special folder reserved for this emulator :)

Its probably early to be making requests for this emulator but maybe you could add all the of the frodo versions to the next update. And please please release the source code :)

Mr.Modem
September 28th, 2005, 13:58
I hope you make a disk selector soon.

urchin
September 28th, 2005, 14:05
Don't worry, disk selector is high on the wishlist.

Along with improved audio, video, controls, menus, kitchen sink... :D

Mr.Modem
September 28th, 2005, 14:29
Fast reply Urchin! I'm looking forward to future updates. I hope you fix that diagonal joystick bug. Right now I cant make the double kick in IK+ :D . Thanks for this anyway!

urchin
September 28th, 2005, 14:40
Unfortunately, it's not a bug as far as I can tell - I first noticed it when trying out Commando.

I was unsure whether it was a bug or not, so I printed out the d-pad info at the top of the screen. Diagonals are possible, but you need to be *so* precise. Whilst fiddling around though, I did find that diagonals became easier to hit, so it might be that the d-pad needs a little breaking in.

I'll take a look and see how easy it is to use the analog stick instead of the d-pad.

Amiga
September 28th, 2005, 15:23
Fantastic emulator!!

han
September 28th, 2005, 15:30
Heyu Urchin cool you are being so personal on this one!!

Can I ask did you compile as SCFrodo or the normal Frodo, I ask because the quality of emulation is improved with the SC version, its cycle based rather than line based emulation. So its much more compatible by supporting all the cool raster effects from the real C64. But it is slower emulation. I think the PSP should be able to handle it. I was running it like that way back on a P133.

Ive just done some testing and it looks like its just the normal scan line Frodo compile. Im getting weird flickering with sprites in Wizball, thats on all versions of Frodo that are not cycle based.

Also i was playing Sacred Armor of Antiriad and it crashed after playing for about 5 minutes. Have you had many lockups during development.??

Man if i knew how to set up a porting environment i would be helping you with whatever you need.

Again mad props to you, Ive been having a ball with Delta/Thalamus

urchin
September 28th, 2005, 15:40
It was only the line based version I built. Now I understand a bit more about the structure of the emulator, I will look into building the cycle based version. I had to put a delay loop into the current version, so the PSP has a few horsepower left to play with (and that's before messing around with 333mhz mode, which I'd prefer not to do)

I must admit to not playing a game for a very long time. I've left it running and loaded different games over a period of time though.

Wander over to ps2dev.org and have a nosey round there if you want to know more about PSP development in general. I got c64psp running in about 2 days after building the "hello world" samples. PSP is a lot easier than PS2 :D

Mr.Modem
September 28th, 2005, 16:05
Unfortunately, it's not a bug as far as I can tell - I first noticed it when trying out Commando.

I was unsure whether it was a bug or not, so I printed out the d-pad info at the top of the screen. Diagonals are possible, but you need to be *so* precise. Whilst fiddling around though, I did find that diagonals became easier to hit, so it might be that the d-pad needs a little breaking in.

I'll take a look and see how easy it is to use the analog stick instead of the d-pad.

Yeah, you're right, the diagonals work but they are hard to hit. I guess it's Sonys D-pads that sucks and not you're code ;) Keep up the good work.

SmashinGit
September 28th, 2005, 17:13
Great news, thanks alot :)

alex_dsnews
September 29th, 2005, 10:23
This is indeed a great emulator, especially for a first attempt. Now we can re-live the old Speccy vs C64 arguments!

What's the best way to get the .fss files, though? Do I need to make my own via a PC version of Frodo as I can't seem to find any on the web...?

urchin
September 29th, 2005, 10:50
Cheers! There are no .fss files available on the internet - using them was just a stopgap measure to test the progress of emulator before adding disk support. The easiest way create an .fss is to download Frodo for PC/Mac (e.g. from here (http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/bauec002/FRMain.html)) and hit Ctrl-F9 (I think) when your game is running.

I was just playing round with analog stick support yesterday. I'm mulling over disk image support right now though.

magicruss
September 29th, 2005, 10:52
Hey urchin - fantastic release!!

i have tried commando and have had no probs at all with diagonals!

also i could not throw grenades?? - is there still some button mapping to do - i have sent you a PM about something too!

Great release - well done dude - now i have the music from thing on a spring in my head all day!

urchin
September 29th, 2005, 10:57
You must have a magic PSP with working diagonals - I believe they are very rare :D

I think Commando uses the space bar to throw grenades - I remember plugging another joystick into Port 1 and pressing the fire button with my foot :)

I will grenade hack support in tomorrow and let you know!

urchin
September 29th, 2005, 10:58
er, hack grenade support in, even... :D

magicruss
September 29th, 2005, 11:02
Yep - just tried again and diagonals are perfect - i must be lucky?? it's a Jap 1.50 iv'e had for ages - one of the first 1.5's - don't know if thats anything to do with it?

urchin
September 29th, 2005, 11:22
I know some people have returned their PSPs numerous times until they got one with working diagonals. I've got a Jap 1.5, but I think it might be because I've not got any games that require precise diagonals (e.g. a fighting game)

I can think of a small mod that might enhance diagonals for some people - I'll stick it on the list :)

DrSarcasmo
September 29th, 2005, 12:37
Urchin, you are my new personal god...: ) Most games I tried loaded in perfectly. There is one caveat though. Most games I tried to run require you hit
return to start them. As we have no keyboard emulation yet, all I can do is watch them cycle through the title screens. Is there any plans for a keyboard emu yet? Until one exists, I can only run a few selected games. Either way, thank you for your efforts...: )

DrSarcasmo

alex_dsnews
September 29th, 2005, 13:31
Cheers! There are no .fss files available on the internet - using them was just a stopgap measure to test the progress of emulator before adding disk support. The easiest way create an .fss is to download Frodo for PC/Mac (e.g. from here (http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/bauec002/FRMain.html)) and hit Ctrl-F9 (I think) when your game is running.

I was just playing round with analog stick support yesterday. I'm mulling over disk image support right now though.

Cool, no problems. Just tried creating a snapshot from Trollie Wallie no probs. Disk support would be great, but I'm sure your to-do list is pretty big already... ;)

sh3-rg
September 29th, 2005, 16:06
er, hack grenade support in, even... :D

:) That could have got quite messy!

urherenow
September 29th, 2005, 16:20
I think Commando uses the space bar to throw grenades - I remember plugging another joystick into Port 1 and pressing the fire button with my foot :)

LOL :D

You're correct about the space bar, and I used to play the same exact way! :p

Mr.Modem
September 29th, 2005, 18:22
You must have a magic PSP with working diagonals - I believe they are very rare :D

I will grenade hack support in tomorrow and let you know!

That's the way I played Turrican 2 on my Amiga. You could use special weapons by pressing the space bar. I put the Amiga on the floor and used my foot to hit the space bar button. Ah, the good old days!

urchin
September 29th, 2005, 18:58
You stood on your amiga?! :eek:

:D

wraggster
September 29th, 2005, 19:46
what a fantastic emulator :)

Nice to see you here urchin too ;)

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 10:16
c64psp v0.2 is now ready for public consumption! (http://urch.in/c64psp)

c64psp features full c64 emulation, including sound. New features include:

Analog stick support
t64 and d64 image file support
Virtual keyboard for text entry

Many thanks to Magicruss and Nige for hammering preliminary versions.

SmashinGit
October 9th, 2005, 11:05
Hey urchin thanks a lot.

viking73
October 9th, 2005, 11:29
hello guy... i'm new and i tried the c64 emu... i would like to ask to the author if it's possible to add support for .tap files because i got alot of games in that format... is the format of original tape loading so you need to wait about 2-3 minutes for loading.... alot of emulators support it (included ps2vice and also pspvice)... it was nice because during loading there was music or in some case you can play little games like space invaders while you wait the game to load... i know is for nostalgic people but i noticed in some cases that some game in t64 format doesnt work because they were bad cracked (ie impossible mission) and the original tap file works fine...
i hope you will add this feature as sson as possible... thanks and keep going...

han
October 9th, 2005, 12:42
*crosses fingers for SCFrodo in the next release*

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 12:47
You might have to keep them crossed forever! :)

I tried compiling both PC and SC versions but they use way too much processor time. Maybe 1% of the speed. I will have another look now this version is out, but I'm not holding my breath :(

viking73
October 9th, 2005, 13:12
nothing for .tap files?.... :)

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 13:25
As far as I know, .tap are not yet supported by frodo. Sounds like a nice to have, but there's tons of other stuff I'd like to fix first.

If someone were to add .tap support to frodo, it shouldn't be too difficult to add to c64psp.

magicruss
October 9th, 2005, 13:26
just a personal gratz to urchin for the latest release - well done matey.

It's been a lot of work - but theres LOTS more to come yet!!!

lastyle
October 9th, 2005, 13:52
Yes definatly, the latest Release improves Gameplay a lot, but since i cant select single Files from D64 Images a lot of the available D64 are not useable at all. A D64 explorer would probably solve these Probs (hard to do i know). Besided that i noticed that a few of the latest released Demos need a true 1541 drive emulation to work proper. Currently this isnt supported. Just to let ya know i case you didnt recknorize yourself.

Besides that its really cool to see the great improvements from Version to Version which gets published. Keep up the good work

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 14:11
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't tested it myself, but you should be able to select the desired D64 and then type 'LOAD"$",8' and 'LIST' with the virtual keyboard. Then type 'LOAD"{filename}",8' and 'RUN'.

You will need to press square to get the shifted versions of some keys.

lastyle
October 9th, 2005, 14:47
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't tested it myself, but you should be able to select the desired D64 and then type 'LOAD"$",8' and 'LIST' with the virtual keyboard. Then type 'LOAD"{filename}",8' and 'RUN'.

You will need to press square to get the shifted versions of some keys.

Hehehhe as i was and still am Part of the C64 scene i knew tat already :)

tried loading the Directory but somehow Shiftlock doesnt work in this Release, so i couldnt check.

But how about implementing F-Key Commands, or attaching CRT images for using e.G. Action Replay Cartridge.

An perfect addition if CRT files are too much work, just add somthing like

Keycommands after Reset.

F1 - load"$",8
F3 - list
F5 - load"*",8,1 (if used in directorylisting, the filename in current selected row)
F7 - run

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 14:59
Seek and ye shall find...

F1 - LOAD
F3 - RUN
F5 - LOAD"
F7 - LOAD"$",8

Agreed that shiftlock isn't implemented yet. It's not necessary though - you can press SQUARE instead of CROSS to simulate a shifted keypress.

ultros
October 9th, 2005, 15:02
first of all thanks a lot for this great emu and your work, of course :)

i tried some games today and some games can't be loaded using the LOAD"*",8,1 command, as mentioned already.
i used to play FRODO a lot on my GP32 and that FRODO-port gives 2 options after attaching a disk image 1) load first program and 2) browser using action replay loader v3.0

this port is open source -> http://gpx2.org/gp32/gpfrodo/

i don't know, if you have a list of games that doesn't work with your port but here are some i like a lot and doesn't work:

- Fort Apokalypse (loads, but strange screen skipping)
- Wings of Fury
- Rainbow Island
- Impossible Mission
- Creatures

thanks again and good luck with this project

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 15:12
Please read what I wrote above. It is possible to load the directory and individual files using the virtual keyboard.

Admittedly, it's not ideal, but it works.

lastyle
October 9th, 2005, 15:30
Oh yep , Keys are already implemented. Didnt check for it before.

So there is just true drive emulation missing from my side. Sure there are some demos using the Boarders but since the speed isnt near to original C64 (u will notice when Prgs use more Rastertime) its not that important anyway actually.

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 15:38
I haven't tried enabling true drive emulation yet. Given that the 1541 contains a 6502 processor (therefore doubling the amount of work required each cycle) I suspect that the emulator will run at less than full speed. I will put it on the list of things to try.

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 15:43
As for games not working/freaking out - please do as the readme says (you did read it?) and test the suspected game using the plain desktop version of Frodo (not SC/PC). If the sound is corrupt, this is already a known problem. If it doesn't work at all in Frodo (e.g. Bruce Lee :( ) then there's not much I can do right now. I'm not maintaining a list yet, but will do when we reach a later version that I am happy with.

radi777
October 9th, 2005, 16:06
GREAT EMU !!!!!
BTW ! The T64. Version of Bruce lee works fine!!!!!!

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 16:11
Where from?!?

We've tried several different version with no luck (crashes after the main menu). Please tell! :)

WiLLiE
October 9th, 2005, 17:36
Well, the first thing I tried were "Crest - Deus Ex Machina"..
Didn't work at all (as I suspected). (yeah, I did the load"$",8, list, load"blabla*",8,1)

The second test was "Crest - Krestage 2".. It starts, and a few parts work (but all the graphics are scrambled)

Guess I'll have to wait for the PSPVice emulator to implement sound.

Great work otherwise though. :)

ataribob
October 9th, 2005, 19:50
PSPVice works better has full screen and save states.

c64PSP v0.2 does not support saves or full screen support.
At least is has sound.

I will stay with PSPVice for now

Philip James
October 9th, 2005, 19:58
Please someone help. I have a Jap 1.00 version psp and cannot get this C64 to work. Can someone please give me a step by step instructions on how to get this emu up and running. thank you

radi777
October 9th, 2005, 21:44
@URCHIN ! Bruce Lee

got the T64 version from Emuasylum. There are 4 files for download Nr. 3 works fine ( the one wif trainer )

urchin
October 9th, 2005, 22:51
radi777, you rock!

I have fond memories of knocking the hell out of that little stick dude :) For anyone else needing a bruce lee fix, the file can be found at emuasylum (http://www.emuasylum.com) and you want the image file ending with FLT. (Be warned though that Bruce Lee used to crash on real C64s!)

oh, and radi777, you rock! ;)

ggizmotigger
October 9th, 2005, 23:02
like to say thankyu urchin for this emu it is awesome i played bruce lee and supremacey my 2 best games on c64 and they both work 100 percent ok

keep fiing the little bugs for other games is well appreciated

ggizmotigger

BazzaLB
October 10th, 2005, 01:12
I haven't found a version of "Impossible Mission" that works with the standard Frodo yet either. Vice runs them fine... To be able to play "Impossible mission" with sound on my PSP with be fantastic...

mute1
October 10th, 2005, 02:26
First I want to says thanks. I've been to this site many times but never felt compelled to register until recently. I just love the idea of a C64 EMU. That being said I've had some problems with some games that I would loave to play again. I'm listing them here so others may see them and maybe point me in the right direction. That being said, I present, the List:

1. Legacy of the Ancients. By far one of the ost addicting I have ever played.

2. The Bard's Tale (all 3). Anyone remember the spell Gotteramudung? I think that was how it was spelled.

3. Neuromancer. Thank you William Gibson!!!!

4. Battletech the Crescent Hawks Inseption. Ah my own Mecha!!

5. AutoDuel. It's like Mad Max baby!!

Anyway, if anyone gets these to run please let me know how in this thread. Cheers!!

han
October 10th, 2005, 05:16
Legacy of the Ancients. By far one of the most addicting I have ever played

Ye mate, awesome and addicting game, pitty though, I was a great fan of this game, its a shame to me though, sometimes some games do not age so graciously as others. I fear this may be one of them. At least my rose tinted glasses did not seem to work with Legacy :(

urchin
October 10th, 2005, 07:30
That sounds like a great new feature to add for v0.3.

Rose tinted screen option ;)

magicruss
October 10th, 2005, 11:29
Woot Bruce lee at last!!! - Urchin, sorry i missed you last night, but i will be on our channel this evening.

Speak to you later.

magic (beta tester for c64psp)

urchin
October 10th, 2005, 11:37
Heh, I was playing it for ages last night. Didn't manage to finish it though! I need more practice :)

jaws
October 10th, 2005, 13:03
THANKS URCHIN!

This is great, I am testing various stuff right now. PSPVice is also nice but i wont stick to anything unlless it has sound! I cant wait to use SIDdussit and John Player on this...

Ok, here are the problems so far:

Exploding fist D64 - karate sounds are not correct
Industrial breakdown/Booze design - does not work at all
Loaded/fairlight - does not work, but it works with Frodo
Last Ninja 1 & 2 D64 - does not work, but works with Frodo

AAAHH, BEST!!!
Jaws/a. k. a. Duck-Hunter/Spaceballs

Kristof
October 10th, 2005, 13:09
Nice release.
Good job !

If you want to include any feature from PSPVice (like fullscreen settings), do not hesitate to take/ask for sourcecode, It would be my honour to give it to you.

urchin
October 10th, 2005, 13:14
Thanks! I'm currently relaxing (even managed to play some games! :) after a hectic week. I'd be happy to chat about all things C64 when I get hacking again.

jaws
October 10th, 2005, 15:06
AAHH!

Last Ninja 1&2 now works, i only had to load manually (not with triangle). When swithing from side A o side B on LN 1 it wont continue loading though.

Greets from Jaws!

viking73
October 10th, 2005, 15:42
please try to include sound on pspvice that has lot of file type supported.... frodo doesnt support tap file instead of vice.... please kristof and urchin join to make both releases perfect... thanks alot and good job! :)

BazzaLB
October 11th, 2005, 00:59
Yeah, would be great to see a combined effort. The standard Frodo (Checked PC version as well as PSP) just wont run "Impossible mission" and has some severe background hiss in "paradroid".

(Unless someone can point me to versions of these games that work with the standard frodo ;) )

Kristof
October 11th, 2005, 12:40
viking73 > A programmer (not me) is working on adding sound on PSPVice (he is in debugging phase), so should be ready soon.

urchin > I'll update lastest sources for next release on my website, so you'll be able to take what you want. I'll be glad to chat about all of that with you.

BazzaLB
October 11th, 2005, 13:23
viking73 > A programmer (not me) is working on adding sound on PSPVice (he is in debugging phase), so should be ready soon.

Brilliant news.. Looking forward to it :D

viking73
October 11th, 2005, 19:34
thanks! great man! :)

BazzaLB
October 18th, 2005, 21:54
Any news on PSPVice? ;)

Gutter Snipe
October 20th, 2005, 15:06
First, I want to thank urchin for all of his hard work. Ex C64 junkies are jonesing for this stuff.

However, I can't seem to get version 0.2 to work. When I unpack the files, I get the two folders like all other emus, the folder names look a little weird. The first one shows up as c64psp______________________1 and the second shows up as c64psp~1%.

This reminds me of when DOS used to abbreviate file names to fit them in 8.3 format. Anyway, when I try to run it, I get the "Game could not be started" message.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I'm on US 1.50 firmware and can get other emus to run.

Revilo
October 20th, 2005, 15:40
First, I want to thank urchin for all of his hard work. Ex C64 junkies are jonesing for this stuff.

However, I can't seem to get version 0.2 to work. When I unpack the files, I get the two folders like all other emus, the folder names look a little weird. The first one shows up as c64psp______________________1 and the second shows up as c64psp~1%.

This reminds me of when DOS used to abbreviate file names to fit them in 8.3 format. Anyway, when I try to run it, I get the "Game could not be started" message.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I'm on US 1.50 firmware and can get other emus to run.

Copy the first folder and then the second folder separately and not both at once. I had the same problem and urchin told me to try this and it worked! :)

Gutter Snipe
October 20th, 2005, 19:02
So you are talking about when you are copying them to the memory stick from your pc? Just copy them one at a time? Ok, I'll give it a shot - thanks =)

* is dying to play Jumpman

urchin
October 20th, 2005, 19:13
I've had this happen occasionally. Copy the c64psp______________________1 folder first and then the c64psp~1% next. The funny naming stops the corrupted data warning icon from appearing.

Gutter Snipe
October 21st, 2005, 14:35
That did the trick! Thanks a lot man.

renegade_si
October 22nd, 2005, 22:20
hi dudes....top emu so far...although I got a few .d64 and .t64 that dont load that do on the pc emus...
I thought it may be the rob hubbard interrupts on the sound samples but no - bmx kidz and iball work fine..... Monty on the run doesnt, not does bionic command (LED storm and other tim follin/software creations does though) nor does wizball or combat school. crzy comets does but mega apocalpyse doesnt - hope that all helps?!

urchin
October 22nd, 2005, 22:39
Try to find different versions. I've had Monty on the Run and Mega Apocalypse working, and I know someone else has been playing Wizball.

BazzaLB
October 23rd, 2005, 08:24
has ANYONE found an "Impossible Mission" or Paradroid to work with c64PSP?

urchin
October 23rd, 2005, 09:52
I've had Paradroid working. Probably from c64unlimited.net.

BazzaLB
October 23rd, 2005, 10:02
Paradroid works (from c64unlimited.net) , however there is a large amount of hiss in the background.. Same thing happens with Frodo though.

Not to worry.. perhaps PSPVice with sound will come along shortly..

Until then, I'm enjoying M.U.L.E with c64PSP.

urchin
October 23rd, 2005, 18:35
Or perhaps the next release of c64psp will have improved sound?

Who knows?... ;)

ultros
October 23rd, 2005, 18:50
i remember the paradroid sound problem also happened in the GP32 frodo-port. so i guess it's a frodo problem :(
and fort apokalypse isn't working, too. too bad. the game loads and starts ok, but you can't land on the first fuel-platform. there's something like up/down skipping distortion.

or did anyone found a working version of Fort Apokalypse yet?

urchin
October 24th, 2005, 00:55
Holy Moly! How cool is the music to Space Harrier?!

Rob Hubbard is by far my favourite musician, but I'd forgotten how much this tune kicks arse! :D

ataribob
October 24th, 2005, 02:06
Any way you can make it full screen like VicePsp.
At least that one plays full screen but no sound

vincesecuricor2005
October 24th, 2005, 20:20
anyone know some cool places to get roms you can email me if u want cheers in advance

fred
November 9th, 2005, 18:14
is the emulator not working on EU models? i did also the trick told to Gutter Snipe, but i see a c64 like bitmap and a text like not working, currupt data.

thnx

urchin
November 9th, 2005, 19:00
I've not heard any other reports of it not working on EU models, but I've got a US version, so I can't be definite.

Any successful EU users here?

fred
November 10th, 2005, 12:45
hi again,

that with the funny bitmap (looks like the old days..:-) was with osx with my mac, now with a windows download i get the familiar c64 background but again the text: "This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted."...:-(

so there is a difference downloading on mac or pc.

i have 2.0 on my eu psp, maybe thats the problem?

any eu users with problems?

thnx

fred

urchin
November 10th, 2005, 12:53
I've had no reports of c64psp working properly on 2.0. I know someone on the fanjita's eboot thread has tried it, but had problems finding/loading games.

I'm hoping to get the next release to work properly with the eboot loader on 2.0 :)

Topknot
November 10th, 2005, 13:33
I'll move my reply in here as its more C64 related than the eboot loader...

Whoa! I'm amazed it gets this far! I'm working to make the next release of c64psp compatible.

Just one idea - have you put the games in /PSP/C64ROMS? It won't find the games if you put them in the emulator folder.

I'll give this a try right now. My fault really, I forgot that I needed to put all the roms in that directory (doh) :rolleyes:

I threw TONS of games on there and thought maybe that was the problem. I'm hoping it works as although VICE is a nice emulator with fullscreen support etc, I prefer C64PSP as I can listen to the quality music on the games :)

EDIT: Tested, I can confirm it works on US v2.0 firmware using fanjita's 0.8 eboot loader. Thanks for the reminder about the ROMS folder urchin.

urchin
November 10th, 2005, 18:26
That's great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Scampi
November 10th, 2005, 22:53
Hi Urchin,

thanks soooo much for a C64 Emu - I've been waiting for this since the PSP came out :)

I can confirm I have it working with my version 2.0 UK PSP and the fanjita 0.8 eboot loader! It doesn't however seem to run all the games but that's hardly suprising at this relatively early stage (having said that though for such an early version it's really easy to use). I've just been playing Outrun, CJ's elephant antics, etc. Can anyone tell me if there is a list of games that are known to be working out there as I can never tell whether it's the emulator that's the problem or the disk/tape image.

Cheers and congrats again!

Scampi

urchin
November 10th, 2005, 23:51
Great news about 2.0 :)

As for games compatibility, the best way to check is to test the game against a desktop version of Frodo (just the normal one, not FrodoPC or FrodoSC).

Glad you like the ease of use - usability is one of c64psp's main goals. Once we get to the sacred 1.0 version, I think a list of compatible games will be very handy, but at the moment, things are changing so much between versions to make it worthwhile.

magicruss
November 11th, 2005, 14:36
wow - great news about V2.0.

I am currently working on a working/non working titles list as there are still some problems with specific titles, but as Urchin said things are changing every day so i have left it alone for now. Urchin has been working very hard on getting the existing functions working perfectly (especially the sound) and is making fantastic progress with new improvements.

now 2.0 users can use the emu, it should spread like wildfire!

Magic
C64psp team

Sektor
November 21st, 2005, 15:02
Well done. Now I can play the C64 version of Jumpman wherever I go! Tested on an Australian 2.0 PSP with eboot loader v0.8.

Crips
November 23rd, 2005, 17:28
I'm trying to use your c64 emulator, and it loads, but ANY rom I load on it locks it up or resets it. I've tried 7 different versions of Impossible Mission, 5 versions of Impossible Mission II, and several copies of Raid Over Moscow. Are there any likely problems that might cause this? I'm using a US 1.50 PSP. If you think of anything, please email me at Ripken38 (at) hotmail (dot) com. Thanks so much!

urchin
November 23rd, 2005, 21:17
I think you may be just having bad luck with the particular games you have chosen. Not all games work, and unfortunately, Impossible Mission is one of those.

Crips
November 23rd, 2005, 22:43
Thanks for the reply! Also unfortunately, there were three staple games that made me LOVE the C64...IM, IM 2, and, you guessed it, Raid Over Moscow. If you can get those to work, I'll find an uberhawt woman to have your baby. :P

magicruss
December 1st, 2005, 15:06
I have tested Raid over Moscow and i works fine.

You can grab it from C64.com

You may have a tape version that does not work???

You may find the next release may sort it?

SmashinGit
December 6th, 2005, 22:14
Thanks for the update, and thanks for all your hard work.

Crips
December 9th, 2005, 09:23
If the next release fixes the Impossible Mission bugs, I'll love you forever! In a masculine, heterosexual way, of course. :P Thanks for the hard work though! Some games working is far better than no games working, and it's the first time ever I've been able to play some old C64 games on the go! I'm playing old games on my PSP in the breakroom at the casino and other dealers are like "Wow! How did you get that game on there!?!" and I'm like "My boy Urchin hooked it up." ;)

Topknot
December 9th, 2005, 10:27
If the next release fixes the Impossible Mission bugs.... <snip>

I have working versions of Impossible Mission and IM2 (doesnt play the classic "stay a while.... stay forever!" line on load though :( ). They may well have come from C64 unlimited but I cant be sure of that...

I had a few non-working games but found good versions of them eventually, Mancopter and Little Computer People were the toughest for me to find working versions of.

I think I had problems with Kane aswell but thats working fine now.

magicruss
December 9th, 2005, 11:20
PM Topknot!!

Well done on finding the working titles, this will help us alot....

Jman0708
December 9th, 2005, 14:32
gooooood

Topknot
December 12th, 2005, 09:12
PM Topknot!!

Well done on finding the working titles, this will help us alot....

Ack... sorry to get peoples hopes up on this. I've checked my files and I dont have a working version :(

I have one IM that loads past the intro screen but crashes as soon as you appear in the elevator, and an IM2 that partially loads but resets the emulator.

Again, sorry all, I'd only loaded IM as far as the title screen before :rolleyes:

magicruss
December 12th, 2005, 10:55
That's bad luck Topknot but a good effort on your part - but i have had some success and found a perfectly working copy of the last ninja1, it works flawlessly with c64psp and also a version of Elite the loads fine although there is a problem with the controls at the moment.

I'm sure that more are to come and i will keep you posted as i find new working versions.

viking73
December 12th, 2005, 17:13
actually the various version of IM work only on pspvice... so until they wont work on c64psp you need to use the other emu that is still instable but is in good progress and hope soon to be perfect as c64psp! :)

koekie
December 14th, 2005, 19:53
Hello all!

I use Eboot loader v0.8.5
copied the files from c64psp.zip (v0.2) to root of my psp.
it creates two strange folders c64psp_________________1 and c64psp%
I've put some romfiles in /PSP/C64ROMS not sure if this location is correct though.

anyway when in the menu loader, I can select and run a file with weird characters in the name. I run this and it shows me a for a second a black screen with info on the eboot loader and then returns me to the menu loader. :confused:

don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm convinced it should work.

I have a european v2.0 psp

Many thanks for helping me out.

Cheers,
koekie

urchin
December 14th, 2005, 23:08
Hiya!

I've not tested on 2.0, but we've had reports that it works with eboot loader. It sounds like your c64 folders might be in the wrong place, as you mentioned you put the files from the zip in the root folder. They should go /PSP/GAME/, so that you end up with:

/PSP/GAME/c64psp_________________________1/
/PSP/GAME/c64psp~1%/

/PSP/C64ROMS is the correct place for game images though. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Topknot
December 15th, 2005, 11:05
Hello all!

I use Eboot loader v0.8.5
copied the files from c64psp.zip (v0.2) to root of my psp.
it creates two strange folders c64psp_________________1 and c64psp%
I've put some romfiles in /PSP/C64ROMS not sure if this location is correct though.

Get rid of the folder with the % sign, rename the other to just c64psp, no extra characters, place it in /PSP/GAME and you should be up and running.

No need for the % folders with the 0.8.5 eboot loader. In fact if you can get hold of the 1.0 eboot for the homebrew/emulator you want, use that. I've recently had problems running homebrew on the newest loader, replaced all the folders with the 1.0 eboot versions where I could and deleted the % folders where I couldnt and now everything works fine.

So far this site has been the best source of eboots I have found, most of the other sites tend to list the 1.5 kxploit eboots.

koekie
December 15th, 2005, 22:34
Thank you topknot and urchin!!

It's working now!!

indeed renaming the folder from c64psp~1%/ to c64psp solved the issue :D

I can play manic miner now like cray :p

Cheers,
koekie

urchin
December 16th, 2005, 08:27
Great!

Looks like I need to add some instructions for 2.0 users :)

urchin
December 23rd, 2005, 19:31
As there is a brand new shiny xmas version of c64psp out, I'm closing this thread to keep all the conversation in one place in the c64psp v0.3 thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15785)