PDA

View Full Version : XrickDS 1.5

wraggster
May 17th, 2008, 14:56
News/release from Alekmaul (http://www.dev-fr.org/tests/(testnds)-xrickds-1-5)

I still remember the cinema where I saw the first film of the series in the early 80's, I was still young (if so) and it was the first time I saw such a film where the hero gets traps, but everything is still doing whenever, in short, the James Bond of archaeology!

Also in this period after the last episode of Indiana Jones, I just had to tell you about this game, named Rick Dangerous, which was a kind of bomb when it was released. This game, well known for its extreme difficulty, especially in the second level, has been adapted on many machines.

The video game was developed by Core Design and published by Rainbird Software in 1989. It is in fact the first real success of Core Design (you know, they did Lara Croft then), adapted to the machinery of the time: 500 Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, the PC and the ZX Spectrum.
The game has acquired a cult status and many versions amateurs whose xrick from which GPF made the DS version, have emerged thereafter (there is even a Flash version and a PC version of the game in 32Ko o_O).

xrick DS 1.5

Sheet
Name: xrickDS
Author: Troy Davis (GPF)
Genre: Arcade
Released: 26/09/2006
Price: 0 €
Sources: YES
Multi: NO
Saves: NO
Official Site: xrick
Site of the author: GPF `s Development Site

Principle of the game and installation

It is a game platforms graphic "cartoon" in which the player Rick Dangerous, short Indiana Jones in search of the lost tribe of Goolus in the Amazon. But his plane crashed, and that is where the game begins. The action takes place in 1945.
Some say that the game was inspired by a game developed on Apple] [, appointed Aztek, Thursday exploration level, as Rick Dangerous, in the same universe bush, Inca and other

There is broad levels 4 to pass:
1. South America
2. Egypt
3. Schwarzendumpf Castle
4. Missile Base

The player moves with the pad and uses the key FIRE + + Fire Up or Down to, respectively, shoot or put a dynamite. One difficulty of the game is just to understand this key combination, in order not to unnecessarily lose ammunition. But once the keys well treated, it is a flawless gameplay, which allows to move our hero!

Audio-Visual
It's very nice, the graphics are colourful. It is just a shame that the palette used in this DS version is a bit dull (but I would reserve a surprise at the end of this test.

The adaptation DS did not suffer too unlike screen compared to the PC (320x200) because you have to know that the game was centered for use only 256x200 resolution, in short, almost resolution the DS.

The tunes are rippées compared to the original versions and are therefore quite good, although its 8-bit mono.

Conclusion

Rick Dangerous is a great arcade game / exploration you scotchera hours in front of your DS. Like many soft at the time, is a drug when you start to play because you always want to see, explore and arrive at the end.
The graphics, style comics, are very pleasant and the music, my faith, very nice for the time.
That is what we ask?

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

djkoelkast
May 18th, 2008, 00:48
I love it a lot, but the music... Can I help you with some original Amiga samples so you can maybe add them to the game?

alekmaul
May 18th, 2008, 06:37
Well, i don't know why wraggster did a news about xrick 1.5, it's not a new version, it is just a test that i made for http://www.dev-fr.org (and a poor translation from google, isn't it wraggster ;) ?)....
You can find the test in french here : http://www.dev-fr.org/tests/(testnds)-xrickds-1-5/

I also did a new version that you can find here : http://www.dev-fr.org/ressources/Images/alekmaul/xrickds/XrickDS_ALEKMAUL.zip

And yes, of course, if you have samples, musics from the amiga version, i will like to add them to my version :) !
You can contact me on msn at [email protected] or with mail (same email adress).
You can find all the sounds/musics in the data directory from xrick (http://www.bigorno.net/xrick/xrick-021212.zip)

paul3100
May 18th, 2008, 08:30
I also love this game but its BL**DY hard lol

I know its only a test alekmaul but could you apart from the amiga sample music make a switch off for the bottom screen and a save state :-)

Excellent to see this sort of game brought to life once again on the DS , Don't know where the DS scene would be with out you man

cheers, paul

Sir_Voe
May 18th, 2008, 08:55
Seems to be set on infinite ammo, which I'm sure takes away some of the challenge. Having fun with it anyways though. Thanks for introducing me to this game, and bringing it to the DS.

paul3100
May 18th, 2008, 09:59
Seems to be set on infinite ammo, which I'm sure takes away some of the challenge. Having fun with it anyways though. Thanks for introducing me to this game, and bringing it to the DS.

And if you press the left shoulder button it gives you invincibility from all those nasties, TBH sir_voe having info ammo is a good thing for this game as its almost impossible to complete other wise .

paul

Sir_Voe
May 18th, 2008, 21:16
And if you press the left shoulder button it gives you invincibility from all those nasties, TBH sir_voe having info ammo is a good thing for this game as its almost impossible to complete other wise .

paul

I can imagine (still haven't beaten the 1st level), but I still hope for it as an option as it seems to be a major element of the original gameplay.

djkoelkast
May 18th, 2008, 23:26
I'm busy with the Amiga samples, I already have some made but some I can't directly identify so I'll contact alekmaul through msn for solving this sound issues and who knows we'll get a new version with new sound :D

cYb0n
May 19th, 2008, 14:15
Which version to download? The 1.5 of the main post or alekmaul's in the reply? Dunno :P

paul3100
May 20th, 2008, 22:07
I'm busy with the Amiga samples, I already have some made but some I can't directly identify so I'll contact alekmaul through msn for solving this sound issues and who knows we'll get a new version with new sound

Sounds Good djkoelkast or it should by next version lol , but please some sort of save/continue function if thats possible.

paul

Sir_Voe
May 20th, 2008, 22:17
Sounds Good djkoelkast or it should by next version lol , but please some sort of save/continue function if thats possible.

paul

The 1.6 version alekmaul posted has save/load states.

paul3100
May 21st, 2008, 21:43
The 1.6 version alekmaul posted has save/load states.

Nice one got it, just wondering is the pc version thats on the DS supposed to look buggy compared to the ST version which looks normal?

paul