PDA

View Full Version : DCEmu Spain. France German etc

wraggster
May 17th, 2008, 16:26
A while ago i was asked about creating subsites of DCEmu and maybe the odd discussion forum to go with them of different languages, most likely Spanish, French, German, Chinese and even Japanese. of course being english and crap at other languages i wouldnt get involved but it would be interesting to have a Homebrew news site posting in different languages to the main dcemu sites.

thoughts on this ?

Da_ALC
May 17th, 2008, 16:53
I think have the news in dif languages is a great idea, but i think if we have the forums in multiple languages its going to get messy looking for things.. and people will no doubt start posting things in wrong places n such.

JKKDARK
May 17th, 2008, 16:57
Too many sections, I don't like the idea.

orochi-x
May 17th, 2008, 17:40
It depends on a few things really. Getting reliable staff would be one thing to consider.

This subject is raised quite frequently in the OpenBoR community.

We decided to listen to the userbase and made an appeal for foreign speakers to act as moderators to thier respective sub-forums.

Not one person out of the 1000's who asked for the sub-forums even applied.

icecoolwas
May 17th, 2008, 17:42
no offence to anyone, (Im Spanish myself) But Sub domains is just a joke, English is a international language about 90% of the world knows it so whats the point? theres people who for some reason speak spanish when they actually know english very well, which i think is pointless.

scrap the idea, it'l ruin the site

newb_fo_life
May 17th, 2008, 17:46
Its a good idea because it will attract more people to the dcemu forums and websites

icecoolwas
May 17th, 2008, 17:49
*Cough* not like they already know english if they didnt they would'nt even be on the internet.

Its a good idea because it will attract more people to the dcemu forums and websites

Maturion
May 17th, 2008, 21:10
We are working on a Relaunch of the biggest German DC site. We should better support sites like DC-France or DCiberia/Dreamcast.es (and DC-Germany very soon).

Shrygue
May 17th, 2008, 21:19
Subsites of DCEmu for different languages? That just won't work, it would be too much to maintain. Best just keep it as English or otherwise, in a way, it wound't be much point calling this site as DCEmu UK as it'd be in a different language. Plus, we have more than enough sections as of now anway.

ron
May 17th, 2008, 21:41
Wraggs, as you know we have been running since 2004 basically the same developments and news, each site in their language and their own way.

If given that leap to cover the range of languages, the work is going to multiply as saying by the thread comments will make it difficult to manage.

With the imminent opening in German by Maturion just have to find staff willing to cover the French.

It is my opinion, for the moment I do not see the need.

newb_fo_life
May 17th, 2008, 22:05
Hes crafty I see the new languages :D

jak2806
May 17th, 2008, 22:50
Hi everyone.

I think it's could be a good idea. Even if a lot of people can understand english, someone can't and it's always more interesting to read in your own language. If the site to get messy , think it can be good.
Anyway if you want some help on this, i can try to help you.
Actually i'm French, but living in L.A and speaking fluent Japanese (reading, writting, understanding of Katakana, Hiragana, Kanji).
My japanese is better than my english....
I don't know if i will be able to work a lot of hour but i will do the best the time i have.

Vincent

|darc|
May 18th, 2008, 01:58
I don't really see much of a point. There's no hole to fill here--sites already exist covering the DC scene in many languages, and they can cover the sites much better than anyone in the English scene can.

Such a thing is also really too hard to maintain. If you remember, years ago at DCEmu we had an international forum, and it was later discovered that the multilingual mods were peddling warez in the international forum behind the English mods' backs. If you can't communicate properly with your staff and the main admins, who mostly/all only speak English, cannot read one of the forums on their site, it creates a liability.

It could make sense for other scenes, but of all the scenes to cover multilingually, I think the Dreamcast scene is the worst, because it's already covered so well by others.

wraggster
May 18th, 2008, 09:48
yeah which is why i posted to get general idea of whats the thoughts.

What i really want is some script that actually outputs our news on each subsite of dcemu in languages that we need to cover. for a temp thing ive added the translate bar so that at least some who struggle can translate in a fashion the news.

thanks for your opinions :)

ron
May 18th, 2008, 11:35
The engines of web translators are not so accurate, sometimes I had read the automatic translations and texts looses their meaning.

There's nothing like a personal translation made by a person with knowlegde about the text to translate. Anybody can make an effort to understand perfectly the translated matter, but we have to be practical and say that to find enough time to do this is a great problem.

On the other hand, if the desire to open small branches of DCEmu with local languages is a real need, then we must think more carefully about it.

Personally I am delighted to know that everyone can read my blog in their own language using automatic translators, as well as the contents of Dreamcast.es.

In order to understand perfectly what we are trying to convey, the reader must have sufficient basis to interpret what the text wants to mean. This is not easy because not all users are adept at scene or emulation and not everyone is really interested in this.

In conclusion, adding that the Dreamcast scene is not happening one of its best moments in terms of popular support. Too many consoles and systems on the market and many have lost interest in the white Sega.

While we continue to fight and defend our dreamcast and continues to maintain the interest, we can say that we have been able to realize our desire.

Thx