PDA

View Full Version : Hackers release downgrade patch for PSP v2.00

wraggster
September 28th, 2005, 18:06
The Gaming Press react to the PSP V2.0 Downgrader, this from GI.Biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11844):

In a further blow to Sony's efforts to curb the use of homebrew software and pirate games on the PlayStation Portable, hackers last night released a patch for the recently launched v2.00 firmware which allows it to be downgraded back to v1.50.

That, you may recall, is the last version to have the security loophole which allowed users to launch unauthorised third-party applications - including homebrew games and programs, emulators, and pirated games - off their Memory Sticks.

Until now, users who had bought PSPs recently with v1.52 firmware on them, or who had upgraded their systems to v2.00 (a patch which brought with it a host of new functionality, such as a web browser, wireless photo sharing and the ability to set custom wallpapers), were unable to revert their systems to the older, less secure system.

However, utilising the security loophole in the PSP v2.00 wallpaper system which we reported yesterday, a group of hackers have made it possible to downgrade - and posted the details of their exploits to the Internet, causing a surge of interest which knocked several popular PSP information sites off the 'net last night.

The exploit is not for the faint-hearted - as it involves several hard resets of the PSP and at one point, a message reporting that the firmware update has failed and SCE support needs to be contacted - but has been reported as successfully working on a variety of PSP hardware including Japanese, US and European units.

The ball is now firmly in Sony's court, with the company facing once again the prospect of piracy on its new system - expect to see a revised version of the v2.00 firmware which seals up the wallpaper exploit in the near future. What will be interesting to see is if the company offers any incentives to upgrade to this new version, as it did with the web browser and other features in v2.00.

(what a day for the PSP scene :))

ShinSean
September 28th, 2005, 18:21
just like to say that whoever was in charge of patching up the 2.0 firmware got pwn3d bigtime. I bet all the big $ reps are taking turns beating the %$#@ out of him right now :D

pkmusicmaker
September 28th, 2005, 18:35
The funny thing about all this is it's forcing Sony to keep giving us new features. Without homebrew, we might not have even gotten 2.0 yet. Good job keepin Sony on their toes.

jimjamjahaa
September 28th, 2005, 19:26
just like to say that whoever was in charge of patching up the 2.0 firmware got pwn3d bigtime. I bet all the big $ reps are taking turns beating the %$#@ out of him right now

lol so true. totally f***in pwned

The funny thing about all this is it's forcing Sony to keep giving us new features. Without homebrew, we might not have even gotten 2.0 yet. Good job keepin Sony on their toes.
a vaild insight.

all i can say is just let sony try and tempt me! hah! this time they cant force it on me by giving me a psp with 1.52 already installed.
/holds middle finger up to sony

i honestly dont understand why they dont allow homebrew. their sales would go through the roof if they actually supported it, released information about wifi etc. can you imagine? [/dreaming]

Stew2000
September 28th, 2005, 20:29
just like to say that whoever was in charge of patching up the 2.0 firmware got pwn3d bigtime. I bet all the big $ reps are taking turns beating the %$#@ out of him right now :D
He or She ;) must be in a huge pool of blood on the floor now!

pepsolman
September 28th, 2005, 23:32
Yeah... i'm sure there will be a 2.5 or 3.0 by the time GTA comes out.

The only problem will be is if we will be able to play that game without upgrading or if will be possible to downgrade from the next level after they fix the wallpaper exploit.

Everyone is gonna want liberty city stories for their psp... so I know they are gonna have some nice tricks up their sleeves.

So lets get ready for the next round of battle!!!! YEEE HAAAWW!!

Datahax
September 29th, 2005, 05:09
lol so true. totally f***in pwned

a vaild insight.

all i can say is just let sony try and tempt me! hah! this time they cant force it on me by giving me a psp with 1.52 already installed.
/holds middle finger up to sony

i honestly dont understand why they dont allow homebrew. their sales would go through the roof if they actually supported it, released information about wifi etc. can you imagine? [/dreaming]

It's quite obvious why they don't allow homebrew. There are plenty of reasons.

1. If they did that fewer people would buy their games

2. It paves the way for piracy (which is the biggest prob)

3. Companies that make games for them won't want to because they'll know it'll just get pirated/people won't buy them because they'll be playing older version on emulators (Read about that somewhere a while back some company had that issue)

4. It gives Sony a bad reputation of supporting pirates and hackers

5. It'd take the fun and challenge out of finding security exploits XD

6. Companies such as Nintendo will be pissed at them because they're losing money to another console. (C'mon GBA Emu!)

Here's some food for thought though, perhaps someone on the team is leaving these exploits around for one reason or another? Maybe they support homebrew? Who knows.....somehow I find it hard to swallow that such a huge company can make such huge mistakes when they've been having trouble with the problem in the past. You'd think they'd take every measure to fix it, well maybe they're just friggin morons. All I know is......sucks to be them right now.