PDA

View Full Version : Quake for iPhone News

wraggster
May 23rd, 2008, 22:03
Peter M posted this a few weeks ago on his site:

Yet again I succumbed to hand-held gadget lust and bought another device, this time an iPod touch.

I started work on a port of Quake to the device and have made a bit of progress. I’m just doing software rendering at the moment, which is then drawn to the screen using an OpenGL ES texture. That seems like a really ham-fisted way of doing it, but I couldn’t find any docs or examples on the web which just gave access to a linear frame buffer of sorts.

The way I’m accessing OpenGL ES seems to bypass the windowing system and causes some flicker when the clock and battery level display at the top of the screen is updated, but as the unofficial SDK doesn’t offer the same header files as the official one (and I have no access to a Mac to use the official SDK), I don’t really want to work on a hardware rendering version right now. I’d much rather get a frame buffer sorted out which can hopefully integrate more nicely with the windowing system.

I’m kind of busy with exam revision right now so I don’t really have the time to investigate a better solution. Hopefully I’ll get some free time this month or next to sort it out!

I was chatting a bit with Chris in work about input methods for moving, turning and shooting and we come up with some interesting ideas. Hopefully Quake will be a little more easily playable than some of the iPhone games which have a virtual controller on screen. We’ll see!

http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/working-on-quake-for-iphone/