PDA

View Full Version : I'm bored, what's new?

PSmonkey
May 25th, 2008, 02:00
I'm bored, what's new?

I've kind of been away from dcemu for a while now. Work keeps me busy quite a bit. I'm kind of sad to see how psp hombrew is not going anywhere still. =(

Ubidays is comming soon, looking forward to seeing the game i've been working on to be shown/anounced. I wont say which one it is yet.

As for gaming, i'm currently getting addicted to monster hunter 2. I'm like uber late to the party on that one (not sure why I did not give it a shot before). I'm also somewhat trying to play persona 3 fes but when I barely get an hour (or none) into console gaming it does not get me far into the game. =/

As for coding, i'm working on a small engine that I started months ago. It's far from doing much but it's slowly getting there and is somewhat duel compatible PC/PSP (makes working easier) but I need to get the PSP version cought up. If I get something going i'll have to post test pictures for fun.

So what is everybody else up to? I'm currious!

ICE
May 25th, 2008, 02:28
Are we getting some "Nintendo-like quality" at ubidays?

PSmonkey
May 25th, 2008, 02:43
Are we getting some "Nintendo-like quality" at ubidays?

Maybe, It sure as hell is no farcry wii or shovelware game.

Maybe an 8.0+. So it could potentialy be the better wii game there. There should be a few decent wii games (not sure what all is being shown).

PSmonkey
May 25th, 2008, 20:20
keeping with the bordom, I end up staying up till 4am last night to finish off the work on my mesh loader. It works well but already I can see some changes I will need to make (didn't think of indicy support last night, doe).

I posted some screenshots below for fun.

Man I wish I had a texture artist and modler to work with for kicks. Would be cool to just throw random crap together to help further the engine.

pibs
May 26th, 2008, 03:28
Man I wish I had a texture artist and modler to work with for kicks. Would be cool to just throw random crap together to help further the engine.

Try to get in contact with ganondorf, he is great at that stuff. Hopefully he is available.

PSmonkey
May 26th, 2008, 05:18
To add some music to this topic. Here is some stuff i've been listening to recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAf56dP2tDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-4WGrw4El8

Try to get in contact with ganondorf, he is great at that stuff. Hopefully he is available.

Thanks for the info but I will have to pass. I'm just more thinking aloud. Specialy again since i'm not posting anything still. It was just saying it would be nice to get someone eventualy who does not mind doing stuff for the hell of it.

PSmonkey
May 28th, 2008, 17:07
YaY, Yesterday was my gf's graduation ceremony. So my gf is now a graduate of McGill University. Man I feel kind of dumb now since I only have a High School Diploma but I guess it's alright since I have 6 years of industry experience to counter balance it. :P

Oh on an art front. An old friend who I worked with at my previous job is bored and looking to do some stuff. So I might get to pull a cool mini game to push my engine work. =)

ICE
May 28th, 2008, 17:09
Maybe, It sure as hell is no farcry wii or shovelware game.

Maybe an 8.0+. So it could potentialy be the better wii game there. There should be a few decent wii games (not sure what all is being shown).

If you're wrong I am holding you personally responsible.

On a side note you work for Ubi?

Shadowblind
May 28th, 2008, 17:12
Whats new? Ninja Gaiden II on the 3rd...Tales of Vesperia was delayed....Shenmue III was randomly listed as a 360 game on IGN...

PSmonkey
May 28th, 2008, 18:18
If you're wrong I am holding you personally responsible.

On a side note you work for Ubi?

Oui, I anounced that a while back when I felt the dust finaly cleared. :)

Actualy to be specific i work at ubi Montreal.

ICE
May 29th, 2008, 02:53
Oui, I anounced that a while back when I felt the dust finaly cleared. :)

Actualy to be specific i work at ubi Montreal.

Yeah I think I remember now that I think about it. Thats pretty awesome. What sort of work do you do there?

PSmonkey
May 29th, 2008, 04:58
All over the place really.

Started in engine dev, pj was canned so i went on to gameplay of a new game, from there swapped to the psp version, did gameplay and menus, now swapped to another part of the same project while also still doing some gameplay coding. Looking forward to when this game is done because i've been at ubi for almost 2 years with no shipped games. :(

ICE
May 29th, 2008, 05:17
Thats great man. I hope it gets released too. Is it an unannounced game you're currently on? If so let us know which is yours when its announced so I can be sure to keep an eye on it!

yaustar
May 29th, 2008, 19:17
All over the place really.

Started in engine dev, pj was canned so i went on to gameplay of a new game, from there swapped to the psp version, did gameplay and menus, now swapped to another part of the same project while also still doing some gameplay coding. Looking forward to when this game is done because i've been at ubi for almost 2 years with no shipped games. :(
Never good when that happens. It gets worse when the project really crunches despite the length of time they had to develop in the first place.

PSmonkey
May 31st, 2008, 03:48
Ugg, the game i'm on was sort of not anounced. Well the main game was but not specificly the platform im on (which is a totaly different game). So sadly I'm best to keep quiet a little longer. :(

Glad to see what came out of farcry 2 (pc & ps3). I know a few people on that game. As well it seems news sites took a liking to shaun white wii (while stupid wii fans could not stop bitching long enough to not ignore it), I also know quite a few people on that one. It's quite lovely from what i've seen.

ICE
May 31st, 2008, 05:56
Hmm, you better keep quite on it then. Wouldn't want you to get fired or anything lol.

The Shaun White game looks ok I guess. Then again I think at this point any Wii game using the balance board will be golden lol. I just hope its deservingly so though..

PSmonkey
May 31st, 2008, 18:51
IGN Had pretty favorable preview of it. As well a guy on the review crew for gametrailers prefered it over the NG game.

I just think the shots don't really show off the game. A site has some gameplay footage up (forgot which one).

-- edit --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dHH_MHvwJ8
here is one

PSmonkey
June 2nd, 2008, 18:09
Weeeeee.

I hacked up a cheap exporter for milkshape over the weekend. I say cheap since I took their txt export sample and modified it. Plus it does not properly link to materials just yet. =/ Also even worse it generates only triangles (even tho my file format supports tri fans and tri strips). I need to look into how I can convert a mesh to strips.

Further I did the small changes I needed to get the PSP version cought up and it actualy works. Only issue now is my system timer seems broken since I can't move/scale/rotate my model (exit button works so I know input is not broken). I'll have to fix that tonight and post some shots. Kind of cool to start seeing this thing progress (i've been working on it off and on for a few months slowly).

-- edit --

I forgot to add, This week Lego Indy & Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 are out. I'm on the fence for which I should get. I am leaning twards Indy but it's $40 (posibly jacked to $45 in canada) and I fear it might not be as great as lego starwars (even tho I love indy over starwars). Hotshots is $30 and while I am not a fan of HSGP1, I quite enjoy the two demos for the new one but again, no freaking advance shot pisses me off (I loved it in HSG5).

PSmonkey
June 3rd, 2008, 04:25
while i'm bored and tweaking a few issues between my psp and ogl version, i decided to take a few quick snaps.

Nothing impressive (only used him since it's the first model I could find on my pc). I should try pushing something more complex then a md2 model.

ICE
June 3rd, 2008, 05:12
Hmm the Shaun White game looks better then I expected. I'll watch for a review I think. Oh and Lego Indy on PSP is decent. Feels a bit repetitive at times but its pretty fun. Polished I would say. Lots of good features here and there that impressed me but not enough variation.

Shadowblind
June 3rd, 2008, 05:27
Whats new?

Ninja Gaiden II is out tommarow. Anyone who aren't panseys with 360s will get it.

By pansey I mean someone who can't take the furious combat. Someone who would rather fall back on something easy. Anyone who simply can't be fast....

Are you a pansey or a ninja? WELL?!

PSmonkey
June 3rd, 2008, 12:51
Whats new?

Ninja Gaiden II is out tommarow. Anyone who aren't panseys with 360s will get it.

By pansey I mean someone who can't take the furious combat. Someone who would rather fall back on something easy. Anyone who simply can't be fast....

Are you a pansey or a ninja? WELL?!

Pansey since i'm trying to ditch my 360. I fear it will ultimately RROD on me so I might as well sell it off.

Shadowblind
June 3rd, 2008, 13:25
Pansey since i'm trying to ditch my 360. I fear it will ultimately RROD on me so I might as well sell it off.

Pft. Thats what 3 year warranties are for.

Malksta
June 3rd, 2008, 15:59
MGS4 released in nine days, all I need to say.

PSmonkey
June 3rd, 2008, 18:50
Pft. Thats what 3 year warranties are for.

My 360 is from japan. So it's a hit or miss situation (some people have been able to replace broken jpn unit from usa and some have not).

I don't play mine anyways so might as well get a little cash from it.

Shadowblind
June 3rd, 2008, 18:54
My 360 is from japan. So it's a hit or miss situation (some people have been able to replace broken jpn unit from usa and some have not).

Sell it and get a US or Euro 360. Then get TF2 and wage all out color-spectrum war spanning between 2 of the greatest colors ever to exist.

Or get TH when it comes out. They iz both good ideaz.

PSmonkey
June 4th, 2008, 02:06
Sell it and get a US or Euro 360. Then get TF2 and wage all out color-spectrum war spanning between 2 of the greatest colors ever to exist.

Or get TH when it comes out. They iz both good ideaz.

th?

if TF2 = Team Fortress 2, then I can just play it on my ps3. :P

Shadowblind
June 4th, 2008, 03:33
th?

if TF2 = Team Fortress 2, then I can just play it on my ps3. :P

TH = Too human. Its starting to actually look quite good.

TF2 indeed, but over PSN and not XBL, so we cannot fight :/ and without communication and with a bit more connection issues.

Eviltaco64
June 4th, 2008, 05:06

Why a Japanese 360? I could understand a Jap PS3 or Wii but I heard 360 sucks over there.

Shadowblind
June 4th, 2008, 05:36
Good lord...Ninja Gaiden II is amazing. This is the fastest action game I've ever played....look for a review later, but I've gotta get back on it

pibs
June 4th, 2008, 07:44
Good lord...Ninja Gaiden II is amazing. This is the fastest action game I've ever played....look for a review later, but I've gotta get back on it

Ha I was just going to ask you about it, saw you playing it.

so far is it purchase or rent?

PSmonkey
June 4th, 2008, 14:27
Why a Japanese 360? I could understand a Jap PS3 or Wii but I heard 360 sucks over there.

Well when the 360 came out it was a mad rush to try buying one in north america. Japan was fully stocked and thinking about it, Asian games tend to retail for $40 vs $60 USD (at the time canadian games were jacked up a bit more due to conversion rate, $70-$75 retail CND when games were $67 CND with exchange rate).

So far the unit has been solid and has given me zero problems (hell i've even played some dead rising on it). I now just don't care to play it anymore (I barely even play my ps3). 90-99% of my gaming time is spent on PSP. :P

Shadowblind
June 4th, 2008, 17:14
Ha I was just going to ask you about it, saw you playing it.

so far is it purchase or rent?

Purchase, and its easily one the best 2 hours of my life yet. The game is intense and action packed; so far I've never played another game like it, though it is a bit of a button masher :thumbup: I haven't died yet, but I'll grant its hard(Im playing on the hardest mode that I can right now). But unlike the first Ninja Gaiden, save points are EVERYWHERE.

Still, Im only about 2 hours in so I haven't seen the bad yet, though the camera does get a litle annoying.

Eviltaco64
June 4th, 2008, 17:34
Well when the 360 came out it was a mad rush to try buying one in north america. Japan was fully stocked and thinking about it, Asian games tend to retail for $40 vs $60 USD (at the time canadian games were jacked up a bit more due to conversion rate, $70-$75 retail CND when games were $67 CND with exchange rate).

So far the unit has been solid and has given me zero problems (hell i've even played some dead rising on it). I now just don't care to play it anymore (I barely even play my ps3). 90-99% of my gaming time is spent on PSP. :P

Well, then, we have something in common.
I have a 360 that I havent used in months.

PSmonkey
July 4th, 2008, 17:48
Ugg. Been a while again.

So what has changed
. 360 is gone by by and replaced with a LE gundam gamecube

. I am now married :P

. Bussy with work still

Thats all for now, will talk more later

Eviltaco64
July 7th, 2008, 05:37
isnt the gundam gabecube like a ruby case/wavebird?

and are you really married now?
if so, congrats!

CaptainMorgan4
July 7th, 2008, 07:32
So is there any desire or any effort been put into anything N64-PSP wise from you at all recently? Is there any desire to work on M64, or are there any restrictions?

PSmonkey
July 7th, 2008, 17:31
isnt the gundam gabecube like a ruby case/wavebird?

and are you really married now?
if so, congrats!

It's a red gamecube with a dark red gb player and a black front controller faceplate. The controller is also two tone (top half light red, bottom half dark red). The system also comes with a LE gundam figuring and Le disc with demo of gundam on it (but the bonus disc is missing from my collection. :( ).

Also yep, i'm 100% officialy married now. We've been dating for 4.5 years so it was about time we finaly got married. :P

pibs
July 7th, 2008, 20:39
Congrats on getting hitched PSmonkey :D

had u guys been living together, cuz u might see a whole different side of hers lol

Eviltaco64
July 8th, 2008, 03:00
So is there any desire or any effort been put into anything N64-PSP wise from you at all recently? Is there any desire to work on M64, or are there any restrictions?

He cant work on M64 since he's under contract with Ubisoft (I think)

CaptainMorgan4
July 10th, 2008, 06:25
Yeah I know but I was hoping PSMonkey could elaborate on that and still see if it's against his contract, because I wasn't sure if he was still under it. Couldn't the work be passed on possibly?

PSmonkey
July 18th, 2008, 17:22
Please stop asking about M64, It's dead. PERIOD.

I barely acomplish any of my 3d test projects at home which require a fraction of the time it would take to properly redo M64. Not to mention that rewriting it the way I want to would require the use of a PSP debugger to make sure I do it properly and that would obviously require the use of company tools. Thus negating any chance of it release publicly.

Will I ever mess with m64 again? Probably not for psp. I am currious about how well it would perform on ps3 across the spu but again I really don't have time to port it over to linux and rewrite a new software renderer (ps3 linux has no 3d support).

Comprende?

I know it sucks with strmnnrmn dissipearing off the face of the earth but I don't think anybody realises the amount of work needed to work on a n64 emu. M64 had me doing MANY late nights and ultimately I was only getting 4 or less hours a day of sleep. I'm not very egar to jump back into that.

=(

acn010
July 18th, 2008, 18:02
understandable dude... well congrats by being married...i supposed to get married next year with my ex but that bitch cheated on my lol

Eviltaco64
July 18th, 2008, 18:04
understandable dude... well congrats by being married...0i supposed to hey married next year with my ex but that bitch cheated on my lol

She cheated on your LOL!?

acn010
July 18th, 2008, 18:17
yeah, she cheated on me and my lol

Shadowblind
July 18th, 2008, 18:19
yeah, she cheated on me and my lol

On your lol too? Ouch....

On topic: hey monkey, anything at E3 that you worked on?

CaptainMorgan4
July 19th, 2008, 05:18
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to provocote any trouble I just haven't heard anything from you and I just wanted to see what kind of state you were in. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers but I clearly understand and thanks for elaborating on the situation.

PSmonkey
July 19th, 2008, 23:19
acn010,

Ouch dude. An ex of mine cheated with a friend I was supost to trust as much as her. I'm happy though since it lead to my current gf who is now my wife. :)

CaptainMorgan4,

It's ok. I just wanted to vent that out finaly since you're not the first to keep asking. :P Please don't take it personal.

CaptainMorgan4
July 20th, 2008, 07:55
I didn't I understood what you were saying and I know how frustrating people can be.
"A little fight in you....I like that."