PDA

View Full Version : WiiN64 Alpha - r3xx Released - Nintendo 64 Emulator for Nintendo Wii

wraggster
May 25th, 2008, 12:44
via brakken (http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31828#post31828)

To celebrate the release of the Homebrew Channel tehpola, sepp256 and emu_kidid have released a Nintendo Wii build of their ever progressing port of Mupen64 a Nintendo 64 emulator for the Nintendo GameCube and Wii. Wiin64 is the official name for the Wii build and there is currently no updated GameCube version.

What's New?

+ glN64 Port
+ MEM2 ROM Cache for Wii (fits 32MB ROMs)
+ libfat support (Front Slot & SD Gecko now work)
- libsdcard support (RIP)
+ Save/Load on Wii Filesystem
+ Progressive video support
+ Embedded font support for Qoob users
* Threaded audio
* Various GX_gfx fixes
* Reworked input plugin
+ Modular controller input
+ Classic controller support
+ Developer Features submenu
* Toggle FPS/Debug display

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

mcdougall57
May 25th, 2008, 13:01
how well does this emulate?

____anders____
May 25th, 2008, 14:32
the one that came with the HBC emulates most games at half the speed, some better, some worse.

maybe this update plays games faster..

DPyro
May 25th, 2008, 14:38
Why is this a dol file if it's suppose to be a Wii version?

josh92176
May 25th, 2008, 16:04
Here is version with a .elf file I made for those using the twilight hack, confirmed running ocarina of time but very slow (~12fps).

Simply extract this to the root of your SD Card and launch with twilight hack.

-josh

dahun
May 25th, 2008, 19:27
here is the elf file i made
rapidshare if u dont got winrar
http://rapidshare.com/files/117565024/wii64.elf.html

vicious1988
May 25th, 2008, 20:52
Can anyone tell me why I can't get it to work? Tried it with roms in root/n64roms, root/apps/n64roms, and root/apps/wii64/n64roms.

Kevin87
May 25th, 2008, 21:02
I wonder if anyone would be able to use the built in emulator for 64 games and make it so it can run roms. I dont think it works that way though.

DPyro
May 25th, 2008, 21:05
Ah ok, HBC can boot dol files I guess...

kingslime80
May 25th, 2008, 21:23
The emulator is "built in" to the games from what I heard, not to the system. Not very space efficient really.

icecoolwas
May 26th, 2008, 00:01
The emulator is "built in" to the games from what I heard, not to the system. Not very space efficient really.

Thats dumb of Nintendo, I thought they were trying to make more channel spots? I mean if they had all the emulators pre-installed in the nand it would max at about approx 10-15mb but if you have about 10 vc games lets say n64 thats already near 30mb, how dumb is that, but then again i guess its so they can protect from piracy? but how dumb, they could have made a sector of the Nand flash Read only, but i guess they think out ideas after the product was released.

and i remember bushing talking about 8 files in the wii that are 4mb in size, and they are all the same, why couldnt they just link to one 4mb file? meh dumb or what? Im sure homebrew will fix this crappy nintendo errors.

DaKik
May 26th, 2008, 01:03
I know its a bit off topic but those talkings about the nand made me wonder:

Would it be possible to make a Custom firmware a la PSP for wii? Emulators and such directly and easily usable, main menu customization, loads of thing I cant imagine right now...
Since the firmware on the wii is rather small, I assume it would be possible. Probably really hard but possible. Am I wrong here?

Back on topic, That is great! N64 emulated on wii was one of the goals back on Homebrew Day if I remember well. Perfect dark anyone? :thumbup:

dahun
May 26th, 2008, 01:23
I wonder if anyone would be able to use the built in emulator for 64 games and make it so it can run roms. I dont think it works that way though.

its possible and been done

/but its considered bad here so discussion ends

NeroMaverick
May 26th, 2008, 12:19
Everytime I load this emu the screen is Black & White, roms load into ram, but dont actually play. Whats up? Looks like the same thing that happens whenever a PAL source gets hooked up to my tv.

dahun
May 26th, 2008, 15:40
Everytime I load this emu the screen is Black & White, roms load into ram, but dont actually play. Whats up? Looks like the same thing that happens whenever a PAL source gets hooked up to my tv.

u might want to try a .elf file instead of .dol

also this is just a teaser for the real thing its just saying the project is underway

actually to my knowledge its exctly the same as the gamecube n64 emulater except it sais wii64

turtleman64
May 26th, 2008, 19:07
I'll hold off on getting this 'till it can run Banjo Kazooie t full speed. (seeing as how VC ain't gonna get it any time soon.)

NeroMaverick
May 27th, 2008, 00:07
u might want to try a .elf file instead of .dol

also this is just a teaser for the real thing its just saying the project is underway

actually to my knowledge its exctly the same as the gamecube n64 emulater except it sais wii64

Nope, tried both formats... I also installed the homebrew channel on my girlfriends Wii, tried the emulator on it, exact same file and everything. GUI works perfect.

oh ya, I also reformatted my card and reloaded everything. Could this have something to do with the fact I had a semibrick at one point?... don't see why considering I semibricked with a Jap update which still uses the US standard of NTSC. Now if it was a semibrick using an EU update, I'd understand a little more.

that is, if this is a video output problem.

dahun
May 27th, 2008, 01:05
Nope, tried both formats... I also installed the homebrew channel on my girlfriends Wii, tried the emulator on it, exact same file and everything. GUI works perfect.

oh ya, I also reformatted my card and reloaded everything. Could this have something to do with the fact I had a semibrick at one point?... don't see why considering I semibricked with a Jap update which still uses the US standard of NTSC. Now if it was a semibrick using an EU update, I'd understand a little more.

that is, if this is a video output problem.

no, us ue and jap all use diffrenct console types

im guessing u installed the jap update from mario cart?

their is a progrem u can use to edit those options wragstar realesed something to do that for you

or u could just update ur wii

Just rember that this will also run on the gc at the same speed and everything so no wii cababilies are being used so think of it being like last gen console fairly odd tho

NeroMaverick
May 27th, 2008, 22:57
no, us ue and jap all use diffrenct console types

im guessing u installed the jap update from mario cart?

their is a progrem u can use to edit those options wragstar realesed something to do that for you

or u could just update ur wii

Just rember that this will also run on the gc at the same speed and everything so no wii cababilies are being used so think of it being like last gen console fairly odd tho

I installed my update from the JAP brawl. I've already fixed my semibrick tho, using the US Mario Galaxy, did that a while back ago. I'll check out that program and see if the SMG update missed anything.

I've looked everywhere to see if my issue has been repeated and I cant seem to find any info. Guess I'm just lucky :P

If that program doesn't work, I'll just wait for the next release, I know the emulator doesn't work at full speed, so there really isn't a rush. I lurk forums for a few hours a day just gathering info on new apps for all systems so I stay pretty current ;) I have to say, DCEMU is definitely my favorite place as far as updates and how helpful the forum members are.

I really appreicate any help I'm given... It sure beats getting my ass chewed on other boards for even mentioning I've got a problem :P

phinn
May 29th, 2008, 07:21
Is this version newer than the one that comes with The Homebrew Channel?

It's titled "Wii64 Wii Tiizer Edition" on homebrew channel's website

edit: Okay I realized in the readme file its r3xx, so they are the same version

mn777saint
May 30th, 2008, 03:20
Can anyone tell me why I can't get it to work? Tried it with roms in root/n64roms, root/apps/n64roms, and root/apps/wii64/n64roms.

Did any one get an answer for this yet...?
I would like to know the answer to vicious1988 question....

vicious1988 where can i find your latest FCEU front sd for wii & can we save game data yet? and is any one working on any type of Action replay/gameshark cheat code?

littlecoopsxxx
May 30th, 2008, 06:36
im confused by this emulator, point? excatly what does it do? erm....possibly just another gimic?

grossaffe
May 30th, 2008, 07:43
how are the controls set up for the n64 emulator? the gamecube doesn't exactly have as many buttons as the n64 did. how do they get around that issue?

scrabbus
May 30th, 2008, 10:25
Well this is an early release, there should'nt be any surprises if this does not work properly! From what I gather there will be a lot of new features implemented in the next release. For now though this scene is starting to really explode, for now I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

KristenBaldousor
May 30th, 2008, 20:29
how are the controls set up for the n64 emulator? the gamecube doesn't exactly have as many buttons as the n64 did. how do they get around that issue?

Actually, the cubes control has more botton than the n64 control

n64--------------cube
L button-------L button
R button-------R button
Z button-------Z button (just front of the R button)
A button-------A button
B button-------B Button
C buttons-----Analog Stick (the yellow one)
D-Pad----------D-Pad
Analog Stick---Analog Stick
------------------X Button
------------------Y Button

grossaffe
May 30th, 2008, 20:40

n64--------------cube
L button-------L button
R button-------R button
A button-------A button
B button-------B Button
D-Pad----------D-Pad
well, it has more actions, but less buttons. I figured they'd probably do something along those lines, but I wasn't sure. Are x and y useless, or can they be programmed to do certain actions (say I want them to act as different c-buttons instead of having to use the c-stick)

type_theEND
June 4th, 2008, 21:03
No, VC is just a rom and an XML file in an encrypted file.

kingslime80
June 5th, 2008, 05:43

n64--------------cube
L button-------L button
R button-------R button
A button-------A button
B button-------B Button
D-Pad----------D-Pad

Then you can use the control setup from the VC emulator.

n64--------------GC control on VC
L button--------?
R button--------R button
Z button--------L button
A button--------A button
B button--------B Button
C buttons------Analog Stick (the yellow one)
D-Pad-----------D-Pad
Control Stick---Control Stick
?-----------------X Button
?-----------------Y Button

Anyone know what the L button is mapped to on the VC?

silvershadow
June 6th, 2008, 01:03

L button--------?
R button--------R button
Z button--------L button
A button--------A button
B button--------B Button
D-Pad-----------D-Pad

it depends what game, for example, a game that uses Z and doesnt use L...i believe L is mapped to Z

cause if i remember correctly, with n64 games..u either use:

Analog stick + Z

or d pad + L

KristenBaldousor
June 6th, 2008, 01:04

L button--------?
R button--------R button
Z button--------L button
A button--------A button
B button--------B Button
D-Pad-----------D-Pad

As far as I know, for nothing, then again, I only have Mario Kart 64 on the Wii, planning on getting more once the mass storage factor gets solved out

ChickenMayo
June 6th, 2008, 14:31
I seem to be having a problem extracting the emulator it tells me that the zip file is unknown format or damaged. Anyone else had this problem?

grossaffe
June 8th, 2008, 23:24
it depends what game, for example, a game that uses Z and doesnt use L...i believe L is mapped to Z

cause if i remember correctly, with n64 games..u either use:

Analog stick + Z

or d pad + L

I don't exactly have an virtual console games, but Smash Bros Brawl came with VC demos, and StarFox 64, which usually uses Z, is mapped to the L trigger. also a couple of the C-buttons are mapped to X and Y (as well as the C-stick).

I would like if we could get game controller profiles so that we could adjust the controls for each individual game and not have to readjust every time we change a game.

metalhead1816
June 12th, 2008, 06:38
I d/l the .boot file version and labeled it correctly and it shows up in my homebrew but when it comes to loading the screen just freezes black. Could anyone tell me how to properly name it on the sd card and if thats not it then what might the problem be?

gary_abernethy2
July 18th, 2008, 00:49
where do i put my roms so it will find them?
help please

gary_abernethy2
July 18th, 2008, 19:02
I figured it out. N64ROMS on the root of the card, not i nthe apps folder.
Too bad the games still seem to be unplayable :(
I was hoping at least simple games like Robotron 64 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy would work, but no.
No matter what I pushed I couldnt do anything but shoot in Robotron :(
And Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Dr. Mario seem to be completely unplayable.
Wheel Of Fortune is annoyingly slow.
Kirby 64 is playable for some reason, but the graphics mess up very bad.
Has anyone else found anything playable?

gary_abernethy2
July 19th, 2008, 18:57
Games I got to work and you should check out are:

Robotron 64

Asteroids 64

Wheel Of Fortune

Games that are playable but suffer graphically:

Kirby 64

Super Mario 64

Mario Kart 64

Games that are close but suffer too much slowdown to be playable:

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Nightmare Creatures

Games that are close but suffer graphically too much to be playable:

Dr Mario 64

Killer Instinct Gold

StarFox 64

Shadows Of The Empire

Doom 64

Games that arent even close:

Space Invaders

Yoshis Story

Tetris 64

Virtual Chess

Magical Tetris

New Tetris

Fighting Fury

Goldeneye

Spider-Man

South Park

Mario Party

Mario Tennis

Blast Corps

gary_abernethy2
July 19th, 2008, 18:59
If Your Having Trouble Loading Things Off The Homebrew Channel, Just Take The Gamecube Memory Cards Out Of The Wii. You Can Do It While Its Loading, It Wont Mess Up Your Cards.

gary_abernethy2
July 23rd, 2008, 20:27
More games that work and you should check out:
Batman Beyond
Earthwork Jim 3D
Mega Man 64
Paper Mario
Sin and Punishment

type_theEND
August 18th, 2008, 22:15
I hate to tempt fate and ask, but are you still developing this, or did it die?

h2923j42n2
August 19th, 2008, 03:40
I hate to tempt fate and ask, but are you still developing this, or did it die?

Yes, it is still being worked on. As far as I know, this version isn't released yet, but here is the newest video for it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4KXwciX8B8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4KXwciX8B8

see
August 19th, 2008, 18:38
Hello, newbie here. I don't know how to put this emulator working in my WII. Is there someone who can help us on how to burn or make this emulator working. Step by step so that it will help us benefit this emulator. Thank u in advance.

type_theEND
August 19th, 2008, 20:48
Hello, newbie here. I don't know how to put this emulator working in my WII. Is there someone who can help us on how to burn or make this emulator working. Step by step so that it will help us benefit this emulator. Thank u in advance.
There's really no point. Games are practically unplayable (About 15FPS is as good as it gets. Games run at 60.). Wait for a new version.
But, if you REALLY want to be able to play N64 games at a horrible rate, first tell us: Do you have the Twilight Hack/Homebrew Channel? If you have the HBC, just put it in the apps folder. I think this is HBC ready, but I may be wrong.

PeyeRate420
September 6th, 2008, 08:04
also there is ALMOST ALWAYS a "Read me" file in a release by EMU_KIDD over at that awesome tehskeen website :) they are holding a wii coding compition I dont know why wraggy never reported on it but there are devs here who could have made a real impact i think.... To bad, Maybe you should PM wraggy about it? maybe he does not know? somehow? lol... Then he never seems to respond?....

panmusic
September 23rd, 2008, 09:23
I am trying to load Wiin64 through HBC but when I try to load a rom it keeps saying 'error with SD card'.
My set up is like this apps-Wiin64-roms.
Can anybody help me?

vicious1988
September 23rd, 2008, 15:30
Um, the /roms and /saves are supposed to be in root/Wiin64. Not /apps/Wiin64.

disz22
December 31st, 2008, 00:54
how can i put this on the wii??????????????

JackSkellington26
January 24th, 2009, 01:40
Anybody know when this is getting an update?

gary_abernethy2
February 26th, 2009, 04:36
Are ANY games playable yet?
Id be happy with a Robotron and Mortal Kombat Trilogy... anything :-)