PDA

View Full Version : hlide`s PSP Emu for PC & Pandora WIP News

wraggster
May 25th, 2008, 13:19
hlide a member of DCEmu and a coder at PS2Dev (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=10364) and one of the icons of PSP Development posted this exciting bit of info:

I'm also planning to make a PSP emulator for PC and maybe Pandora.

I rewrote from scratch a R3000 dynarec (c++) for PSP and ARM (zodttd uses my very old recompiler/generator I rewrote for his psx4gp2x/psx4iphone). Zodttd were supposed to work with me to bring yapse4all in life but he seems to be very busy with all the other ports he makes.

It wouldn't be difficult to make a PSP dynarec for PC as well : I just need to write the appropriate generator.

I intend to reuse my new dynarec and to extend it to a PSP dynarec (CPU/FPU/VFPU) to make a PSP emulator. But it must be fast and don't need to deal with low emulation of hardware unlike PSX.

I think HLE is the best strategy to emulate PSP because it would be faster and hardware emulation is beyond question due to the lack of documentation about hardware.

But HLE is probably hell to build since we need to reverse any kernel modules to emulate functions accurately.

Lets hope this comes to reality :) PSP emu for Pandora now thats a mindblower (although it will most likely be more of a tech demo)

JKKDARK
May 25th, 2008, 13:31
wow a PlayStation emulator for Pandora, I hope he can finish it soon :)

wraggster
May 25th, 2008, 14:01
PSP Emu not playstation

DPyro
May 25th, 2008, 14:18
Why doesn't he just work with the other guy who's already got a PSP emulator? The source code is available and it already runs some PSP games.

PSmonkey
May 25th, 2008, 18:37
I can see the benifits of going HLE but due to constant kernal updates. I would assume there is a far less headake by going an LLE route. =/

Dr Eggman
May 25th, 2008, 18:47
Would be cool, if it did go fullspeed and play ISO's then i will definatly get a pandora and 'drop' my psp.

A man can dream...

wraggster
May 25th, 2008, 18:52
for the uninformed ie me :P

whats the difference between LLE and HLE ?

Buddy4point0
May 25th, 2008, 20:10
I was reading about pandora the other day. Seams like it might end up as a pretty cool handheld. I'll be getting one after it comes out to the public. Another psp emulator on the pc is great, but one for the pandora is amazing! Can't wait!

Lodis
May 25th, 2008, 20:53
Pandora sounds very promising. N64 emulation is being worked on for it too.

siulmagic
May 26th, 2008, 05:23
uh kinda lost whats this console or handheld pandora never heard of it

joshwaan2k
May 26th, 2008, 10:46
openpandora.org :)

SpacemanSpiff
May 27th, 2008, 02:42
The Pandora project seems interesting, but where the hell are the system's designers getting their funding from? I mean that thing's gotta cost a ton of money to make, way too much for them to be funding it out of their pockets.

The Hombrew Hunter
May 27th, 2008, 04:38
It sounds a bit like it's too good to be true, the Pandora...

I'll wait until people buy and try it before I even consider purchasing one.

bah
May 27th, 2008, 09:58
for the uninformed ie me :P

whats the difference between LLE and HLE ?

High-level emulation (HLE) is an approach for construction of emulators, specifically of video game console systems. In HLE, instead of trying to accurately recreate the hardware, to create a platform on which the native code can be run, the effort focuses on recreating the appropriate functionality provided by the system emulated. Thus, the emphasis is shifted from emulating the method of reaching certain goals to getting the same (or comparable) results as if the native platform was used. By contrast, the traditional way of emulating is termed Low-level emulation, or LLE.

Wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_emulation)

Cloudhunter
May 27th, 2008, 10:37
wow a PlayStation emulator for Pandora, I hope he can finish it soon :)

Unlikely as he hasn't even started it yet ;)

Cloudy

Exophase
May 28th, 2008, 18:14
The Pandora project seems interesting, but where the hell are the system's designers getting their funding from? I mean that thing's gotta cost a ton of money to make, way too much for them to be funding it out of their pockets.

They're producing 3100 as an initial run so one way or another they have the money for that amongst themselves, some people have a lot of money saved up, you know? TI is also pushing this so who knows what the connection is like there. It's so close to being released, there's no doubt at all that they have the finances to push the first batch, and after that they'll probably get enough back to push the next, etc.

wraggster
May 28th, 2008, 18:24
ill buy one but not on the first batch, i remember how notsogood the first gp2x consoles were and i still havent upgraded the firmware

Tinnus
May 28th, 2008, 22:16
No worries on the quality of the first units, one of the things they definately don't want is to rush a release with crappy HW and SW like GPH did with the GP2X back then. Also, they have clearly stated that any faulty hardware will be replaced under the 1-year warranty.

Unlikely as he hasn't even started it yet
What do you mean? psx4pandora is well and working. We're juts in the process of rewriting the GPU plugin to render with Pandora's HW graphics chip, and optimizing/fixing other things. But the emulator already works as well as psx4gp2x or the otherpsx4all ports.

gibberish
May 29th, 2008, 15:01
the pandora will never, ever be able to play psp games - you do realise this dont you?

whilst the pandora is somewhat more powerful than a psp, it is absolutely nowhere near powerful enough to emulate one.

and besides, psp games are mostly shit. id rather play GBA and PSX games. and maybe N64 if zodttd has any success with the emulator.

jamotto
May 29th, 2008, 16:16
the pandora will never, ever be able to play psp games - you do realise this dont you?

Maybe we should wait until the handheld is out before making predictions of the future.