PDA

View Full Version : What a weekend for Wii Homebrew :)

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 03:29
The Wii Scene is fastly becoming one of the Great homebrew scenes, any scene that doesnt require you to invalidate your warrenty by installing a modchip is great in anyones books. One worry is that there is a possibility however small that the homebrew channel can brick your Wii but like everything follow everything to the letter and you should be ok.

As for the Wii Scene we have seen many emulators released for all these systems so far :

MAME
Midway Space Invaders
Atari ST
Gameboy Colour
Game Gear
GBA
Nes
PC Engine
ScummVM
Genesis
Sega Master System
Snes

Thats already a fantastic amount of emulators, if the Wii Specs are to be believed then we should in theory see emulators as fast as what appeared on the Xbox but what do you think is the best we can hope for ?, is full speed N64 doable, let us know via comments, also for purists do you prefer emulators played with a normal controller or the Wiimote, again answers via comments.

kingslime80
May 26th, 2008, 04:17
Considering the game downloads on the VC, Full Speed N64 is POSSIBLE. Weather or not we get it is only a matter of time and motivation.

Fockbox
May 26th, 2008, 04:23
The best we can hope for? Emulators that run as good as their PC counterparts. Probably not possible, but it's something to hope for, right? At least fast enough to compete with the emulators released on other consoles, would be nice.

I think the N64 part is very doable. I'm actually a little displeased with the way it is currently running. I'm glad there is progress, but I feel it shouldn't have been released yet. I get 1 FPS on almost every game I try, save one. And the one I do get to work runs at 30 FPS(not a problem, it's as they described it) but with horrible graphical glitches that render it unplayable. It's just a tease, to be honest.

Note: I'm not putting down the devs, they are wonderful just for taking an interest in this. I don't want to seem ungrateful, either.

Vernonjr
May 26th, 2008, 05:01
Yeah, I'm definitely excited about wiibrew, and hoping that the wii's install base will mean it will have a lot of people working on getting great apps, games, and emulators out. Haha, I'm doing my best to remain patient, I already want all the emulators to run as well as xbox's. I do wish the coders best luck though, because they are definitely doing something I could never. I think the wii is going to be the best system for homebrew, outside of the lack of a hard drive. It's just small and tidy which I love. It already has a great ui, with channel support, which makes it great for applications, and it by far (well at least in my opinion) has the best controller for emulators. Best of all it requires no modchip!
As far as the question about controllers, I do prefer the originals, but at the same time the classic controller is (in my opinion) superior to retro controllers; I only prefer them for nostalgia's sake. The classic controller takes a close second if I can't play with the original nes/snes/64 pads. As a matter of fact, all around it might be my favorite controller ever.
I do think N64 emulation will become near perfect in time as well. I just think it'll take much dedication, from a lot of coders, which is fine, I'll be patient.

Harshboy
May 26th, 2008, 05:02
I believe that Full Speed N64 Emulation is 100% Possible. It's just a matter of time, similar to PSP Custom Firmwares, POPS, etc...

Honestly, I don't like using Wiimotes in Homebrew. Taking 10 seconds to press 1+2 every time is annoying...Just let me Press A on my GCN Controller so I can get to playing my games sooner!

Kenzya
May 26th, 2008, 05:08
Well, if you have downloaded the new Homebrew Channel you can see that you don't have to press 1+2 every time to enable the Wiimote in homebrew. It's just a minor bump in the overall progress.

I was a skeptic about the control scheme. I still don't want to buy a classic controller. It was for that very reason that I tried the Snes9x release with Nunchuck support and, surprisingly, I enjoyed using the nunchuck and wiimote. I'm perfectly happy using emulators in that fashion.

Full speed up to, and including, the N64 is already possibly, if you count Virtual Console game injections. Or even if you count the N64 VC games which are already running 100% on emulators. As far as homebrew emulators go? I expect to see partial N64 and partial PSX emulation like with the Xbox. It's not an easy feat to accomplish.

goshogun1
May 26th, 2008, 05:38
I am amazed by how quickly the emulators have been coming out for the wii. I started using wii homebrew when the first front loading emulators came out using the twilight hack, and since then its been an avalanche of EMU's . I have a modded Xbox, but would rather use the Wii as an all around system. In fact, the Snes9x for wii is the best snes emu I have overall. Full speed Starfox 2! How cool is that? Heck, even the MAME emu is pretty fast. I just beat TMNT and the Simpson's on my Wii with full speed!
Anyway, in a month or two I imagine I will be playing N64 at 90+% speed. (fingers crossed) Even though I can't play any games right now with Wii64, it is the sign of things to come. The future sure looks bright!

rokumanxes
May 26th, 2008, 06:46
I am personally very impressed with the scene.

Progress has come quite quickly.
And of course full speed can be achieved on the Wii.
I mean, it's looking good on the PSP.
(Where have you gone, Strmnnrmn?!) TT^TT

Anyone, now that that's over... I expect to see a full speed PS1 Emulator sometime. The PSP pulls it off at 333mhz, so I'm sure someone with plenty of skill can pull it off with the Wii. MGS on the Wii would be great.

I'm perfectly aware that MGS Twin Snakes on the GC was so much cooler, but... Grey Fox's voice actor changed, and... the nostalgia wins in my book.

And, I hope to see a somewhat functioning Saturn Emulator. There's a few titles I'd like to play on that...
I know it's hell, but I think it's -*possible*-.

Maybe even online play for a few emulators.
Maybe online for GBA or SNES.
I think that's relatively do-able.

As for the controllers, I think it's preference.
Personally, it depends on the system I'm playing.
Most of the time, I'll probably opt for the classic control.

wertyer
May 26th, 2008, 07:21
I am really surprised how fast the wii homebrew scene is growing. It seems like there's a new emulator every few days. And I know it has to be possible for the wii n64 emulator to run full speed. I the psp can emulate a psx, then the wii should definatly be able to emulate the N64. I hope that soon we start seeing more then just emulators. There aren't too many homebrew games or apps. I am really hoping that the wii homebrew is going to grow just a s big as the psp homebrew scene.

Jaydee
May 26th, 2008, 10:06
Come on people. This article was laughably full of spelling errors. Where are the standards?

watoto
May 26th, 2008, 10:16
I agree, if the PSP can emulate fullspeed psx, so can the Wii. And pretty much all systems present on VC can obviously be emulated full speed, including obviously N64. I'm also excited now at the idea of homebrew games and apps using the wii functionality and controls

____anders____
May 26th, 2008, 11:32
Considering the game downloads on the VC, Full Speed N64 is POSSIBLE. Weather or not we get it is only a matter of time and motivation.

i agree, nintendo can do it, i hope the awesome coders out there can do it too, with cheat support:p
and the PSX can be done too imo, the XBOX can do it if not in fullspeed, it's very close.:)

EDIT: don't even start jabbering abot the processor crap, i know that very well..
but it can be done..

royvedas
May 26th, 2008, 11:37
I am personally I'm perfectly aware that MGS Twin Snakes on the GC was so much cooler, but... Grey Fox's voice actor changed, and... the nostalgia wins in my book.
control.

I hear ya!

didn't the chinese girl's (saving girl) dialect also change to a more "british correct" dialect in "Twin Snakes"? - as in no more "sucky sucky - luv u long time"?

And how about Raven - i might be mistaken but I think he originally sounded something like this:

"ZIS IS RA-VENS TE-RRI-TO-RY"

and in Twin Snakes more british-like

"this is Ravens terri'try"

I could be mistaken - I remember encountering one of these changes and gave up on the game - you simply don't change art!

Some of them might be made up in my mind.

samoflak
May 26th, 2008, 15:28
wait.... what.... MAME on the wii!!!!!?

link to more infos plz

____anders____
May 26th, 2008, 17:21
wait.... what.... MAME on the wii!!!!!?

link to more infos plz

here:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112648

i think that's the only one..

don't know if it's that good, as i haven't tried it.

feddon
May 26th, 2008, 17:31
Im already happy atm with scumm and SNES. id love dosbox to play ufo:enemy unknown (X-com) and thatd be me sorted for months.

AkumuHau
May 26th, 2008, 19:01
Emulators for MSX, Commodore 64 and Neo Geo would be awesome, they are already emulated on VC so should be possible, here's hoping someone will make it.

rokumanxes
May 26th, 2008, 19:07
I hear ya!

didn't the chinese girl's (saving girl) dialect also change to a more "british correct" dialect in "Twin Snakes"? - as in no more "sucky sucky - luv u long time"?

And how about Raven - i might be mistaken but I think he originally sounded something like this:

"ZIS IS RA-VENS TE-RRI-TO-RY"

and in Twin Snakes more british-like

"this is Ravens terri'try"

I could be mistaken - I remember encountering one of these changes and gave up on the game - you simply don't change art!

Some of them might be made up in my mind.

Well, David Hayter, (Snake,)
gave up most of his paycheck for this game
to get the other voice actors to return for a re-recording. Mei Ling lost her accent due to time, and I suppose the same happened with Raven, but it wasn't as noticeable to me as her.

And the VA for Grey Fox was someone TOTALLY different. It ruined the epic-ness of his death monologue.
"Snake, we're not tools of the government, or anyone else... Fighting was the only thing...the only thing I was good at. But at least, I always fought for what I believed in... Farewell, Snake."

I have that memorized... I played that game when i was like 7. lol

Capt_Trips
May 26th, 2008, 20:00
Sega CD and PSX is probably as far as the Wii will be pushed, If it is pushed.

Frankly, I think it can do a hell of a lot more than that.

And remember, anyone that has a chance and the know-how to make a working PSX emulator needs to be prepared for the worst with Sony:( Those devils just don't quit.

And as to full speed N64, It should be obvious Nintendo deliberatly designed the Wii to do that. Unfortunetly, Nintendo's emulator is the only one that works:thumbup:

I guess the only question up in the air would be, How much longer until Nintendo discontinues production of the Wii?

____anders____
May 27th, 2008, 09:12
the N64 emu would be great if it goes alot faster, but the thing is that the roms are sooo badly dumped and ar full of glitches, just take a look at my favourite N64 game, Vigilante 8 Second Offense, you can't play it at all...

kharaboudjan
May 28th, 2008, 18:53
isnt it possible to "hack" the emulated games that you can buy from wiistore just like happened to psx for the psp?

then we would have every nintendo console perfectly emulated :D