PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best Device for DS Homebrew ?

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 03:37
Its been a fair few months since i asked this question and like always the best people to ask are the coders and the users themselves, with each release of new hardware although theres not been much released lately comes a new pretender to the crown, so my question to all the DS Users which Flashcart do you think is the best for DS Homebrew and explain why wherever possible :)

Likewise post also the ones to avoid, it will be interesting to see which people dislike.

waco13
May 26th, 2008, 05:20
In my limited experience, I have had absolutely no problems with AceKard 2. Plays every thing I give it and that's what matters most in my opinion.

Aryn
May 26th, 2008, 05:57
I found the M3 Perfect to be the best for me so far. It has onboard RAM, the ability to play almost every homebrew game in existence (I only found 7 that failed to work), full compatibility with Gameboy Advance games and homebrew, and is the only M3 product I tried that did not break or stop working after several months of rigorous use (yes, I actually abuse my electronics).

joe_joe16
May 26th, 2008, 06:30
TTDS.
I don't think I've ever run into a homebrew that hasn't worked.

tominatrix
May 26th, 2008, 09:20
to be honest, i'm most fond of the max media dock for the simple fact that i have 8 gigs of memory with it, whereas i haven't seen that much memory in any other homebrew device. Compatibility is rarely an issue anymore with any device you are ever going to get because you can just patch the program with DLDI.

SO.... all in all, i got the MMD with 8 gigs, and got rid of the ipod.

ToJa92
May 26th, 2008, 12:45
I haven't tried any other device, but I like the CycloDS evolution, it has everything I need, like autopatching, RTS (little buggy, but still) and cheat support o_O I would love som extra RAM so I could run Q2 and Opera browser, but it works good.

noname1
May 26th, 2008, 13:45
I found the M3 Perfect to be the best for me so far. It has onboard RAM, the ability to play almost every homebrew game in existence (I only found 7 that failed to work), full compatibility with Gameboy Advance games and homebrew, and is the only M3 product I tried that did not break or stop working after several months of rigorous use (yes, I actually abuse my electronics).

yes the m3 perfect's are the best (too bad i accidently destroyed mine :()
it has 32MB RAM and that's very good for games like quake 1,2 DS

spinal_cord
May 26th, 2008, 14:08
Neo R6Gold, I don't think any homebrew has failed on it and it has motion sensing, for all the tilty rotating fun you can imagine.

sci-fisteve
May 26th, 2008, 14:46
supercard slot 1 for the DS lite works great all the time and has out lasted my Acekard which gave up the ghost after just a week.

kojiro7
May 26th, 2008, 14:56
supercard dsone!runs everything!

xabier
May 26th, 2008, 15:25
supercard dsone!runs everything!

And it's te only card that autopatches every homebrew with soft reset

Rebrek
May 26th, 2008, 17:22
TTDS.
I don't think I've ever run into a homebrew that hasn't worked.

That probably means you've never tried DsLinux then... I don't know what to get, really. I have a choice between a DSTT and an Acekard 2. Anybody have both of them to give me a better opinion?

I have a Datel GnM right now. Utter crap.

Demonic_Cr0w
May 26th, 2008, 18:36
I like my R4DS. Does what I need it to do = ] And it's never given me any problems. (I have the non-spring version)

limming
May 26th, 2008, 20:09
I have an R4DS and it works perfectly. I think it may be getting old but every game and almost every homebrew work with it. My friend just got an ItouchDS and he says it is great.

smileyreilly
May 26th, 2008, 21:11
i think the max media dock is best, because its so simple, runs a whole bunch of homebrew, and the option of 8 gigs of memory!!! lol

Spidery_Yoda
May 26th, 2008, 21:36
I've had no problems whatsoever with my R4 :)

juiceface
May 26th, 2008, 23:32
i agree, dsone is my favorite

kurtless
May 27th, 2008, 00:55
I have a max media dock, works pretty well. But for some reason my battery only lasts about 3.5 hours with my MMD. Do DS batteries get old and fade? I hope not....

crookedmouth
May 27th, 2008, 01:20
I have a Datel GnM right now. Utter crap.

Why does everyone hate the GnM so much? I've only run into one problem so far with it and that is jenesisDS' savestate problem. I've tried most everything from Mini-Vmac to QuakeDS to NeoDS to yes DSlinux with no problems.

I'm definitely not saying it's the best(especially with it's slower reading which causes stutters in video) but for homebrew it is actually quite good.

I have a max media dock, works pretty well. But for some reason my battery only lasts about 3.5 hours with my MMD. Do DS batteries get old and fade? I hope not....

Yes the MMD seems to eat battery charges up quite fast. Try taking out the Launcher after you boot your game/homebrew. While batteries do degrade,I think it's something like 500 charges before you might notice something.

skipboris
May 27th, 2008, 01:55
I don't think you are going to get a decisive, nor conclusive answer by plainly asking peoples opinion. Everybody is going to chime in and sing the praises of their own device. The underlying motive being: get other people to keep buying the device I already have so that the developers will continue to support it with new updates. Personally, what I think would be really helpful would be a grid with features down one side and devices across the top with the grid being filled in with yes's, no's and/or brief descriptions. THAT would be helpful and meaningful.

ChaoticanarchyX
May 27th, 2008, 02:13
Well fellers
I have to say I love the CycloneDS.. I have had the R4, The EDGE and still have my Max Media Dock and a Games N' Music (BTW if anyone else has the GnM and a MMD, the GnM will work as the Max Media Launcher just with the updated firmware, though you can not use the Flash card from the GnM)

CycloneDS hands down

bobtheninjaoffood
May 27th, 2008, 04:40
I love my SC lite. Works great for GBA and DS stuff. I'm gonna buy an R4 to go with it to make a really awesome setup.

Himura
May 27th, 2008, 04:44
I've had my Supercard CF since 2004, and my Superpass (the original huge bulky one with a copy of Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt sticking out of it) since it came out, and it has never failed me. It runs everything reliably and without incident. The Supercard CF also has 32MB of RAM, enabling large homebrew projects like Quake to run seamlessly.

Basically, I love my Supercard products, even though they're long out of date.

Okami_Ninja
May 27th, 2008, 13:14
R4 for 2 years now (Version 1) and not a single issue, although i do wish some homebrew would go dldi so that it could work on it, i still wouldnt trade it for any card out.
In fact im going to add a Flash 3in1 for the extra ram it needs to run things like quake 2 and dslinux more smoothly, only downfall i have seen on the R4 is the heavy price and all the bad reputation it gets. good thing i got mine when it came out for 30 bux ;)

sepro
May 27th, 2008, 17:24
EZflash V + 3 in 1 combo here. I'm pretty happy with this (I can run just about everything), although the firmware could be better.

Every update has a new bug for every new feature. I'm now just stickin' with a slightly older version that works well for me, but lacks autopatching, cheats, .... I must say last months I haven't really looked at updates anymore, maybe it's better now.

kurtless
May 28th, 2008, 00:13
Why does everyone hate the GnM so much? I've only run into one problem so far with it and that is jenesisDS' savestate problem. I've tried most everything from Mini-Vmac to QuakeDS to NeoDS to yes DSlinux with no problems.

I'm definitely not saying it's the best(especially with it's slower reading which causes stutters in video) but for homebrew it is actually quite good.

Yes the MMD seems to eat battery charges up quite fast. Try taking out the Launcher after you boot your game/homebrew. While batteries do degrade,I think it's something like 500 charges before you might notice something.

I'll try that, thanks! You think that if the launcher is left in, it steals some power? Maybe, but why?

Moley
June 4th, 2008, 12:27
Has anyone tried the iTouch DS yet? A mate of mine said he bought one from www.gadgetz4all.com and loves it. They say it is the replacement to the M3 DS Simply, is this right and has anyone tried it out yet?

Cevius
June 4th, 2008, 22:27
The DSTT ive got is fantastic, ive only ever run into a few homebrew apps that wont start up, but usually its due to bad code and not the DSTT. Also it can take the larger MicroSD, and its faster when you use the larger cards too.

Quite fast with my 8gb Sandisk card

The menu is a bit dull though, would be nice if they made more functionality for it (favourites and whatnot)

Brifry
June 12th, 2008, 23:47
Games n Music card is the best. It's cheap, and it's the only card sold to pretty much everyone. They had it at Walmart and some other stores, so it was (I don't know if they still sell them) easy to get a hold of. It has DLDI patching so it can play virtually all homebrew. There are extremely few programs/games it can use. Plus you can upgrade the space, and it comes with a usb adapter and a cd with 25 games. Plus it discourages piracy because it won't run commercial NDS roms. So all in all, easy to use, easy to get a hold of, and doesn't encourage piracy.

da_head
June 13th, 2008, 03:59
I haven't tried any other device, but I like the CycloDS evolution, it has everything I need, like autopatching, RTS (little buggy, but still) and cheat support o_O I would love som extra RAM so I could run Q2 and Opera browser, but it works good.

seconded. the cyclods is currently top of the market.

kazamman33
June 16th, 2008, 09:41
i like pocket physics i spend hours with it:)

kazamman33
June 16th, 2008, 09:42
i like pocket physics i spend hours with it

kazamman33
June 16th, 2008, 09:42
supercard ONE!!!!!!!