PDA

View Full Version : PS3 vs. Xbox 360: Who's Really Winning Europe?

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 11:54
Earlier this month Sony Computer Entertainment Europe chief David Reeves happily announced that over five million units of PS3 hardware have been sold across Europe, allowing the console to surge past Microsoft's Xbox 360 despite the 360's 16-month head start in the region. In an interview with Wired, however, Microsoft Game Studios' Shane Kim seemed to dispute those numbers.

Moreover, when GameDaily BIZ contacted Microsoft, a spokesperson told us that Xbox 360, not PS3, is in the lead: "In Europe, our hardware sales have doubled in the wake of GTA IV, and we remain the number one next-generation console in Europe. We do not disclose our internal sales data, but our figures show we enjoy a comfortable lead against PlayStation 3 in the region. We lead not only in console sales but also in software sales: overall European performance is excellent with a 7.0 game attach rate that beats the competition (3.8 PS3, 3.5 Wii), and we enjoy 39% of the market in terms of life-to-date revenue. Gamers prefer games on Xbox 360 – just look at GTA IV, where the Xbox 360 version outsold the PS3 version by 20%."

So Microsoft continues to claim a "comfortable lead" and yet when we reached out to Sony, the company maintained that the PS3 was winning. Perhaps what it really comes down to is the definition of Europe?

Here's what a Sony rep told us, "The statement was based on the fact that cumulative sales of PS3 in Europe since its launch now exceed the cumulative sales of Xbox 360 in Europe since their launch, despite Xbox 360 having had a 16 month lead on PS3. Europe means the whole of Western Europe, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Russia. SCEE sources its market data from official sources such as ChartTrack and Gfk, from their retailers and from a variety of additional sources. SCEE has been using the same methodology for the last 10 years or so."

We continue to press both companies and we'll let you know if we ever get a real answer that straightens this mess out.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-vs-xbox-360-whos-really-winning-europe/?biz=1

Spotfist
May 26th, 2008, 15:33
We all know that stats can be twisted to tell any story. Im sure that in some way both Sony and MS are correct but does it really matter?

Surely it's all down to who WILL become the leader...? If Sony can start coming up with figures showing that they have taken the lead then I can only assume that things will just get worse for MS as time goes on, Im just happy I bought a PS3, it may sound like Im being a bit one sided just cuz I have a PS3 but I am happy with the fact that my PS3 will last me a good number of years to come as apposed to the xbox which I seem to recall will only last a couple more years until they replace it with a new model...

I just wish that there were more games on the PS3!

JKKDARK
May 26th, 2008, 17:15
Yeah the 360 is owning the PS3 with GTA :D

ElRazur
May 26th, 2008, 18:14
Remember people, do not feed the idiotic troll.

I believe the result will be known over a matter of time. It may look to favour MS for now (don't quote me on that, it is my own opinion) but the future is perhaps where the crunch lies.

goity
May 26th, 2008, 23:02
Yeah the 360 is owning the PS3 with GTA :D

Not in Europe it isn't. See the VGchartz stats below.
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4170/94862324ys3.png
Unless the 360 is now being abbreviated to PS3... you're a blind troll.

Triv1um
May 26th, 2008, 23:09
I didnt actually know this.

I thought JKK was right about this one (even though its no valid argument)

ZOMGOWNED!

Shadowblind
May 27th, 2008, 00:34
Not in Europe it isn't. See the VGchartz stats below.
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4170/94862324ys3.png
Unless the 360 is now being abbreviated to PS3... you're a blind troll.

:rofl:

Lol referencing VG Chartz is the worst source you can get. You can do better then that. VGChartz is more rigged then the elections.

goity
May 27th, 2008, 01:00
:rofl:

Lol referencing VG Chartz is the worst source you can get. You can do better then that. VGChartz is more rigged then the elections.

Not really. It's just a reflection of external statistics. While it may not be perfect, it has shown this trend for weeks, and it's the only solid statistic of its kind in regards to gta4 sales in Europe. It clearly shows the opposite to what JKKDark said, as do all statistics not dreamed up by Microsoft.

Shadowblind
May 27th, 2008, 01:13
Not really. It's just a reflection of external statistics. While it may not be perfect, it has shown this trend for weeks, and it's the only solid statistic of its kind in regards to gta4 sales in Europe. It clearly shows the opposite to what JKKDark said, as do all statistics not dreamed up by Microsoft.

VGChartz is no different then Nextgenwars. And they say the opposite.

goity
May 27th, 2008, 02:06
VGChartz is no different then Nextgenwars. And they say the opposite.

I think it's quite clear how inaccurate nexgenwars is in comparison to vgchartz in how out the numbers are for Wii hardware sales. According to nexgenwars the wii has sold 21.5 million consoles, but Nintendo had actually sold 24.45 million
(source: http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/04/24/nintendo-rolling-in-money-as-wii-nears-25-million-units/ )
as of March 31st.
Saying that nexgenwars is anywhere near as accurate as vgchartz is a joke. If you actually believe that, you're clearly as blind as jkkdark.

Shadowblind
May 27th, 2008, 02:23
Saying that nexgenwars is anywhere near as accurate as vgchartz is a joke. If you actually believe that, you're clearly as blind as jkkdark.

Yes, yes it is. Because they're both wrong. I can't trust crap numbers anymore from "reliable" sources. Whether or not GTA IV sold more on PS3 or 360 doesn't mean crap to me. But I'm sick of people trusting crap numbers and then sourcing them even when its obviously wrong.

ketchup
May 27th, 2008, 07:53
I think it's quite clear how inaccurate nexgenwars is in comparison to vgchartz in how out the numbers are for Wii hardware sales. According to nexgenwars the wii has sold 21.5 million consoles, but Nintendo had actually sold 24.45 million
(source: http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/04/24/nintendo-rolling-in-money-as-wii-nears-25-million-units/ )
as of March 31st.

So you trust these sites over MS and Sony when you want but then trust Nintendo to tell you the truth too. You seem to select whatever data you can find that supports your own personal view, very subjective!

Cloudhunter
May 27th, 2008, 09:46
I'm just gonna come out and say it, mainly because no-one else has.

Who gives a shit? Both consoles are successes, each have their own merits. When people realise that and get on with life, everyone will be a lot happier.

It's the old "My cock is bigger than yours." syndrome.

Cloudy

Mc_Logical
May 27th, 2008, 12:26
True or not, I think the 360 will only sell more because its cheaper than ps3, give it time and as any1 knows ps3 will over do the 360, not just in sales I mean generally

goity
May 27th, 2008, 12:29
So you trust these sites over MS and Sony when you want but then trust Nintendo to tell you the truth too. You seem to select whatever data you can find that supports your own personal view, very subjective!

The difference is is that the Nintendo number is a solid figure which can't really be open to any interpretation, as opposed to some shitty subjective "best next gen console!!!" Microsoft spew out, where they have to ignore ten things and reclassify another 100 to come out with any figure supporting them.

But of course, new press release. The Xbox 360 is the most successful next gen console that doesn't have a W or a P in, because those are both letters which destroy console integrity, and using those letters makes you closer to a DVD player than a console, and we target the real gamers and real gamers love us and real gamers HALOES!!!

Besides, even if the VGchartz charts were slightly inaccurate (and they're usually fairly close), there's no evidence to suggest otherwise, and certainly not that GTA4 on 360 is "owning" Europe.

Napalm-Death
May 27th, 2008, 14:45
I'm just gonna come out and say it, mainly because no-one else has.

Who gives a shit? Both consoles are successes, each have their own merits. When people realise that and get on with life, everyone will be a lot happier.

It's the old "My cock is bigger than yours." syndrome.

Cloudy

I completely agree with this. Console wars are pointless, if you like a game that's exclusive to your console; good for you! Now leave my console the hell alone.

Shadowblind
May 27th, 2008, 18:00
I completely agree with this. Console wars are pointless, if you like a game that's exclusive to your console; good for you! Now leave my console the hell alone.

Thank you! Words of truth.

Napalm-Death
May 27th, 2008, 18:24
Thank you! Words of truth.

You're welcome! Now with that said, I hope the PS3 gets NG2...or some form of it.

Shadowblind
May 27th, 2008, 18:27
You're welcome! Now with that said, I hope the PS3 gets NG2...or some form of it.

Your getting God of War 3, I don't think you have anything to worry about :)

Napalm-Death
May 27th, 2008, 18:44
I honestly don't care about GoW3. I'm not even a fan of that series.

goity
May 27th, 2008, 20:50
I can't say I'm much of a fan of GOW, but I loathed the ninja Gaiden Sigma demo. I'm not really that bothered either way.

Napalm-Death
May 27th, 2008, 21:25
I can't say I'm much of a fan of GOW, but I loathed the ninja Gaiden Sigma demo. I'm not really that bothered either way.

I hated the demo too, it was too short, but it didn't bother me much because I bought the actual game the next day. :rofl: