PDA

View Full Version : Unnofficial Daedalus R14 Beta Released - Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 17:01
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/mario64works.JPG

Via gxmod comes news of an unnoficial version by Wally (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/tags/index.php/wally/) of the Nintendo 64 emulator for the PSP, this version comes from the sources of Strmnnrmn's excellent emulator and adds preliminary ME (Media Engine) support as well as minor additions, remember this isnt the official version but will still be worth a try.

Check out our Daedalus Compatability List Here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23616) and a newer list (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58500&highlight=daedalus)

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

via GXmod (http://mobiles.gx-mod.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7988)
source - homebrewheaven (http://www.homebrewheaven.net/viewtopic.php?t=4238&f=9)

berman
May 26th, 2008, 17:04
great, ill give it a try

seiryuken
May 26th, 2008, 17:20
nice good to see this emulator is still alive, ive stop visiting strnmman for a while now, seems like wally got in cottact with him or something.

kharaboudjan
May 26th, 2008, 17:23
i tried it (mario 64, mario kart 64 and zelda oot) but i didnt keep it on my psp for that long :P

its no use in my opinion :(

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 17:29
Nah wally just used the sources available thats why this is an unnofficial release, other sites may claim its official but not if it isnt released by the man himself.

So no better than the previous version then ?

darkness angel 777
May 26th, 2008, 17:45
I couldn't be happier i'm glad to see this is still alive! :)

pspmodel1001
May 26th, 2008, 17:52
great, ill give it a try

I couldn't be happier i'm glad to see this is still alive! :)

Double Ditto:thumbup:

What does it run under? 3.xx or 1.50?

mike03$$$
May 26th, 2008, 18:09
nice will try it out

CaptainMorgan4
May 26th, 2008, 18:19
Wow I didn't think this would be released yet but if Wally feels it's okay then cool, I'll be downloading it soon.

pspmodel1001
May 26th, 2008, 18:29
I would love to have Re-Volt to run.

Strongbadunit2
May 26th, 2008, 18:31
great to see an update! too bad its UO

Panini
May 26th, 2008, 18:36
Tried running my mario 64 and mario kart byt it keeps dieing when the games about to load - says
'assert failed: gCPUState.Events(0).mcount==0...

Do you place this in the game folder like the previous version??

I read wally's post on homebrewheaven and he said that "Debug menus popup - these are bypassable by pressing the SQUARE button and shouldn't be very often"... but whn i press square as he mentioned it allways freezes the psp with each game i try?

Anyone else have better luck?

Strongbadunit2
May 26th, 2008, 18:44
nope =[ but u gotta press square multiple times.

bosanova_x
May 26th, 2008, 18:52
I get the same type of result.

It just seems to crash my PSP slim.

Im'm trying mario 64 starfaox and fzero.

pspmodel1001
May 26th, 2008, 19:02
Now I can hardly play of my N64 games.

I con only play about 25% of games that are playable on R13:mad:

seiryuken
May 26th, 2008, 19:03
Hells yeah, having re-volt would be a blast loved that game and just reading youre post reminded me of the car selecting part music.

Strongbadunit2
May 26th, 2008, 19:05
if it wasnt for the crashing it would be better with the little time between crashes i can see a small speed up. it still shouldnt have been released like this.

pspmodel1001
May 26th, 2008, 19:12
Hells yeah, having re-volt would be a blast loved that game and just reading youre post reminded me of the car selecting part music.

WOW:eek: Didn't expect that. Thanks.:thumbup: Ya, I can play it on Project64 just fine.

djbrotherson
May 26th, 2008, 19:23
The day I can play goldeneye or Smash Bros with sound with perfect FPS and no crashes or screw ups adhoc styles is the day I download and play N64 on my psp

Buddy4point0
May 26th, 2008, 19:25
Wraggster, I hope you see my reply on page one.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148071443&postcount=6

bosanova_x
May 26th, 2008, 19:27
The day I can play goldeneye or Smash Bros with sound with perfect FPS and no crashes or screw ups adhoc styles is the day I download and play N64 on my psp

With you on that, its not that day unfortunatly:(

djbrotherson
May 26th, 2008, 19:38
I don't think it'll ever come but I can see it being a reality. Imagine playing Bond or Perfect Dark multiplayer on a PSP just as perfect as Project 64... that would be awesome

kharaboudjan
May 26th, 2008, 19:41
it wont happen on the psp.. wait for next nintendo handheld :)

CaptainMorgan4
May 26th, 2008, 20:01
How is everyone bypassing the debug screens because after I hit square twice it just freezes the emulator, help anyone?

Tinnus
May 26th, 2008, 20:22
Hello?? This is free software under the GPL. No one but the original copyright holder (StrmnNrmn) can impose any restrictions on distribution. Of course they can ASK to link back to wherever but cannot REQUIRE and no one has to obey that anyway.

Oh, and technically, this is just a compile of the current SVN source. Anyone with a PSP development environment could have done that when they wanted, so it's not the next really cool exclusive thing.

So just stop being a nuisance :p

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 20:28
ahem

i found this news on french site GXmod, i have never visited homebrew heaven and exophase maybe twice in 6 months. But anyway dont spam other sites in this thread, i have already read about some actions that some members are going to take against dcemu and i strongly advise you dont. Any more nuisance will lead to infractions.

noname1
May 26th, 2008, 20:36
I'm sorry to say this but it is BAD!
It's almost with no game compatible not even with mario 64 on my psp slim.
one thing was good. The menu looks great.

ninja9393
May 26th, 2008, 20:37
ahem

i found this news on french site GXmod, i have never visited homebrew heaven and exophase maybe twice in 6 months. But anyway dont spam other sites in this thread, i have already read about some actions that some members are going to take against dcemu and i strongly advise you dont. Any more nuisance will lead to infractions.
Have fun with that:rolleyes:

ninja9393
May 26th, 2008, 20:43
The least you could do is amend the link as this is an exclusive instead of being an asshole by trying to explain your loopholes.

The developer of this software requested that it be exclusive, so make it so.

OMG, This is the greatest reply ever
it deserves a ROFLCOPTER!

Tinnus
May 26th, 2008, 20:43
You may be right, but Wally is the one that brought this around... Least people can do is give credit to the original source

And yes, I do know he's made some changes of his own, as I was in the conversation he had with the admin of Homebrewheaven. Not sure what changes he made, but he did indeed work on it.
As I said, it's OK to ask, but as cold as people are saying it's WRONG not to, I'm saying it's WRONG to rquire anything in the first place because of the license terms. Anyone can distribute the program as long as there's source code available.

BTW, did Wally release his source code modifications as well?

The least you could do is amend the link as this is an exclusive instead of being an asshole by trying to explain your loopholes.

The developer of this software requested that it be exclusive, so make it so.
He isn't the f*cking "developer" (read: copright holder aka the owner of the original work). StrmnNrmn is. Anyone that makes a derivative work is subject to the terms of the GPL. Go read the damn license.

ExcruciationX
May 26th, 2008, 20:45
Exactly, keep it that way.

*goes to look at "gxmod"*

EDIT: I'm wondering if Strmnrmn is going to post in this thread. That would clear things up alot.

leonalchemist
May 26th, 2008, 21:08
I would love to have Re-Volt to run.

then why dont u play the psx version??? though its kinda big

Exophase
May 26th, 2008, 21:16
Exactly, keep it that way.

*goes to look at "gxmod"*

EDIT: I'm wondering if Strmnrmn is going to post in this thread. That would clear things up alot.

I don't think that's going to happen, but what do you really expect him to say? He's not connected with this release, aside from that he did all the work for it. StrmNrmn was in progress coding this (which is probably why everyone's reporting that it's totally broken, because he didn't finish) and put the updated code on his SVN, probably for his own purposes only. What I mean is that I doubt he ever intended for random people to take it and build it, much less release it. For those people to then try to demand sole distribution rights to something they really had no business releasing in the first place and have no entitlement to is just insane.

The worst part is that as usual people think that I'm somehow connected with this because the site that stole my name is. :/

Safari Al
May 26th, 2008, 21:34
Listen, I really don't see, Tinnus, why you're getting mad at Wally. I was there with him, in the chat. He did modify the source code, to be a bit more stable, that I'm for sure of. Wally deserves some credit, along with strmnnrmn. The release of this was Wally's choice, seeing as strmnnrmn hasn't been around for a while, and if strmnnrmn comes up and wants it down, so be it. For the time being, allow him to get a bit of credit for this.

-Al

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 21:39
i think its dangerous to release unstable versions of any emulators or software, the last thing any developer wants is for end users to have bricked consoles

and i did notice at QJ where it looks like exophase is part of this project. commas in the wrong places me thinks

alanparker05
May 26th, 2008, 21:42
I don't understand why more programmers won't work on emulating the n64 progress is painfully slow and there is always a lot of excitement when a new version is released

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 21:50
its not an easy console to emulate. and not enough is known about the PSP to really push it to the limits

Cloudhunter
May 26th, 2008, 21:51
Rather than just arguing about it, why not talk to Wally himself on his reasons? That'd be the sensible course of action. As far as I know, he DID actually alter the code.

Cloudy

jedikevin20
May 26th, 2008, 21:52
Please guys. Lets not start this crap up again. This is starting to scream like the gpsp crap all over again. Someone says something. It adds fuel to fire. Peoples words come out wrong. People are accused of stuff on other sites which leak its way back hear and more crap starts. Lets get facts straight and accusations of anything to a minimum. Talk about the freakin release. Is it good or bad? Lets not let other crap get in the way.

Cloudhunter
May 26th, 2008, 21:55
The worst part is that as usual people think that I'm somehow connected with this because the site that stole my name is. :/

QJ will alter the article, and you'll be pleased to know that it's perfectly obvious to at least me that Exophase means the site, and not you.

Cloudy

Safari Al
May 26th, 2008, 21:59
i think its dangerous to release unstable versions of any emulators or software, the last thing any developer wants is for end users to have bricked consoles

and i did notice at QJ where it looks like exophase is part of this project. commas in the wrong places me thinks

nothing in the homebrew world is ever stable. Custom Firmwares are not stable. I bet all of us has had at least one issue with them in the past year. For me that would be the sleep bug. It's unofficial, but being released by a guy we all know as a great guy, wally. He'd never 'brick a psp on purpose.' I respect the fact that you're being careful about an unofficial release, but remember what I said, nothing's ever 100% stable

djbrotherson
May 26th, 2008, 22:03
Goldeneye - fix, now, plz, thx

Exophase
May 26th, 2008, 22:05
QJ will alter the article, and you'll be pleased to know that it's perfectly obvious to at least me that Exophase means the site, and not you.

Cloudy

Unfortunately, I found out about this in the first place because someone IMed me asking me about my work on the N64 emulator. This happens all the time though, even from people who are relatively in the know (they assume it's my website.. at least so far no one thought I took my name from it, that'd really irritate me)

If people would at least call it "exophase.com" it'd settle some of the confusion.

Tinnus
May 26th, 2008, 22:11
Listen, I really don't see, Tinnus, why you're getting mad at Wally. I was there with him, in the chat. He did modify the source code, to be a bit more stable, that I'm for sure of. Wally deserves some credit, along with strmnnrmn. The release of this was Wally's choice, seeing as strmnnrmn hasn't been around for a while, and if strmnnrmn comes up and wants it down, so be it. For the time being, allow him to get a bit of credit for this.
I never said he shouldn't take credit. I just said he has no right to impose any distribution conditions (again, due to the GPL license the project is under. If it was Public Domain or something, he could do whatever he wanted). And I'm not really mad at Wally, but at the websites that probably "asked" him to make the release "exclusive".

Also, in the cold GPL side of things, if he did alter the code so it could be semi-usable (which I really believe he did, never doubted that as well) he should also release the modified source code, of course ot accusng anyone since I didn't look for it, but just pointing out.

psp5000
May 26th, 2008, 22:11
What I mean is that I doubt he ever intended for random people to take it and build it, much less release it. For those people to then try to demand sole distribution rights to something they really had no business releasing in the first place and have no entitlement to is just insane.

Exophase I respect you and all you have done for the psp homebrew comunity. But how dare you critize a fellow coder who has taken it upon himself to contine StrmnNrmn's work. We all do respect StrmnNrmn has not updated his blog let alone released an update for 6 months. So as far as I'm concerned he has either turned his back on or has no respect for the psp homebrew comunity.

Wally I hope you will continue StrmnNrmn's work and achieve full speed N64 emulation as I'm sure it means more to u than StrmnNrmn who I'm such has such a busy life that he can't spare 5 mins to post a coment on his blog or say that the project is closed.

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 22:12
has the emulator improved anything for those who are trying it or made some games playable ?

wraggster
May 26th, 2008, 22:16
Exophase I respect you and all you have done for the psp homebrew comunity. But how dare you critize a fellow coder who has taken it upon himself to contine StrmnNrmn's work. We all do respect StrmnNrmn has not updated his blog let alone released an update for 6 months. So as far as I'm concerned he has either turned his back on or has no respect for the psp homebrew comunity.

Wally I hope you will continue StrmnNrmn's work and achieve full speed N64 emulation as I'm sure it means more to u than StrmnNrmn who I'm such has such a busy life that he can't spare 5 mins to post a coment on his blog or say that the project is closed.

I think you are mistaken, exophase is probably one of the homebrew communities best coders in recent years, Wally may or may not be a good coder in the making but he isnt a StrmnNrmn or an exophase and he will tell you the same, although fair play to him for trying, something that many of us are envious of.

Safari Al
May 26th, 2008, 22:18
And I'm not really mad at Wally, but at the websites that probably "asked" him to make the release "exclusive".

Homebrew Heaven never asked him to do anything, not even post it. He did that willingly, as a good friend. It being exclusive to HH and exophase was wally's decision.

Exophase
May 26th, 2008, 22:36

I criticize him because as far as I know he's just releasing StrmnNrmn's work (others are claiming otherwise, but until the source is actually released like it's supposed to be no one can really know - if I see Wally I'll ask him) and what he's doing doesn't seem to be very practical anyway. Look at what people have been reporting, so far nothing good, just that it breaks things. Because it was a work in progress and not completed.

Maybe you're mad at StrmnNrmn but he has no obligations to anyone, and someone else releasing his stuff that wasn't finished isn't a good solution. I don't think very many people are in this for respecting homebrew coders or whatever, what gets respect is any glimmer of hope that the software they want improved the most will be improved. It happens over and over again. Do you remember Shifty's "release" of Daedalus? Made a bunch of claims that it improved things. Actually it was just a renamed binary. All to get attention. And it did get attention, it got tons of praise (and even people who did think it was faster) before people really looked into what was going on.

You know, just because he's busy with other things doesn't mean he has no intentions of working on it again. Do you remember that he's disappeared for several months before then came back? When important things come up side projects get thrown aside and even spending "5 minutes" to inform this community is opening yourself up to some pretty bothersome people.

pspmodel1001
May 26th, 2008, 22:39
then why dont u play the psx version??? though its kinda big

Because I like the original.:D It brings back memmories.

Did an aministrator put my thing in a spoiler? If so Thanks:thumbup: I've been meaning to do it but my connection is slow.

seiryuken
May 26th, 2008, 22:46
Because I like the original.:D
yup same here, evrything was better in N64

pspmodel1001
May 26th, 2008, 22:52
yup same here, evrything was better in N64

Thanks again. The memory I have most is buying controller after controller playing Mario Party

Triv1um
May 26th, 2008, 23:07
This should be locked if it wasn't meant to be posted here.

x3sphere
May 26th, 2008, 23:08
Someone directed me to this thread so here are my thoughts on the matter (I'm the owner of exophase.com).

Usually, we don't even report on "unofficial" releases out of respect for the original developers -- for example, Takka's gpSP builds that Exophase does not endorse.

IIRC, Wally has been in contact with Strmnnrmn before so I figured he had been given permission to release it. Looking back, he also released a few Daedalus spiff up builds here on DC Emu. I figure if Strmnnrmn had a problem with these releases he would have said so awhile ago.

We never asked him to impose any distribution rights. He sent me the release last night on our IRC channel at malloc.us and I posted it - that's all. I'm not an advocate of release exclusivity.

Also, Exophase, I saw what happened at QJ. Needless to say I've contacted them before but every now and then when linking to us they will tag their post with your name for some reason.

Exophase
May 26th, 2008, 23:26
We never asked him to impose any distribution rights. He sent me the release last night on our IRC channel at malloc.us and I posted it - that's all. I'm not an advocate of release exclusivity.

I don't really know where the release exclusivity thing came from exactly but I'm glad that's cleared up.

I think the main difference between this release and the previous ones Wally made was that those were slight modifications on his part, and this one is StrmnNrmn's unreleased work. If StrmnNrmn felt it was ready to be released then I think he would have, and judging by the responses I just don't really think it was ready. SVNs are useful for a lot more than just sharing code and I don't think that's the reason he put it up there. StrmnNrmn is a pretty agreeable guy though, even if he has something against this I doubt he'll say much about it. That is, if he even notices, because he's probably pretty far removed from things at this point.

Also, Exophase, I saw what happened at QJ. Needless to say I've contacted them before but every now and then when linking to us they will tag their post with your name for some reason.

Thanks. It didn't even occur to me at first that they weren't referring to me, someone else had to explain that to me ;p

Zaitmi
May 26th, 2008, 23:27
So no one has got this to work?

djbrotherson
May 26th, 2008, 23:41
Man, I dont even think ima bother trying it until Goldeneye is playable with sounds muahahaha... (thats never folks) or is it?

paintball1119
May 26th, 2008, 23:49
So no one has got this to work?
To get it to work you need to copy the roms.ini file from r13 to the r14 folder, for some reason he left it out of this build.

PSmonkey
May 26th, 2008, 23:53
Man, I dont even think ima bother trying it until Goldeneye is playable with sounds muahahaha... (thats never folks) or is it?

Stop posting the same thing over and over again.

Goldeneye will never run full speed on the psp (it's one of the more difficult games to emulate properly).

justicejoe
May 27th, 2008, 00:16
i cant find any game play improvements, altho the menu fonts have changed. i dont think its worth keeping over r13 as i use this now. ill wait for the big man to make a release. i hope it comes out soon been waiting for a long while.

djbrotherson
May 27th, 2008, 00:18
Actually if someone actually put some more work in, it could Monkey

callsignAPOLLO
May 27th, 2008, 00:19
In My Honest Opinion, this is one of the most important emulators out there and I just can't wait for this to be refined!http://i15.tinypic.com/6prymtx.jpg

Zaitmi
May 27th, 2008, 00:19
To get it to work you need to copy the roms.ini file from r13 to the r14 folder, for some reason he left it out of this build.

Thank you for your help. I just played Super Mario 64, and it works great! Hopefully the full R14 will be even better!

Eviltaco64
May 27th, 2008, 00:25
OMG, This is the greatest reply ever
it deserves a ROFLCOPTER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt8j6o_ZGC4

:rofl:

gamefreak199101
May 27th, 2008, 00:29
I been see this all over the place

pspmodel1001
May 27th, 2008, 01:00
On Pilot Wings 64, it says "EEPROM CHECK FAILED"

noname1
May 27th, 2008, 01:02
Yeah! it works after i copied the roms.ini file.
I hope the full version will have a better framerate :p

blazsly
May 27th, 2008, 01:11
^where exactly is this file you have to copy. I cant find it anywhere in deadalus r13

djbrotherson
May 27th, 2008, 01:18
Does somebody wanna tell us how this plays in comparison to the last release

pspmodel1001
May 27th, 2008, 01:19
look where the EBOOT is

Sterist
May 27th, 2008, 01:38
wraggy!! lets use a new screenshot for releases.... the current version(s) look much nicer than that.

Apoklepz
May 27th, 2008, 01:40
Yeah! it works after i copied the roms.ini file.
I hope the full version will have a better framerate :p

Ok, so everything that worked on R13 should work now, right?...only slower?

mcdougall57
May 27th, 2008, 01:48
Havent seen one of strmmnm update posys in months, this still alive?

jurkevicz
May 27th, 2008, 02:45
I'll just wait for Strummn to release his version.

pspmodel1001
May 27th, 2008, 02:54
I'll just wait for Strummn to release his version.

Same here:cool:

wolfpack
May 27th, 2008, 03:11
Well, for one, notice how the title says UNOFFICIAL BETA

If its a beta, obviously something is going to be broken. Though I will agree, if something is broken, whats the point of releasing it? However, I do think maybe he released this broken emulator to bugcheck everything in the emulator. Because fans of the emulator mainly tend to provide information of bugs and any wrongs with the emulator. Maybe thats the reason why he released it. Only Wally and possibly Strmnnrmn knows. I do respect Wally a lot though, dont flame him. He probably released it only to get some feedback on things he needs to fix because remember, hes a SPIFFUP guy, he tweaks code to where stuff works better, even though in this release, everything seems to be kind of broken. If only Wally or Strmnnrmn were here to try to explain the situation, I think a lot of flames couldve been prevented.

At least give Wally some credit for at least TRYING to get something done because all of us are starting to get a little antsy over Strmnnrmn's next release.

Either way, I dont blame Wally for deciding to give a whack at this. In fact, I think it took some balls to give this a shot because he knows hes going to have a lot of people on his ass if something goes completely wrong.

I do hope Wally does some proper fixes with this emulator because he's still learning some of the stuff himself as he's coding so hopefully he should be able to pull something good in his next release if he decides to do more and makes a breakthrough somehow.

pkmaximum
May 27th, 2008, 03:11
Does anyone want to tell us any frame rates or specifics on any roms from R13 Build vs the UO R14 build, cause I have heard nothing positive yet.

Tets
May 27th, 2008, 03:20
It doesn't seem to run much faster than R13, but I'm keeping it all the same. The interface looks fantastic using the PSP's fonts.

Wally
May 27th, 2008, 03:35
You people don't know when to stop whinging and complaining, first of all you start whining at strmnnrmn over not releasing it now i release it and you wont even play it.. Sheeze. No wonder all the devs get frustrated and dont release anything.

You are very lucky you are getting this, perhaps next time I won't do anything. Thank you for those who never bothered to whinge / complain and jumped straight into it. YES its Slim Compatible, no more of these questions thanks at least try it before you ask.

Secondly, its a tad faster with audio enabled and I believe its at least 1FPS faster.

I don't want you people whinging anymore. or no more builds for any of you (Yes you whingers spoil it for everyone)

Wally

pspmodel1001
May 27th, 2008, 03:52
I may have whined but I do respect the people that helped make this.

You got to respect Wally for trying.

pkmaximum
May 27th, 2008, 03:58
You people don't know when to stop whinging and complaining, first of all you start whining at strmnnrmn over not releasing it now i release it and you wont even play it.. Sheeze. No wonder all the devs get frustrated and dont release anything.

You are very lucky you are getting this, perhaps next time I won't do anything. Thank you for those who never bothered to whinge / complain and jumped straight into it. YES its Slim Compatible, no more of these questions thanks at least try it before you ask.

Secondly, its a tad faster with audio enabled and I believe its at least 1FPS faster.

I don't want you people whinging anymore. or no more builds for any of you (Yes you whingers spoil it for everyone)

Wally

OMG get over yourself I hate it when a dev starts crying over people complaining, PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO COMPLAIN. It's great you contribute to the scene but remember the people who also support you rather than saying "since there are whiners no more releases for anyone". EMO.......

jedikevin20
May 27th, 2008, 04:06
Ah. Yall just seem to keep allowing crap to get worst. Why do we always have to go through this crap? Wally why did you just have to post that stuff? You know how this community is. They love to take things out of context. The more big folks try to defend themselves, the more people will come on and flame what they say. You shouldn't have to say anything Exo or Wally. Let the whiners complain all they want. Yall just keep doing what yall want. Who cares if someone complains. Reading these forums or forums on other websites just leads to problems. Do what you want and ignore the rest. Its A Never ending cycle we go through in this community and it needs to stop.

Wally
May 27th, 2008, 04:10
yeah i agree.

NO MORE WILL BE SAID..

Peedo
May 27th, 2008, 05:25
i thought this emu will have a cache feature.

Shadowblind
May 27th, 2008, 05:37
Lol @ you people. its a beta, its not even a full release.

Dembonz
May 27th, 2008, 06:04
this thread really blew up.
I'm not really sure what to think about all this...

Well....thanks for the release Wally.
If it wasn't for unofficial builds this scene would be very stale, methinks. Appreciate the effort.

Wally
May 27th, 2008, 06:55
Yeah some clowns just don't know how to use their thinking mechanism, AKA brain..

No wonder devs gets frustrated with news sites...

Dutt
May 27th, 2008, 06:59
Well i thinks its very good to see someone working on this..
Imo this build is faster and has better sound i dont care about any crap ppl say i think wally has done a good job with this..
Thanks mate for all the work u'v put into it..

Dutt..

CaptainMorgan4
May 27th, 2008, 07:44
Wally when you say with the sound on it's a tad faster, do you mean versus R13 with it's audio enabled?

Wally
May 27th, 2008, 11:49
I don't think that's going to happen, but what do you really expect him to say? He's not connected with this release, aside from that he did all the work for it. StrmNrmn was in progress coding this (which is probably why everyone's reporting that it's totally broken, because he didn't finish) and put the updated code on his SVN, probably for his own purposes only. What I mean is that I doubt he ever intended for random people to take it and build it, much less release it. For those people to then try to demand sole distribution rights to something they really had no business releasing in the first place and have no entitlement to is just insane.

Hello?? This is free software under the GPL. No one but the original copyright holder (StrmnNrmn) can impose any restrictions on distribution. Of course they can ASK to link back to wherever but cannot REQUIRE and no one has to obey that anyway.

Oh, and technically, this is just a compile of the current SVN source. Anyone with a PSP development environment could have done that when they wanted, so it's not the next really cool exclusive thing.

So just stop being a nuisance :p
The source is avaliable here thanks for reminding me Tinnus!
www.68kshrine.net/temp/DaedalusR14Source.zip and technically I dont know WHY but the source was left uncompilable without some modifications, I have reason to believe he was drunk when he uploaded it xD hence all the bugs and so forth. Oh and Tinnus, you never released your source xD

I must comment, this is 99% of StrmnNrmns work.
The missing 1% is the alterations I made which are.
1) Removing debugging stuff from the MakeFile
2) Altering the heapsize in psp_main.c so that it works correctly on the slim..
3) Fixing the source so it compiles correctly.

The only reason I released this was because I care so much about this project, I thought people would love to have this as StrmnNrmn has been too busy doing other things in life. I originally thought this would happen (The entire thing blow up in my face unless all those bugs were squashed) however I got a bit impatient and bugs started to annoy the living daylights out of me and yeah it happened.
As for Exophase.com, it's dedicated to you Exophase :) Read the bottom of the page, im sure x3sphere would explain it to you on #exo (irc.malloc.us)

For Exophase and Tinnus both, I do apologise for any problems I have put you both through thank you for your support though.

Honestly I don't know why people think i'm a true coder, because im NOT.. I get emails all the time saying OMFG make Daedalus better.. As much as I would like to, I just can't yet. The spiffups were quite simple as well, if you put your mind right to it. It'd be piss easy, just requires a tad of logic and the ability to read code.

Please listen to the big guns, not to everyone else.

Wally

P.S please post this around to other news sites. :)

rashlin
May 27th, 2008, 13:43
i will keep it very simple

THANK YOU WALLY:thumbup::thumbup:

niccolopogi
May 27th, 2008, 15:54
thanks but no thanks.. ill stick with R13 but i congratulate you with the effort

fpcreator2000
May 27th, 2008, 15:55
I criticize him because as far as I know he's just releasing StrmnNrmn's work (others are claiming otherwise, but until the source is actually released like it's supposed to be no one can really know - if I see Wally I'll ask him) and what he's doing doesn't seem to be very practical anyway. Look at what people have been reporting, so far nothing good, just that it breaks things. Because it was a work in progress and not completed.

Maybe you're mad at StrmnNrmn but he has no obligations to anyone, and someone else releasing his stuff that wasn't finished isn't a good solution. I don't think very many people are in this for respecting homebrew coders or whatever, what gets respect is any glimmer of hope that the software they want improved the most will be improved. It happens over and over again. Do you remember Shifty's "release" of Daedalus? Made a bunch of claims that it improved things. Actually it was just a renamed binary. All to get attention. And it did get attention, it got tons of praise (and even people who did think it was faster) before people really looked into what was going on.

You know, just because he's busy with other things doesn't mean he has no intentions of working on it again. Do you remember that he's disappeared for several months before then came back? When important things come up side projects get thrown aside and even spending "5 minutes" to inform this community is opening yourself up to some pretty bothersome people.

I completely agree with you Exophage. By the way, Shinning Soul I and II don't work. I do have the correct BIOS. The games crash the system and exit me to the XMB. Kingdom Hearts freezes when the cinema (messed up colors) is playing.

Tinnus
May 27th, 2008, 17:58
Oh and Tinnus, you never released your source xD
You mean the one UO I did of Daedalus time ago? That was just a find-replace of ReadBuffer with PeekBuffer, literally nothing else, and I stated that when I released it, so it counts as a diff :P

For Exophase and Tinnus both, I do apologise for any problems I have put you both through thank you for your support though.
No problem, I'm glad you got stuff covered. I was just actually mad at people that were saying wraggster was "wrong" for "breaching" the "exclusivity" thing which IMO (and, technically, due to the GPL as well) wasn't right in the first place.

Exophase
May 27th, 2008, 18:18
The only reason I released this was because I care so much about this project, I thought people would love to have this as StrmnNrmn has been too busy doing other things in life. I originally thought this would happen (The entire thing blow up in my face unless all those bugs were squashed) however I got a bit impatient and bugs started to annoy the living daylights out of me and yeah it happened.

Of course, I've talked to you about this before and I completely understand why you did it. I just don't really think it was a good move, but at this point there's not really a lot "good" that can be done aside from wait for StrmnNrmn to come back and say or do something (which I'm sure he will eventually, but maybe not)

As for Exophase.com, it's dedicated to you Exophase :) Read the bottom of the page, im sure x3sphere would explain it to you on #exo (irc.malloc.us)

Actually this is all a big fabrication c_c I noticed the website a few days after they changed their name to exophase.com and IMed someone on my buddy list about it, he just happened to know x3sphere and he had access to the site too, he asked me if I wanted him to change the name of the site. I figured instead I'd try to reverse the situation and had him add that disclaimer (in reality the site had nothing to do with me, I think they just liked the handle for whatever reason... o_o)

A few people have fallen for this subtle lie but actually most people don't notice that disclaimer anyway x_x I had the opportunity to get them to change it and I didn't, and the result has sorta come back to bite me in the ass ;P

By the way, Shinning Soul I and II don't work. I do have the correct BIOS. The games crash the system and exit me to the XMB. Kingdom Hearts freezes when the cinema (messed up colors) is playing.

Exophase is posting in this topic, let's ask for gpSP help :> Shining Soul I/II will work if you set iwram_stack_optimize to off in game_config.txt. If you can read that and figure out how to do so then the prize will be yours!

CaptainMorgan4
May 27th, 2008, 18:52
Just so you guys know I released the beta I have had for months that works great. It's just as fast as Wally's and it is a little more stable and without the debug menu poping up. If anyone is interested it's on my site, enjoy!

http://www.strmnnrmn.com/

bigleak2
May 27th, 2008, 23:17
he is not lying either it is sweet i love his version of it
good job CPM4

idapimp
May 27th, 2008, 23:29
in all honesty there is nothing wrong with this. strmnnrmn probably wouldn't have any problems with this either considering that he released his source. as long as people keep these modified versions labeled unofficial i don't think anyone minds. you don't have to show "coder loyalty". everyone wants a program that runs better than the previous one. if he had a problem i don't think he would release the source.

Wally
May 28th, 2008, 00:02
Just so you guys know I released the beta I have had for months that works great. It's just as fast as Wally's and it is a little more stable and without the debug menu poping up. If anyone is interested it's on my site, enjoy!

http://www.strmnnrmn.com/

Lying again Morgan?

Wally

P.S Not that it matters just don't take credit for the build you didn't build :)

buugtdbgt
May 28th, 2008, 04:36
yeaa morgan is lieing it isnt r14 its r13 lmao.

Wally
May 28th, 2008, 04:46
-_- you people just whinge too much..

He got that build from me -_-

My version works fine on Slim.. Don't even know why im arguing with you, try it on a slim it works MUCH better.

Here's proof morgan got it from me. CaptainMorgan4, show us the source!

Wally

CaptainMorgan4
May 28th, 2008, 06:38
"No Louis it's not me, your mistaken."

Wally we had this conversation the last time I put out the article regarding the testing of this build. I don't know who your mistaking me as but I never got a build from you, how could I have gotten it when the only time I've talked to you personally was when I first got MSN like what 2 months ago.

Wally
May 28th, 2008, 06:39
"No Louis it's not me, your mistaken."

Wally we had this conversation the last time I put out the article regarding the testing of this build. I don't know who your mistaking me as but I never got a build from you, how could I have gotten it when the only time I've talked to you personally was when I first got MSN like what 2 months ago.

*smirks* then show us the source :)

CaptainMorgan4
May 28th, 2008, 06:55
Are you really trying to argue about some bullshit makefile changes and then a recompile. And for the last time I never got a build from you, I don't know who your mistaking me as. I just got MSN and I'm never on DCEMU until these last 2 days, try to think who you gave that build to because I assure you it wasn't me. I would love to tell you who did get me the original early R14 build but I can't say his name and it's not my place to break that barrier. You can think what you want to think, really I don't care I'm not some computer nerd.

Kaiser
May 28th, 2008, 08:39
Curious

These builds are merely R13 (with a handful of additions by yourselves) am I right?

Wally
May 28th, 2008, 09:51
Curious

These builds are merely R13 (with a handful of additions by yourselves) am I right?

Mine is R14 built from SVN with a few tweaks as mentioned beforehand.

notaz
May 28th, 2008, 20:26
According to svn log ME support is completely disabled, and yet everyone talks about this beta having "a bit of ME support".

camcorderdoctor
May 28th, 2008, 21:20
I just want to applaud Wally for his great efforts - Thank you for keeping this project alive and for your coding efforts - I just wanted to let you know that CaptainMorgan made a very nice statement about you - here is what he posted ---- CaiptainMorgan4 said "I only made very minor adjustments to this emulator to get it a little more stable and to disable that debug menu. Then I just added my custom eboot attatchments (DKR background, N64 Daedalus icon, and a DKR .AT3), then I just kept my custom settings configuration so whoever downloaded it would be ready to play, not to mention the preview png's for some games (the ones I use). The work I did was very minor but it went a long way, Wally is more knowledgable about coding and computer work, I'm more smoke a fat blunt and do some busy work to make the emulator a little better than just compile it and be done with it. I could in no way continue this project for StrmnNrmn, although I do believe he will be back for regular updates one day, I don't have the dedication and time for that type of thing, and plus I'm not that coding savy to be able to handle it. I can do some work but nothing on the level of StrmnNrmn, plus it all seems to cause trouble anyway because I release one build and already Wally is jealous and trying to put me down because you guys are liking my build more than his. Just goes to show you how emotions from other people can get in the way and hurt the project as a whole, he should stay on track and just work on this project, it's better than paying attention to someone with little experience that is just trying to better Daedalus."

So everyone please give good props to Wally he is making great improvements and should be respected.His work on the sound engine has made significant improvements on the quality of sound. Much smoother I noticed! Thanks again Wally!!!

Wally
May 29th, 2008, 00:38
According to svn log ME support is completely disabled, and yet everyone talks about this beta having "a bit of ME support".

Good point indeed,

I only said it because it initialises the MediaEngine.prx :P

So being a bit, I dont mean much. perhaps .0001% ;)

wwboy
May 29th, 2008, 22:27
download the CPM4 version that one is way better, this version is crap

Strongbadunit2
May 30th, 2008, 02:07
download the CPM4 version that one is way better, this version is crap

yea unless you like hitting square every 2 seconds due to the popup -_- not to be mean and I appreciate what Wally is doing, but I would rather play R13 official than this...I mean I'd even rather play R10.

(I bet wally plays the CPM4 version lol.)

Wally
May 30th, 2008, 03:00
yea unless you like hitting square every 2 seconds due to the popup -_- not to be mean and I appreciate what Wally is doing, but I would rather play R13 official than this...I mean I'd even rather play R10.

(I bet wally plays the CPM4 version lol.)

I don't play the CPM4 version, infact it is my version (earlier build) with pretty colours over the top.... Not everyone knows that. Evidently he can't justify where he got the source so there's your proof.

I do agree though, i'd much prefer R12 though as everything works and yeah.

Wally

arcadekidflo
May 30th, 2008, 06:10
Sorry i don't have time to read all 12 pages, quick question , are there new games playable with this version ? Even without sound ..

kharaboudjan
May 30th, 2008, 10:29
without sound i would say mario 64 and mario kart 64. with sound there is no game to play yet. hopefully R14 will have like 50 % speedup to get at least some games playable.

HaloBro35
June 4th, 2008, 23:44
Wally, please continue to try to keep daedalus alive. I mean ok fine your version is buggy.. So what? It's your first shot at it. Please stop fighting over stupid things ( EX: I gave you the source! REPLY: NO YOU DIDN'T. REPLY: YES I DID.... and it goes on. Please just can you try to focus on improving daedalus since strmn hasn't updated us in over 6 months?

TEOL
October 18th, 2008, 15:11
Any chance of getting a little, even if slow, bit of No Mercy support in R15? All that I get is sound with no picture on the several R12 - R14 releases.

It might be a very easy thing to do since we already have the sound code of that game implanted.

Sorry for the bump, but is is related to the topic.

Kreationz
October 20th, 2008, 10:00
Myself and shiny are working with the R14 code Wally released here. The new build will be called DaedalusX64 (Not my name don't blame me.) It started strong, then got delayed, because shiny got busy and I never coded for PSP(My C++ experience is strictly Windoze). I have since I started gotten R13 to compile in original from (although with minor IDE related problems.). Right now my progress = 0% I'm currently trying to get R14 compiled and the work on the ME support and supporting more microcodes (Read: Same speed as R13 with sound and more playable games.) I will likely run into the same problems StrmnNrm posted about on his blog. When and if I make any improvements, I will release the source along with the binary.

Two things the emu scene has been lacking ever since UltraHLE, transparency (AKA... open source) and interest in the technical side of emulation.(I also plan to comment my changes to the source and keep a development blog.)

Any questions? I can be reached at DaedalusX64.com as can Captain Morgan 4 and Wally.

I am dedicated to this project because of my love for the N64 and it's technical accomplishments. It and the PSX helped pave the way for the modern generation of 3D gaming and what we as gamers expect out of a console gaming system.

Wally
October 20th, 2008, 11:14
Wally, please continue to try to keep daedalus alive. I mean ok fine your version is buggy.. So what? It's your first shot at it. Please stop fighting over stupid things ( EX: I gave you the source! REPLY: NO YOU DIDN'T. REPLY: YES I DID.... and it goes on. Please just can you try to focus on improving daedalus since strmn hasn't updated us in over 6 months?

I can assure you that StrmnNrmn is doing better things, and its a good cause.. I can't exactly say what he's doing because it'd reveal who he really is.

Kreationz you can download the R14 source here. (www.68kshrine.net/daedalusR14t1.zip)(compatible with the latest toolchain)

Few things to note:

R14 has assert error popups everywhere (they can be disabled, I have done it but I can't remember how)

To compile daedalus successfully you must compile the MediaEnginePrx first or have an MediaEngine.prx file allocated somewhere.

Chilly Willy is probably one of the best sources to speak to about this sort of stuff (He'll be onto this topic in a flash I reckon.) I'm trying to help him get it all up to scratch so he can have a crack at it too.. (see ps2dev forums, General Discussion, Nintendo 64 emu PSP)

PM me if you need someone to test :D

Wally

JLF65
October 21st, 2008, 07:12
Kreationz you can download the R14 source here. (www.68kshrine.net/daedalusR14t1.zip)(compatible with the latest toolchain)

Wally and I are looking into the issue with case errors for folks using linux/bsd to compile Daedalus.

Few things to note:

R14 has assert error popups everywhere (they can be disabled, I have done it but I can't remember how)

If you look in deadlib/include/DaedLibBuildOptions.h, you'll find

#ifdef _DEBUG
#define DAEDLIB_ENABLE_ASSERTS
#endif

That triggers all the damn asserts you see in the latest builds of Daedalus. Apparently, _DEBUG is being set, and the way that is set is in the main makefile

DEBUG_CFLAGS = -g -O3 -G0 -Wall -DDAEDALUS_PSP -D_DEBUG
RELEASE_CFLAGS = -O3 -G0 -Wall -DDAEDALUS_PSP
PUBLIC_RELEASE_CFLAGS = $(RELEASE_CFLAGS) -DDAEDALUS_PUBLIC_RELEASE

Apparently, the DEBUG_CFLAGS are being used, or _DEBUG is getting defined some other way. You can kill the asserts by killing the check in the DaedLibBuildOptions.h file.

To compile daedalus successfully you must compile the MediaEnginePrx first or have an MediaEngine.prx file allocated somewhere.

There IS one bug in this version that needs to be fixed. It's on ps2dev in the thread where I introduced this lib. The fix is to change this

void dcache_wbinv_all()
{
int i;
for(i = 0; i < 8192; i += 64)
__builtin_allegrex_cache(0x14, i);
}

to this

void dcache_wbinv_all()
{
int i;
for(i = 0; i < 8192; i += 64)
}

in the main.c file for the prx. The cache is two-way set associative, so you either need to do the loop 16384 times, or do the cache command twice.

Chilly Willy is probably one of the best sources to speak to about this sort of stuff (He'll be onto this topic in a flash I reckon.) I'm trying to help him get it all up to scratch so he can have a crack at it too.. (see ps2dev forums, General Discussion, Nintendo 64 emu PSP)

PM me if you need someone to test :D

Wally

Yeah, yeah. Hopefully we can get something into a suitable form here in the next week.

By the way, if a moderator see this post, pass along a message to whoever maintains the forum to fix the damn code tag support!!!!! :mad:

Exophase
October 22nd, 2008, 02:43
JLF65; Good to see you actually are working on this.

Kreationz; Being open about development is good, but StrmnNrmn has just about always been. He's just not working on it now or possibly anymore. I don't want to discourage you from working on this, but you guys might want to wait until you have something done before you start promoting what you're doing so much. I say this both for your sakes and for everyone else's.

Kreationz
November 6th, 2008, 05:21
Have something done... I guess no news till December then... lol. BTW Wally said you want to talk so I sent you a MSN and a YIM request.