PDA

View Full Version : Pssxp 1.2 Released: Homebrew Snowboarding game

Safari Al
May 26th, 2008, 23:00
News via Buddy4point0 (http://www.homebrewheaven.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4246)

Pssxp is a homebrew snowboarding game made by me, Buddy4point0. In Pssxp, you're the snowboarder. Guide yourself down the slopes while avoiding trees, rocks, and snowmen, collect powerups and gain points. Try to beat all of the many difficulty settings and levels. Go ahead and take a run at everlasting mode and try to beat your highscore, have your family and friends try to beat your score too! I've put a lot of work into this game so give it a try and I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii93/Buddy_Pillar/screenshot7.png

Version 1.2 has ALOT of new features, hopefully you all will enjoy them. Here are the changes to the game for version 1.2

new scoring system in everlasting mode, with point bonus powerups
new unlockable menu
unlockable skifree inspired ending after level 3 is completed
Graphical Upgrades including shadows
game now runs at default clock speed (222), previously ran at max clock speed (333)
new loading screen
Cleaned up code alot, faster code
smaller overall filesize
new data input system
Other small changes and bugfixes (too many and too small to list)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii93/Buddy_Pillar/screenshot2-1.png

Thats right QJ, you wanted a SkiFree ending, you got one! (you'll just have to wait to unlock it to see it muhahaha)

To install simply extract the zip file, then copy the Pssxp_1.2 folder into you GAME150 folder and run from the game menu.

Responses to questions will only be read and answered here at http://www.HomebrewHeaven.net. Any other news site that decides to host it or post the news, link to this page as a source.

Download via
HomebrewHeaven.net (http://homebrewheaven.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4246&p=31075#p31075)
HH Direct DL (http://www.homebrewheaven.net/download/file.php?id=694)
Or below (at HomebrewHeaven.net)
Buddy4point0

Source: Homebrew Heaven (http://homebrewheaven.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4246&p=31075#p31075)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Buddy4point0
May 26th, 2008, 23:47
Thanks for posting the news here!
I hope you all enjoy this everyone!

Shrygue
May 26th, 2008, 23:52
Nice work Buddy4point0, I'll download and give this a go.

warsaw
May 27th, 2008, 00:01
Can we get a local download link please. You are forced to sign up to this HH forum to download it and I really can't be bothered.

Safari Al
May 27th, 2008, 00:02
there is a local download. I don't see how it's so hard to go through 2 or 3 pages. :/

Buddy4point0
May 27th, 2008, 00:07
Can we get a local download link please. You are forced to sign up to this HH forum to download it and I really can't be bothered.

Its definitely uploaded to dcemu as well.
I put the download link there because yes, I would like to you sign up for Homebrew Heaven, but I also asked for it to be uploaded to dcemu so that you dont HAVE to.
I'm not sure how you didn't see the download.:rofl:

Hey al, under source:homebrew heaven can you put Download Below?
Just in case there are more people who dont see it.

DimensionT
May 27th, 2008, 01:39
Awesome, man! Now I have some pretty new shadows and stuff to look at while I try getting passed lvl 4 for the 1,000th time.

Damned trees -_-

Thanks for the update.

andwhyisit
May 27th, 2008, 02:19
Why does the snowboarder move up the screen instead of down it? It makes the perspective feel wrong. :confused:

Buddy4point0
May 27th, 2008, 02:31
Why does the snowboarder move up the screen instead of down it? It makes the perspective feel wrong. :confused:

Yea, he does move up. I think it's fine but a lot of people tell me that they think it should be the other way. I just imagine it as not that step of a hill and the camera more overhead. Idk, I'm aware its not perfect but I'm not gonna change it now.

jurkevicz
May 27th, 2008, 02:49
it's a fun game!

Buddy4point0
May 27th, 2008, 03:22
it's a fun game!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

kcajblue
May 27th, 2008, 06:26
nice to see youre still working on this buddy.
its looking great.

Shadowblind
May 27th, 2008, 06:37
Nice, a type of sports game. Much better then all this mario sidescroller homebrew obsession crap people have been doing lately. Props Buddy4.0!

Mr. Shizzy
May 27th, 2008, 16:12
Wow, a lot of improvements :)

Good to see you are still maintaining this game Buddy.
I've always liked it.

Buddy4point0
May 27th, 2008, 20:41
Thanks everyone!
Im glad you guys like it.

Expect even more improvments soon.
The next version will be a total redo of all the menus, system cleanup, and the way all the game modes work. Right now It is a little heckteck with stuff kind of everywhere but the next version should be much more organized!

warsaw
May 28th, 2008, 00:10
Oh lol, I dunno how I missed the download link either! Cheers for that!

Hmmm, I'm running 3.90 M33 on a PSP Phat and this is what I get after the splash screens :

error: menu.lua too new: read version 5.1; expected at most 5.0
Error: No script file found.

Press start to restart

Then nothing more.

Anyone else got these problems?

:(

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 00:48
Oh lol, I dunno how I missed the download link either! Cheers for that!

Hmmm, I'm running 3.90 M33 on a PSP Phat and this is what I get after the splash screens :

error: menu.lua too new: read version 5.1; expected at most 5.0
Error: No script file found.

Press start to restart

Then nothing more.

Anyone else got these problems?

:(
OH NO!
I just downloaded this and checked it out. I got the same error! I'll fix this PRONTO!

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 00:53
Omg, I'm glad that my scrolling code is so usefull to you all but for goodness sake change the background and give me the credit for it. Buddy4point0 we have already been over this and I had hoped that you had learned from the last release of your game. Please give credit where credit is due.

The backgrounds in your game have the same hashcode as the pics from the last release of penguin bobsled. Sigh...

How hard is it for you to add the simple stament, "build on the work of coderx's Pengbob 2.0"

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 00:55
Here is the last time he tried taking credit for my work. http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77498

Link

Triv1um
May 28th, 2008, 00:57
I recognise this discussion.

Here we go again.

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 00:57
Everyone something is wrong with my complier!
I'm sorry but this version WILL NOT WORK.

I'm working on a fix ASAP

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 00:58
Here is the first release of my app from 2006. His first app was released on October 22nd, 2007. Also using the exact same image hash as this last release.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25161

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 01:00
OMG we've ****ing been over this. I didn't use any of your god damn work. Stop trying to ****ing steal my shit like always!

Buddy yes we have been over this and i thought you would have learned some thing from it.

You game is wonderful and will shurly be added to my colection because it has a great deal of improvments but the fact that the app is sending the message "coderx" to the psp serial port sets off red flags.

I added the serial hex because my app has been modded 7 time each time by different coders.

This is also why it is crashing on the slim btw...

Triv1um
May 28th, 2008, 01:01
Buddy, cant you just release source to shut him the **** up?

Shadowblind
May 28th, 2008, 01:03
CoderX, which script in your PengBob and which script in his PSSX did you and he use the code (respectively)? I wanna clear this up any way I can.

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 01:05
This version doesn't work due to complier issues.
I will be trying to fix this asap.
Sorry guys.

And yes, I probably will have to release the source because I'm really sick of CoderX

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 01:13
The error is a security hex in the images your going to have to replace them, and use the latest version of LUA Player HM because the slims serial changed.

Buddy I just want to help you. I'm 26 years old and really like your app. All I'm doing is asking you to respect something I made over two years ago.

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 01:17
CoderX, which script in your PengBob and which script in his PSSX did you and he use the code (respectively)? I wanna clear this up any way I can.

The top scroll engine was a GPL project and required a sited souce. It's no different than plagiarism. He was free to use and alter it but with credits. If he release the source and I can conferm that the images are the only thing he used i could careless.

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 01:25
The top scroll engine was a GPL project and required a sited souce. It's no different than plagiarism. He was free to use and alter it but with credits.

I did not use any of your script. If your saying I used "your" scrolling engine... Have you ever looked at any scrolling engine? They all look THE SAME.

Snowdrop.1 = Snowdrop.1 + speed
Snowdrop.2 = Snowdrop.2 + speed
if Snowdrop.1 >= 272 then
Snowdrop.1 = -272 + speed
end
if Snowdrop.2 >= 272 then
Snowdrop.2 = -272 + speed
end

and the background image? are you ****ing joking... Its from google about a year ago maybe a little more, for "seamless snow background" It was a 256x256 (or 128x128 i cant remember) tile that i put together into 480x272

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 01:37
Buddy anyone can match the hex. The image is dated as being created on 2/9/2006 the same month my first app was released, and a full year before yours. Just use WinRar to check it. Cant your just admit it

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w42/linuxgx/untitled-1.jpg

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 01:45
Buddy anyone can match the hex. The image is dated as being created on 2/9/2006 the same month my first app was released, and a full year before yours. Just use WinRar to check it. Cant your just admit it

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w42/linuxgx/untitled-1.jpg

I don't know how to check a hex but I can assure you, your incorrect.

edit: hmm, interesting. I'm not really sure why that. Pehaps that Is when I made it and It was coincidence that that was the month of your release.

edit again: well that is wierd. I just checked it in photoshop and yea, it definitely seams like the same image. I could have swarn that I put it together with a 256x256 or 128x128 image but possibly I just got the already made 480x272 image off google. Since you realeased it it is very possible that It could have been on google. Sorry for the misunderstanding I really did not know that it was the same.

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 01:47
Then please explain the date attached to the image you clame to have edited being a year older than your app and the same age as mine? ^_^

Buddy stop lying replace back.jpg and use LuaplayerHM. I want people to play this game already.

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 01:53
I already edited my post before, I guess you didnt see it. Please read my last post. Also don't acuse me of lying. I didnt steal anything from you. "your" scrolling code is a simple example at many different webistes, as is mine, as is everyone's who has ever written a scrolling code.

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 01:56
Last edited by CoderX : Today at 02:50.
Last edited by Buddy4point0 : Today at 02:51.

Yea you edited it after i commented on it lol, wow way to dig a whole. Dude we have been friends for two years. Just release the source. Right now so that we know its fresh, a release a few days from now would prove nothing.

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 02:01
Hey, I think I figured out what happend.
Really I wish you would stop accusing me when I'm not lying.

I found this old screenshot.
http://i27.tinypic.com/2upfpxx.png
That was my original background. I think that is the one I made from the 256x256 or 128x128 tiles. I must have somehow gotten yours at a later point. Please realize this is a misunderstanding.

Last edited by CoderX : Today at 02:50.
Last edited by Buddy4point0 : Today at 02:51.

Yea you edited it after i commented on it lol, wow way to dig a whole. Dude we have been friends for two years. Just release the source. Right now so that we know its fresh, a release a few days from now would prove nothing.

I posted the scrolling part that you said I stole. Clearly Its a standard scrolling script. I don't want to post anymore because I don't want my script to get stolen either.

CoderX
May 28th, 2008, 02:11
All my releases are GNU, its a game i dont care. but as a WINE / Ubuntu Coder I do wish people to respect the GNU laws. At the moment I have the full right to suite on the grounds of copyright violation.

Simply either A) Release source and prove your case, or B) Add a coder citation

Here is a link to the GNU License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html) I will take actions on the grounds of priniple. What whould you do if you relased your code inorder to allow others to learn and someone took you code and images and decided to call it their own, swearing to the death that it was theres.

What does everyone else think about this issue?

I'm going to get some sleep I have to be up at 4am for work.

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 02:27
All my releases are GNU, its a game i dont care. but as a WINE / Ubuntu Coder I do wish people to respect the GNU laws. At the moment I have the full right to suite on the grounds of copyright violation.

Simply either A) Release source and prove your case, or B) Add a coder citation

Here is a link to the GNU License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html) I will take actions on the grounds of priniple. What whould you do if you relased your code inorder to allow others to learn and someone took you code and images and decided to call it their own, swearing to the death that it was theres.

What does everyone else think about this issue?

I'm going to get some sleep I have to be up at 4am for work.

way to just jump to that after i proved to you why your wrong.

Safari Al
May 28th, 2008, 02:32
CoderX get over it, it is not your source. You're taking this way too far.

Shadowblind
May 28th, 2008, 03:09
I love the drama. Though i can say this is interesting...wheres the source link so we can fully clear this up?

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 03:15
I love the drama. Though i can say this is interesting...wheres the source link so we can fully clear this up?

He said I stole the scrolling script. I posted it back a page or 2 ago. Standard stuff...
If he points out certain parts that he says are stolen I will post them aswell

DarthPaul
May 28th, 2008, 03:17
What the hell, CoderX? You again?

Don't you have something better to do?

You've being double-posting so much. I really wish you receive a lot of infractions, man. I don't like, or want to be harsh, but you deserve it.

Shadowblind
May 28th, 2008, 03:21
I did not use any of your script. If your saying I used "your" scrolling engine... Have you ever looked at any scrolling engine? They all look THE SAME.

Snowdrop.1 = Snowdrop.1 + speed
Snowdrop.2 = Snowdrop.2 + speed
if Snowdrop.1 >= 272 then
Snowdrop.1 = -272 + speed
end
if Snowdrop.2 >= 272 then
Snowdrop.2 = -272 + speed
end

and the background image? are you ****ing joking... Its from google about a year ago maybe a little more, for "seamless snow background" It was a 256x256 (or 128x128 i cant remember) tile that i put together into 480x272

Im not finding this code anywhere in PengBob....X can you tell me SPECIFICALLY which .lua file you used it in? And all of you stop the flaming, its just, well, FLAMING the argument. :P

Buddy4point0
May 28th, 2008, 03:27
Im not finding this code anywhere in PengBob....X can you tell me SPECIFICALLY which .lua file you used it in? And all of you stop the flaming, its just, well, FLAMING the argument. :P

Another reason he's mad is because of the background image.
I explained that in this post

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148072294&postcount=35

well I have to go to bed now.
If anyone wishes to ask me about this, or if CoderX would like to continue this argument, please PM me.

Shadowblind
May 28th, 2008, 03:32
Another reason he's mad is because of the background image.
I explained that in this post

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148072294&postcount=35

X, you can get mad about the coding but not really the background image. I'm not gonna take a side just yet, but images and sprites are basically free to all non-commercial projects. I do say BASICALLY, though.

DimensionT
May 28th, 2008, 06:29
I think he's just pissed off because PengBob sucks.

That scrolling code is the same one I used in Assault Mission (only I was awesome enough to figure out the compensation to get rid of the gap between looping tiles)... So, Assault Mission must be a PengBob rip off, right?

No, wait... I don't use that snow texture, so I'm good.

Shame on you Buddy!!!

yaustar
May 28th, 2008, 21:46
CoderX: You have a point about the image which is being resolved but you are stretching the code point WAY too far. The following is your scrolling code:

if Back1X >= 272 then
Back1X = -272
end

if Back2X >= 272 then
Back2X = -272
end

Back1X = Back1X + 3
Back2X = Back2X + 3
The algorithm is ridiculously trivial and can easily be worked out on one's own. Hell, I have some variations of that algorithm in some samples I wrote. The GPL license is fine and all but please exercise some common sense on what parts are unique and enforcible under the GPL and what parts are just plain simple and can be done by any programmer.

Any further discussion in this public thread about this will be faced an instant ban.