PDA

View Full Version : DC vs PS2 vs Xbox vs NGC

Eviltaco64
May 27th, 2008, 03:39
Well once again, Eviltaco64 here.

This time I ask this, what is your favorite out of the last generation of consoles?

Choose from: Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 2, Microsoft Xbox, and Nintendo Gamecube.

SEGA DREAMCAST:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/dreamcast-logo.jpg

Sega's last console in the industry. It was a technical landmark of its day, and was the first of the 6th generation consoles to be released.
The Dreamcast featured many amazing games like:
Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, numerous Capcom and SNK fighters (Marvel vs Capcom 2 and KOF 98 - 2002 recommended), Jet Set/Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue 1 and 2, and many others.

In the world of Homebrew, Dreamcast was, once again, a technical landmark. Most Dreamcasts require no modifications, just some blank CD-Rs and Discjuggler/Bootdreams/Alcohol 120%! Dreamcast emulates NES, Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, some Neo-Geo/NGCD games, some SNES games, and PS1 at fullspeed!
It also has a DivX app and many other entertainment options.

Although Dreamcast is loved by many, it was overshadowed by the Playstation 2. This, along with the pirating of its games by using the Mil-CD feature, was making Sega lose money. So, unfortunately, Sega announced that they would stop manufacturing the Dreamcast in early 2001.
Games were released in large amounts until 2002, and its last commercial game, Karous, was released in 2007. It's homebrew scene is currently dim, but I believe something big is going to happen on the Dreamcast sooner or later.

SONY PLAYSTATION 2:

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/images/8031583261536794.JPG?0.7039043496359251

Released in 2000, this console was highly anticipated and was the best seller of all time even though it started kind of slow and began with a mediocre library of games (what does that make you think of?). DVD playback and PS1 backwards compatibility helped the PS2 in sales as well.
It has an amazing library of games and will probably live on for a few more years (2010?).

When it comes to homebrew, PS2 is alright.
It emulates NES, MS, Genesis, and SNES fullspeed.
It also has many methods of being modded (modchips, swap magic/coder, memor32, independence exploit).
Something that is amazing in the world of ps2 homebrew is memor32 mentioned above.
It actually updates the ps2 memory card firmware allowing it to be a modchip you can simply plug in to your ps2 and boot backups/homebrew!

Playstation 2 will live on for maybe 2 more years, altough these days it mainly gets crappy movie games.

MICROSOFT XBOX:

http://www.sleekteke.com/250px-Xbox_logo_black.jpg

Announced in 2000 as a chrome "X", Microsoft released the Xbox in a very different type of case.
Xbox started out very slow, and probably would've failed if it weren't for Halo: Combat Evolved, but slowly gained steam and ended up being a successful console thanks to it's exclusives (and games that PS2 couldnt handle, like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2) and xbox live giving it some respect in the industry.

Xbox is currently (May 26, 2008) the best console for homebrew. Fullspeed N64 and Playstation, Sega CD and 32X, Neo Geo, CPS1 and 2, XBox Media Center, Linksbox, Youtube, etc. When it comes to cases, controllers (several different cases), hardware (doubling the clock speed and the amount of ram), and even upgrading the hard drive to 400GB and running Windows 98! It's homebrew scene pretty much died out in 2007, although XBMC still gets updates.

Xbox hasnt had any good games since 2006 is no longer supported (coincidentally, it lost support on the same day that Halo 2 was beat by Gears of War on Xbox Live) and its last game were Madden '08 NCAA '08, and Ratatouille.

NINTENDO GAMECUBE

http://www.micro-mobile.com/gamecube_logo.jpg

Gamecube was released in 2001 and was the first nintendo console to feature a disc standard instead of a cartridge. Gamecube ranked third place out of the 6th-gen consoles, and it seems to be mocked for this (even though it only sold 2 million less than the Xbox). The Gamecubes best games were obviously it's first party titles, especially Smash Bros Melee, Mario games, Zelda Twilight Princess, and it also had a few good 3rd party titles (Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur II, Tales of Symphonia, and Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2).

Nintendo Gamecube's homebrew scene is suprisingly still alive thanks to it being technologically similar to the Wii! Currently there is a Genesis/Megadrive emulator receiving updates, a N64 emulator in development, and other apps receiving updates, which is strange to hear since it was at once the slowest homebrew scene out of the 6th gen consoles. Although it still gets updates, modding a gamecube is still pretty difficult if you want to directly boot backups (aka pirated games)
and homebrew. As in getting a special screwdriver (or pressing a semi-melted pen down on the screws), then taking apart the gamecube itself is a mess. Modchip installation is usually easy, only to be followed by the irritating bios flashing!
Or you can just buy SD Media Launcher and a SD card for $40.

Nintendo Gamecube was quickly retired in favor of the Wii, and many of it's games were ported over to the Wii, making it even more forgotten and underrated. It's last game was probably Madden '08 or some Disney or Nickelodeon game.

Well, thats that.

Tell me, DCEmu, what is YOUR favorite 6th generation console?

Typed by: Eviltaco64
Pictures from: numerous sites on Google Image search

Eviltaco64
May 27th, 2008, 03:41
Dreamcast.
End of story.

BlueCrab
May 27th, 2008, 03:43
No contest there. Dreamcast, plain and simple.

Shadowblind
May 27th, 2008, 03:53
Xbox 1 = fail, GC = good, Dreamcast = great, PS2 = amazing. Guess who wins.

ninja9393
May 27th, 2008, 04:08
I have a lot of respect for the DC, Xbox had some good games, so did Gamecube, but PS2 was frekin awesome

I will never give away my Fat PS2 even if it breaks

Triv1um
May 27th, 2008, 10:39
The DC is the better console. No question.

Yet, the PS2 was a bloody good console also, but i feel that the Dreamcast has the edge.

JKKDARK
May 27th, 2008, 10:46
Dreamcast.

Shrygue
May 27th, 2008, 19:36
I've never owned or even tried a Dreamcast console so the Playstation 2 will have to do - the first version of the machine, the 50,003 series unit release in 2003-2004. Mine is the silver one if anyone wants to know, bought second hand for £50 only.

ExcruciationX
May 27th, 2008, 20:17
Moddchipped Xbox FTW!

SSaxdude
May 27th, 2008, 20:21
My order:
Dreamcast
Xbox
PS2
Gamecube

The Dreamcast has the most fun games. The Xbox was good with shooters and was technically impressive at the time. The PS2 had the most games, but the games weren't as fun as DC or Xbox games. The Gamecube had few games that interested me. Nintendo's last great system was the N64.

Eviltaco64
May 27th, 2008, 21:10
Moddchipped Xbox FTW!

I agree. I still use my modded Xbox now!

ExcruciationX
May 27th, 2008, 21:22
Who doesn't? :)

Eviltaco64
May 27th, 2008, 21:51
I actually bought another one to mod (and on this one the dvd drive actually opens!) for like $10 (i think that would be around £3 - £5 for you Brits) at a yard sale.

All I have to do now is find a flash drive to softmod it with.

ExcruciationX
May 27th, 2008, 22:15
Sweet!

I need to hit those garage sales...

Eviltaco64
May 30th, 2008, 00:58
Bump

JKKDARK
May 30th, 2008, 02:01
Why? Dreamcast will win anyway.

Eviltaco64
May 30th, 2008, 02:12
Why? Dreamcast will win anyway.

True, but there's nothing wrong with getting some more votes

ninja9393
May 30th, 2008, 04:46
How did you expect this pole to go when it is a DC emulation site

If it was a strict PS2 emu site, or xbox or whatever they would respect the others like DC but put theres as the best

Triv1um
May 30th, 2008, 11:39
Its nice to see the Gamecube doing well :)

Eviltaco64
May 30th, 2008, 17:40
How did you expect this pole to go when it is a DC emulation site

If it was a strict PS2 emu site, or xbox or whatever they would respect the others like DC but put theres as the best

I dont really care. I already expected the Dreamcast to win when I made this poll, but who cares?
And whenever this poll closes, Im going to make an 8-bit console poll, which would be a lot more interesting because most of the Europeans would probably go with the Master System and most Americans for the NES.

Triv1um
May 30th, 2008, 17:42
because most of the Europeans would probably go with the Master System and most Americans for the NES.

Damn right I would go for the Master System.

Still my favorite (maybe 2nd?) console EVER.

Play Wonder Boy III and try and argue ;)

Eviltaco64
June 2nd, 2008, 20:34
Damn right I would go for the Master System.

Still my favorite (maybe 2nd?) console EVER.

Play Wonder Boy III and try and argue ;)

I must admit, I've played Wonder Boy III and it is one of the best looking 8-bit titles I've ever played.

BlueCrab
June 3rd, 2008, 04:33
I must admit, I've played Wonder Boy III and it is one of the best looking 8-bit titles I've ever played.

And who could forget the original Phantasy Star with its 3D dungeons (and how much better they looked than those of the original NES version of Final Fantasy).

JKKDARK
June 3rd, 2008, 17:24
I dont really care. I already expected the Dreamcast to win when I made this poll, but who cares?
And whenever this poll closes, Im going to make an 8-bit console poll, which would be a lot more interesting because most of the Europeans would probably go with the Master System and most Americans for the NES.

Master System was more popular on Brazil, Australia and New Zealand. It was a tie on Europe.

Eviltaco64
June 4th, 2008, 19:40
Master System was more popular on Brazil, Australia and New Zealand. It was a tie on Europe.

I always thought that the Master System had more of the marketshare than the NES did over there.

VampDude
June 5th, 2008, 23:37
Im going to make an 8-bit console poll, which would be a lot more interesting because most of the Europeans would probably go with the Master System and most Americans for the NES.

The Master System sucked, I preferred the NES, I never had a Master System (I have a GameGear though - which is technically a handheld Master System), but my uncle had a Master System for around a few months when Sonic 2 was released for it (I had the Megadrive version - lol).

The Master System sucks so bad that I will never own an emulator to play (though I did have one for the DC), I was offered a converter for the Megadrive a few years back at a cheap price of £20 including 9 boxed games (which I refused).

JKKDARK
June 5th, 2008, 23:48
Graphically, Master System destroys the NES.

VampDude
June 6th, 2008, 00:01
Graphically, Master System destroys the NES.

In playability, the Master System sucked...

...I mean, who in the right mind would want to keep getting up to hit the button on the console to pause the game etc, the NES had all the required buttons on one pad.

Eviltaco64
June 6th, 2008, 00:18
I myself prefer the NES, only because I think it has better games to offer.

The Master System rocks, but some games that I grew up playing in 16-bit just didnt seem right in 8-bit, especially Sonic games (except the 8-bit sonic 1, that one was ok).
Still, the Master System had some ace games.

Eviltaco64
June 14th, 2008, 08:20
Any more voters?
Vote Eviltaco64's Poll '08

Eviltaco64
June 18th, 2008, 09:00
One more week!

Triv1um
June 18th, 2008, 15:57
Someone voted gamecube? awww, how cute.

JKKDARK
June 18th, 2008, 15:59
I thought Gamecube was more popular than Xbox here at DCEmu.

Triv1um
June 18th, 2008, 16:00
The XBOX has the good homebrew, because of its power.

Darksaviour69
June 18th, 2008, 16:03
personally?

Dreamcast > Xbox > Gamecube > gettinkicked in the balls > PS2

:)

Triv1um
June 18th, 2008, 16:34
personally?

Dreamcast > Xbox > Gamecube > gettinkicked in the balls > PS2

:)

Wow, really?

What you got against the PS2? Its a good console.

Much better than the XBOX in my opinion.

Capt_Trips
June 18th, 2008, 17:00
The Dreamcast is and always will be the best.

As an aside, since the Dreamcast is in fact finally dead (seven years later,) Damn Sega!

Strictly for homebrew, I have been told X-Box is the best (And I still do not believe it.)

Darksaviour69
June 19th, 2008, 08:43
Wow, really?

na, I just like to get kicked in the balls

quzar
June 19th, 2008, 14:59
The XBOX has the good homebrew, because of its power.

As far as I've ever seen there are only maybe 10 or so homebrew games/emus/apps/whathaveyou for the xbox. The rest is just PC programs that have new menus on them. It's less than porting, and they even have to use a stolen package to create them.

Eviltaco64
July 5th, 2008, 09:08
Well it looks like Dreamcast won by a landslide! It deserves it 100% too.

EDIT: Coming up next, Favorite Handheld poll.

masterchief929
July 5th, 2008, 14:24
meh... i never really got to play the dreamcast because my bro got rid of it after about 6 months or so of owning it and i was pretty young. (im 14 yr. old now)