PDA

View Full Version : SNES9X v.3.0 LoPsT - Snes Emulator for Nintendo Wii

wraggster
May 27th, 2008, 21:46
LoPsT (http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_emu-snes9x-v-3-0-sincronizacion-rapida-wiimote-pal60-etc_1030026)has released a new version of the Snes Emulator for Nintendo Wii:

Heres whats new:

On the menu in this version:
-- Support for 2 wiimotes (synchro fast)
-- Support CSA classic.
-- Support Nunchuk.
-- Support for SD Frontal (to load Roma and backups).
-- Support for savegame directly into the gcram (out of emu).
-- Support for files on behalf long.
-- Support for compressed files to Zip.
-- Support the return to the "HomeBrew Channel."
-- Support for RGB cable PAL60.
-- Support for PAD Gamecube.

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

DimensionT
May 27th, 2008, 22:04
"-- Support for files on behalf long."

Does this mean support for file names longer then 8 characters?

wraggster
May 27th, 2008, 22:06
dunno translation engines are sucky :P

Brainy142
May 27th, 2008, 22:09
I aplogise to any inconvience my previous post might have made. This emulator doesn't have any bugs.

stupid wiki

on a brighter note, the wiimote connecton has very much improved. AND you can use a wiimote and a GC controler!!!!!

h2923j42n2
May 27th, 2008, 22:20
"-- Support for files on behalf long."

Does this mean support for file names longer then 8 characters?

According to GBATemp (http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=88135), it means "Support for long file name.", so I would assume that is what it means.

This version includes:

-- Support for 2 Wiimote (fast connection)
-- Support Command classic
-- Support Nunchuk
-- Support SD Front (to load roms and savegames)
-- Support savegame direct gcram
-- Support for long file name.
-- Support for compressed files in ZIP
-- Support exit to the menu of Homebrew Channel.
-- Support for consoles with RGB cable PAL60 (finally!)

Baboon
May 27th, 2008, 22:22
Cooll... I'll give this a whirl seeing as im having trouble with the other snes emus on the homebrew channel. :)

DimensionT
May 27th, 2008, 22:22
Yeah, I had Darth Paul translate it for me.

- Support for 2 Wiimotes(fast connection).
- Support for classic controller.
- Support for Nunchuck(diagonals work)
- Support for frontal SD(to load roms and savegames)
- Support of savegames directly gcram(now it saves when you exit the emulator).
- Support for files with a lot of characters in the name
- Support for compressed files in ZIP.
- Support for exit to the menu of the Homebrew Channel.
- Support for consoles with cable RGC PAL60(finally!).
- Support for GameCube controllers(why not) xD

I've been waiting for the full name length!

Baboon
May 27th, 2008, 22:38
Tested a few games and the 'snes9x eng' elf runs great on my pal wii via the homebrew channel! ...classic controllers, wavebird etc all seem to work perfect! Nice release! :)

Chrono0001
May 27th, 2008, 23:10
I've got the other wiimote version of Snes9xGX that uses ID numbers for save files...I'm assuming I'll have to switch them to work on this version?

goshogun1
May 28th, 2008, 00:44
Great release! Having saves, and a list of games I can actually read that aren't abbreviations helps immensely. But, every time I enter the rom list it stops for like 30 seconds, as if it is compiling the list of roms. Aside from that, I am impressed.
Now if we can get a snes emu that runs in 420p...

samoflak
May 28th, 2008, 02:31
anyone got a tut on how i set this up to work with the HBC?

Kenzya
May 28th, 2008, 03:05
You set this up like EVERY OTHER app you've put in the HBC.

I had a wiimote+attatchment release already but this release just infuriates me. Why is the left and right on the Wiimote up and down? That one single thing is throwing me off. Oh, and also reconfiguring buttons on the nunchuck..... why not? :(

monoufo
May 28th, 2008, 04:32
You set this up like EVERY OTHER app you've put in the HBC.

I had a wiimote+attatchment release already but this release just infuriates me. Why is the left and right on the Wiimote up and down? That one single thing is throwing me off. Oh, and also reconfiguring buttons on the nunchuck..... why not? :(

maybe because you are supposed to hold the wiimote sideways.

no one has bothered to make any program with reconfigurable buttons yet. Maybe you can remap them in the emulator.

supersoni88
May 28th, 2008, 09:56
Awesome!!
thanks! man i love this scene...:D

lever
May 28th, 2008, 10:38
It is great! Long file name & .zip file, i like it.

____anders____
May 28th, 2008, 10:53
great, i'm gonna get this when i get home:)

Gold Line
May 28th, 2008, 11:08
First i downloaded it from here and it didn't work, i coulden't load any roms all i got was a colored screen of death.
but then i downloaded it from wiibrew and it worked perfectly :)

Carlotta_Monroe
May 28th, 2008, 12:18
These are .dol files, do dol files work with HBC? I've only used .elf before.

msdmario
May 28th, 2008, 13:31
These are .dol files, do dol files work with HBC? I've only used .elf before.

The elf files are there as well. They just have their own folder in the same location as the .dol files.

Carlotta_Monroe
May 28th, 2008, 15:40
The elf files are there as well. They just have their own folder in the same location as the .dol files.

Oops! So it is, thanks. :thumbup:

kharaboudjan
May 28th, 2008, 16:49
so how is this emu?

fullspeed snes games without FS? yoshis island, super turrican etc?

if so, im going to buy myself a WII :)

kratozero
May 28th, 2008, 17:06
does anyone know if this supports sram saving to Wii SD card?

vicious1988
May 28th, 2008, 17:11
I'm pretty sure it does. Only things I'd like to see in this emulator now are port choosing (so you can put wiimote/CC on port 5 for some bomberman action) and netplay.

KristenBaldousor
May 28th, 2008, 17:13
Man, this is pure gold

Fast connection, auto save, long file names, zip files, and works perfectly with the Homebrew channel

Man, Scene is comming great on Wii!!!!!!!

Baboon
May 28th, 2008, 17:35
Only things I'd like to see in this emulator now are port choosing (so you can put wiimote/CC on port 5 for some bomberman action) and netplay.

I second that! :thumbup:

mogwaimon
May 28th, 2008, 19:07
I think multi-tap is already supported in the emulator, saw an option for it somewhere. Anyways, about sram saving, I got an sram-related error while booting an app and saving in it as well. looked like 'f_open failed -3' or some such. Any idea what the issue is? It is saving to Wii SD.

vicious1988
May 28th, 2008, 22:16
Multitap is supported. It didn't work for me in this build though. But what I meant is letting you choose the port for each controller (e.g. instead of Wiimote 1 being port 1). That way you can have a controller in port 5.

fariswheel609
May 28th, 2008, 22:34
So how do I burn this to a disc and play it on my modded Wii? Why is there no tutorial for this?

Kenzya
May 29th, 2008, 01:14
maybe because you are supposed to hold the wiimote sideways.

no one has bothered to make any program with reconfigurable buttons yet. Maybe you can remap them in the emulator.

Yes, and I'm saying that feature is extremely helpful when trying to play games with an attachment in the wiimote. You can remap buttons, but not on the nunchuck and I remember, maybe I'm wrong, on the other release you could remap the buttons even on the nunchuck.

mogwaimon
May 29th, 2008, 01:27
Multitap is supported. It didn't work for me in this build though. But what I meant is letting you choose the port for each controller (e.g. instead of Wiimote 1 being port 1). That way you can have a controller in port 5.

Ah, I gotcha, that would be useful indeed, especially since the Wii has native 8 player support (..I think, maybe I'm thinking of the PS3)

fariswheel609
May 29th, 2008, 01:41
Hey how about a LINK to a tutorial on how to put this onto a disc, I already have the burning software and media, just need the how-to.

justinswood
May 29th, 2008, 07:50
so how is this emu?

fullspeed snes games without FS? yoshis island, super turrican etc?

if so, im going to buy myself a WII :)

Yes, Yoshis Island runs full speed, not tried turrican though.

Skm
May 29th, 2008, 13:53
Hey how about a LINK to a tutorial on how to put this onto a disc, I already have the burning software and media, just need the how-to.

dont be so lazy. the tutorials are all around this site. :)

thanx for the updated emu!!!

fariswheel609
May 29th, 2008, 15:18
dont be so lazy. the tutorials are all around this site. :)

thanx for the updated emu!!!

Oh yea? All over the site? You would imagine if there were that many tutorials I wouldn't be asking but even after searching for bootable disc tutorials nothing has come up. I don't think it's too hard to link to a bootable disc tutorial.

fariswheel609
May 29th, 2008, 16:13
Alright so here's what I did:

Got the .dol from the download here, renamed it "bootldr.dol", put it in the "my_bootable_disk" folder along with my Snes roms in a folder and then created the image.

Then when I go to put it in my Wii, the Gamecube sign comes up but when I start it, all I see is a black screen. Any ideas on curing this?

CronoSage
May 29th, 2008, 20:41
I also wouldn't mind seeing an option to Auto-Save SRAM to savearea every x minutes (15/30/45/60) in-game for those who don't pay attention, power failure,freeze/lockup situations. I do like that all you have to do is bring up the menu to save, very nice touch.

Edit: Stupid question, but does the sound echo option emulate SNES sound proccessing functions or is it solely sound enhancement for the emulator?

KainShadow
May 29th, 2008, 21:52
mmmh but the Sticks on the Classic pad aren't supported? cause is the only thing i want from the features of this emu lol

kingslime80
May 29th, 2008, 22:12
Is anyone else having problems with importing the saves from the earlier versions? As it is none of them work, and when it tries to save it saves what looks like a game-genie code as the name. I'd really like to import my saves from the computer, thanks.

paco9060
May 29th, 2008, 22:23
^KingSlime

I did notice that as well. I eventually got the old saves to work but not without a little elbow grease:

First of all, delete any of the NEW saves that the emulator created. Every new save I have seen is an arbitrary combination of letters and numbers like "85Hdk003.srm". Just delete them all for now.

Then drag and drop your old saves into the save folder. If I'm not mistaken they usually have the same title as the game they are from, like "Mario RPG.srm" or at least something similar. Just leave them there for now.

Next you take the SD and put it in the Wii then load up the emulator. When you load a rom everything should be fine but when it checks for a save file it will pause with a message like "cannot find snes9x/saves/85Hdk003.srm". Whatever .srm name it gives you, go WRITE IT DOWN. Then without loading the game exit the emulator (so a new save is not created) and turn off your Wii.

Take the SD, put it back in your computer and rename the orignal .srm save with the new name that your WROTE DOWN earlier, you know, the one with the letters and numbers. Once renamed this take the SD, pop it in the Wii, boot up your game, and the save should now be recognized.

There has got to be an easier way to do it but for now, this is what I found works.

Chrono0001
May 29th, 2008, 22:48
^KingSlime

I did notice that as well. I eventually got the old saves to work but not without a little elbow grease:

First of all, delete any of the NEW saves that the emulator created. Every new save I have seen is an arbitrary combination of letters and numbers like "85Hdk003.srm". Just delete them all for now.

Then drag and drop your old saves into the save folder. If I'm not mistaken they usually have the same title as the game they are from, like "Mario RPG.srm" or at least something similar. Just leave them there for now.

Next you take the SD and put it in the Wii then load up the emulator. When you load a rom everything should be fine but when it checks for a save file it will pause with a message like "cannot find snes9x/saves/85Hdk003.srm". Whatever .srm name it gives you, go WRITE IT DOWN. Then without loading the game exit the emulator (so a new save is not created) and turn off your Wii.

Take the SD, put it back in your computer and rename the orignal .srm save with the new name that your WROTE DOWN earlier, you know, the one with the letters and numbers. Once renamed this take the SD, pop it in the Wii, boot up your game, and the save should now be recognized.

There has got to be an easier way to do it but for now, this is what I found works.

Will the ID Save number from a previous version work with this? Or does this one create a whole new code...?

KainShadow
May 29th, 2008, 23:32
no one knows if there's a version with Classic Pad's Stick support? the old ones are only 4-way (no up-left or down-right, for example) , and this one has no support of the entire stick :|

firedragon_jing
May 30th, 2008, 00:52
This is so awesome, I just installed the homebrew channel, ran this, it works flawlessly. All my Roms work at full speed, and work even better than on my PSP and PC. It runs my swc Illusion of Gaia file, runs Pilotwings, Starfox, and even runs Starfox 2 which I have patched twice for English and bug correction.

Skm
May 30th, 2008, 04:25
yeah, this build is pretty much perfect!!

only thing im dreaming of is:
NETPLAY!!!

is there any possibility this will be added anytime soon? the HBC connects to the internet, so by using that code online snes gaming could be realised.

A DREAM COME TRUE!!!!

karlgross
May 31st, 2008, 09:38
I'm having a strange problem here:
I put the "snes9x eng" folder with all its contents into the "apps" directory on my SD card and the roms in the "/snes9x/roms/" folder (under root). When I go into the "Homebrew channel" and select the SNES emu, all starts fine (except the emu doesn't find the attached classic controller directly - I have to re-attach it to be found), but when I select "Load New Game" it will tell me:

(Wii SD card setting) > Error mounting WiiSD: 0
(Slot A): Error reading dev0:\snes9x\roms
(Slot B): Error reading dev1:\snes9x\roms

Do you know any solution? :confused:
Thanks alot!

After looking further into that issue I realized that the SD card was formatted as FAT32. All other emus had no problem with that, but SNES9x did. I now re-formatted the card with FAT16 and it's working fine!

grossaffe
May 31st, 2008, 10:03
yeah, this build is pretty much perfect!!

only thing im dreaming of is:
NETPLAY!!!

is there any possibility this will be added anytime soon? the HBC connects to the internet, so by using that code online snes gaming could be realised.

A DREAM COME TRUE!!!!

even the PC version doesn't have netplay yet (but i read that they are working on it), so i doubt it'll be on the wii anytime soon. unless someone decides to port ZSNES.

Chrono0001
May 31st, 2008, 14:57
I'm having a problem with this emulator...It can't save at all, it just says something like "error 8" or w/e. Everything is in the correct folders and whatnot, but it can't save any files...

I'm useing the HomeBrew Channel, if that sometimes affects this stuff...

vicious1988
May 31st, 2008, 16:37
There's netplay on snes9x. Its a bitch to use though, highly laggy too.

masterchief929
May 31st, 2008, 18:27
i just like playing the classic snes games by myself. me sitting in my room with the wiimote in my hand playing the classics. *smiles*

grossaffe
May 31st, 2008, 18:52
There's netplay on snes9x. Its a bitch to use though, highly laggy too.

If i remember correctly, they removed the netplay in the more recent versions because of just how awful it was. But after the latest release of snes9x, they said they were working on getting a working netplay.

Bobelvago
June 1st, 2008, 02:36
Everytime I download this, Winrar says some of the files are corrupted etc, re-upload please?

karlgross
June 1st, 2008, 09:07
Anybody else noticed this emulator running TOO fast? When I try to play "F-Zero" it has a boost + 50%. It's not unplayable, but it's really annoying (especially the LSD'd music)... :eek:

Xax
June 3rd, 2008, 23:31
I won't have my SD card reader for a few more days. Is it possible to put ROMs on the DVD with the emulator, or can ROMs only be loaded from SD?

CronoSage
June 4th, 2008, 00:22
I do notice that Super Mario World runs fast.

WizardOfOdd
June 11th, 2008, 13:17
Hi, hoping someone can help. I would have started a topic but I wasn't sure where I could put it.

There seem to be loads of SNES emu's for the Wii. I want one which will run via the homebrew channel and let me play using the Wii Classic Controller.

Which should I choose?

Thanks!

KristenBaldousor
June 11th, 2008, 20:20
Hi, hoping someone can help. I would have started a topic but I wasn't sure where I could put it.

There seem to be loads of SNES emu's for the Wii. I want one which will run via the homebrew channel and let me play using the Wii Classic Controller.

Which should I choose?

Thanks!

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116116

Soulshifter
June 25th, 2008, 03:15
I also get Error 8 when I try to save. What gives?

Ylizor
June 27th, 2008, 04:23
When I press anything on the emulator menu (Load ROM, Emulator Options anything) I get this screen and it freezes:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8786/dsc02890dc9.jpg

Anybody got an idea what I might have done wrong?

kingslime80
June 27th, 2008, 04:36
Use an older version with the Homebrew Launcher. You can use the launcher from the Homebrew Channel.

Ylizor
June 27th, 2008, 04:58
But I like updates... :confused:

h2923j42n2
June 27th, 2008, 05:55
When I press anything on the emulator menu (Load ROM, Emulator Options anything) I get this screen and it freezes:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8786/dsc02890dc9.jpg

Anybody got an idea what I might have done wrong?

Are you loading a ROM from the SD card before you select 'Play Game'? That looks like the Color Demo screen. Also, if that is what it is, you can use R + Z on the GameCube controller to get back to the emulator menu. I'm not sure what it is on any Wii controls.

Ylizor
June 27th, 2008, 06:41
It turned out that I used the 2 button on the Wiimote instead of A.
Next error I got was the "Opendir(/snes9x/roms) failed with -64.", you'd think that would be the 'X:\apps\snes9x\roms' folder but it turned out again that it had to be 'X:\snes9x\roms'.
Thanks for that R + Z thing! These things come extremly unclear. :(
I still don't understand the whole picture about the use of SD-cards (how to put the folders right and what files where etc).

h2923j42n2
June 27th, 2008, 08:23
It turned out that I used the 2 button on the Wiimote instead of A.
Next error I got was the "Opendir(/snes9x/roms) failed with -64.", you'd think that would be the 'X:\apps\snes9x\roms' folder but it turned out again that it had to be 'X:\snes9x\roms'.
Thanks for that R + Z thing! These things come extremly unclear. :(
I still don't understand the whole picture about the use of SD-cards (how to put the folders right and what files where etc).

Yeah, on the root of the SD card, you need to create a folder called 'snes9x'. I'm not sure, but it may be case sensitive. In that folder, create two folders, and name them 'roms' and 'saves'. Now, place your ROMs in the 'roms' folder. None of this goes into the 'apps' folder, except the SNES9X ELF, XML information page, and the banner. By the sound and looks of it, you already have that set up correctly.

Ylizor
June 27th, 2008, 18:07
Yeah I figured it out, thanks for your time h2923j42n2!

kingslime80
June 27th, 2008, 20:54
Are you loading a ROM from the SD card before you select 'Play Game'? That looks like the Color Demo screen. Also, if that is what it is, you can use R + Z on the GameCube controller to get back to the emulator menu. I'm not sure what it is on any Wii controls.

Left or Right on the C-stick works too.

RockyRan
June 28th, 2008, 03:15
Does anyone know if I can put symbols in the game names now (like those crazy legends like (U) [!] and the like that are attached to a ton of ROMs), or can I still not put them in ?

davidw89
June 28th, 2008, 08:17
This emulator does not work
i get a red/orange screen..no matter what settings i go into
sigh

h2923j42n2
June 28th, 2008, 09:16
Left or Right on the C-stick works too.

Thanks. I forgot about that one.

Does anyone know if I can put symbols in the game names now (like those crazy legends like (U) [!] and the like that are attached to a ton of ROMs), or can I still not put them in ?

I don't see why not. You would just have to add them, and see how the emulator reacts to it. I remove the extensions from my ROMs, and the emulator does not have any problems loading them.

sigh

I'm not sure, but you may want to try the PAL version, if you aren't already. However, I believe that the PAL version is in Spanish.

metaleggman
June 28th, 2008, 09:43
Anyone know why I can't just start a game that requires saves? I always have to create a dummy file according to the error message before loading on my computer...It's pretty freaking annoying.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I use the save state manager to fix this problem?

And just in case the former paragraph was confusing, these are the steps I take to play games like Donkey Kong Country or Super Metroid (SRAM):

put rom on SD card

Load SNES emu on Homebrew Channel

Load Rom

Read Error message

Note down the "missing" SRAM file's filename

Go on computer

Create a blank txt document

rename it to "missing" SRAM's complete filename

Load game successfully

This method works, but it's ridiculously arduous. Any help on doing it the right or easier way? Does anyone else have to do this?

If I missed a post, just refer me to it. I searched before, but I couldn't find any help to my problem...

Btw, I'm using the Wii's SD slot to load roms/sram, etc

h2923j42n2
June 28th, 2008, 09:50
Anyone know why I can't just start a game that requires saves? I always have to create a dummy file according to the error message before loading on my computer...It's pretty freaking annoying.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I use the save state manager to fix this problem?

And just in case the former paragraph was confusing, these are the steps I take to play games like Donkey Kong Country or Super Metroid (SRAM):

put rom on SD card

Load SNES emu on Homebrew Channel

Load Rom

Read Error message

Note down the "missing" SRAM file's filename

Go on computer

Create a blank txt document

rename it to "missing" SRAM's complete filename

Load game successfully

This method works, but it's ridiculously arduous. Any help on doing it the right or easier way? Does anyone else have to do this?

If I missed a post, just refer me to it. I searched before, but I couldn't find any help to my problem...

Btw, I'm using the Wii's SD slot to load roms/sram, etc

I believe that it will only say that once. After that, the SRAM file will have been created on your SD card, and it will stop. If you want to stop that, you will need to turn the automatic SRAM save off. I believe that it is in 'File Management'.

Ylizor
June 28th, 2008, 15:55
sigh

Isn't that the same screen I got first? Are you using the A-button to press on Play Game etc (instead of 2, which is logical if you hold the Wiimote horizontal)?

metaleggman
June 29th, 2008, 00:31
I believe that it will only say that once. After that, the SRAM file will have been created on your SD card, and it will stop. If you want to stop that, you will need to turn the automatic SRAM save off. I believe that it is in 'File Management'. I've got a game of Galaxy running right now, so I can't check right now, but I'll go back and see if this works once I exit. Thanks! :)

amadasan1988
June 29th, 2008, 17:31
I have a super famicom classic controller and was wondering, how can I go back to the menu? any button combinations or anything? the controller has no home button and the wii mote is unusable when the controller is attached. plus, when I remove the controller the home button on the wii mote turns into a start button. any ideas??? would love to play my old games without this pain :(
I'm using 3.1