PDA

View Full Version : QuakeWii WIP20080528 - Major Update

Brainy142
May 28th, 2008, 23:00
Elaun (http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32237#post32237) has given us a lot in just a matter of days

Uploaded a work in progress version to show what I've been doing.

For now:
-It resets properly on the Wii (still not able to return to the loader, though.)
-Reads files from the front Wii SD slot (saving disabled, forgot to reenable it before uploading, but you can remove the return lines on SYS_FileOpenWrite and SYS_FileWrite to make it work.)
-Wiimote suport, tried to map the buttons on the wiimote and nunchuk more or less like the gamecube ones, wiimote IR aiming and nunchuk up-motion jumping.

Bugs:
-Wiimote disconnects too fast, need to read the libogc headers again and determine how to make the idle time longer.
-If the wiimote disconnects, screen turns grey (only the game screen, not the status bar or menu) and stays this way until you reload the game (starting a new game won't help)
-Maybe you'll have to disconnect and reconnect the nunchuk to your wiimote to make it work (again, this is a 1-day, no-prior-experience implementation, it will be fixed)
-Something else I can't remember.

That's it, please don't complain about the wiimote implementation and SD card reading yet. The wiimote code is completely new to me (and I don't know about the real stability of the code on the libogc cvs) and the SD reading doesn't use libfat yet, but use the wiisd functions from the latest libogc CVS.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

souLLy
May 29th, 2008, 00:26
Freaking awesome, I just tried this out and it's already looking ace. Some minor wiimote aiming issues and the palatte could use some tweaking, but another excellent release :D

Vernonjr
May 29th, 2008, 01:08
wow this is really really impressive, funny how you claim you don't know what your doing with the controls yet it controls better than half of the wii's fps's. Great job.

samoflak
May 29th, 2008, 01:34
this is really great, controls are great so far.

any chance you could get it working with the tenebrae version of quake? That would be truely epic

vicious1988
May 29th, 2008, 01:53
Guys, you jump way ahead. Elaun stated when he took over the project that his experience in Wii programming is minimal. Porting Tenebrae over is different then standard Quake. Tenebrae is hardware accelerated, meaning you'd have to bust out some major GX coding.

Of course, I wouldn't doubt Elaun's ability if it were to be attempted.

fook123
May 29th, 2008, 04:05
It wont load on my wii. I have the ID1 folder on my sd cards root and im loading it using The homebrew loader method. :(

EDIT: I finally got it working (had to update to the Homebrew channel) and I am loving every secong of it. I just cant find what I have to change to save the game. I also cannot wait till multyplayer is up and running on this(if ever). Just imagine DS vs PC vs Wii vs PSP.

____anders____
May 29th, 2008, 13:14
great i've been waiting for this a LONG time now, awesome with the wiimote + nunchuck support:D

and of course the front SD support!:)

Baboon
May 29th, 2008, 18:34
Nice release. :)

The controls on this WIP are fantastic!

I'll have a go with my classic Simpsons Dreamcast mod of quake next and see if that works...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:-b_ZHJdqB22xpM:http://covers.torrentreactor.net/covers/195287-1.jpg

edit: Ahh gutted its a no go. :(

The emu boots up but as soon as it goes to the options it crashes and comes up with loadsa text on a black screen. :(

Hopefully in time mods will work?

jrsmaster411
May 29th, 2008, 23:40
very good for one days work hopefully we'll see multiplayer support in a future release

samoflak
May 30th, 2008, 00:33
multiplayer support would be pretty intense,

I don't know how hard this would be but i had an idea with regards to aiming.

as Quake always shoots at the centre of the image (but our crosshairs are moving about due to the wii pointer) how about a system where we have one regular cross hair centered in the middle that doesnt move, and a slightly transparent one (maybe a diff shape) that signifies where the wii pointer is ?

Nintendo Maniac 64
May 30th, 2008, 01:16
One thing that'd help is to not have the wiimote crosshair go offscreen, just have it stay against the side and then you won't end up loosing control.

vicious1988
May 30th, 2008, 01:41
The aiming issue has been fixed. It should be available on the SVN. A compiled version hasn't been uploaded.

masterchief929
May 30th, 2008, 02:58
i don't have my wii right now, but i am definitely going to try this out once i get it back.

fook123
May 30th, 2008, 03:08
This needs online and keyboard support

vicious1988
May 30th, 2008, 15:51
Ya, and mouse too. Then it will be just like playing on a PC!!!!

Sir_Voe
May 30th, 2008, 18:29
This project has been updated again to include saving and a much improved aiming system (among other things). I'm stuck on Wii Opera ATM, so I can't post a link, but there is a link at wiibrew.org for anyone intersted.

fook123
May 30th, 2008, 18:57
Ya, and mouse too. Then it will be just like playing on a PC!!!!

I only wanted keyboard support for cheats :(

fook123
May 30th, 2008, 19:27
sorry for double posting :/

This project has been updated again to include saving and a much improved aiming system (among other things). I'm stuck on Wii Opera ATM, so I can't post a link, but there is a link at wiibrew.org for anyone intersted.

The update is great. heres a link.

http://code.google.com/p/quake-gamecube/downloads/detail?name=Quake_WIP20080530.zip&can=2&q=

tehnoir
May 30th, 2008, 20:56
I only wanted keyboard support for cheats :(

Wouldn't it just be easier to enable a cheat menu?

Athrador
May 31st, 2008, 02:50
This needs RGB PAL60 support too :(

KristenBaldousor
June 1st, 2008, 01:22
Man, i just learned I suck on FPS using the Wiimote-nunchuck. too many years playing with the mouse-keyboard combo, xD

Lets hope we can get a version with multiplayer soon, that would rock!!!!!

KristenBaldousor
June 1st, 2008, 01:22
Edit: double post, i can't find a delete button

Demonic_Cr0w
June 19th, 2008, 03:23
That... Blew me away, if I do say so myself = ) I used the latest version (dunno if it's the same as this one) but here it is http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Quake

Seriously, I had no idea homebrew could be so good = ] I'm quite surprised. If this got Wi-Fi multi player? I would explode to say the least.

fook123
June 19th, 2008, 21:54
That... Blew me away, if I do say so myself = ) I used the latest version (dunno if it's the same as this one) but here it is http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Quake

Seriously, I had no idea homebrew could be so good = ] I'm quite surprised. If this got Wi-Fi multi player? I would explode to say the least.

If you explode i'm sure as hell not cleaning you up.

joshwaan2k
June 21st, 2008, 12:09
Hi Guys

Love this, how do I get music to work?

Thanks

Josh

evilzippy
December 29th, 2008, 05:12
Hey its like 5am im going mad with homebrew random stuff on my wii and while hunting for old quake mods, I thought surely there has to be a way to network our wii's with quake like a LAN online ...... and ping a light bulb, surely using hamachi with the wii attached to the same network would allow for quake wii deathmatch.... if there was an issue with connecting then it might be possible to some how get the Nintendo Wifi adaptor and hamachi running on same pc ???

if anyone's up for trying this out please msg me if you have msn add me [email protected]

I would love to play this online for the sheer fact you aim you point u shoot and on a large screen and I mean 50 inch plus i can see it being very intense lol....

---Skip hamachi try as second option first---

Created a Hamachi Network for trial

Network = wiiquake
password = wiiquake

you could try hosting while on the network see what happens

P.S if I don't reply I am asleep or out 8)

addition to this my Wii is hosting right now
try changing your wii's DNS address to mine
using

https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start/device/nintendo-wii

when in quake try searching for local game if no luck try this IP 67.215.65.132 using the minus button to manually input codes into network join ==67.215.65.132 == which is the IP of my Wii ... main Router IP 80.3.250.1

all of this maybe a waste of time but I don't like giving up easy 8)

please check that I am online in the forum if offline I assure you the server will be to.