PDA

View Full Version : Hell's Highway looks '20% better than Gears'

Shrygue
May 29th, 2008, 19:44
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=143711)

Gearbox president Randy Pitchford reckons the visuals in Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway represent a "15-20 percent" leap over Epic's still rather foxy Gears of War.

Jabbering away enthusiastically this morning during a Ubidays demo of the WWII FPS, Pitchford justified his claim by pointing to the improvements both his studio and tech creator Epic have made to the engine since Marcus Fenix grunted onto 360 in late 2006.

"Hell's Highway is Unreal Engine 3, it's the engine that powered Gears of War," he reminded us. "Now since Gears of War, Epic's invested a lot in the technology and it's much better than what was in Gears. And we've worked a lot on this technology; so you're seeing fidelity that's about 15-20 percent higher than Gears of War."

Hell's Highway is the third instalment in the Brothers In Arms series, taking Operation Market Garden as its historical setting. It's out on 360, PS3 and PC this August. We'll let you know our detailed thoughts on the latest build soon. In the meantime, see if you agree with Randy's claims by checking out the brand new Hell's Highway footage (http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=10817&size=large2) direct from Ubidays.

Baboon
May 29th, 2008, 20:03
Is he referring to Gears of War 2?

Shadowblind
May 29th, 2008, 20:59
Is he referring to Gears of War 2?

No, Gears 1, which still is one of the best looking games today.

DimensionT
May 29th, 2008, 21:20
Sorry, but no it doesn't. Doesn't even look AS good. I'd say 15-20% in the opposite direction.

The edge of this building is sharp enough to cut your face on...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Dthsix6six/SharpWall.png

ElRazur
May 30th, 2008, 00:45
It is an EDGE, I think it is not supposed to be soft. Lol.

lmtlmt
May 30th, 2008, 04:35
if you'll note this game aint out yet so you cant trust the video until the games release.

Baboon
May 30th, 2008, 09:40
Surely stating a title "looks 20% better" than a more than 2 year old game is hardly a big achievment for the mighty PS3? lol ...now if they stated "looks 80% better" that would be something to brag about.

It is an EDGE, I think it is not supposed to be soft. Lol.

Good observation. :D ...Gears is getting on a bit now though so yes the gfx are going to look a little dated.

if you'll note this game aint out yet so you cant trust the video until the games release.

Very true.

I wouldn't hold your breath on HH being any good though... look at the hype and marketing and then what eventualy got churned out with the PS3's exclusive 'Haze'! :rofl:

Triv1um
May 30th, 2008, 11:38
Very true.

I wouldn't hold your breath on HH being any good though... look at the hype and marketing and then what eventualy got churned out with the PS3's exclusive 'Haze'! :rofl:

Comment of the year :rofl:

I highly doubt this will look as nice as GOW. In all fairness, GOW is a beautiful game.