PDA

View Full Version : FrodoDS(C64 emulator) updated

GPF
May 30th, 2008, 01:01
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/files/nds/fds04.png

I finally had some time to work on FrodoDS again after nearly a year without an update, I have added save snapshot support and loading snapshots directly from filelist.

Will save the snapshot using the currently mounted .D64 name changing extension to .FSS. This new functionality is on the button X.

Also now when it starts the filelist will no longer popup automatically, so after the c64 boots up, press the left trigger to bring up the filelist, now if you select a snapshot file ending in .FSS, it will automount the same name with .D64 and then autostart the snapshot.

I have updated my website
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/Frodoc64.shtml
with the latest release and sourcecode.

Enjoy,
Troy(GPF)

wraggster
May 30th, 2008, 06:25
awesome news :)

Eric
May 30th, 2008, 08:09
Didnt even know C64 was on DS just a question does it work with D-Pad or is it a virtual keyboard only emu.

paul3100
May 30th, 2008, 08:40
Nice one, always good to see an update for a great machine on an excellent hand held IE the DS :-)

I would like to see in a future update more options on the bottom touch screen for such things as controls, load/save

Still a great update ........ cheers

paul

jaws365
May 30th, 2008, 13:42
This emulator rocks!!! It is one of the reasons why i bought a DS, to have C64 emulator ith keyboard. I hope it will run demos and music trackers in the future too :)

GPF
May 30th, 2008, 15:45
Didnt even know C64 was on DS just a question does it work with D-Pad or is it a virtual keyboard only emu.

It uses the D-Pad to emulate a joystick, you press select button to swap it between the emulated port 1 and 2, button A is joystick fire button, B is the same as pressing the spacebar(I added this to throw grenades in commando) , X button save the current emulation state as a snapshot, Left trigger brings up the file list to either launch snapshots, or to mount D64 disk images on drive 8, right trigger autotypes LOAD"*",8,1 and then RUN, and Start button resets the c64.

Troy(GPF)

jaws365
May 30th, 2008, 16:19
Tried it and managed to load The Last Ninja 1 :) Very slow though.

Keep it up!

creepy_smell
May 30th, 2008, 23:23
Excellent work GPF!! Glad you got the snapshot working.

I briefly tried Autoduel and it seems to work. After making a driver I saved using the snapshot. Then coldbooted and was able to load up the driver I made. I couldn't move at first so I would hit select and then try to move until it worked (Took a few select clicks). Portable Autoduel :)

Also tried Blue Max & Below the Root and both seemed to work fine too.

Thanks again for the update to this sweet emu.

EDIT: Played a bit more of Autoduel and its working great. Works perfect in town and saving during arena battles. Cleared my first am night and working on my 2nd. It works on Gunship too but I doubt I see myself playing that much though I did get it up in the air before getting shot down.

masterchief929
May 31st, 2008, 01:43
pretty cool. nice update.

robman84
June 2nd, 2008, 20:28
Yay Troy! So glad you've had time to carry on with FrodoDS. Mmm saving - maybe now I'll be able to finish Nebulus...

DanWare
June 2nd, 2008, 22:27
Excellent - I've been checking for this update at least monthly. A good conversion of Frodo so far, and still the only C64 emulator on DS!

Nice one!!

jesus 666
June 7th, 2008, 18:20
cool stuff, good to hear you're still working on it too,

BTW is there any chance that the emulation will speed up a bit more? at the moment I have my DS set to frameskip 4 but it's a little bit too juddery at that frame rate, I think that if it was close to the right speed at frameskip 3 it would look pretty good,

as well as that the only thing I can think of is improving the compatibility a bit, for some reason, many games that make you hit the fire button to start the game don't seem to work (like Turrican and Mayhem in Monsterland for instance) and the joystick swap doesn't always seem to work properley

sorry if I come across as moaning keep up the good work :thumbup:

DanWare
June 8th, 2008, 09:04
Yeah wish I could load Turrican 1 & 2...

The speed has definitely improved, if the emu is updated to use the new event-based Frodo code or even if someone could port VICE, then more improvements will most definitely be made.

I wasn't sure about it ever working due to aspect-ratio issues but this project proved me wrong on that one!

Gyro
June 8th, 2008, 15:34
Has anyone tried running Project Space Station?
It loads, but at the title screen it says, "Disk drive error...make sure drive is on and disk inserted."

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks.

jesus 666
June 9th, 2008, 00:19
Has anyone tried running Project Space Station?
It loads, but at the title screen it says, "Disk drive error...make sure drive is on and disk inserted."

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks.

the only things you can do to improve compatability is either try out different cracks of the game or go into the folder RD then click on the file called "frodo fpr" change the emul1541Proc to "TRUE" and then save, this should improve compatibility, but will make the game load really, really slow

while you're in the frodo fpr I would also personally change the skipframes to 4 as well (which increases the speed, but makes the game look choppier)

crookedmouth
June 10th, 2008, 18:57
You can use frodo for the PC with 1541 emulation enabled then make a snapshot of whichever game your trying to get working, then copy over the snapshot. Instead of enabling 1541 emulation on the DS.
Personally I think 4 frameskip is way to much. 3 maybe.

Luf714
June 11th, 2008, 16:33
Thanks for the update - looking forward to using this on the beach on my hols!

I've been trying to load up some games but its seems to be hit and miss with what's working.

I've copied d64 files over to the /rd folder and before doing so I've used the DLDI patch on them (I'm using a M3 DS Simply/ R4. When I try to load some of the games I keep getting told the file cannot be found, yet double clicking them on my desktop loads them fine on Power 64 ('m using a Mac)

Anything I can do to get these working? There's some key games I'm gutted I can't get playing with the handy save state!

GPF
June 11th, 2008, 23:18
Thanks for the update - looking forward to using this on the beach on my hols!

I've been trying to load up some games but its seems to be hit and miss with what's working.

I've copied d64 files over to the /rd folder and before doing so I've used the DLDI patch on them (I'm using a M3 DS Simply/ R4. When I try to load some of the games I keep getting told the file cannot be found, yet double clicking them on my desktop loads them fine on Power 64 ('m using a Mac)

Anything I can do to get these working? There's some key games I'm gutted I can't get playing with the handy save state!

Only need to DLDI patch the FrodoDS.nds file, I believe there is a Frodo port to mac you could test the .d64 files on as well as create snapshots with it also.

Troy(GPF)

jesus 666
June 13th, 2008, 04:37
no, frameskip 4 is actually still not enough, I just compared Katakis and Midnight Resistance on my real C64 to the ones on the DS, and they are still slow at frameskip 4, but not by too much of a degree to harm gameplay. Though I'd imagine that if you were playing really old C64 games it would make a difference to the speed of emulation anyway

Gyro
June 13th, 2008, 05:18
You can use frodo for the PC with 1541 emulation enabled then make a snapshot of whichever game your trying to get working, then copy over the snapshot. Instead of enabling 1541 emulation on the DS.

Thanks for the info. I tried 3-4 different copies of the game and turning on the 1541 emulation but still no luck.

Where can I get the PC version of Frodo?I tried a web search, but couldn't find a working link with an executable for Windows XP.

This begs another question, does FrodoDS support disk operations for saving/loading game data?

GPF
June 13th, 2008, 21:13
Thanks for the info. I tried 3-4 different copies of the game and turning on the 1541 emulation but still no luck.

Where can I get the PC version of Frodo?I tried a web search, but couldn't find a working link with an executable for Windows XP.

This begs another question, does FrodoDS support disk operations for saving/loading game data?

http://server.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/Frodo/frodo4_1.win32.zip

FrodoDS supports most disk operations, Its been reported that some things don't work, but with latest version it will allow you to save snapshots by pressing X, and then you use the left trigger to open up the filelist and reload snapshots from there.

Troy(GPF)

Gyro
June 17th, 2008, 02:07
Thanks for the link, it has really helped.

Using FrodoCS (1541 emulation on), I was able to save a snapshot of a successful load and transfer it to the DS. With 1541 emulation also enabled on FrodoDS, it works! I load the snapshot, then immediately mount the .d64 file.

I finally have one of my most favorite C=64 games working on the DS. It appears to work fine, except saving to a "data disk". But since you now have the snapshot built-in, it is not an issue.

I've found that the basic Frodo (win-32) is a good indicator what will work on Frodo DS. FrodoCS seems to be compatible with every rom I've tried (with 1541 emulation). So I will use it for the ones that don't like the DS (or checking to see if the rom is good).

Thanks for making this wonderful program.

One thing I've noticed is that the PC versions have a drive access light. I'd love to see that on the DS version, any chance of adding that in the future? There have been a few time I thought the rom didn't work, only for it to be just loading another part of the program. I don't miss the slow load times of the C=64. ;p

GPF
June 20th, 2008, 23:38

Using FrodoCS (1541 emulation on), I was able to save a snapshot of a successful load and transfer it to the DS. With 1541 emulation also enabled on FrodoDS, it works! I load the snapshot, then immediately mount the .d64 file.

I finally have one of my most favorite C=64 games working on the DS. It appears to work fine, except saving to a "data disk". But since you now have the snapshot built-in, it is not an issue.

I've found that the basic Frodo (win-32) is a good indicator what will work on Frodo DS. FrodoCS seems to be compatible with every rom I've tried (with 1541 emulation). So I will use it for the ones that don't like the DS (or checking to see if the rom is good).

Thanks for making this wonderful program.

One thing I've noticed is that the PC versions have a drive access light. I'd love to see that on the DS version, any chance of adding that in the future? There have been a few time I thought the rom didn't work, only for it to be just loading another part of the program. I don't miss the slow load times of the C=64. ;p

Maybe I could use the ds's power light to flash as the drive light, that would be cool, either way I'll look into it.

Troy(GPF)

crookedmouth
June 21st, 2008, 13:20

Thats funny, I've been trying to post that you can use FrodoSC(single cycle) to make working snapshots of some previously non-working games, for a couple days now and you beet me to it. Good job gyro!
I got Montezuma's Revenge working with the FrodoSC snapshot and then ran it in frodods. It has decent speed at 3 frame skip.

jesus 666
July 1st, 2008, 05:49
Hmmm, with all this frameskip 3 is good enough business I'm starting to wonder if i'm actually the only person on here who plays good C64 games :D , I mean Montezuma's revenge was archaic when I was a child.

crookedmouth
July 2nd, 2008, 23:14
I'm the only one so far in this thread that has said 3 is good enough, so if by one other person thinking it's fine makes it "all this good enough business" then I guess so? Also the time that a game was released has nothing to do with either how good it is or if it will run at decent speed in FrodoDS.
Seriously,I guess by the time you got your c64, I was using an Amiga. I mean if your criteria for how good a game is depends on it's age, then why are you using this emulator. ;)
Also I just think 4 frame skip makes games way to choppy, platformers or shmups become basically unplayable. Lastly what are some examples of these "good" games that you only play.

GPF
July 3rd, 2008, 09:27
I'm the only one so far in this thread that has said 3 is good enough, so if by one other person thinking it's fine makes it "all this good enough business" then I guess so? Also the time that a game was released has nothing to do with either how good it is or if it will run at decent speed in FrodoDS.
Seriously,I guess by the time you got your c64, I was using an Amiga. I mean if your criteria for how good a game is depends on it's age, then why are you using this emulator. ;)
Also I just think 4 frame skip makes games way to choppy, platformers or shmups become basically unplayable. Lastly what are some examples of these "good" games that you only play.

I play jumpman, jumpman jr, and brucelee, and a lot of really old c64 games but thats why I ported FrodoDS :) , I'm old and ds seemed a great platform to enable me to have my portable c64 I dreamed of as a kid of 9 back in 1981 when c64 came out lol.

Troy(GPF)

jesus 666
July 5th, 2008, 01:00
Also I just think 4 frame skip makes games way to choppy, platformers or shmups become basically unplayable. Lastly what are some examples of these "good" games that you only play.Whoah, someone's a bit defensive of his archaic C64 games :p, I never had an Amiga when I was a kid :( but then I got one about 2 years ago and found that I didn't really miss out on anything anyway :)

Games I played a lot when I was a kid - St Dragon, Newzealand Story, Turrican 1 & 2, Gemini Wing, CJ's Elephant Antics, The Dizzy Games, Last Ninja 2, Hawkeye, Rodland, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Wizball, Shinobi, Flimbos Quest (borrowed off of my neighbour) Cabal, Kickstart 2. The oldest game I spent a lot of time playing when I was a kid was a game called Aqua.

I agree with you on Frameskip 4 being horribly choppy, but frameskip 3 is unbearably slow, I can play Katakis on FS4 and it plays pretty well which i'm happy about.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the "when a game was released has nothing to do with the emulation speed of Frodods" statement, in my experience anything from around 87' or later plays slow at FS3, surely this would be the case anyway because games after 87' actually started to use the Commodore to it's potential, and so must have had more complicated stuff going on in them.

crookedmouth
July 8th, 2008, 03:23
I don't think I'm being very defensive, I just believe most of the really good games came out earlier in the C64's life. There are tons of very innovative and great games that are pre-87. Most of the games after were sloppy ports of 16bit counterparts and games that really shouldn't have been tried on the old beast.
To say that age has anything to do with it is just wrong, there are some games on the atari 2600 which can beat the C64 even, IMO.
Plus to say you didn't miss out on much with the Amiga, may explain something about you. I wouldn't give up my C64 but the Amiga was a sweet machine that I will never forget as well.
I'm no expert about frodoDS but in my tests there are plenty of old games that run slowly in frodoDS, Repton(the defender clone) and the 83 version of Donkey Kong are just a couple I can think of. The 86 version of DK by Ocean ran very fast in comparison. Turrican 1 and 2 run ok aswell as Blood Money.
Either way the Amiga, Atari ST versions of most of the games you mentioned were far superior, hands down.
The golden era of the C64 and games like Loderunner, Jumpman, Ultimate Wizard, Pirates!... just seem better to me. :)

jesus 666
July 9th, 2008, 02:55
Plus to say you didn't miss out on much with the Amiga, may explain something about you. I wouldn't give up my C64 but the Amiga was a sweet machine that I will never forget as well.

The Amiga was alright, there was one game I quite liked on it actually, I think it was called ruff and tumble, other than that the only other Amiga games I liked were lemmings and Worms, which ended up on every other system anyway. My C64 and NES tided me over quite nicely until I got a megadrive tbh.

Most of the games after were sloppy ports of 16bit counterparts and games that really shouldn't have been tried on the old beast. I can't think of many 16-bit ports at all let alone sloppy ones, I can think of a quite a few sloppy arcade ports though, but then again I can think of quite a few really nice arcade ports too.

crookedmouth
July 9th, 2008, 05:02
Which brings us back to this.

Hmmm, with all this frameskip 3 is good enough business I'm starting to wonder if i'm actually the only person on here who plays good C64 games :D , I mean Montezuma's revenge was archaic when I was a child.

I know you have a ":D" after it, but really all C64 games are "archaic" and we should admit this. :)
Nostalgia obviously plays into the equation.

For the Amiga, check out Cinemaware's classics. It Came From The Dessert and Rocket Ranger to name two. Give the old girl more of a chance, there are some real gems for the Amiga. You don't seem to be a r[g player but Dungeon Master is not to be missed.

pmist
July 10th, 2008, 15:57
Hi

So I'm not really having much luck, and I so badly want to play Creatures on the train tonight.

Everything I try seems to fail.

I'm getting roms from c64.com, and nothing loads well.

Is there a guide to getting the best compatibility from this?

Cheers

crookedmouth
July 11th, 2008, 03:06
What you can try, and this worked with creatures in my small test, is what has been mentioned before. Download frodo for PC or Mac.

http://frodo.cebix.net/

Then run frodosc.exe, load up creatures, in the preference section. Run it until you get into the game, meaning the first screen where you control the character, then save a snapshot called creatures.fss. Load this onto your card and run in FrodoDS. You may need to use 1541 emulation in frodo.fpr(test this in regular frodo.exe on PC. Remember any game that works in frodo.exe,will work in frodoDS.

You see there are three versions of frodo for PC/Mac. frodopc.exe is perfect cycle and frodosc is single cycle, frodo.exe is fastest but has least compatibility, where perfect is slower with better compatibility. The frodosc.exe/snapshot trick works with a lot of things.

Goodluck

jesus 666
July 11th, 2008, 05:04
What you can try, and this worked with creatures in my small test, is what has been mentioned before. Download frodo for PC or Mac.

http://frodo.cebix.net/

Then run frodosc.exe, load up creatures, in the preference section. Run it until you get into the game, meaning the first screen where you control the character, then save a snapshot called creatures.fss. Load this onto your card and run in FrodoDS. You may need to use 1541 emulation in frodo.fpr(test this in regular frodo.exe on PC. Remember any game that works in frodo.exe,will work in frodoDS.
You see there are three versions of frodo for PC/Mac. frodopc.exe is perfect cycle and frodosc is single cycle, frodo.exe is fastest but has least compatibility, where perfect is slower with better compatibility. The frodosc.exe/snapshot trick works with a lot of things.

Goodluckwhat happens when you need to load in the second stage?

crookedmouth
July 12th, 2008, 05:24
Actually , it loads fine with just 1541 emulation on,so the second stage would load fine(slowly), however scrolling is broken. Sorry if I got your hopes up. :(

phiitboi
August 13th, 2008, 19:22
Hello all !

do anyone had this similar problem, about 1 of the 15 games does only work even giana sister wont work they all are in .c64 format

i have patched frodo. ds file too, and tried double load games.

im having m3ds real

becoming frustraded so badly wanna to play C64 games

spajdr
August 16th, 2008, 15:49
FrodoDS improved build by H. Eilts:

His changes:
'All credits go to the original author – I just changed a few things around to make emulation more convenient.'
- added support for RUNSTOP/RESTORE
- added True 1541 Floppy emulation
- added joystick port status
- d64 images now reside in d64 folder
- menu driven configuration

http://linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/dl.php/dsemu_FrodoDS_heilts.zip

phiitboi
August 16th, 2008, 19:40
Omg new version of frodo, so exited always when comes new update on emulators :)

thank you so much for all who is working on emus

phiitboi
August 16th, 2008, 22:07
is it possible to fix those roms (.d64) wich wont work ? cause always wining about syntax error 0, not every game but most of them :D what issues is on the line 0 ? i checked with that new frodos list command and there reads mostly webaddress in the line 0, what if i rub it off with some hexedit ? :)

would be really great to play most of those retrogames wich wont work now :)

thanks i appreciate yours job in coding emulators.

GPF
August 17th, 2008, 11:39

His changes:
'All credits go to the original author – I just changed a few things around to make emulation more convenient.'

Cool, hopefully i can get his source code changes to add to my site.

Troy(GPF)

crookedmouth
August 18th, 2008, 03:42
Wow, going to check out the changes in this altered version.

is it possible to fix those roms (.d64) wich wont work ? cause always wining about syntax error 0, not every game but most of them :D what issues is on the line 0 ? i checked with that new frodos list command and there reads mostly webaddress in the line 0, what if i rub it off with some hexedit ? :)

would be really great to play most of those retrogames wich wont work now :)

thanks i appreciate yours job in coding emulators.

This is usually caused by the first program on the disk being a dummy program or something. You will have to LOAD"$",8 to see where and under what name the program your looking for is. The kernalrom makes the list of disk contents one of the F5-F7. Use Load"m*",8,1 to load first program that begins with M.

phiitboi
August 18th, 2008, 21:21
didnt get any results only errors and some weird letters when trying those commands.

ill stop waiting new releases hopefully someone get this problem work :)

bombdog
August 18th, 2008, 21:36
Thanks for the upgrades to Frodo, it's great!

If you have .t64 files you can convert these to .d64 files by using DirMaster v2.0 (google it). You can fit around 3+ t64 single-load games into a d64 file, saving space on your SD card.

Some extra speed would be nice, but I can't have my cake and eat it - I'm sure you've done/doing all you can for the speed.
Best wishes...

phiitboi
August 18th, 2008, 22:49
yea i got only .d64 files

so bombdog your every game works ?

maybe im doing something wrong then.

my method
downloaded d64 files and put them in a /d64/ folder starting frodo this new version, choosing game from the list and pressing left trigger + a to launch the game about 70% of my games wont start at all.
cant find the game and giving errors about that.

bombdog
August 18th, 2008, 23:09
Try getting some other versions of t64 and d64s. A good place to start is at gamebase64 - virtually every c64 game ever made is there.

I think you may have more luck with t64 games converted to d64 files as they are single load and thus don't need to keep referring to the d64 file.

Also don't try loading the game with L+A, the first file on the disk may not be suitable to load using the emulator. Load the directory using

LOAD"$",8

Find the game you wish to play, then go (for example)

LOAD"SP*",8,1

if you wish to load the first game on the disk with the first letters 'SP...'

Not everything works, Frodo is a bit picky. I've had graphics/collision problems with Slurpy and Spy School, but that's Frodo, not this port.

phiitboi
August 19th, 2008, 11:46
so many thanks bombdog i love you lol ;)
those helped me so much i got games work better

jesus 666
August 19th, 2008, 16:44

His changes:

This is fantastic! 2/3 of the games giving me trouble before now work no problems at all, not only that but the new interface is excellent, being able to turn on drive emulation at only the specific times when it's needed, and then turn it off after the trouble area has passed really speeds up loading.

One other thing though, for some reason the B button seems to no longer work, is there an option to set C64 keys to the DS buttons that I haven't seen? I'm sure the guy making it couldn't have removed one of the most important features of the whole emulator.

anthonyharris
August 21st, 2008, 20:24
nice bit of work, but for some reason pressing the L button dosen't work anymore, so i have to type LOAD..etc every time i want to play a game.

phiitboi
August 21st, 2008, 21:47
nice bit of work, but for some reason pressing the L button dosen't work anymore, so i have to type LOAD..etc every time i want to play a game.

buttons has been changed if i remember correctly, for loading roms you have to push L + A and L + X you can see other button changes

anthonyharris
August 22nd, 2008, 19:41
thanks for that, gonna try it now.

crookedmouth
August 24th, 2008, 05:19
This altered version is hugely convenient. It helps a ton to have frameskip and 1541 emu on the fly. Plus I'm not making savestates by accident in the middle of a heated moment. Nice of Mr. Eilts to work with the open-source. :)

buttons has been changed if i remember correctly, for loading roms you have to push L + A and L + X you can see other button changes

Doesn't it say this on the title screen when you run frodoDS? :)

jesus 666
August 25th, 2008, 23:41
One other thing though, for some reason the B button seems to no longer work, is there an option to set C64 keys to the DS buttons that I haven't seen? I'm sure the guy making it couldn't have removed one of the most important features of the whole emulator.
Well I've waited 5 days and still no reply, does no one know whats going on with the B button? I'm really starting to get fed up with switching between the emulators everytime I want to play Katakis. It seems like every damn step forward someone makes with this emulator they immediately take one step back afterwards, at least in this case it's more like 3 steps forward and 1 back though.

Sektor
August 26th, 2008, 02:50
H. Eilts might not even read this thread. What site was the link to H. Eilts version originally posted on?

In GPF's version the B button maps to spacebar (after you load a game) but in H. Eilts it maps to ctrl. You could try using the onscreen spacebar, at least until you can map the buttons the way you want.

jesus 666
August 28th, 2008, 21:29
You could try using the onscreen spacebar, at least until you can map the buttons the way you want.
That doesn't work very well, hell it didn't work very well on the real thing and now the space bar is like 1/50 the original size, I'll stick with the older version for now, which is really annoying, but too many games I play often are screwed by the new setup (Turrican 2, Gryzor, Katakis, R-Type, Commando, Shinobi)

Bri-
September 2nd, 2008, 13:44
Any chance of getting games like Space Taxi or Fort Apocolypse working? They seem to run, but (at least for me) I always crash when landing regardless of how softly I land.

Also, can the "rd" folder go into the "data" folder instead of on the root? Is it even needed for the Eilts version? What is FrodoDS.d64 that comes with the Eilts version used for? Where does it go?

-Bri-

GPF
September 3rd, 2008, 20:40
Any chance of getting games like Space Taxi or Fort Apocolypse working? They seem to run, but (at least for me) I always crash when landing regardless of how softly I land.

Also, can the "rd" folder go into the "data" folder instead of on the root? Is it even needed for the Eilts version? What is FrodoDS.d64 that comes with the Eilts version used for? Where does it go?

-Bri-

Fort Apocolypse doesn't work in the pc version of Frodo either unfortunetly, there is a workaround i found if I just slowing move towards the fuel pad and keep firing down at the pad if your careful it will pop down and you can fuel up., not sure about Space Taxi though.

For Eilts version I just renamed my /rd folder to /d64 , as far as I could tell the FrodoDS.d64 is just a blank 1541 disk image. Wish he would release his changes to the source, would like to add it to my source.

Troy(GPF)

crookedmouth
September 4th, 2008, 04:31
Any chance of getting games like Space Taxi or Fort Apocolypse working? They seem to run, but (at least for me) I always crash when landing regardless of how softly I land

-Bri-

Space Taxi plays fine for me, are you sure you are lowering your landing gear?

Bri-
September 4th, 2008, 11:58
Fort Apocolypse doesn't work in the pc version of Frodo either unfortunetly, there is a workaround i found if I just slowing move towards the fuel pad and keep firing down at the pad if your careful it will pop down and you can fuel up., not sure about Space Taxi though.

For Eilts version I just renamed my /rd folder to /d64 , as far as I could tell the FrodoDS.d64 is just a blank 1541 disk image. Wish he would release his changes to the source, would like to add it to my source.

Yeah, the additions Eilts made make FrodoDS so much more usable! One useful addition to his menu would be the ability to change which keyboard key is mapped to the "B" button. Have you been able to contact him?

Apparently, the Eilts version either searches for the files it needs, or doesn't need any other files. I was able to put the "d64" folder inside the "data" folder and it works just fine. I also moved all of my .d64 and .fss files to a "c64_games" folder and it still works. So I wonder if the "ROM" files are even needed. I'll try removing them later today and see if it still works.

Are you still actively developing FrodoDS? It's one of my favorite homebrews!

Space Taxi plays fine for me, are you sure you are lowering your landing gear?

Nope, I'm not lowering my landing gear! Strange that I don't remember doing that the last time I played it. Not like it was over 20 years ago or anything! :D

Thanks!

-Bri

spinal_cord
September 6th, 2008, 14:19
I tweaked the scaling of frodods a little. The screen size is slightly smaller, at 75%, giving a very even resize. The screen ration is correct and there is slight blurring, giving more readable text and nicer looking gfx.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FIQ7JUOI

The only problem with the method used, is that colour 0 (used for black in frodods) does not blend, so any pixels next to black ones wil not blend. If anyone thinks they can help with this, please get in touch.

This is a tweak of GPF's build, not the other one, so it does not have those new features, whoever, i do feel it looks better and is very slightly quicker, especially during gameplay.

crookedmouth
September 7th, 2008, 02:28
Sounds cool and very useful especially for text adventures. Thanks spinal,quicker you say? :)

I wish that Eilts would release the altered source code.

Bri-
September 8th, 2008, 13:47
I have sent an e-mail to H. Eilts to see if he would be willing to give GPF the source code for the changes he made.

-Bri

Sektor
September 8th, 2008, 15:07
I have sent an e-mail to H. Eilts to see if he would be willing to give GPF the source code for the changes he made.

-Bri

I also emailed him but no reply yet.

Rocky66
September 9th, 2008, 13:38
I hope, that someone can help me, to get this
great Game run on this great Emu !

You can find many Reviews in the Net.

I know, that the game needs full 1541 Emuation,
and the Intro runs, but then the Program reset the
good old C64 :-(

on my PPC i get the Error Code :

Illigal Opcode D2 on 0006

i am using the Frodo-DS by Heits and hope that
he will work on this great emu.

Bye for now

Rocky66

congoblase
September 9th, 2008, 21:07
Hello people!

This is H. Eilts speaking. I'm really glad to hear you like my changes. I haven't checked my email recently as there were too much other thing to do, so sorry for not replying. Anyway, you want the source code? I'll upload it to some place and give you the link, maybe even tonight.
But be warned, the code is far from clean. But maybe Troy will be able to clean it up a bit... Actually I've already been thinking of adding things like custom key config but with family and job there isn't much time really...

By the way, the reason i got into all this in the first place was The Castles of Dr Creep. Does anyone know that game? I've started coding an editor (win32) for that game, if anyone is interested...

I am from Germany and I am old enough to have played that stuff on the original hardware as a teenager.

Thanks for reading.

congoblase
September 9th, 2008, 21:14
http://rapidshare.com/files/143939477/Frodo4.zip.html

The source (really really messy, though)

Bri-
September 9th, 2008, 21:30
Thanks Eilts/congoblase! Your excellent additions really make FrodoDS much more usable.

I hope that you or Troy will be able to clean up the code and continue development (if you have time). Maybe you or Troy can also add spinal_cord's display code and add an option to the menu to switch between the original full-screen display and spinal's proportional display (which I haven't tried yet).

-Bri

spinal_cord
September 10th, 2008, 01:01
I'm currently working on proportional almost-full display, which stretches the c64 screen to the width of the ds screen and only shows part o the top/bottom borders. I should have something in the next couple of days that fixes the black problem with my previous version too.

Bri-
September 10th, 2008, 13:40
Are you working off of congoblase's version or still off of GPF's version?

-Bri

spinal_cord
September 10th, 2008, 19:52
Currently still gpf's version, but i shouldn't make any difference for now, once people are happy with the scale changes ill shift it all over to the congoblase version. don't worry.

Bri-
September 10th, 2008, 21:51
Thanks! I think your scale changes would be particularly useful with a menu item in congoblase's menu to switch back and forth between the different scales.

spinal_cord
September 13th, 2008, 00:55
ok, i've tried to fix the black issue by moving the whole palette up by 1, for the most part, this fixes it and black blends find. However frodo uses a 256 color palette and on the ds, color 0 HAS to be transparent, but now that i moved the palette up, the last color is wrapped round to 0, so in some cases, color 15 (16th) is black instead of light grey. So that part still needs a little work.

Also I have changed the palette to pepto's palette, which is about as close to c64 hardware as any palette is ever going to get. I have added a wait for all the buttons used by the emulator (L,R,X,Y,B,Start,Select) so their function will not happen until the button is released. I have added a function to button Y, which now will list the files on the current disk.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W31JRMEV

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/799/image1cb0.gif

I haven't yet managed to merge these changes to congoblase's version, im having difficulty compiling it atm.

congoblase
September 13th, 2008, 19:24
has anyone found the bug that causes the corrupted discs after saving? it is in pc frodo as well.

also I'd love to get a frodo for my wii. i heard troy is working on that. is the source available already?

congoblase
September 14th, 2008, 10:15
i have changed the keys back so that use can use B for space again. also you can change key mappings from within the emu now. persistent screen scaling is also possible, but without spinal_cord's alpha blendig for now.

http://rapidshare.com/files/145146578/FrodoDS.zip.html

bombdog
September 14th, 2008, 10:39
Thanks for everyones continued involvement with this emulator!

jesus 666
September 14th, 2008, 23:25
i have changed the keys back so that use can use B for space again. also you can change key mappings from within the emu now. persistent screen scaling is also possible, but without spinal_cord's alpha blendig for now.

Great job! the emulator's really picking up speed in it's progress now :thumbup:

crookedmouth
September 15th, 2008, 03:40
It's beautiful that this is getting so much attention lately, thank you Troy,spinal and congo!

Troy, did alekmaul get in touch with you at all when he teased about a C64 emulator? Apparently it's another port of Frodo but may have gone into limbo anyway. He made a page on portabledev but never released it.It looks like he copied his AmeDS page, since there are pics of Amstrad but the history and specs are C64.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/jeuxdev.-perso/sidds.php

Anyway I was just wondering.

spinal_cord
September 15th, 2008, 07:56
I don't have the knowledge myself, but i think moving the sid emulation to arm7 should speed up the emulator quite a bit. I noticed now and then when the sound fails to start, the emu went quite fast. Is anyone able to do this?

Bri-
September 15th, 2008, 15:53

Thanks for this! There is a small bug. When you go to the page that allows you to change the screen size, and press "A" the line that says "Press X to reset screen size" is overwritten by a new line that is a copy of the "Press A to switch mode..." line (there are now two lines that say "Press A to switch mode...").

Should be an easy fix, and doesn't prevent anything from functioning.

Also, it would be nice if you added a shortcut for the "Y" button that made it fill the DS screen, so that you could easily go back and forth between a proportional screen and a full screen by using the "X" and "Y" buttons.

-Bri

congoblase
September 15th, 2008, 17:33
thank for pointing that out. has been quite a long night...

crookedmouth
September 15th, 2008, 19:42
Is there a way to reset the emu with congoblase's newest key-configurable version? Start is now configurable so, perhaps you could make Reset one of the choices?
Anyway thanks for the great work.

congoblase
September 15th, 2008, 21:45
well...reset function has moved to the macros. would you rather have it assignable to a key?

spinal_cord
September 15th, 2008, 23:31
I like resetting with a single key.

- congoblase -
Would you be able to add to your version a couple of pre-set screen sizes? The only reason I started messing with frodo was that i didn't like the default size and after some experimenting I have came up with two size settings I like. Also, do you want the code for the alpha blending, or can you figure it out yourself?

Bri-
September 15th, 2008, 23:38
Doesn't pressing the left and right shoulder buttons reset it?

Maybe using the X and Y buttons could go forward and backward through a list of preset screen sizes. Or if there are only two screen sizes (full-screen and proportional) one could be assigned to the X button and one to the Y button.

Would also be useful if it displayed the current screen size in pixels as you changed it.

I don't have the knowledge myself, but i think moving the sid emulation to arm7 should speed up the emulator quite a bit. I noticed now and then when the sound fails to start, the emu went quite fast. Is anyone able to do this?

Hmmm...in the meantime, maybe just an option to turn off the sound might be useful if it speeds things up significantly.

-Bri

crookedmouth
September 16th, 2008, 04:28
well...reset function has moved to the macros. would you rather have it assignable to a key?

It was written right on the title screen in front of me , thanks. :o
It might be cool to be able to assign it but this works fine and you can't hit it by accident. :)

spinal_cord
September 16th, 2008, 10:12
I've been tweaking the scaling a little, just hit Y to cycle through the following settings -

1. 75% - preserve aspect ratio
2. fit width - preserve aspect ratio
3. fit height - preserve aspect ratio
4. fit both - stretch
5. fit width height=100% - stretch

download via megaupload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GA12MJ0H)

Bri-
September 16th, 2008, 14:26
How can you fit the height and preserve the aspect ratio? Isn't the DS aspect ratio taller than the C-64? Wouldn't fitting the height cause the left and right edges to fall off the screen?

-Bri

anthonyharris
September 16th, 2008, 22:10
things are looking good.....keep up the good work guys.

spinal_cord
September 17th, 2008, 11:00
How can you fit the height and preserve the aspect ratio? Isn't the DS aspect ratio taller than the C-64? Wouldn't fitting the height cause the left and right edges to fall off the screen?

-Bri
Yes, having the height at 100% clips the top and bottom also. For a lot of games this isn't a problem, the closer the gfx are to their original size, the better a lot of games look. Games with a lot of text in them (like text adventures) are far easier to read at 75% as each character is scaled exactly the same, resulting in 6x6 tiles.

Bri-
September 17th, 2008, 14:24
So what is the resolution of the C-64?

-Bri

spinal_cord
September 17th, 2008, 14:55
screen only = 320x200, border included (rarely used by games) = 384x272.

Bri-
September 17th, 2008, 17:07
So, "fit width" (option 2) actually displays 256x160 which is 80% of the C-64 resolution, right? That should potentially look better than option 1 for graphics while still not losing any screen real-estate (other than the border at the left and right and part of the border at the top and bottom similar to the 75% option). For text, 250x150 which is 75% (option 1) should look better because each character could be the same number of pixels (40 columns divides evenly into 250 width and 25 rows divide evenly into 150 height). Is that correct?

BTW, is there a way to scroll around the screen during game play for those modes that cut off some of the screen? For example, pressing a button or shoulder button while using the D-pad might scroll the screen in those modes that crop part of the screen?

-Bri

db73
September 27th, 2008, 00:49
Just discovered FrodoDS after recently getting a DS flash card (EDGE). Was really pleased to see a C64 emulator on the DS.

Having problems loading games though. I installed & ran FrodoDS & it fired up no problems. I'd already copied a whole bunch of .d64 files to the /rd folder. I can see these when I browse the files from FrodoDS. But when I select & then use the right trigger to load I get this message;

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/962/dsc01609vd9.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01609vd9.jpg)http://img521.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Bit green to all this homebrew & emulation stuff. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers ;)

db73
September 27th, 2008, 11:45
Eureka!! Figured it out. I didn't have my /rd folder in the root of my flash card (EDGE). When I moved it here I was able to run C64 games (.d64).

I've tried 3 so far. Choplifter worked fine. Dropzone (my favourite C64 game ever) loaded but I couldn't start the game using the 'A' button on the DS. Any ideas on this? I also tried Raid on Bungeling bay (anothr favourite C64 game of mine) but this still produced the 'device not present error'. Maybe it's just a bad .d64 file?

db73
September 27th, 2008, 16:06
Hold the phone - I downloaded a whole bunch of .d64 files & only a couple of them seem to work. The ones that do run a bit on the slow side. Anything I can do about this?

I've been searching through the forums for any tips & information about getting the games working. Plenty of stuff on here but it spans a couple of years at least so I don't know how relevent some of the info is these days. Obviously newer versions of FrodoDS have been released over the years so a lot of the info might be out of date now ..... although being a complete newb to this it's hard to pick up on what's what!

Sektor
September 27th, 2008, 16:20
Try congoblase (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148129660&postcount=73) modified FrodoDS. Congoblase's versions needs the files to go in d64 folder. Some games will require enabling true disk emulation but that makes them load really slowly.

db73
September 27th, 2008, 22:11
I tried Congoblase's version of FrodoDS. Had a little more success running games. But the main problem now is that they are all running slow. I'd estimate around 80-85% of the original game. I've read ellshwere that it may be limitations with running the emulator on the DS. But surely the DS is capable of running these games at full speed? I'm not sure if any of the settings in Congoblase's version would make any difference to the speed.

db73
September 28th, 2008, 01:48
Not having much joy here. Tried about 25 .d64 roms so far & only about 5 have worked with or without 'true disk emulation' (nothing worked with that on. It just says 'loading' & that's as far as it seems to get). The games that do work all run at about 80% speed of the originals so what's the point?! Seems daft playing games in slow motion! Are people not talking about FrodoDS because it doesn't actually work that well? Brilliant effort on the part of the programmer but clearly it's got some way to go yet. I hope it gets there because it would be brilliant & I'd love to have my old C64 games on hand held. As it is unless there is actually a way to get things running at the right speed (nobody seems to have posted much about this that I can find) FrodoDs offers novelty value at best it seems.

congoblase
September 28th, 2008, 09:48
many games do work with true drive. you just have to wait until loading is finished. loading times were awfully long in those days.

db73
September 28th, 2008, 11:17
many games do work with true drive. you just have to wait until loading is finished. loading times were awfully long in those days.
Yes I remember. Manic Miner, released before the days of turbo load, went to abot 220 on the C64 tape counter before loading :) With true disk emulation enabled does anything happen on the screen? For me it just said 'loading' & then sat there. The screen didn't change so I assumed it wasn't working.

Loading times aside is there anything we can do about the games speed on the settings page of your version of FrodoDS? Getting the games to run is one thing but if they all run at 80% it seems a bit daft even trying in the first place. Great to see those games on my DS screen but they are not really playable at the speed they run.

db73
September 28th, 2008, 13:00
Been scouring the boards for snippets of info that sound like they could help with the speed issue. This sounded interesting;

When the field "Limit speed" is active, the emulation is slowed down when its relative speed exceeds 100%. If you set the value in "Every (n)th frame" so that the speed is just over 100% and activate the speed limiter, the emulation always runs at the original C64 speed, with the highest possible precision.

Bri-
September 28th, 2008, 16:29
I've been able to get most games to work, including Raid on Bungeling Bay using Congoblase's version. Most games do run slowly without upping the frame skip. Someone mentioned that they think it's due to the sound emulation because when the sound got accidentally disabled it ran much faster. If that's true, an option to disable the sound would help speed things up until a real solution can be found.

Some (but not many) do require the true disk emulation. Those that do take a very long time to load (just like the real thing). Once loaded, immediately save the game state (.fss file) so that the next time you want to play you can load that instead (those load instantly).

-Bri

db73
September 28th, 2008, 21:18
Some (but not many) do require the true disk emulation. Those that do take a very long time to load (just like the real thing). Once loaded, immediately save the game state (.fss file) so that the next time you want to play you can load that instead (those load instantly).

-Bri
With the True Disk Emulation enabled what happens after you run the game with load"*",8,1? For me it just sits there with the screen showing 'loading'. Is that right & do you just leave it alone? I somehow imagined something happening on screen like the old loading coloured bars or something.

I've being trying .d64 ROMS from different places. Action Biker from one site didn't work at all. I DL'd it from a different site & this worked. I'v been using these sites for ROMS;

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?section=roms&dat=576
http://www.c64.com/

Bri-
September 29th, 2008, 01:49
The loading colorbars appear for some games, but not for others. It usually sits there for a loooong time. Then it will either start running automatically or sometimes you'll get a BASIC prompt again and I think you can type "RUN" to make the game run.

Honestly, there aren't many games that I've had to use compatibility mode for. But then again, there are many games I haven't tried too.

Try http://gamebase64.com/index.php

Some of the games are in tape format (.t64). You can use DirMaster to convert them into disks. DirMaster 2.0 can be found here: http://www.style64.org/index.php?cid=rele

-Bri

db73
September 29th, 2008, 12:34
Cheers, Bri.

I'll try some more files from different sites. Those the don't work I'll give the TDE a try. From what your saying if I do get them loaded then I shold be able to just take a snapshot for speedy loading in the future.

.... now if we could just get the speed issue fixed :thumbup:

Bri-
September 29th, 2008, 13:07
Until emulation speed is increased (or perhaps until there's an option to turn off sound to increase speed), you can always change the frame skip, but it will make it more choppy. I think the default is to skip 3 frames, but if you make it 4 it will run faster.

-Bri

db73
September 29th, 2008, 21:17
I've been downloading some .d64 files, that wouldn't previously work, from different sites (namely PlanetEmu.net) & I've been enjoying more success :) The frame skip also seems to work pretty well & speeds the games up a bit. Some games even seem to run at just about the right speed with the frame skip set to default.

Tried Cauldron 2 several times. It runs okay but I don't get any sprite collision detection - I can just pass right through enemies with no ill effects. Sometimes I even fall through platforms! Hope I can figure this one out as Cauldron 2 was one of my favourite C64 games. I've checked that sprite detection (or whatever that setting is called) is on & it is. Strange.

Frame skip works but is not ideal. As you say it can make the game a little choppy. Be a shame to have to turn the sound off as well, if that was an option that could solv the speed issue. Here's hoping for a speed increase to the emaultion from one of you clever coders out there ;)

Bri-
October 1st, 2008, 22:03
Sprite collision also doesn't work with Fort Apocalypse, so I'm guessing it's a known incompatibility with Frodo. By the way, you can install the PC version of Frodo to test games first to make sure that it's not the emulator itself that's at fault rather than the DS port of the emulator.

-Bri

db73
October 3rd, 2008, 19:22
Sprite collision also doesn't work with Fort Apocalypse, so I'm guessing it's a known incompatibility with Frodo. By the way, you can install the PC version of Frodo to test games first to make sure that it's not the emulator itself that's at fault rather than the DS port of the emulator.
Shame that. Cauldron II was a great game ......... not to mention hugely frustrating. Actually it's probably best it doesn't work!

I've been having much better success with Congoblase's version of FrodoDS. Some games don't seem to work though - Barbarian 2 loads, you select your player & then the game crashes back to the 'ready' screen. I've not had much joy with 'Thrust' either. Would love to get that up & running. It loads but it doesn't seem to respond to the joypad. I seem to recall playing that game on my 64 with the keyboard. I'm sure it supported joysticks though.

db73
October 5th, 2008, 19:08
Has anyone got a working .d64 of Alien Syndrome? I've tried loads & I can't find one that works. With TDE enabled I get as far as the loading screen. Then the screen goes blue & that's as far as I get.

henk777
October 6th, 2008, 16:19
Hi Guys,

After the last update fordo works on my M3ds-simply. I just dropped the package on the root ater substracting it. All the games in the package does work, accept some dont seem to respond on buttons (cant start some games). The problem is that i cant play roms that I;ve downloaded myself, like hunchback 1&2 and cauldron 1&2, and onther bunch of old classics. The the snapshop seem tom work the .ffs fils are there aftyer using the x button, but i get the message that the file isnt there. Any suggestions?

thanks!

henk777
October 6th, 2008, 16:22
o yea, I downloaded them form (''c64'' and ''theoldcomputer.com/Libarary's/Emulation/C64/Roms/Blast/C64_roms_summary''). Someone experience with these sources?

henk777
October 6th, 2008, 17:20
Ok, I tried to load an rom form the frodo on my pc, I loaded the rom under preferences under divices 8, and then ryped LOAD"$",8 the drive seems to work, cause of the green light flikking, but then it says loading from 0801 (2049) to 08FF. ready

...noting happenbs?

please help

crookedmouth
October 7th, 2008, 01:34
You really should download the newest version with the menu.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148129660&postcount=73

When the buttons don't seem to work, have you tried switching the Joystick ports?

The Blast compilations require you to use the parameter - LOAD"B*",8,1 then type RUN. You will get a menu with numbered games. I'm afraid the loader won't work so you will need to note the number of your game then RESET and Type LOAD"1",8,1 for instance if you want to load the number 1 game from the menu.
Load"$",8 is the command to load the directory of Device 8(disk), you need to type LIST to see the directory

db73
October 7th, 2008, 17:21
The Blast compilations require you to use the parameter - LOAD"B*",8,1 then type RUN. You will get a menu with numbered games.
Not quite related to your comments but it got me thinking - Could the LOAD syntax be what's stopping the Alien Syndrome .d64 I downloaded from working? It was 2 files, Side A & B (it was ripped from a tape version of the game). I seem to recall this being a multiload game. Most of the games I've downloaded & got working so far have been sinlge load games (as far as I'm aware). But some games (Barbaian 2 for example) crashes after the character selection screen. Thinking back I'm sure this section was followed by the level loading. It's the same with Alien Syndrome, which I also remember being multiload. You get so far through the loading process them nothing happens or it crashes. I guess this is happening where the next section of the game file should be loading. So how do you run multiload games with Frodo?

crookedmouth
October 8th, 2008, 03:40
Not quite related to your comments but it got me thinking - Could the LOAD syntax be what's stopping the Alien Syndrome .d64 I downloaded from working? It was 2 files, Side A & B (it was ripped from a tape version of the game). I seem to recall this being a multiload game. Most of the games I've downloaded & got working so far have been sinlge load games (as far as I'm aware). But some games (Barbaian 2 for example) crashes after the character selection screen. Thinking back I'm sure this section was followed by the level loading. It's the same with Alien Syndrome, which I also remember being multiload. You get so far through the loading process them nothing happens or it crashes. I guess this is happening where the next section of the game file should be loading. So how do you run multiload games with Frodo?

I think it could be more your copy of the .d64, quite possible because of the converted tape. Alien Syndrome works for me(although I had to use 1541 emulation). I haven't been able to get Barbarian 2 working yet however.
The only reason you need to use LOAD"B*",8,1 for the Blast compilations is that the first PRG file on the disk is a "dummy" file, so loading it using the LOAD"*",8,1 will just load nothing. The correct file to load starts with a "B", at least for the Blast compilations. I found a lot of "cracked" programs have the same thing, so you need to LOAD"$",8 and LIST to find the correct file.
Many 2 disk games work fine so it's hard to trouble shoot. Frodo sometimes will corrupt a disk if it has to write to disk, other times it is fine.
Check your PMs.

db73
October 10th, 2008, 11:05
Is it possible to use cheat codes with FrodoDS like you could on the original C64? For example here are some cheats for Manic Miner for the C64;

http://www.gamewinners.com/C64/ManiacMiner.htm

Is it possible to use these with FrodoDS & how would you do it? I tried entering one of the codes before loading the game but that didn't do anything. Can't remember how I used to enter these things on my old C64.

Bri-
October 11th, 2008, 14:34
I think you have to type those commands at the BASIC prompt after loading the game but before running the game.

-Bri

db73
October 11th, 2008, 20:02
I think you have to type those commands at the BASIC prompt after loading the game but before running the game.

-Bri

Ah yes. That did the trick. Infinite lives in Manic Miner are mine ;) Bet I still can't finish the damn thing!!

db73
October 12th, 2008, 11:53
........ except I get to chamber 17 & die instantly before the level even appears!! Repeat ad-infinitum!! What happened there??!

db73
October 13th, 2008, 11:06
Question: If I load a game into FrodoDS, make changes to the settings & then make a snapshot, are the setting changes I made (e.g. joystick port, skip frames etc.) saved as part of the snap shot?

crookedmouth
October 14th, 2008, 04:50
Question: If I load a game into FrodoDS, make changes to the settings & then make a snapshot, are the setting changes I made (e.g. joystick port, skip frames etc.) saved as part of the snap shot?

I don't think so,I think it just works with the disk image but of course I could be wrong.

If you like you can use the edit button to make changes to your last post, instead of repeatedly posting. :)

Skeckulous
October 25th, 2008, 21:34
So I'm pretty new at all this and spent a while reading through the various threads you guys have posted up here.
I've been trying to get Mail Order Monsters to work on this emulator but haven't gotten past the EA load screen.
It turns white and a black dot appears in the top left corner and it freezes.
Any ideas?

That's my favorite c64 game from when I was a kid. Got to meet a few of the creators a while back too!

Thanks for any help.

System info:
R4
Running latest version of GPF's emulator

Side note:
The emulator on his site doesn't work straight off. You need to create the RD folder with the proper files. There isn't a readme in the zip and it's very confusing to figure it all out unless you are a EMU junkie and read through piles of threads to troubleshoot.

Magwart
October 26th, 2008, 18:46
I have an odd problem. I am attempting to play 'Champions of Krynn', it loads up and I can create a character, but before I can go any further I must save it to disk, it is mandatory.

I have a blank disk, which I load as the active image while the game is running. But it always tells me it fails, and asks if I want to format it into a save disk. I do so, and it just repeats itself.

I've used multiple versions of FrodoDS, right now I'm using the version from September 14th. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I may fix this issue? :)

Skeckulous
October 27th, 2008, 09:44
OK got it to work eventually. Had to set everything to super slow settings (1541).

Also here's a quick answer to the blank disk problem, as I had the same problem for Mail Order Monsters for my Owner's Disk.
Go here:
http://almighty.c64.org/d64editor.html

Grab that editor.

Make a copy of a disk or a blank disk with the proper name (see tutorial here: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/commodore/8bit-emulation-faq/part3/).

Tell me if it works out for you. Looks like it's working for me for M.O.M.

Also tell me what the name might be for the disk. I might want to play that game too!
And if you are a NWN player check out:
www.krynnhaven.com
A Dragonlance NWN mod world.

Magwart
October 27th, 2008, 20:19
Humm. It seems that the game sees the disk, but it seemed to before, and ofcourse it gives me the 'failed' message.

However, this may be because I did something wrong. I'm not exactly sure what I'm suppose to be looking for in the tutorial, and what to do with the editor. Do you mind expanding on exactly what you're suggesting?

Skeckulous
October 27th, 2008, 20:26
In that tutorial it is suggested to grab an image of the MOM disk and then just rename it. You have to rename it with that disk editor program I listed.
I'm guessing it's going to be a similar situation for the Krynn game too.
So you'd copy your disk file then open up the copy and rename it to some title that would be acceptable to the program. That's the hard part... Finding out what that name is.

On a side note... Does anyone have a good working copy of Mail Order Monsters?
I got to the battle screen on the Tournament Setting and it crashes out sometime during the battle.
Any ideas?

GPF
October 28th, 2008, 07:52
In that tutorial it is suggested to grab an image of the MOM disk and then just rename it. You have to rename it with that disk editor program I listed.
I'm guessing it's going to be a similar situation for the Krynn game too.
So you'd copy your disk file then open up the copy and rename it to some title that would be acceptable to the program. That's the hard part... Finding out what that name is.

On a side note... Does anyone have a good working copy of Mail Order Monsters?
I got to the battle screen on the Tournament Setting and it crashes out sometime during the battle.
Any ideas?

Definetly try ever thing first in a the frodo pc emulator first, if you can't get it to work there its not going to work on the ds version unfortunetly.

Troy

Skeckulous
October 28th, 2008, 08:38
Yep. That's what I thought.
It seems to work fine in Frodo on my PC but crashes on the DS to the load screen.

:(

Love the app btw. Great work!

Magwart
January 17th, 2009, 20:28
Hey all again.
Got another problem, it seems that the D-Pad in the Sept 14th build is being odd. Still trying to play Champions of Krynn, and it needs the arrow keys. But it seems that its not using the D-Pad for the arrow keys, instead its using seemingly random keys.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. :)

crookedmouth
January 20th, 2009, 16:12
Hey all again.
Got another problem, it seems that the D-Pad in the Sept 14th build is being odd. Still trying to play Champions of Krynn, and it needs the arrow keys. But it seems that its not using the D-Pad for the arrow keys, instead its using seemingly random keys.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. :)

For CoK use joystick port 2, this worked fine for me but Saving didn't work for me even with 1541 emulation on.

Magwart
January 20th, 2009, 20:37
Thank you! I wish I'd known that earlier, all these months of boredom. ;) *Gets his tactical on*

As for the save part, I created all my characters on the PC and transfered them by using a blank disk and have been using save states from then on.

I forget exactly how I did it, but as long as the game doesn't require a save, you can play fine.

crookedmouth
January 23rd, 2009, 01:54
Thank you! I wish I'd known that earlier, all these months of boredom. ;) *Gets his tactical on*

As for the save part, I created all my characters on the PC and transfered them by using a blank disk and have been using save states from then on.

I forget exactly how I did it, but as long as the game doesn't require a save, you can play fine.

Thanks, I had been playing Pool of Radiance awhile back and forgot I was just using savestates, though I could save characters in the beginning. Love the "Goldbox" D&D games.

AzeveL
January 27th, 2009, 13:17
why not work in my supercard SD ?

crookedmouth
January 29th, 2009, 12:27
why not work in my supercard SD ?

It should work.

What errors are you getting and how far can you get?

Which version are you using?

Magwart
January 29th, 2009, 23:39
An interesting problem I'm having with Ultima VI as you can see here (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=isxX6Jc4low) *click*. It won't even graphically load normally, with the emulation option on it will load, but I only get sound.

With the save state, I get uh, well - you see it.

Any suggestions?

(Been playing CoK like crazy ;) )

AzeveL
January 30th, 2009, 12:29
now i have patchet with DLDI and work!:thumbup:

p.s. HEAD THE BALL(the best c64 games for me) is very slow :....(

i have make a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryunSNG0o2Y

crookedmouth
February 1st, 2009, 03:58
now i have patchet with DLDI and work!:thumbup:

p.s. HEAD THE BALL(the best c64 games for me) is very slow :....(

i have make a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryunSNG0o2Y

Use the newest version with changes by congoblase. This has a nice menu.

Rename your RD folder to D64. Run this version of frodods(splash screen has a frog).Read the instructions, touch the screen to enter the emulator.

Press Select, go to Advanced Setup Options, Press A . From this menu navigate to Skip Frames and press Right to raise it to 3. Check if Head Ball is playable. If not raise Skip Frames to 4 but that is pretty much the max before all games become too choppy.

An interesting problem I'm having with Ultima VI as you can see here (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=isxX6Jc4low) *click*. It won't even graphically load normally, with the emulation option on it will load, but I only get sound.

With the save state, I get uh, well - you see it.

Any suggestions?

(Been playing CoK like crazy ;) )

After looking into this I get the same results. This is the first game,so far, that works in Frodo on the PC but not this port on the DS. I tried some tricks like using the Frodo.fpr from the PC version, which has things like Limit Speed enabled. I saved a snapshot in the FrodoPC(perfect Cycle version) and transfered that over to the DS. Nothing worked. Last time I checked Ultima V didn't work either but I'll have to check. I think it requires disk saves that freezes the emulation, but this could be a false memory. Ultima V is a great game too.

Sektor
February 1st, 2009, 04:12
Is the source code to Congoblase's latest version available?

crookedmouth
February 1st, 2009, 14:57
Is the source code to Congoblase's latest version available?

He didn't supply it with the binary. He only gave the source for the original changes after you emailed him.

Perhaps email him again? :)

AzeveL
February 2nd, 2009, 14:08
Use the newest version with changes by congoblase. This has a nice menu.

Rename your RD folder to D64. Run this version of frodods(splash screen has a frog).Read the instructions, touch the screen to enter the emulator.

Press Select, go to Advanced Setup Options, Press A . From this menu navigate to Skip Frames and press Right to raise it to 3. Check if Head Ball is playable. If not raise Skip Frames to 4 but that is pretty much the max before all games become too choppy.

ok i have try,is better but i don't like the frameskip too hight:...(

Bye
;-Q

crookedmouth
March 4th, 2009, 13:30
I've been playing Ultima V. Its a bit finicky but if you use the PC version to get past the beginning and onto the main map from the cottage, you can play without 1541 emulation on. The trick is to make the game ask for the disk, so when going into a towne for instance make sure the Towne disk is not in queue.

IP64
June 17th, 2009, 10:30
That's so great!! Little more speed and it would be perfect. =)

spinal_cord_
July 4th, 2009, 20:22
Frodo.nds (http://socoder.net/uploads/124/FrodoDS.nds)

I had to start over with GPF's version of frodo, current features are -

Resized to 75% to smoothly fit the C64 screen onto the DS.
Managed to drop the frame skip from 3 to 2 by lowering the sound quality. This makes for a bit smoother gameplay with a hardly noticable drop in audio quality.
Added (cheated really) a simple way to auto load different files from a D64 image...

1. Select the .D64 file, the contents should automatically list onto the screen.
2. Hold 'R' button and tap UP or DOWN to get the cursor to the same line as the file you want to load.
3. While still holding 'R' Tap 'A' the file should now load and run automatically.

Also some games made a clicking noise, I have changed the audio buffer size, this seems to have removed the clicking.

bombdog
July 5th, 2009, 12:05
Excellent - thank you!
Will give this a try.

crookedmouth
July 7th, 2009, 03:01
Frodo.nds (http://socoder.net/uploads/124/FrodoDS.nds)

I had to start over with GPF's version of frodo, current features are -

Resized to 75% to smoothly fit the C64 screen onto the DS.
Managed to drop the frame skip from 3 to 2 by lowering the sound quality. This makes for a bit smoother gameplay with a hardly noticable drop in audio quality.
Added (cheated really) a simple way to auto load different files from a D64 image...

1. Select the .D64 file, the contents should automatically list onto the screen.
2. Hold 'R' button and tap UP or DOWN to get the cursor to the same line as the file you want to load.
3. While still holding 'R' Tap 'A' the file should now load and run automatically.

Also some games made a clicking noise, I have changed the audio buffer size, this seems to have removed the clicking.

Sounds real cool spinal!

Will check this out asap.

So this looks for "rd" as the folder right?

spinal_cord_
July 7th, 2009, 06:32
I think it does, at least i never though about changing it so if thats where the GPF version looks, then yes.

crookedmouth
July 7th, 2009, 07:31
I think it does, at least i never though about changing it so if thats where the GPF version looks, then yes.

The speed boost is great! Many games are way more playable.

The degraded sound though slightly noticeable in some of the games I tested was by in large unnoticeable.

I must admit that a combination between your alterations and congo's on-the-fly selection menus would be ultimate but either way great job as usual spinal!

I'm going to continue testing this of course, I want to see if some of the previously too choppy games can be playable now.

Thank you man!

spinal_cord_
July 7th, 2009, 19:42
One problem I have noticed (after trying the Wii port of frodo) is that mayhem in monsterland doesn't work, the bug that the game relies on isn't emulated in this version of frodo, shame. :(

But I can now play Creatures II at a reasonable speed...

IP64
July 11th, 2009, 12:55
Awesome work Spinal! Speed is now very good on most games. If you could add features just like on Congo's version that would be SUPERB.

crookedmouth
July 12th, 2009, 03:48
Congo did release the source to his second to last revision.

He said it was messy but I'll attach it here.

This doesn't have the programmable keys and the B button is mapped to something other then Space.

spinal_cord_
July 15th, 2009, 18:04
One thing I would like to do, is change the keyboard graphics. Would anyone here happen to know how to do that?

Eric
July 16th, 2009, 16:01
If there is a .png file in one of the folders you maybe able to edit the keyboard yourself if not its all built into the code and cannot be touched.

Eric
July 16th, 2009, 16:29
Let me correct myself there should be a .png file but if there isnt then there is no way you can do it.

Alfonx
August 7th, 2009, 21:51
Hi there !

First of all many, many thanks for all these great emus to all of you (Troy, congoblase, spinal,..). I like it to have my c64 screen on my DS :D:D:D

So - crookedmouth - did you tested Spinals Version ?

I got Troys Original FrodoDS and now i dont know which is better (congoblase or spinals) ?

I was very sad about the speed, thats the reason i read these postings here to find out there are other freaks with the same wishes :) Great !

So -someone got any news here ?

Alfonx
August 7th, 2009, 23:17
hm.. just tested both version and i prefer the congoblase's version (more option and speed is ok at frame skip 3/4).
hmm... With Frameskip 4 its running good (the sound and gameplay) but it could be better.
Tested with my favorite games COMMANDO und GIANA SISTERS :)

so - because of spinals Version - GIANA SISTERS is a little bit slowly (music).

So i think the Version of CongoBlase is good but frameskip 4 is hmmm.....
Are there any plans to Update these Versions of Frodo ?

crookedmouth
August 16th, 2009, 05:57
Sorry I haven't been checking here much, seems the DS scene has pretty much stalled though spinal's effort is great.

@Alfonx - IMO frameskip 4 is not an option. It causes too much staggering. I want to enjoy the games with some semblance of what they were. Some games play great at frameskip 2-3 with congoblase version. Of course I love the menu and options in congo's but you should re-test spinal's modified version. Try something like R-type or Arkanoid. I bet you will find framskip 4 in Arkanoid = unplayable while spinal's version is playable at FS 2.

Ultimately a combination of spinal's and congo's versions would be good. spinal's palette is also different too. Whether this could happen is hard to tell since as I mentioned, everything seems to have stalled.

Alfonx
August 16th, 2009, 19:24
Thanks to your replay, crookedmouth !!! I see- we both are crazy about playing these old 80s pixel-games in 2009 (he, he) ?

Hm.. so i have to test spins version again....
Thats the last version, right ?
July 4th, 2009, 19:22

You wrote "unplayable while spinal's version is playable at FS 2." - how do i change the FPS in spinals version ?
ok- i give it a try. But how you (or some other) mentioned: Best Version would be: Spinals with congoblases menu/options, but lets see.

btw: did do you know about the pandora project ?
http://www.openpandora.org/index_en.php
?

crookedmouth
August 17th, 2009, 08:48
To change frameskip in spinal's version - open rd folder, open frodo.fpr with something like Notepad.

Find and change this setting to 2.
SkipFrames = 2

You don't have to test anything if you don't want to. :)

If your happy with frame skip of 4 then thats cool, just in my opinion the lower the better.

Yes I know about the Pandora project. I'm afraid I can only sit on the sidelines and drool when it comes out. I'm afraid I couldn't justify the over 300 dollar price to my wife but on a positive note I was able to make a deal and get the GP Wiz, which I ordered for my birthday. It's no Pandora but it has it's merits.

AmenUK
August 17th, 2009, 16:02
Hi,
I'm new to all this homebrew stuff as I've only started to look at it since yesterday. I was happy to get this C64 emulator up and running this morning (huge learning curve).
Tested a few games
Uridium, Paradroid, Commando, Frontline and they are working.
The only game that was not working so far was Arkanoid.

One thing that I was baffled was the instructions on how to select a game.
Its says press the right trigger button....

This is not quite accurate.

What you need to do is
1 press the left trigger finger to get a list of games in the /rd directory.
2 scroll down to the one you want
3 press the 'A' button to go back to the C64 screen
4 press the right trigger finger
(which will now load and run the game you selected)

I hope the developers get a chance to read this, as the C64 was my first l0ve and you all deserve a big tellietubbie hug.

crookedmouth
August 18th, 2009, 03:50
Hi AmenUK,

You should test out the "congoblase" version with nice menu and GUI changes. Explanation is on second splash screen.

Also Spinal's speedier version which has more playable speed.
http://socoder.net/uploads/124/FrodoDS.nds

Read about it here
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148235348&postcount=143

goodluck :)

Alfonx
August 20th, 2009, 07:21
Hi crooked !
Ive tested the emus a second time but its difficult to describe...

Spinals Version is running faster at 2 frameskip - no doubt.
But Giana Sisters is a little bit slow.
Perhaps i can fix it with Spinals EMU and Frameskip 3-4.

I have the Giana.nds for a comparsion - look here:
http://galway.c64.org/gianads/ (great !!!! - look at the graphic/size is bigger than in real EMU).

This speed is my "Reference" for the comparsion.

With Congoblase Version i had to chose Frameskip >5 to reach the speed (circa - i'm not very good in estimating speed differences in Detail...).

Yes - i should not forget that
http://galway.c64.org/gianads/
is optimized and is not very good for a comparsion with an "universal" C64 emu - but what shall i do..

but i got some questions:
Spinals Version: is there a way to save/load the state ?
Is there a document for the buttons (i thing x/y are changing something when i push the buttons but i dont know what?!).

so - for now i am a litttle bit confused about which EMU is better.... I like the Screen resizing, load/save state etc. of congoblases Version - perhaps he could optimize his Version to make it running faster (and spinal was doing some "hacks" / lowering sound quality i guessed, right ?).

BTW: I see - wenn im turning SID Filter off in congoblase's version its running faster, too.
So perhaps these are all things what can be done to have it running quicker.

But - for now confused enough (tested the emus this morning - thats a good start for a working day to play giana sisters in the morning :) ).

crookedmouth
August 21st, 2009, 00:29
Hey Alfonx,

Cool sounds like your having fun!

Spinal's should have snapshots. Pressing X will save a snapshot of your current loaded game. Y should load it.

Another nice feature of Congo's is that you can place folders within the D64 folder that contain games with too many disks to keep track of. Like Ultima 5 for instance, I have a U5 folder for these disks.

shodan06
August 22nd, 2009, 18:35
Hi Guys. I have installed c64 on my ds, with .d64 files in the "rd" folder. I don't know what I am doing wrong! I can't work out how to get it to load! Does the c64 program need to be set up to find the rom and load it?. If so, Please would someone tell me how to do it?. Cheers

P.S It's alright now i've worked it out

Alfonx
August 27th, 2009, 18:41
Hi all.

At the end i just wanted to say that i'm finally using Congoblase's EMU Version now.

Im really happy to have so much c64 stuff on my ds.

So i think i have an occupation till i'm receiving my pension ..... :thumbup: Thank you coders !!! :thumbup:

jaffacakelover
September 16th, 2009, 16:11
OK, i've tried 3 versions now. I'm liking spinal_cord's version: It's fast, but the method of loading is a bit fiddly. Also, some of my games have lots of files in the cart, so the game itself goes off the top of the screen and can't be reached.
Is there an option to auto-load games like the 'original' FrodoDS does, or could it be added?

ciabbi
January 14th, 2010, 11:48
Hi all!

Only for say many, many and many thanks for all persons who had contribute to create/modify this emulator so, thanks Troy, Congoblase, Spinal and thanks to the others.

I try some games and the improvements from original frodo are marked.

GREAT JOB GUYS!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

ciabbi
February 3rd, 2010, 11:46
Now I'm playing with GP TENNIS MANAGER, its a multiload game and there is a point after a loading that the game simply freeze :(.

This is one of my favourite games on c64 so I tried to find a solution to that and finally after many attempts I discovered one, and I hope this may help everyone who had this type of problem after a loading:

go to Advance Setup Options and set Normal Cycles and BadLine Cycles to a value that can be "good for the game"

for me, the right combination is
Normal Cycles [78]
BadLine Cycles [40]

yes maybe find that values could be take many attemps but i think it's a litle cost for the NOSTALGIA :)

ps.: If you have a .tap game, simple load it with frodo for win and save a snapshot. Copy the fss in the cartridge and no more problem :-)

ps2.: thank you frodoDS developers :-)

randygland
February 19th, 2011, 19:01
so where the hell is frodoDS?

bombdog
February 20th, 2011, 17:39
It is, as Google can helpfully provide, 'the hell' here.... http://gtamp.com/jumpman/

mczero
February 22nd, 2011, 16:15
Hi all,

I would like to take up on improving FrodoDS, especially the speed by using pure assembler code in some places.

But I have problems getting the standard FrodoDS sourcecode to compile!
There are libnds changes that leave me wondering how to overcome those to get it compile correctly.

Could someone, Troy Davis or spinalcord or congoblase give me a libnds version that frodods compiles correctly with?
Or other way around a frodods sourcecode that is modified to compile with recent libnds versions.

Because all older libnds versions aren't available anymore on sourceforge.

Thank you!

sonz
March 1st, 2011, 22:40
Could someone, Troy Davis or spinalcord or congoblase give me a libnds version that frodods compiles correctly with?
Or other way around a frodods sourcecode that is modified to compile with recent libnds versions.

Because all older libnds versions aren't available anymore on sourceforge.

Thank you!

Hi,
maybe i got the libnds you are looking for.
Found the following in my Archiv :

libnds-20071023.tar.bz2
libfat-nds-20070127.tar.bz2

as far i remember i could complie on of the FrodoVersion with them, but
might be a misslead.

Please reply to this Message in the Board since i'm not often logged in ;)

Greets,
SonZ

Sektor
March 2nd, 2011, 00:15
Best not to distribute old libnds versions. Better to update Frodo to use the latest. Where can I get the latest FrodoDS source code?

HollowKyo
March 23rd, 2011, 01:32
where is the link to download this

NewBoy
April 5th, 2011, 11:53
Help ! How do I find this new download ? Ive tried clicking on the link under "I have updated my website", but just get redirected to a load of threads and cant find the file !
Sorry if Im being a bit dumb ! but please help !

NewBoy
April 13th, 2011, 12:31
Is this a wind up ?
The link goes nowhere and I cant find the download anywhere ?

crookedmouth
April 19th, 2011, 23:21
This is the version you want. It is the newest version with some great enhancement from a coder named congoblase.

disk images go in a folder named d64 in the root of your card.

KingVidiot
October 7th, 2011, 00:01
Wow, I have run through every file placement configuration and update trick, and I still get no closer than "?device not ready" when I choose a D64 file with the left button and launch with the right button, or manually enter the launch path from the keyboard. I have tried the old versions as well as the rom disk builder versions.

Currently I am running the latest version from the Rapidshare link. I am using a Supercard DSTWO on a Nintendo 3ds.
I am able to run the Atari 2600, Gameboy, MAME, Duke Nukem, and Quake emulators with no problem.

Any ideas? I'm really excited about playing some c64 stuff, so hopefully my many hours of testing and rebooting weren't in vain.

German00
July 21st, 2015, 19:37
Something is wrong here. I try to play C64-Games like BlueMax oder Galaxy on my Nintendo 3DS. The blue screen appears, so far so gut. With the left trigger there is a black screen, I chose t64 or d64 files, doesn't matter. Right click A-Button to confirm. After that back in the blue C64-Basic Screen --> right trigger to write the: LOAD"*",8,1 but then there is this error:

DEVICE NOT PRESENT

I already tried to put the game files on the root, and in a /rd folder (which is on the root) and so on. But still the error message. What can I do?

I got this card: R4i RTS Gold 3 DS Revolution