PDA

View Full Version : DC VGA Mod Problem

sixtyten
May 30th, 2008, 01:26
Alright, so, I've been working on this mod for a long time, and I keep coming up with problems. I'm now onto trying this with my second Dreamcast, and I've had this problem with both of them, and the exact same problem at that, but maybe this isn't even a problem at all. I've been testing as I go along to make sure everything is working. I'll get the audio working, then I'll get the switch working, however, once I solder the H-Sync and the V-Sync and then the three red, green and blue signals, I stop outputting any video other than VGA (as far as I can tell, as I haven't finished exactly, but I don't know what else it would be doing). Now, I haven't proceeded past this point yet, because, I don't understand why this would happen. Do I need to actually finish? This puzzles me, because I don't see why it would stop outputting any other signal. Just because I've put wires to those points, shouldn't change anything, I shouldn't have to finish to get any other kind of signal, right? Note: I am still getting sound when I do this.

Edit: Found my problem after a lengthy trial and error...maybe found an easier way to do the mod as well...

Triv1um
May 30th, 2008, 11:58
Care to share how you done it?

sixtyten
May 31st, 2008, 18:54
Care to share how you done it?
Followed the points on the other side of the board from where people normally solder to their source. Probably not a new method. Haven't actually tried it yet, due to frustration from the other way but, I saw pictures from someone else doing the mod and they either did a different mod, or did the same thing that I'm thinking about doing.

sixtyten
May 31st, 2008, 22:52
Ok wow, I have no idea at all what is going on. I did this all again, and once again, when I finished, no video. Last time it was because I had a bit of solder connecting the composite video to another pin, but this time, everything is perfect. I'm seriously so through with this mod. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Or, has anyone done this mod to a US Dreamcast?

EDIT:
I think this wasn't working possibly because of the region switch mod. Even touching a wire to the 5V would stop it from working. Maybe both of these mods somehow don't give the rest of the Dreamcast enough power or something? This is the only thing I can think of, as both of my Dreamcasts have this.

kohan69
July 19th, 2008, 22:31
Where is your switch?
follow this schematic:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/3048/dricasis5.gif

or this one:
http://www.instructables.com/id/ELY6ELBE6QEWZMJ47P/

but i prefer the first one